• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your first disc golf course...

First "Frisbee Golf" was an course the Ultimate team use to play across the campus at NTSU/UNT, I actually have an old copy of the map. No longer playable as the campus has changed a lot. Probably in spring of 86.

First round on a course with baskets was in Plano in December of 1986, I used my Ultimate Frisbee and only played it once.

Discovered Golf Discs at a UNT Union sponsored mini, I was playing with the organizer and two guys that had golf discs. I ask them were to get them and drove down to Carrollton (20 miles) to purchase my first 2 discs in the rain. Drove by Greenbelt which was flooded so I knew where the course was. I started playing almost every day and never went back to Ultimate.

That was April of 88

Sherando Park in Stephens City VA. One of the older courses in the area. The OG layout which was in another section of the park and it opened in 1980. They then moved it across the road to it's current location in 1998. Most players in our area would probably say it's the first course they ever played. I still go out there from time to time for some Ace runs. Fun little course.
I played the old course, one of the first courses I traveled to. There were a couple really cool holes across a big ravine iirc.

Mine was Burke Lake Park in Fairfax VA in '82 or '83. Probably started with a SuperPro and then graduated to 133 fastbacks. Saw guys playing with golf discs and was intrigued. A couple folks let me try one and I had the same result most folks have early on, do these thing do anything but go left? Saw a Wham-O 86 on sale at Bradlees (think K-Mart) and grabbed it. My brother-in-law couldn't believe I was going to use it in one of our matches. I think I shot 2 under and lost, but that was much better than either of us thought I would do. That was it, we both moved on to golf discs and our scores improved. Think my next two were a hard P-38 Lightning and a patent pending Aero. Still have them I think.

BTW, to go with my post above, these are the 2 discs I purchased at DJ sporting goods 4/22/88.

The first time I threw them, I threw the Eagle 300ft to the left, then threw the Lighting 300ft to the right. By the end of the round I had them figured out.
first discs.jpg

I have been playing on a regular basis ever since and still love the game.
Pretty easy when you have a course in your yard :cool:

Good to see you post Nascar, need to come play your course again someday. You still got that Classic Roc I left on your course?