• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] z Buzzz SS

attik34

Birdie Member
So, I've been throwing my Z Buzzz SS ALOT now and like it a ton. I purchased it to be an understable compliment to my TI Buzzz. That said, I don't like my ti buzzz much so I'll be moving to a Z Buzzz soon. The question I have is reguarding the Buzzz SS. I throw it 300 on a rope, no turn no fade. Should it be like that or do I have an exception? I'm looking into a much more understable mid but dont know how far on that scale I need to go since i was intending the BSS to be my understable mid, but its turned into my super straight flyer. Comments? :)

Buzz SS is a more understable version of the buzz, which on its own is quite a straight flier so the SS flying on a rope is nothing out of the norm, i mean SS DOES stand for "Super Straight". If you are looking for a truly under stable mid then you need to go further down the spectrum. A fuse of a comet would fit your bill well.

comet is not understable unless you have bad form or force it to turn.

fuse or meteor are better options.

of the three suggested meteor is the "understable" one of the bunch.

comet is not understable unless you have bad form or force it to turn.

fuse or meteor are better options.

of the three suggested meteor is the "understable" one of the bunch.

Comets flight ratings on Joes Flight Chart have the comet with a -1.5 HSS rating. that sir IS understable.

There are different degrees of understability. The comet is most def more understable then his buzz SS. if only slightly.

Don't forget about the Glide. A meteor or a glide will be perfect for what you are looking for, I personally prefer a glide, they fly just a little bit further than a meteor

My z comets do not fly understable, my meteors are far more less stable than the comet. My comets are stable. They hold a straight line with a little fall of right (LHBH) when they lose speed, but maybe 5' off target line. The meteor is the best understable mid on the market.

my z buzzz ss does the same thing. Mine is super flat though. My buddy has one with some dome and it is definitely more understable. Love my superflat z buzzz ss. it flies almost exactly like my barstamp

Get yourself a Meteor and you'll be covered.

This is the answer. Meteor is a great understable compliment to the Buzzz whereas the Buzzz SS is more of a slightly broken in Buzzz. That said, my X Buzzz just recently became beat in enough to kick my meteor out of the bag.

Comets flight ratings on Joes Flight Chart have the comet with a -1.5 HSS rating. that sir IS understable.

There are different degrees of understability. The comet is most def more understable then his buzz SS. if only slightly.

No flight chart should be quoted as gospel.

As someone who actually used to throw Comets for almost two years (all plastics and weights, domey to flat), they are anything but understable, especially when compared to a Meteor. They are (in new-ish condition) usually straight with varying degrees of slight fade (as was stated earlier).

I think that the Flying Squirrel should also be added to the list of options. It's similar to the Meteor with none of the low power overstability problems. I've heard of people having trouble with the rim, but I haven't.

No flight chart should be quoted as gospel.

As someone who actually used to throw Comets for almost two years (all plastics and weights, domey to flat), they are anything but understable, especially when compared to a Meteor. They are (in new-ish condition) usually straight with varying degrees of slight fade (as was stated earlier).

I think that the Flying Squirrel should also be added to the list of options. It's similar to the Meteor with none of the low power overstability problems. I've heard of people having trouble with the rim, but I haven't.

Just because something isnt as understable as something else doesnt make it stable.

So, I've been throwing my Z Buzzz SS ALOT now and like it a ton. I purchased it to be an understable compliment to my TI Buzzz. That said, I don't like my ti buzzz much so I'll be moving to a Z Buzzz soon. The question I have is reguarding the Buzzz SS. I throw it 300 on a rope, no turn no fade. Should it be like that or do I have an exception? I'm looking into a much more understable mid but dont know how far on that scale I need to go since i was intending the BSS to be my understable mid, but its turned into my super straight flyer. Comments? :)

I throw my SS 250-300 all day long and it flies perfectly straight and it holds any line I put on it.

I recently lost it and replaced it with a normal Z Plastic Buzzz and the only difference is this one has just a little bit of fade and I have to put a little more into my throw for it to hold the line I want. But it is still a laser.

So yeah I would recommend a comet.

Last edited:
If you're liking the SS you could always try to get a used one in trade that is beat up more than yours. Also, I like the Meteor and Glide. Meteor brand new seems to turn easily but has more fade to me than a Buzzz SS. Takes some time and wooded play to beat that out of it.

OP, you either have some pretty clean form or a slightly more stable SS...either way that's going to be a money mid for you! For something more understable, I'd recommend a Fuse...read up on those before choosing one. Next would be a dx Stingray. From Discraft, I like the x-Stratus more than the Meteor but they're both great...Glide might go farther than you want. Depends a little on what sort of things you want your understable disc to do exactly. Another no vote on the Comet for this role. That made me chuckle...

i guess what i'd be looking for mostly is something that feels like z/champ plastic....when thrown flat has definite turn and little to no fade....and when thrown anny doesnt come back just anny's fairly hard i guess....usually the buzz does the anny part ok, but as soon as i start powering down on it it wants to fade back and thats not what im looking for....

Of the ones I mentioned, the Meteor is most likely to pull out, but it all depends on what you give it. Some of the more stable opto Fuses can do that, too, but pretty much all of those discs will ride the anny all the way. Flat throws with really understable discs are tricky sometimes if you want a turn but you don't want it to flip and burn...narrow window with some discs when it comes to the combo of power and spin. Stratus and Stingray are best for that in my experience...Stratus is better out of the box but Stingrays quickly beat in to awesome. For flat turns that don't come back, I find it a lot easier to power them up with a hyzer flip. As a lefty that doesn't forehand, I have to do that all the damn time and I've gotten good at it. lol. Fuse is my go-to now because I wanted the same thing you do, but you'll have to read up on them and pick one. They're great in either gl or opto but they do differ a bit. Another idea is a flippy Core...a light, flat gl can do flat turns nicely from a flat throw sometimes but they go farther than most mids. Stingray is seriously the most awesome disc for this but the Fuse is the best option in premium plastic, imho. x-Stratus isn't bad at all, either.