• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Your GoTo Speed 9/10 Driver

Lat 64 Opto Line Saint. Long and straigth with a consistent fade at the end. Works everytime!

Couldn't say it better. Once that Saint beats in, replace it with another, and use the beat-in one for straight shooting, then turning shots as it beats in more.

I've taken one Opto Saint pretty much to this point after losing its twin: a year and a half as primary driver, probabluy over 400 rounds. Opto is just tough as nails. I have backups that are all "wtf?" because I haven't needed them yet.

To those saying "Viking," that has been at the top of my Innova to try list for a while. Pretty sure I'd like it, especially in DX.

My 171g Glow Champion Valkyrie has been my go to driver in this category. Started using it earlier this year and it has been a great addition. I love using it FH and BH for long laser shots that I don't have to put a lot of effort into.

Yes of course my Firebird is incredible but that should go without mentioning.

Agreed. Which is why I still have a couple *DS or Wraiths in the bag, depending on the course. But you'd have to admit that a narrower rim produces a more controllable disc, as does the simple effect of magnification of small mistakes when carried and stretched over great distances.

My question is really about guys who throw 380 vs 400 on a 480 foot hole. How is that 20 feet worth the risk? And there is risk.

But if you throw 2 discs exactly the same way, say a PD and a Destroyer and the Destroyer goes 20 feet further on the same line, was it really riskier to throw the Destroyer? It is riskier for you if YOU are more likely to mis-throw the Destroyer than you are the PD, but I don't think it is inherently riskier. If you are more used to throwing the Destroyer on that line than the PD, then I'd even say it's LESS risky to throw the disc you know well.

I would agree with you that reaching for 20 feet of extra distance on a hole where it doesn't really matter is not a good idea, but that's as much about how you are throwing as it is the disc speed. I can throw a PD on a riskier line to try and get more distance with it just like I can with a Destroyer or Scorpius. In that case it's the throw that's risky, not the disc selection.

When it comes to magnifying mistakes with more distance, there's always a risk-reward proposition. It's definitely riskier to throw farther but in some cases the risk may be worth it. I could just always throw mids on safe lines and never throw more than about 320 feet, but there are plenty of holes where it's worth the extra risk of throwing a driver to get to 380 or 400. If it gives you a putt or gets you around a dogleg and in view of the basket for example, it may be worth the risk. I mean, look at Blue Lake holes 3 and 18 for example. If you don't throw a big enough hyzer to make the corner on those holes, you have zero chance of getting a birdie and much lower chances of even a par. In that case, the risk of going OB into the bushes may be worth it if you can make the corner consistently.

I'm loving the Escape but with wind it's troubling.

Then you my OP friend want the felon. I go through phases. I'll throw a myriad of PDs as a staple and only have 1 or 2 (maybe) utility discs. Or, I'll throw patriot/rivals. Or, for the most part I throw escapes too. I used to pair escape with saint pro but I've moved away from the st.p. to a felon/escape combo.

So don't listen to me. I'm a confused chucker...

But, get a felon! (Or a sexton glow FB) and keep throwing those escapes.

But if you throw 2 discs exactly the same way, say a PD and a Destroyer and the Destroyer goes 20 feet further on the same line, was it really riskier to throw the Destroyer? It is riskier for you if YOU are more likely to mis-throw the Destroyer than you are the PD, but I don't think it is inherently riskier. If you are more used to throwing the Destroyer on that line than the PD, then I'd even say it's LESS risky to throw the disc you know well.

I would agree with you that reaching for 20 feet of extra distance on a hole where it doesn't really matter is not a good idea, but that's as much about how you are throwing as it is the disc speed. I can throw a PD on a riskier line to try and get more distance with it just like I can with a Destroyer or Scorpius. In that case it's the throw that's risky, not the disc selection.

When it comes to magnifying mistakes with more distance, there's always a risk-reward proposition. It's definitely riskier to throw farther but in some cases the risk may be worth it. I could just always throw mids on safe lines and never throw more than about 320 feet, but there are plenty of holes where it's worth the extra risk of throwing a driver to get to 380 or 400. If it gives you a putt or gets you around a dogleg and in view of the basket for example, it may be worth the risk. I mean, look at Blue Lake holes 3 and 18 for example. If you don't throw a big enough hyzer to make the corner on those holes, you have zero chance of getting a birdie and much lower chances of even a par. In that case, the risk of going OB into the bushes may be worth it if you can make the corner consistently.

