• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your Max Distance Driver

What disc would that be? My friend would like to know.
I haven't thrown every disc in that stability range, but I will say I've thrown my inertia against a champ tern and they were right beside each other almost every time. A mid to high 160 gram beast crushes, a buddy of mine had a star beast that just wouldn't stop flying. A big thing about that general idea is that people who want more distance often times (not saying this is anyone on here, in fact usually everyone on here doesn't do this) wants a higher speed driver... companies don't make a lot of lower speed discs that crush because they wouldn't sell as well as a high speed disc that's marketed towards being the longest disc in any given bag, I.e. Tern. Also, ever thrown a Hatchet? :D

RHBH: beat-in gold line bolt ~300'
RHFH: new(ish) lucid renegade ~280'

Longest drive of my career: ~600' downhill on the top of the world hole at Whistlers Bend DGC with a beat-in nuke.

What weight did you throw for Freedoms? I got, I think, a 168 lucid and a 159 air. The air is useless for me. The lucid im not sold on yet. I think in the heavy weights, 173+, these might fly more true, but Im not bothering with getting one. Not until I figure out of the 168 lucid has any worth for me.

I think the one I have is 168. It's fast and has decent glide, but it doesn't like to hold a line. It either flips over or hyzers out early. It won't stay flat and cruise for big distance. It isn't a useless driver, but it's definitely not anything I'd take to a distance competition.

I think the one I have is 168. It's fast and has decent glide, but it doesn't like to hold a line. It either flips over or hyzers out early. It won't stay flat and cruise for big distance. It isn't a useless driver, but it's definitely not anything I'd take to a distance competition.

What use do you find in this?
IMO any driver that hyzers out early AND turns over AND flies an S line, inconsistently, has no use I can think of. Why would you step up to the teepad holding a disc that you dont know what it'll do that time as opposed to last?

I think a Beast CAN be thrown as far as a Tern, but the Tern will take less effort to reach the same distance. It's faster and glides better. I've actually had some very long tosses with Beasts through the years. It's the longest 10 speed driver out there.

The Tern is unique in that it has the flight characteristics of a slower disc even though its a 12 speed.

I won't call it an idiotproof driver, but its pretty close. The Tern can add noticeable distance to most peoples' drives.

What use do you find in this?
IMO any driver that hyzers out early AND turns over AND flies an S line, inconsistently, has no use I can think of. Why would you step up to the teepad holding a disc that you dont know what it'll do that time as opposed to last?

None at all. Haven't thrown the disc in years for this reason. I threw the Freedom some about 3 years ago. It was an alluring disc, and looked like it could be the next best thing. I simply wasn't impressed. All the other drivers I was comparing it to were going as far or further.

A beaten 5X CH Valkyrie on a hyzer-flip 310 - 320. After reading some of these responses it's very embarrassing.

I'm throwing about 300-325 on a good day with my Valkyrie, same range as you. That means our internet distance is in the 420-445 range - we're crushing it! :clap:

I used to throw Beasts. Yes, they are long, and you can find variable stabilities in the different plastics. Still, I could never throw them as far as Terns or as far as I am now throwing Shrykes and my Sheriff. Speaking of, the Sheriff is the longest disc I've ever thrown into a wind.

I used to throw Beasts. Yes, they are long, and you can find variable stabilities in the different plastics. Still, I could never throw them as far as Terns or as far as I am now throwing Shrykes and my Sheriff. Speaking of, the Sheriff is the longest disc I've ever thrown into a wind.

what are you getting the Terns and Sheriffs out to? I've been interested in sampling a Sheriff ever since the Freedom disappointed me. I want something that feels like a Freedom, has some turn to it but is reliable and consistent. The Freedom was the first DD disc I've ever been let down by.

what are you getting the Terns and Sheriffs out to? I've been interested in sampling a Sheriff ever since the Freedom disappointed me. I want something that feels like a Freedom, has some turn to it but is reliable and consistent. The Freedom was the first DD disc I've ever been let down by.

I only throw the Sheriff into a breeze-350ish.
Terns, I can get to 380 in still or slight down wind. I cannot throw far in a heavy downwind to save my life.

I only throw the Sheriff into a breeze-350ish.
Terns, I can get to 380 in still or slight down wind. I cannot throw far in a heavy downwind to save my life.

Thanks. I probably wont bother with a Sheriff then. You've got about 30 feet on me with the Terns and I've got other discs that I've toying with to fill the roll that it seems the Sheriffs do for you.

Thanks. I probably wont bother with a Sheriff then. You've got about 30 feet on me with the Terns and I've got other discs that I've toying with to fill the roll that it seems the Sheriffs do for you.

That's max though. Don't discount the Sheriff because of that.

What are you toying with for into the wind?

At the moment, in the bag I have a newer DX Thunderbird for mild breeze as well as a seasoned one for straighter shots, and a champ Thunderbird. Lucid Felon for full on head wind, although it really only gets used for FH stuff.

I've been playing around with an Orc, Wraith, Northman and a Convict. Although my Star Tern is still stable enough to hand some degree wind. Also just got a CD in a trade that Id like to see how it does.

At the moment, in the bag I have a newer DX Thunderbird for mild breeze as well as a seasoned one for straighter shots, and a champ Thunderbird. Lucid Felon for full on head wind, although it really only gets used for FH stuff.

I've been playing around with an Orc, Wraith, Northman and a Convict. Although my Star Tern is still stable enough to hand some degree wind. Also just got a CD in a trade that Id like to see how it does.

The beast gets a lot of love in the speed 10 slot, but I've found that beat-in Orcs and Northmen are every bit as long. My first measured, over 400' throw was with a beat-in, pfn Champion Orc. It was just a little too flippy for me to trust and so the Tern took over my distance duties.

171g Star Shryke

450' consistently ... optimal conditions on a distance line 500'+

The beast gets a lot of love in the speed 10 slot, but I've found that beat-in Orcs and Northmen are every bit as long. My first measured, over 400' throw was with a beat-in, pfn Champion Orc. It was just a little too flippy for me to trust and so the Tern took over my distance duties.

Yeah, the Northman is dang long for a speed 10. My longest drivers though are Kings and Terns. I have a little more control with Terns but if it's a wide open field I get just a little more out of my Kings.

The Shryke really, really bombs. I'm surprised more people aren't coming on here saying its their longest disc.

That's what I like to hear. I have a champ shryke on the way and will probably pick another in star soon. Give it time and I'm sure more people will be posting it. Not too surprised to see the amount of people saying the tern is their longest, it's a great disc.

Latest posts