• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your Max Distance Driver

No reason for embarrassment. At 320' you probably throw farther than 90% of everyone who plays disc golf. You're on a forum for the obsessed, with folks who may or may not embellish their distances.

I would echo this, mostly. Based on the first hole on my home course that is listed as 315'... not exactly level but more of a canyon type downhill-uphill hole most people I see are going to max out around 260 to 280'. It also may not be internet distance and embellishment as much as just not knowing. How many people actually go out and throw with a 300' tape or on a football field, or both to get an accurate measurement? on this board quite a few but not everyone. I think about it but never have, so how do I get my max distance? That 390' hole I threw past by 10 feet? its pretty flat, not that down hill, and I"m going to conveniently ignore that the pin was moved in 40' and the signs and maps not updated because the random guy I was playing with made such a big deal about what an absolute bomb that was so therefore I can hyzerflip a beat star eagle 400' right? Well 360' is probably reality which was still a pretty good rip I think.
Its not just internet distance. I played the back 18 at La Mirada last week on spring break and hooked up with a local that was telling me how he throws 450' out in the field work. I didn't call BS out loud other than that he was cool to play with but he was also pretty impressed with a couple drives of mine where I went past the hole on 12, an uphill 320' according to the new map and parked 18 a 350' low sweeping hyzer line... that I swear the tee sign said 380' (so sometimes maybe the info is right our memory is wrong). The dudes 450' was probably closer to 320'. He could throw pretty well compared to most I bump into.

So like many I can really only guess based on holes I hope have the correct distance listed and maybe adjust based on holes on different courses that seem accurate and flat.
So... Lucid Trespass over 360' consistently. Maybe as far as 380' RHBH.

Tough to say which one disc I throw furthest. One day it could be a Bolt, the next day a Shryke or even a Destiny. Generally for sheer distance capability I like discs that are slightly understable with good domes that glide well. Something you can toss hard flat and get some high speed turn out of without flipping over completely.

I'll give the nod to light discs for this too, stuff like blizzard or air plastic. The discs aren't overly useful on a course, but for open field bombing they work great. One of the longest discs I've ever seen was a 159 Air Bolt. The thing was flippy almost to the point of being useless, but on some rare throws it would go further than any disc I'd ever thrown.

For routine reliable course distance I usually use stuff like Bosses, Nukes, a Torrent and sometimes the Tern. On good rips I can get all of those to 425'. Add 40ish feet if I'm throwing the really understable light stuff.

I'm throwing a Z Nuke. My home course actually has a decent amount of these holes, and I play BRP quite often. There I am hoping to clear the creek (which is around 450 I believe) on the driving range hole.

pd2.

pd2 is like a better destroyer, because you can find pro pd2 that are beefy like star destroyers and ones that fly more like pro destroyers. then you endcap it with a star or champ that will be beeftastic for years. amazing.

distance depends. right now i'm maxing around 415'. when i'm in good form and crushing it, it's more like 450'.

Dx katana my brother found with no number, 230' but I throw both my TL3 and Polaris Ls 200' with more control... :)

Which DD would you recommend to replace my katana? Slower and almost as understable.

Dx katana my brother found with no number, 230' but I throw both my TL3 and Polaris Ls 200' with more control... :)

Which DD would you recommend to replace my katana? Slower and almost as understable.

Just throw putters and midranges for now. Perhaps get a DX Leopard. You don't need any drivers with that kind of arm speed

Just throw putters and midranges for now. Perhaps get a DX Leopard. You don't need any drivers with that kind of arm speed

The distances are slightly lower than reality (i throw in meters) but i think youre right. Staying with my two FD's another while. :)

LHFH: Beat in Star Boss, 340-360'
LHBH: Opto-line River, 320-340' (once, just started throwing backhand this year and that was the first disc that isn't a putter or middy I've tried off the tee).

Sure, I've thrown farther downhill or with wind-aided glide. I hit my max distance on golf lines, easily over 400' every damn throw, laying in bed at night in my mind...

