• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Roc3's even in MF aren't super trustworthy so been just using fresh KC Rocs until they become too straight. Been thinking about trying a Wasp though.

This is exactly why RDG made the Gila. Gila, Iguana, Comet is such a good set with similar feel across the line. Gila, DX Roc, Comet or Gila, Beat Fossil Gila, Comet have also been acceptable combos.

Typically yes, but they still have more fade than a Comet and work great for high turning shots that stall and rollers too. I recently swapped it out for my last Champ Cobra I have, might as well throw the thing!

It sits between the Buzzz/Comet on paper but really I throw all three at different release angles depending on the shot...I don't recommend newer players emulate my current mid game lol

EDIT: I should have said on hyzers/certain straighter shots/turning shots. Release angles don't mean much without context a la hyzer release can still turn and burn.

I am fairly familiar with Cobras, I was more asking his specific setup, generally when I think cobra I think of ones much like that sweet candy one you shared and would make a great stable compliment to the comet.
While testing the Iguana the cobra actually came to mind some. It's a little deeper feeling but its similar in the has some turn but also fade but both are fairly minimal. That combo makes such an amazing shot shaping disc. Which also is a great compliment to a comet. Comet loves holding a line, Cobra/Iguana loves shaping a shot.

I am fairly familiar with Cobras, I was more asking his specific setup, generally when I think cobra I think of ones much like that sweet candy one you shared and would make a great stable compliment to the comet.
While testing the Iguana the cobra actually came to mind some. It's a little deeper feeling but its similar in the has some turn but also fade but both are fairly minimal. That combo makes such an amazing shot shaping disc. Which also is a great compliment to a comet. Comet loves holding a line, Cobra/Iguana loves shaping a shot.

Right on! Yeah the Iguana seems intriguing (most RDG) for sure. Buzzz is just ole' trusty and holds certain lines so well. I could get by with any one of them and play just fine.

Meaning the fade is gone when throwing them +300 ft? I want to be able to do a bit of an S flight or just straight to fade with my Rocs, if I wanted dead straight Id just use a buzzz. Don't see a point in carrying a straight Roc and a Comet in my bag.
A beat straight Roc will handle a headwind easier than most Comets. A beat straight Roc will ride a lower line than a Comet. Obviously you don't have to carry both (and I generally don't carry any Rocs when I throw Comets or any Comets when I throw Rocs due to the huge overlap), but there are some excuses you can use if you want to.

I found Gote to be touchier than a comet. It was harder to get clean releases on them. They wanted to be more HSS, but flipped easier if you didn't hit them just right.

In other comet related news I hit a narrow 215' quite uphill tunnel for ace yesterday. My 2018 Esp Glo MJ is the only comet in the bag these days, but it did get work at 8,000' and narrow fairways yesterday.

Looking back down the fairway to the tee, I swear it looks narrower from the tee:
52824864573_58633221fa.jpg

Apparently everyone thought the disc was too pretty to sign the front.
52824821450_11d4712c8a.jpg

Where is this? Love my comet in the mountains!

Grip covered it; it's more OS with less glide, so it has none of the Comet magic.

They are pretty, though.

I actually love my sparkle Comet! It's not a regular Comet. It is more overstable. However, it is great for the stand still power approach or no turn finesse shot. Most of Z's are little to flippy for me with power, so this bridges my space between comets and wasps.

I'm bummed out to hear there was only 350 made and I've been throwing mine since the jump.

I actually love my sparkle Comet! It's not a regular Comet. It is more overstable. However, it is great for the stand still power approach or no turn finesse shot. Most of Z's are little to flippy for me with power, so this bridges my space between comets and wasps.

I'm bummed out to hear there was only 350 made and I've been throwing mine since the jump.
A lot of the time you can do that.

When the www Q Sentinels came out, the focus of the feedback on them was about how they were not nearly as fast and overstable as the Sanny Sentinels, which was true. A www Q Sentinel makes for a really nice poor mans Ontario Roc, though. That just wasn't what people were expecting when they shelled out cash money for them, and it's hard to get over that initial disappointment over what it isn't so you can appreciate what it is.

There had to be more than 350 of them, though. Everybody I know that throws Comets has one that they hate.

