• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar3

I'd imagine it is not a star aviar p&a, not sure if I've ever seen one of those, I'd imagine it would be a big bead for the OS slot since he swapped the P2 for the aviar 3, then went for the star aviar likely also looking to replace the P2. All conjecture, though.

I have a couple of Star Aviar P&As from my early days in DG. Last October when I threw all pink discs for "Throw Pink" month, I used the pink Star Aviar P&A as a substitute for the P2 (I now have a pink Champ Glow P2). The Star Aviar P&A is less overstable than the P2, but performed pretty well for me during that month as an upshot disc.

I would be surprised if Paul McBeth would bag a Star Aviar P&A; I'd think he'd go back to the P2. He may also still have the Aviar3 in his bag, and all this speculation is just that...

Played a couple of rounds with an Aviar3 today. I don't think it will kick Zones or P-2s out of my bag. Stability seems right between them and the DX that I have had decent glide. I might like one in pro plastic for a driving putter.

How is the Aviar3 for sidearm throws? My current driving putters are an S-P2 & a XT Nova. I can't really flick them besides for short get out of trouble shots. I'd like a beadless putter I can flick for approach shots & short drives off the tee. I'm going to pick up a Star Aviar3 this weekend. I threw my friends Star Aviar3 a few times. I didn't really get in enough throws with it to see if I'd like it for flicks.

When I first picked up a Star Aviar3, one of the first things I tried was throwing it FH. It worked so well for me that I played FH-only rounds for about a month, throwing the Aviar3 on short drives (up to 250-260 feet) and approaches. Even when I didn't throw it cleanly FH, it stabilized and held the line I wanted.

I would be surprised if Paul McBeth would bag a Star Aviar P&A; I'd think he'd go back to the P2. He may also still have the Aviar3 in his bag, and all this speculation is just that...

yIeYjMU.jpg

Looks like a regular Star Aviar (P&A)

Update: in commentary of the Worlds, (first round, I think, and don't remember who), they said that Paul McBeth had taken the Aviar3 out of his bag because "it was not stable enough". They also said he might've put it back in, but weren't sure.

I can understand that, though. The Av3 is not going to be mistaken for a Gator any time soon. With McBeth bagging the super-straight Nova, it would make sense if he was looking for a more OS (more Harp-like?) approach disc... but I don't think the Star Aviar P&A would be that disc... oh well, we'll see over time...

I really liked the Aviar3 at first, but found it didn't hold up into the wind as well as I'd like. My Envy's hold up WAY better into the wind, so they went back into the bag. Was a bummer as I really wanted to like the Aviar3.

I really liked the Aviar3 at first, but found it didn't hold up into the wind as well as I'd like. My Envy's hold up WAY better into the wind, so they went back into the bag. Was a bummer as I really wanted to like the Aviar3.

I like the Av3 and will throw it into a mild headwind. But when the wind is more noticeably beating my face, I reach for the Harp. I bag both, as I throw the Av3 for more distance than I do the Harp. The Av3 kicked both the P2 and Hornet out of my bag...

This is exactly how I felt about the Aviar3. It got where I threw it in a hurry and then would settle nicely, but now I cannot trust it and it is very common for us to get winds from 5-30mph winds. Obviously this thing is not meant to hold up in 20+ mph winds but even at 5-10 it started drifting right on me.

I like the Av3 and will throw it into a mild headwind. But when the wind is more noticeably beating my face, I reach for the Harp. I bag both, as I throw the Av3 for more distance than I do the Harp. The Av3 kicked both the P2 and Hornet out of my bag...

It does hold up in a mild headwind, but it just never seems to want to fade. I threw it in the bag today for a more wooded course and ended up going to a more wide open course after. I needed to throw a very straight shot into the wind and have it fade left. I hit the line perfectly but the Aviar3 never wanted to fade out of the shot and I was left with a 20+ footer.

It does hold up in a mild headwind, but it just never seems to want to fade. I threw it in the bag today for a more wooded course and ended up going to a more wide open course after. I needed to throw a very straight shot into the wind and have it fade left. I hit the line perfectly but the Aviar3 never wanted to fade out of the shot and I was left with a 20+ footer.

I do get a little bit of that (no fade) from time to time, but I'm not getting turnover, which is the better thing to me. And again, I throw the Av3 for relatively longer shots, and Harps for shorter upshots. The Av3 has become almost a short mid for me.

Not to get off topic again but...
A local 980 rated guy in my area (Milwaukee) is sponsored by DD. I've played a few rounds with him recently. Plus I see him at tourneys. He is really good, he actually cashed at the GBO. DD told him it was preferred if he didn't wear any Lat or Westside clothing at tourneys. It's not in his contract, he said it was more of them asking nicely. He said he can throw any trilogy discs he wants. He just chooses to throw all DD, besides his putting putters. He's trying to find a DD putter he likes. He said he thinks a few years down the road they might try to make everyone only throw the main brand they're sponsored by. So he doesn't want to have to change his bag up if/when that happens. DD seems to be hinting at going that route.

Yea Robbie does it because he can see where the future is going and he is getting himself ready, but all 3 companies now can pretty much fill every hole in a lineup so its not really hurting him too much besides a putter. He loves the Mercy but DD doesnt have that slot filled so I think hes using Judges right now

I have officially pulled the aviar3 from both practice and the bag. The DX are fun but nothing special for me. I really love the star for long backhand approaches, but they aren't enough different than a swirly s p2 once they beat in. And on flicks, they feel so much better in my hand, but I can still shape a rhyno better on hyzer, and a p2 or pna for a turnover. I played the same course tuesday and thursday for league this week. Tuesday, had the av3 in the bag with no p2 and one beat rhyno. Every time I needed to not hit something going wide on a hyzer I hit it, and every high flick faded back too early; the turn is too touchy on the beat one. At the angle I feel is correct, too much turn early on, and any wind keeps it turning. And angle that feels too hyzer stays too hyzer. Thursday, had a new rhyno, beat rhyno, and p2. Had people swooning over the lines I hit with the p2 on straight shots and hit all my hyzer lines with my rhynos. Just not enough chains on my long approaches, but I think I can improve that if I really stick to my guns. Classic PnA/mcpro aviar for close putts and turnovers, p2 for straight control, and two rhynos. One is a beat XG that stops where it lands, other is a new airforce gummy that holds a hyzer. No need for aviar3...

Probably in due time. There are a limited run of luster champs they did for CFR. Seems most putters usually end up in most plastics.

Anybody know if they plan on releasing the aviar3 in any other plastics, and when? I would love one in gstar.

I'm interested in a Champion Aviar3, that will not season in very quickly (if ever), with the hope it holds its (over)stability.

I do understand why others are giving up the Av3 for the Rhyno/P2, which I've considered returning to. But I'm going to hold out with the Av3 for a while longer.

If anyone needs a matching pair of new DX 172g for $18 shipped pm me.

Great disc, just been throwing rhynos too long, think these are longer tho.

I'm interested in a Champion Aviar3, that will not season in very quickly (if ever), with the hope it holds its (over)stability.

I do understand why others are giving up the Av3 for the Rhyno/P2, which I've considered returning to. But I'm going to hold out with the Av3 for a while longer.

Agreed. Champ would be my next choice.

I can also see why people would revert to the Rhyno. I just replaced my beat up dx av3 with a fresh pro rhyno for now, but I still prefer the av3 for throwing.

Latest posts