As a side note, I don't get why people throwing under ~360 would throw anything faster than a speed 10/11... with my 400 feet of power I often times don't power up my high speed drivers, I don't get why you wouldn't throw a slower disc that may end up 10 feet shorter but goes that distance every time. That's why my inertia is my go-to distance driver, even though it's a speed 10

I'll agree with this for the most part. In ideal conditions and when I really get ahold of it, I'll get a Catalyst out over 400. I get much more consistent results out of my Inertia though both in terms of distance and control over the line it takes. That being said, when you come to that wide open hole it's very hard to resist the urge to try to just bomb the longest disc in your bag.

I started playing February of last year. My longest measured throws have been 310–320 range. I've done lots of measuring on football fields and using UDisc accounting for wind and elevation, so I think those numbers are pretty real.

Last summer, I was only hitting those distances with a DX Beast around 170g. Lately, I'm hitting them in the winter with a 170g Pro Valkyrie, a disc I couldn't get out that far until recently. I'm hoping to find out that I've added distance and that in warmer weather, I'll be throwing the Beast farther this year. We'll see.

I usually max out about 400, depending on day and wind. If I'm throwing well I'll reach for my 167g Proton Octane, which on a shallow hyzer flip I can put out to 425. If I'm not throwing my faster drivers up to speed (which is more often than I would like) then I can hit 400 with my Inertia pretty consistently. If I have a wide open 420 foot hole I'm throwing the inertia... if it's longer I'll grab an Octane. Catalyst is showing some signs of being longer than anything else in my bag but it is still new and I haven't had any field testing with it to dial it in.
As a side note, I don't get why people throwing under ~360 would throw anything faster than a speed 10/11... with my 400 feet of power I often times don't power up my high speed drivers, I don't get why you wouldn't throw a slower disc that may end up 10 feet shorter but goes that distance every time. That's why my inertia is my go-to distance driver, even though it's a speed 10

For the most part I agree with this. Sometimes though you find that one driver that can instantly give you 30'. As an example, take someone who throws 360' routinely with a Surge or Star Wraith. Give that person an Opto Bolt and they'll start getting it to 390'.

However, I do agree that most wide rimmed drivers are hard to control at times and generally meant for guys who already have quite a bit of distance. Good luck telling a casual DG'er that though. I see guys throw Bosses and Nukes on 250' holes all the time.

I've had a few good throws over 300', level. Almost all with a Starlite Sidewinder, 159g backhand.

I've had a few shots NEAR that forehand with a Star Teebird 175g.

But most of my drives are more in the range just over 250'.

I'm pretty happy with this, considering I've only been throwing for a tad under a year, and I'm 46.

We don't have open holes around here, but when I find one with a little bit of room, I reach for my Westside Northman. Probably max that one out at like 330' if I'm lucky. Can't really control it enough to try it in the woods.

As a side note, I don't get why people throwing under ~360 would throw anything faster than a speed 10/11...

I can answer than with one word: Tern.

For anyone say 320 to 360, it's going to be their longest disc. I see no reason to throw a 10 or 11 when that 12 is sitting there, and it's my longest disc.

I can answer than with one word: Tern.

For anyone say 320 to 360, it's going to be their longest disc. I see no reason to throw a 10 or 11 when that 12 is sitting there, and it's my longest disc.

Agreed. Was going to say basically the same. I max at about 320 with my Valkyries, Saints, CD, etc. Picked up a Star and G* Tern and average 340 max and have hit 350. Granted I did work on form, but I still haven't hit 350 with the slower discs. I think people often assume that people who grab a faster disc and maybe get more distance, arent working on their form or trying to improve so they can throw their other discs farther. I get a better grip on a slightly larger rim so I throw 10-12 speed drivers better than 9 speed drivers. Im still practicing my form and working to improve my game, but a longer through is a longer through. I dont care that I only throw 340 with a 12 speed disc. Its still farther. Will I keep at it and try to push the Tern further? Yes. Will I try to push my fairways closer to my current Tern distance? You bechya