But, wooded courses usually require more precision (slower) vs. all out D. I think it's agreeable that "you" will throw the slowest speed disc you possibly can IF you can accurately make the shot.

Big difference in disc selection between Blue Lake and Pier! :) :thmbup:

With the exception of a DX Firebird I carry, I've been skipping over the 9-10 slot for straight with fade discs and go from fairway to max d. Sure, I miss the slot sometimes, but my player rating has gone up since dropping it.

Seven pages in one day, yowsers this site be gettin popular.
My go to speed ten is my old 2 left arm Northman.

But, wooded courses usually require more precision (slower) vs. all out D. I think it's agreeable that "you" will throw the slowest speed disc you possibly can IF you can accurately make the shot.

Precision does not always = slower discs. I play primarily in the woods, and one of my favorite woods shots is a slightly broken in Pro Destroyer thrown LOW at about 80% to get me to 350-380. That disc can easily go 420+ for me, but that's not the only way I throw it. In the woods the higher in the air you put the disc the bigger risk your taking if you miss your line. A 5 foot high line drive that misses the line and hits a tree rarely lands more then 20ft away from the tree it hit. a high throw, like you would have to take if were throwing something slower, that hits the same tree can go MUCH farther off the fairway, hit even MORE stuff, and there is no telling where its coming down. Also, to me its easier to hit my line throwing with 80% power then with 100% power, which I would need to do to make a speed 9 go the same distance.

In the same vein as above (precision does not always = slower) faster doesn't always equal farther either. One of my favorite discs right now is an UBER poptop beefcake destroyer. I can throw a thunderbird marginally farther (maybe 15 feet) but I can land that DS on a dinner plate because its so consistent. I think we all know that OS hyzers are the most consistent shot in disc golf. So, assuming both shots are available, why should I throw a "control driver" on a full flight line to get to 350+ when I can just throw a big dumb hyzer to the same spot, only more accurately?

I'm not saying control drivers are dumb or useless. Do whatever works for you. But the two shots I describe above cover the same lines with more control, for me anyway.

Haha, yes indeed. And Stub Stewart would require an even more precise (and thus slower) disc selection than Pier. At least I DO throw distance drivers on a number of holes at Pier. At Stub, almost never. ;)

I agree with what you say, but I'm in a typing mood so I'll clarify it further. I think you should throw, not the slowest disc for the shot, but the disc that is most comfortable for executing the shot you want to execute. What I mean is, I could throw with 100% power and maybe get a TeeBird out to 375 feet or I could throw with 80% power and get a Scorpius there. I'm going to be more accurate getting the Scorpius there because I'm not trying to make the disc do more than it normally does for me. I'm throwing a disc that is pretty comfortable for me at that range (obviously it would depend on the shape of the hole too).

Maybe if I bagged something in the 9/10 speed I could comfortably throw that disc on a 375 foot hole. However, I find I am more accurate if I carry less molds, which is why I eliminated the speed 9/10 category from my bag. I don't throw far enough to have a big enough gap between those and the speed 12's and the speed 12's are just as comfortable for my hands and give me a bit more distance. Once again, it's definitely personal preference and what those discs are doing for you.

For me it's been the Thunderbird. I really throw it as much as possible. It's my most thrown driver and my most controllable driver. I prefer Gstar because of the line shaping and glide. I like 9 speed discs and besides putters it's the only speed in my bag with multiple molds. I mainly throw Thunderbird and Starfire (PD is equally as good in this slot) with a Firebird and Sidewinder as utility. Lots of great options in speed 9.

Another Orion/OLF recommendation. It's my primary driver and could fit the need for you, too. I throw both Q and S plastic.

GStar Thunderbird. Disc is amazingly straight with a nice forward fade. Goes about 30 feet by my Teebirds.

I do not throw anything higher than a speed 10 due to my noodlish arm (about 325'), but I normally throw an Escape for shots to finish slightly left. I recently started throwing a Prodigy H4 and I'm really liking it so far. A slight hyzer angle flips to flat then a consistent fade.

I cycle through Tee Birds like crazy. I've always got 3 in my bag for flippy, dead nut straight and then pure hyzer line. My Escape is still dead nut straight with decent fade. My flat top Firebird is just too damn beefy unless I'm in a monster headwind. Looks like I'll be trying out some Orcs, PD's, Saints and possibly a Viking.