• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your Favorite Mold Went OOP. What was It and What Replaced It?

For me the current battle is to replace the Bard. M1 I tried to like and in 300 plastic I did like it, but the premium ones are so freaking deep feeling. Not sure what that is about.

Trying to decide between the Lonestar Middy and RPM Kotuku currently. Both throw really nice, and fly that nice straight to fade Bard flight with a tiny/no bead and very high shoulder.

The tangent was a tough blow to me... it was just a really comfortable disc. Sexy round edges felt great but kinda more of a flat putter/short mid kinda thing. Ended up working with putters a lot more to get the same shots, it ended up replaced with a cosmic soft electron envy with a neutron ohm as a 2nd.

Enter the Hex and Uplink.... So now instead of packing Envy/ Comet/ Tangent it's two envys a hex and a uplink. Though granted the hex and uplink go much farther but they still don't do that straight laser the same way. So not really replaced just reorganized around it.

For me the current battle is to replace the Bard. M1 I tried to like and in 300 plastic I did like it, but the premium ones are so freaking deep feeling. Not sure what that is about.

Have you tried the Verdict? They are definitely not deep. I wish they did not have any dome, however.

Have you tried the Verdict? They are definitely not deep. I wish they did not have any dome, however.

Yes, and it's good but the dome is why I don't like it that much.

Trying to decide between the Lonestar Middy and RPM Kotuku currently. Both throw really nice, and fly that nice straight to fade Bard flight with a tiny/no bead and very high shoulder.

Yeah I wish somebody would put a Bard in Ricky's hands because I think he'd like it. Really slept on mid. The Big Z Maltas fly fairly close.

I'm still hooked on heavy Classic Rocs. There's a slow glidey hover that the disc gets when you throw it hard and nose up that I can't seem to get out of anything else.

I recently picked up a Tomb, which holds a decent low putter line and is better for touch forehands, but I still can't quite do short-range shaping with it like I can with the classic.

Avenger was some kind of Goldilocks disc for my forehand. Not particularly comfortable in a FH grip, but just went straight and faded reliably.

Boatman and Anax are both pretty similar!

Have you tried a Star Rancho Roc?

Verdicts have dome now? That's disappointing. I have 3, from like 6 years ago, maybe older. One is a glow prototype, but they're all very flat. I love them, but haven't thrown them in a long time. I switched to an all MVP/Axiom bag around 5 years ago cause they were so consistent back then.

Speaking of which, the Patent Pending Crave is a disc I consider OOP, and I haven't found a replacement for it yet. The new ones aren't stable enough and are too domey to be useful in the wind.

I feel this way about the Innova Viking. It's not oop but it's definitely neglected. I have one flat, max weight Champion Valkyrie & it's so useful. It's not easy finding them around. I'd really like to have a collection.

This has happened to my partner twice, she threw Neutron Amps and Prototype Colts. Amp went OOP and the colt mold was tweaked when it went into regular production was deeper and less stable. She has since replaced them with roadrunners and envys.

Polecat :(
I've got a few backups, but been using the Star Sonic for the last couple seasons as a replacement.

I had a millennium Sniper.

When it went OOP I replaced it with a Innova Gremlin.

When it went OOP I replaced it with a Discmania Gremlin.

When it went OOP I replaced it with a Discmania GM.

Then it went OOP. I made sure I still had a healthy stash of fresh Innova Gremlins and Discmania GMs. Plus I have at least one used version of each variation.

Drone (and no I don't want to dig around to find limited runs)

I tried to replace it with a Quake, the Quake is way too straight but a great overstable Buzzz

Then I tried the Justice, which is even more overstable

So now I just run Justice-Quake-Buzzz

Drone (and no I don't want to dig around to find limited runs)

I tried to replace it with a Quake, the Quake is way too straight but a great overstable Buzzz

Then I tried the Justice, which is even more overstable

So now I just run Justice-Quake-Buzzz

I have a stack and barely play anymore. PM me if you want some Drones (I still bag one from 2008)

I feel this way about the Innova Viking. It's not oop but it's definitely neglected. I have one flat, max weight Champion Valkyrie & it's so useful. It's not easy finding them around. I'd really like to have a collection.

I feel your pain on the Viking. They just are not available. The few good ones I have left I am hesitant to throw for fear of losing.

I have transitioned to the Saint and the CD2- both of which are still hard to find but fly very similarly.
So between my stocks of Saints and CD2s I make do.

I have been told that I could trade each of my CD2s for three Vikings, but I don't know if that is true.

I feel your pain on the Viking. They just are not available. The few good ones I have left I am hesitant to throw for fear of losing.

I have transitioned to the Saint and the CD2- both of which are still hard to find but fly very similarly.
So between my stocks of Saints and CD2s I make do.

I have been told that I could trade each of my CD2s for three Vikings, but I don't know if that is true.
I feel like with the number of Innova 9 speed drivers you could find something equivalent. But then again, you might never find that weight/plastic/dome/PLH again.

Latest posts