• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

After spending much of yesterday comparing a new 161 Z Glow Comet to a well seasoned 156 Lucid Air Truth I've concluded that they fly very similar. I think I'll revisit the course to compare the two after a few urban rounds to knock that factory finish off the Comet, then see how they compare.

Comets were my understable mid for a couple years before I switched to Meteors because I liked their faster speed and wider rim better in my grip at the time. I thought the Meteor complimented my Buzzzes better, but now I realize that's not true lol. A month ago I switched back to Comets and they fit my grip just like an old familiar glove! They give me ultimate confidence in their glide, line holding and/or turn depending on their wear and I love their dome. I used to only use a couple of lightweight beat up used Z Comets for turnover shots only but now I prefer ESP Comets and can use them for straight shots or hyzers just between my Challengers and Buzzzes if I like, so they compliment my old favorites even better than I remember! I can range them so well.

How does the Ledgerstone Ti Comet fly compared to an ESP? Glide and stability please.
My ESP is beating in nice and it is about time for a fresh partner.

I got a big z Comet for Christmas that I'm excited about. I have no experience with Discraft other than their Ultimate and Freestyle discs. What can I expect from the Comet? I hear that it's a very touch sensitive disc that will tell you if you're form is off. Looking at inbounds it appears that the Comet and the Fuse overlaps quite a bit. Can somebody comment on how the Comet flies in comparison to the Fuse?

I got a big z Comet for Christmas that I'm excited about. I have no experience with Discraft other than their Ultimate and Freestyle discs. What can I expect from the Comet? I hear that it's a very touch sensitive disc that will tell you if you're form is off. Looking at inbounds it appears that the Comet and the Fuse overlaps quite a bit. Can somebody comment on how the Comet flies in comparison to the Fuse?

I have limited experience with the Fuse, but what I have thrown is more understable than the Comet. It turns whereas a good Comet is truly neutral. Both have a ton of glide.
There is a pretty good consensus that a lot of the Big Z Comets are flatter, and thus more understable than a good Comet with some dome on it. I like some dome on my Comets and didn't care for the flatter Big Z ones that I did try. Regardless, it's a sensitive disc that will show you where your form has problems, but will ultimately reward you when you dial it in. Great disc.

I finally got time to throw my new Comet today and it was definitely more stable than the Fuse. It held the line very well when I threw it smoothly, and it turned wildly when I torqued it. I can see this disc replacing the Fuse. We'll see once I've had a few more throws with it, but so far I like it a lot

After spending much of yesterday comparing a new 161 Z Glow Comet to a well seasoned 156 Lucid Air Truth I've concluded that they fly very similar. I think I'll revisit the course to compare the two after a few urban rounds to knock that factory finish off the Comet, then see how they compare.

Really? The truth should be quite a bit faster than the comet. Much more like a buzzz.

Yes, you are correct about the speed difference. Truths are defiantly faster. I was comparing their respective high speed stabilities at the time, which has wildly changed since then. Over the last 2 months my Comet has become every bit the hyzer flip turnover machine that I was hoping for. It was worth the weight.

^^^^^^^^^
I have 2 comets in the bag. Both are seasoned one is ESP and the other is X. The ESP comet is used for straight to slight turn over shots and the X for more turn over shots.
The comet can be very touchy sometimes. But you should be able to point and shot with this disc. The Z and Glo comets are going to be the most stable.
I don't throw a fuse but my buddy does and he also have a comet. There is some overlap but I think he uses to fuse when he really needs the disc to finish left and comet for more straighter shots.
The comet will fix your form or OAT issues. If you can throw it on a dead Hyzler line your in good shape.

Just discovered the comet and love it. Have an elite x one. Was wondering if anyone had suggestions for weights to throw.

Have heard they are incredibly good for form diagnostic and was going to pick up a few X ones to throw strictly in the field for that. Is there a particular weight range that's better for that?

Also for on course was thinking of a Z and ESP to start. What kinda weights are recommended? I am used to throwing dx rocs from 170-172 range.

Thank you.

X will be fine on the course too. Don't rule it out just because it isn't premium.
If you're comfortable in the low 170s then go with that. They'll be fine.
Just make sure they have a nice dome on them. Nothing outrageous, but flatties are bad.
No flatties.
#No

X will be fine on the course too. Don't rule it out just because it isn't premium.
Just make sure they have a nice dome on them. Nothing outrageous, but flatties are bad.
No flatties.
#No

My flat ESP (177g) Comet is an incredible disc. :confused:

No flatties.
#No

Haven't really ruled it out, was just curious how to plan. Should I just get a stock Z one and throw the 1 X and 1 Z for now?

Also recommendations on weights for field work in X's or does that not really matter much either as long as it's 170 ish X?

Thanks.

An X and a Z would be fine, but really any combo would be. Grab what feels most comfortable to start with. No right or wrong.
Same for weight in my book. I do field work with backups, at weights that I like on the course. I don't see any need to change any of that for field work.

Could try one of each, all the same weight. As far as weight, I like them 175+ but that's just my preference. My favorite is the ESP though and when the weathers warm I like the big-Z. If you try a big-z watch out because a lot of them are flat.

Haven't really ruled it out, was just curious how to plan. Should I just get a stock Z one and throw the 1 X and 1 Z for now?

Also recommendations on weights for field work in X's or does that not really matter much either as long as it's 170 ish X?

Thanks.

Pretty much. If you want the X Comet for a form corrector, then I would stick to lower 170's. You will find the Z to be a little more OS than the X. For lower power players, it actually makes a great combo except in the wind.

Latest posts