[Discraft] Comet love?

Had a lot of fun playing a tournament at Rolling Hills on Saturday. Wooded golf means the Comets reign supreme!

Here's one of my more fun shots with it. The hole is about 75 feet flat, then up a big hill, then about 100 or so flat to the pin.

Had a lot of fun playing a tournament at Rolling Hills on Saturday. Wooded golf means the Comets reign supreme!

Here's one of my more fun shots with it. The hole is about 75 feet flat, then up a big hill, then about 100 or so flat to the pin.
I miss Rolling Hills, I moved from Michigan to Wisconsin a couple years ago and miss all the good golf. Still good golf here, but all of my aces are in Michigan haha

As a general comment, I'm learning lefty golf to let my right elbow rest and picked up a Comet a while back. It's a little stable since it's new, but I'm able to get it to flip up flat and ride for a bit. Definitely shows flaws which is good for learning a new throw. It'll come in a lot of handy when I get back to throwing RHBH and can't put as much power on the disc as I'm used to. I get why the rim could be a problem for people, but I hardly notice it. A Buzzz/Jay/Pathfinder type rim probably feels a little more comfortable, but not enough to be revolted by it like some are. Any thumbtrack top is much worse and more noticeable imo, but that's for a different thread

I miss Rolling Hills, I moved from Michigan to Wisconsin a couple years ago and miss all the good golf. Still good golf here, but all of my aces are in Michigan haha

As a general comment, I'm learning lefty golf to let my right elbow rest and picked up a Comet a while back. It's a little stable since it's new, but I'm able to get it to flip up flat and ride for a bit. Definitely shows flaws which is good for learning a new throw. It'll come in a lot of handy when I get back to throwing RHBH and can't put as much power on the disc as I'm used to. I get why the rim could be a problem for people, but I hardly notice it. A Buzzz/Jay/Pathfinder type rim probably feels a little more comfortable, but not enough to be revolted by it like some are. Any thumbtrack top is much worse and more noticeable imo, but that's for a different thread
RH has a couple stinker holes - this one used to be on my list of holes I didn't like, but....well...now it's a lot easier 😅 14 can go kick rocks, though... 🤬

My dad when he played disc golf had no problem using a Wasp or a Wizzard forehand with big bead but a big bead on such a rim shape for Comet was an issue, why my dad never used a ROC like most people in 2000's using Innova, again same rim issue of rim shape on forehand.

Last edited:
Yep, Mana is the disc. I could sell 20 comets and still have a lifetimes worth
I used to have that many. The friend who put my discs into "storage" while I was in California basically left them in open boxes under her deck for a year of Michigan weather. Most went missing (including all but the first run, glow, and tourney pro Comets), and the rest were ruined (there's one X stamp Z Comet that's just...tragic).

If you decide to part with some, you know I'd be happy to give them a good home 😁

I threw a bunch of Comets in a field today in reasonable weather for the first time in months and it felt f@#$ing great.

That is all.
I probably just need a couple days like that to bring a stack to the field and get to work.

I also have adhd when it comes to different discs, so there's that

I probably just need a couple days like that to bring a stack to the field and get to work.

I also have adhd when it comes to different discs, so there's that
There is still nothing like bringing a stack of max weight Comets and trying out every line I can imagine with them.

Power low line hyzer flip? Check.

Epic high linee hyzer flip? Check.

Wreckless epic turnover shot? Check.

Epic spike hyzers? Check.

Aggressive pure hyzer? Check.

Work on your form in a headwind? Check.

Why are comets so good?

What magic spell was cast upon them?

There is still nothing like bringing a stack of max weight Comets and trying out every line I can imagine with them.

Why are comets so good?

Once my elbow is better, this is the plan for me. This is one of the reasons I really enjoy DX Rocs; they're a bit more OS obviously, but the do hold lines really well being a 4 speed. I know the Roc/Comet combo is coveted. I've been really liking the Jay from Innova, might pair that with the Comet and see how it works.

I've been messing with a Mana and a Detour recently and I think I'm just gonna stick with a Comet for neutral/US mid stuff. I'm FH dominant so this is my least thrown slot. Not sure why I keep trying to kick the Comet out of my bag, it's probably ThrowaEnvy's fault. Has he changed his handle to ThrowaPixel or ThrowaWatt yet?

