• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

YAY!! I've FINALLY GOT DARK DYES!!!

rusch_bag said:
Do you put the whole pack of dye in the bag?

I want to know the same thing. In addition, we've established that this does not work on KC Pro plastic, but does it work on normal pro driver plastic?

yeah, you can dye pro plastic. just be aware that it'll fade and spread relatively quick...meaning that in a bit of time (like maybe a month or so) a 1/4" solid line that was once clean and well defined will spread to maybe 3/8" and be kind of blurry on the sides.

Tim_the_Enchanter said:
yeah, you can dye pro plastic. just be aware that it'll fade and spread relatively quick...meaning that in a bit of time (like maybe a month or so) a 1/4" solid line that was once clean and well defined will spread to maybe 3/8" and be kind of blurry on the sides.

No problem, I would be doing solid dyes.

I've been dabbling lately, and have gone with the boil water and add dye method while letting the disc float in it after it cools. I've used both the liquid and powder rit, and can't really see a difference. However, make sure your mask is pressed down very well, especially in corners, as I had a couple bleed, but nothing too bad.

The Caravan dye is an ode to my van. If anyone has ever had the luxury of driving one, you know what I mean. If not, I know where you can get a 1991 Caravan with 247,800 miles for real cheap...

EDIT: PHOTO POSTING HELP!!!

Pointdisc, are you requesting a quick tutorial on how to post an image? First get a host for your pictures, I suggest Photobucket. It's free and easy to use. Once you get an account, upload your pictures and then get the URL for them, example, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CHEESEWHiZ/100_0343.jpg. To put it on the forum so it's visible use this [*img]IMAGE URL[*/img]. Just remove the asterisks and it will show up. Like this
100_0343.jpg

^ Dye of a green champ Roadrunner I did about a week ago. Used the gallon bag method.

Anakha said:
I see you have a DD Grim Reaper Surge in the bag, how's that working for you?

Furthest hyzerflip driver in my bag. :)
I use it for my big big bombs where I have open space. It flies similar to my slightly beat in champion orcs. I carry 4 orcs.

My brother let me borrow his vinyl machine at work and we did a practice dye on a beat up beast. It came out alright. "A" seeped through and we probably should have let the dye sit for a while longer. It was a while back but we used rit powder with isopropyl alcohol I think...

Picture%20181.jpg

Man wish I could get my hands on a vynil machine. That would rock.

stormcsut said:
Weeding out all the vinyl in his face and ears was a bitch...

I do all mine by hand so I'd gladly switch to a vinyl machine. save my neck and fingers lol.
those razor pens aren't exactly comfortable. :lol:
You have a bigger picture of the dye job?

Fritz said:
stormcsut said:
Weeding out all the vinyl in his face and ears was a bitch...

I do all mine by hand so I'd gladly switch to a vinyl machine. save my neck and fingers lol.
those razor pens aren't exactly comfortable. :lol:
You have a bigger picture of the dye job?

Yeah I hear ya man. My neck starts killin me after just a few minutes.
None of my friends have messaged me back that were in the sign industry that would know about Vinyl plotters. I needa nag em some more or something

Here's one I did last year. It has had a chance to bleed out a bit and looks good. The darker part of the star was supposed to be blue but it looks black. The rit blue doesn't work well and looks gray. To get my images I draw them in Adobe Illustrator, print them, cut them out on contact paper. I then stick them to the disc OPPOSITE of how I would dye them. Then I spread vaseline around the edges. I carefully take off the contact paper leaving the vaseline lines. I use a paint brush to apply the dye and usually do 3 coats for good coverage. As long as you don't smear the vaseline you get sharp lines with zero bleed.
wraith.jpg

Here's another. This one is about 2 years old so it has bled out some too. Red and black rit dye seem to show up the best.

falcon.jpg

Here's a dye I did last year. This one has bled a lot and looks fuzzy. The RIT yellow is also pretty crappy and dull looking.

orc.jpg

Look at this one, done by Macklin here in P-town, Oregon. This guy is amazing!
1268664237_959e9433e2_m.jpg

It's on his Star Aviar Putter

J-Man said:
Look at this one, done by Macklin here in P-town, Oregon. This guy is amazing!
1268664237_959e9433e2_m.jpg

It's on his Star Aviar Putter

J-Man I was going to post that one. That guy does some amazing dyes.