A beat straight Roc will handle a headwind easier than most Comets. A beat straight Roc will ride a lower line than a Comet. Obviously you don't have to carry both (and I generally don't carry any Rocs when I throw Comets or any Comets when I throw Rocs due to the huge overlap), but there are some excuses you can use if you want to.

Yes, I agree with you.. And for that reason I do sometimes reach for my Rocs over Comets. However I find myself grabbing my Shift over my BX3 with me most of the time which is why Im leaning towards making a compromise and dropping either Comets or Rocs..For now Im thinking I'll keep the Comets and cover those headwind shots with fairways instead.

Yes, I agree with you.. And for that reason I do sometimes reach for my Rocs over Comets. However I find myself grabbing my Shift over my BX3 with me most of the time which is why Im leaning towards making a compromise and dropping either Comets or Rocs..For now Im thinking I'll keep the Comets and cover those headwind shots with fairways instead.

This is what I do. A Passion or Athena, depending on the line I need.

Where is this? Love my comet in the mountains!

Glen Isle Resort in Bailey. Hole 18 of 21. Its a great course fairly technical but a pretty good variety of shots. Takes the sting off losing bailey some. It doesn't quite have a big bomber hole like bailey 1, 4 or 5 but it has legs on a couple holes.

I agree with most of this, but I feel like I can push a Z/ESP comet further on a low line than I can a broken in roc. It's kinda splitting hairs but that comet glide just keeps it in the air, maybe my opinion would be different at sea level.

Can't find em in Europe. Would be nice to try one for sure.

Yeah, shipping to Europe can be tricky, I know they ship international from their store but I imagine the cost would be near double for a few discs. I have shipped gifts and collectables to Norway and Finland before, seems to be close to $30usd minimum. Last box (5 or 6 discs and some food/goodies) was $70...

I agree with most of this, but I feel like I can push a Z/ESP comet further on a low line than I can a broken in roc. It's kinda splitting hairs but that comet glide just keeps it in the air, maybe my opinion would be different at sea level.
I've seen some people have success throwing Comets lower than I do, but whatever they are doing I'm obviously not. I think I subconsciously overpower low line throws so I turn and burn Comets there, which is pretty easy to do. I don't really have overall Comet mastery. :\

I've seen some people have success throwing Comets lower than I do, but whatever they are doing I'm obviously not. I think I subconsciously overpower low line throws so I turn and burn Comets there, which is pretty easy to do. I don't really have overall Comet mastery. :\

Throwing a broken in roc straight means hyzerflip for me, and a comet is more a flat driven shot. I am guessing you are better at nose angle control hyzerflip, where I tend to need a higher ceiling on hyzerflips than I do flat

From my experience the best low line Comets are typically those that are the least Comety Comets, so the domey heavy Z or ESPs. You can throw the flat Comets low, but they need a clean deep hyzer release in my experience. The Icon MJs seem to be decent low line Comets.

From my experience the best low line Comets are typically those that are the least Comety Comets, so the domey heavy Z or ESPs. You can throw the flat Comets low, but they need a clean deep hyzer release in my experience. The Icon MJs seem to be decent low line Comets.

Showing my age in saying this I guess, but the domey ones are the most Comety Comets, to me. There weren't flat Comets, until the second LE run of ESP Comets, and even then they were an anomaly. These days, they're the rule, rather than the exception...

You're right, though. The extra HSS in the domey ones does tend to lend to better low-lines, because you don't need the added height to account for how much more flippy the flat ones are, as well as the decrease in glide compared to the domey ones.

I will say, the flat ones have gotten more stable over the years. My Icon MJ ESP one is a lot more stable than the max weight flat LE ESP ones back in the day, so is the Cryztal Sparkle one I've got.

What are Icon MJ's?

That's a term I've never heard, Icon is a Legacy plastic yet two people here used it.

Showing my age in saying this I guess, but the domey ones are the most Comety Comets, to me. There weren't flat Comets, until the second LE run of ESP Comets, and even then they were an anomaly. These days, they're the rule, rather than the exception...

I was thinking the same.

What are Icon MJ's?

That's a term I've never heard, Icon is a Legacy plastic yet two people here used it.

MJ is no longer on the tour team, he is on the Icon team. So instead of it being a 2023 tour series disc, its a 2023 Icon series disc.