• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

Some of the new Z is good too, I have an Archer with the slightly gummy plastic just before numbers were added to the molds with the Shimmer to the plastic. That plastic reminds me of the old Elite Z that had the stamps on the edge raised up and built into the disc with the old Discraft logo, in terms of the slight flex/gummy feel the old Elite Z from those early runs.

Yeah, i got one of those Archers to. . that Z plastic is the best i felt for years

In the latest Johnny Discgolf video Paul said he will have TWO new moulds out this year. . .i know a mid has been talked about but TWO moulds?!. . . so that´s five Mcbeth moulds in one year!

According to Paul McBeth on the latest Johnny Discgolf video, Infinite Discs apparently has somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 Big Z Zeus' that will be up on their website soon.

Paul said that 2500 were made. 500 will be for sale at Worlds, and the rest will be sold at Infinite Discs.

2000pc sounds alot for ONE retailer to sell. . .but lots of $ to Mcbeth

Why all these Big-Z disc? First the Luna and now the Zeus. . .does Discraft have a lot of Big-Z plastic they need to "get rid of" ?

It´s odd but my 164g solid color Zeus feels like a Big-Z/Ti mix . . .not at all like the "shiney ESP" Kongs or high weight Zeus i have

ESP is more similar to Star than BigZ.

Not at all. ESP is firmer than most runs of Star. It is harder than any run of Star ESP I have seen. (Hardness and firmness are not synonyms, regardless of the common usage)
Also, lightly run your finger tips across both. The texture of the plastics are entirely different.

Discraft does not have a direct answer to Star. ESP is closer in feel to Millennium plastic than Star, but a bit tougher.

Last edited:
If you had three discs, one in star, one in esp, and one in big Z, you could very easily see just how wrong you are.

Dude, I have all 3. I am a disc hoarder and somewhat of a super sensor. Read through my posts and you will see how much I complain about the smallest amounts of change made to a plastic blend.
The similararity between the Big Z and Star is why I do not bag a Big Z. I do not like the hand feel of either.

Older PFN ESP plastic was softer and discrafts version of "star" plastic for sure. However now you could argue the newer revamped swirly ESP is certainly stiffer and not as gummy as the older stuff / compared to star. The newer stuff is certainly more durable aswell.

Not at all. ESP is firmer than most runs of Star. It is harder than any run of Star ESP I have seen. (Hardness and firmness are not synonyms, regardless of the common usage)
Also, lightly run your finger tips across both. The texture of the plastics are entirely different.

Discraft does not have a direct answer to Star. ESP is closer in feel to Millennium plastic than Star, but a bit tougher.

The KONGs i have is very close to a Swirl Star Leo3 i have. . but most new ESP has texture in the plastics that the "old ESP" did not have.

So i would say that the ESP blend in the KONGs is the closest to Star i feelt in a Discraft disc.

For me and my dry hands the Big-Z is quite slick. . i prefer the New ESP with the slight texture in it. . or the Ti, it has a bit more grip than Big-Z

The faster the disc, the less i like Big-Z. .

The texture of the plastics are entirely different.

If I remember correctly, Discraft uses a polyvinyl compound as base for their plastics and Innova uses a polypropylene base. The difference is most readily apparent with Z/Champ plastic.

Big Z is between Ti and ESP. Star is between Champ and Pro. They aren't equivalent and can't really be since the plastic bases are different anyway. This is also a reason why "ZSP" blends are very sought after by a lot of Discraft fans.

Last edited:

Latest posts