• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Xstep Beginners Advice

Redwingsrox5

So I've been playing for almost two months. As I began throwing I decided to take it slow and simple by just doing a stand still drive rather than learn the Xstep off the rip. My reasoning behind this was that I didnt want to have to think about too much when throwing when I didnt even know how to throw yet. Now that my throws have gotten more consistant, I think I'm ready to start practicing the Xstep. The issue I have now is I dont know where to begin. I've watched videos and everyone has their own opinion on how to work up to the full 3 steps, and everyone seems to have a different approach, speed and form. I've seen a lot of players do a very controlled, calm Xstep and have a smooth release. Others are almost a run up going for that extra power. But what I've found interesting is that even though I stand still and drive, my drives aren't too far off from my friends who do Xstep to drive. Sometimes I even beat their drives. Anyhow, any advice on where/how/what to do for learning the Xstep would help. I've tried it a few times and my throws are all over the place. Thanks in advance.

Footwork
Footwork and balance will dictate the success and failure of your throw. If you are off balance and have a poor center of gravity a consistent and accurate throw will be very difficult to achieve without compensating in other ways. While it is possible to do, the most efficient techniques are those with good balance throughout the throw. You should be throwing with the X-step. If you use an extra run-up or stutter step, the X-step will be the last 3 steps of your throw. Try to stay light, quick, and smooth on your feet. Heavy steps will lead to mistiming and make shifting your weight more difficult. Make sure you get your weight over your front foot when you plant and start your throw. If your weight is behind your foot it will affect your throw in negative ways and also risk injuries to your knee and ankle. Use the explosion of your hips to start your body rotation. The direction of your feet will lead your hips, your hips will turn your torso, your torso will turn your shoulders, and your shoulders will lead your arm.

Run-Up
This is the part where you need to be coordinated, smooth, and somewhat rhythmic. Some players even take a running start before going into the classic run-up. I don't do this, nor do I recommend it, because I get out of control when I try it. For some people, though, it does help them get a rhythm. When I am feeling particularly out of rhythm, or unsure of a drive, I will bounce on the balls of my feet or shuffle my feet a little bit to get my rhythm before I start my run-up.

I have heard the proper run-up called a 3-step run-up, or X-step run-up, or Scissor-step run-up. They all refer to the same steps.

The 3-step run-up is really all about proper weight distribution and leverage to generate more momentum and power, and allowing for a proper pull back of the disc to maximize disc speed upon release. Being in control and balanced will also give you accuracy.

Start at the back of the tee pad. Whether you stand toward the middle, or right, or left will depend upon which way you want the disc to fly. You will learn this with experience. If you stand on the bottom right side, and make your run up across the tee pad and finish on the top left of the tee pad, it is a little easier to turn the disc over. Likewise, if you start at the bottom left, and make your run up across the tee pad and finish on the top right, it is a little easier to throw big hyzer. Straight run up makes straight shots a little easier. You can also do combinations of run up angle and the angle you release in order to accomplish different throws. For instance, I like to throw what I call a "straight hyzer" shot. I take a "turn over" angle on my run up, starting from bottom right and finishing at top left, but instead of throwing anhyzer angle, I release the disc with a little hyzer. In this way the disc flies very flat in a straight line with good distance. You will figure all this out in time as you experiment. Stand perpendicular to the basket/fairway, at the back of the tee pad. Your weight should be balanced between both of your feet. Your right foot should be closer to the basket than your left. Toes pointing 90 degrees away from basket or fairway. People with longer legs may have to actually stand off the back of the tee pad. You are going to take three steps and release. The smoother and more fluid (almost rhythmic) you can become at this, the better.

The first step is your right. Step outward toward the basket at about a 45 degree angle with your right foot. As you step, shift your weight onto your right foot. This can be a big or small step depending on what is comfortable.

Second step is your left. You need to step your left foot behind and past your right foot. You also need to turn so your left foot points behind you, in the direction of your pull back, opposite the direction of the basket/fairway. This will cause your legs, hips, back and shoulders to swivel. This is a good thing. As you swivel, you will need to execute your proper pull back of the disc and you will feel the natural shifting of your weight onto your left foot. In order to do a proper pull back, you will need to rotate your head with your shoulders, thus taking your eyes off your target. That's ok, you already knew where you planned to throw when you started this. You should now be reaching backward with the disc, with your back turned to the basket/fairway.

Third step is the right again. You accelerate as you go through this step and release. Allow your momentum to shift your weight toward the basket.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources

Last edited:
Just a couple general things...

If you have good or decent standstill shots, you may actually lose distance with an X-step for a little while. Until you have a good plant foot position/bracing (a tough issue for many people) you likely won't see much gains with an X-step, although it's still a good idea to practice it so the movement becomes more and more natural. Even so, don't expect to gain more than 10-20% distance for most people. I would imagine I see 10% difference, just it lets me throw a little easier to get that distance.

Go deliberate/balanced, not fast. Getting onto the instep of the back foot and the movement from this position into the plant is the important part. If you're going too fast you'll just run over the rear foot and get into the plant too quickly from your momentum, rather than actually transferring into it. Look at how deliberately Will Schusterick does this last stride. As well Paul McBeth never really runs into his shots, even on full power he tends to do a quick walk at most. Both these guys throw over 500' line drives. Compare that to lots of guys who run up and often throw 50' shorter than them when playing side by side. I'm not saying you shouldn't run up, just that speed is not necessary. It's all in the transfer of the last step.

Don't expect instant distance from adding the X-step. But eventually it's worth it and gives some consistency and tempo to the throw.