Mana and Detour are very similar in flight and feel for me. My BH form is marginal but Comets seem more forgiving, even the flippy ones. Probably because I've thrown and practiced with Comets for a long time I know what to expect.

Thanks Brych! You helped me make up my mind and saved me some cash on buying pricey MVP/TSA backups. Think I'm gonna go throw a stack of Comets tomorrow.

Why are comets so good?

Glad I'm not the only one that sees the joy of throwing a Comet on a spike hyzer! Got me a nice birdie last year at CCR doing that! 😁

I've been messing with a Mana and a Detour recently and I think I'm just gonna stick with a Comet for neutral/US mid stuff. I'm FH dominant so this is my least thrown slot. Not sure why I keep trying to kick the Comet out of my bag, it's probably ThrowaEnvy's fault. Has he changed his handle to ThrowaPixel or ThrowaWatt yet?

Mana and Detour are very similar in flight and feel for me. My BH form is marginal but Comets seem more forgiving, even the flippy ones. Probably because I've thrown and practiced with Comets for a long time I know what to expect.

Thanks Brych! You helped me make up my mind and saved me some cash on buying pricey MVP/TSA backups. Think I'm gonna go throw a stack of Comets tomorrow.
Having thrown both now, I'd say the Detour feels a LITTLE more Comet like than the Mana, or at least that the one I threw was glidier than the Mana I threw. Maybe a tick more turn resistant than a Comet. Still, neither is kicking the Comet out of my bag.

I see you haha. Weather's warming up, time to pull the Comets out of storage... well the good ones. I'm still working in a yellow esp from the run about 3 yrs ago and it's just not getting to "wear" I want it. 😄

Yeah no danger of becoming ThrowaWatt, watt a turd. I was grooving with my 165 before it broke in. The pixel is decent though haha, kinda like an Ohm in electron. (What do you think of that!) Biggest threat to my putters since the ohm but it's also breaking in so we will see where it goes before I invest in another.

And screw you on the detour, that's not comet enough for me, I can't get a handle on it, the uplink brings me much more joy I blame you for that purchase.

Still loving the uplinks though for my elite x comet slot through the winter and beyond.

Maybe Comets are just beefier than I remember or maybe the new runs are that much more stable, or maybe I'm getting worse with age... the comet still has a bag slot, maybe two, but not four no more.

My Lobsters- which I think is the same as the Mana- were flippier than I wanted when I was trying to be a no-Comet heathen. They do feel nice. Svea was the closest to the real deal but rather than chasing Swedish plastic I'm back with the Comets and never letting go. I also like to throw FH rather than midrange turnover but I've accepted that a Comet is the perfect go straight disc. I'm going to throw my modest stack in the field this week, too.

I see you haha. Weather's warming up, time to pull the Comets out of storage... well the good ones. I'm still working in a yellow esp from the run about 3 yrs ago and it's just not getting to "wear" I want it. 😄

Yeah no danger of becoming ThrowaWatt, watt a turd. I was grooving with my 165 before it broke in. The pixel is decent though haha, kinda like an Ohm in electron. (What do you think of that!) Biggest threat to my putters since the ohm but it's also breaking in so we will see where it goes before I invest in another.

And screw you on the detour, that's not comet enough for me, I can't get a handle on it, the uplink brings me much more joy I blame you for that purchase.

Still loving the uplinks though for my elite x comet slot through the winter and beyond.

Maybe Comets are just beefier than I remember or maybe the new runs are that much more stable, or maybe I'm getting worse with age... the comet still has a bag slot, maybe two, but not four no more.
The new ones really are that much more stable.

Oh man don't get me started on how the Svea (saw-vay aah) sucks as a comet replacement, good for a rookie with less angle control maybe. I had a glow one. For glow kinda things, it was better than nothing. I got a glow uplink that throws like a buzzz and a glow paradox thats goofy but both still better... haha. Honestly it's not bad, but I would rather throw my glowfly.

The new ones really are that much more stable.
I don't need any new ones. I have several older 175ish Z that I like and they barely wear in. I've beat a couple Hexes to kinda flippy that I like for touch and turnover FH lines so I'll probably go with a old ESP for BH flip up and turnover lines.

My MJ color shift is kinda stable for a Comet but not terribly so.

Latest posts