• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Design-a-bag: Get a bag! by Physical Flight

Which bag "ideas" would you like to see in a bag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nice design woods....

As for the rest of the thread :popcorn:

Carry on.

Does it matter? We're not talking about insurance fraud, here. I don't care if he's BillyR, Batman, or Barrack Hussein Obama. Let's leave the CIA computer checks for people who post Facebook statuses about 2nd Amendment rights.

Billy and I have already established our relationship. Get over it, we are really good friends now after his sons incident, friends support friends! Point blank if you don't like it stop reading his posts. I will not comment further, we let our product stand for its self.

Back to the bags. They all look great, I see a few with potential.

post deleted - it was dumb.

Last edited:
The poll will be up on Tuesday. I will not be able to reply until then. I'm going out of the country til Monday for some Red Cross relief. I won't have my cell phone. Get your ideas submitted and poll will be up next week. Thanks guys

Please keep it focused on the bags!!

The poll will be up on Tuesday. I will not be able to reply until then. I'm going out of the country til Monday for some Red Cross relief. I won't have my cell phone. Get your ideas submitted and poll will be up next week. Thanks guys

Please keep it focused on the bags!!

sounds sweet thaks for the opportunity have fun outta the country

My idea is 2 bags in 1 and seeks to rectify an issue others with backpack bags seem to have as well an issue I have.

My issue is that when I'm playing casually I bring a small traveler bag because I usually don't need any high speed drivers or backups. Though at the same time I need a larger bag for when I do need the extra discs. So my idea is one bag that can be both.

I'm basing my design off the Challenger bag currently being produced by Physical Flight and although it looks a lot like the Challenger it has a surprise. If you look at the picture you can see where I have the main backpack bag and a traveler bag next to it. Well my thought is that you can keep the frame of the backpack bag the same but make the main disc compartment removable.

On both sides of the main compartment will be two clips that will clip in to the frame of the backpack. Also on the back and bottom of the removable compartment will be velcro that will keep it snug in the frame. The backpack will still have it's reinforcements including a hard bottom that the compartment sits on and velcros to. The cool thing is that when you pull the compartment out you can attach a strap and bam... you've got a traveler bag.

The other issue I'm resolving is that I see a lot of people with backpacks that aren't using all of the disc space and they have discs falling over and looking sloppy. Well in this bag you also have another removable part which is a dual pocket that sits on either end of disc compartment and velcros in. This pocket which you can see in my diagram can be a smaller drink holder or just hold things you might go for during a round like glasses, towel, pencils, uv flashlight for glow rounds... etc.

The other cool thing about this pocket is that when it's in you are making the disc area smaller so if you're carrying 4-6 discs less than max capacity it'll hold up the discs upright. Also by having a drink holder within your bag it'll stay cooler/hotter because it'll be insulated/shaded by the bag more. Now when you have your compartment out and it's a traveler bag it serves the same purpose and gives you some drink holder action/pockets for your smaller bag.

The other changes I've made to the bag include adding a smaller elastic pocket on the front of the putter pocket for a clipboard, mini...etc.

On the right side I have a tall zipper pocket that has a few elastic pockets within it. In there you can put a jacket or mini umbrella, while still having some smaller pockets within it for whatever else. There's also another larger elastic pocket on the outside of the bag at the base. Also on this side I put an elastic ring for your stool to slide through; now the base of the stool can either go in the elastic pocket at the bottom or in to drink holder if you're not using it.

On the left side I'm keeping the two zip pockets that have a velcro barrier that can be opened in to one big pocket; or if left in tact you have two zip pockets and the bottom pocket can fit extra discs if need be. I've moved the pencil pocket up higher so you don't have to bend over as far and put a key ring at the top where you can hang your towel, keys, tags...etc.

I've also added a zip pocket at the bottom of the bag that will be apart of the removable compartment so it'll be there when you're just using it as a traveler.

The top pocket that extends down in to the disc compartment if needed via velcro will stay the same. You'll have a few more smaller pockets within that as well as another key ring.

On the bottom I'd like to see two rigid running boards for support that'll keep the bag off the ground just a bit and stabilize it.

Well that's my tweeks and ideas to make an already great bag even more badass. I hope you guys like the idea of 2 bags in 1.

picture002.jpg

Forgive me for not supplying a drawing, but I can't draw to save my life. Hopefully I'm a verbal daVinci and can guide yall through my idea.

I'd like to see a caddy bag for my dog. Think a dog harness with nutsac style disc bags hanging from either side. Add drink sleeves to one side of each bag and a pocket on the other side of each bag for light storage or dog treats. On the top running along the dogs back would be pencil pockets and a scorecard sleeve. Add a few d-rings to attach bag tags, towel, dog waste bags, a portable water dish, and whatnot and I think you could have a winner.

You'd never have to sit your bag on the ground, disks would be at easy access, wouldn't have to deal with your bag plus Fido's leash, and your dog could enjoy the trek with you. Plus many dogs feel the need to be doing a job which training them to caddy for you would fullfill.

I built a bag from the Cabela's bag very similar to this. I have the discs on the bottom so I can have storage room for jackets in the winter. Solid ideas. As a graphic designer, I appreciate the details and professionalism of your designs. Couple observations, if I may.

1. I'd be nice if the pockets on the side were deep enough for a golden retriever. Many disc golfers carry one and I would prefer to not keep it in a pocket with my phone, etc.

2. What about having the roll cover attached to the top and roll downward? That way it could double as a rain cover and would naturally stay down rather then velcro it every time. Nothing worse than the sound of velcro when someone else is driving. Plus you could make the cover a bit longer than the opening so it could protect the putter from rain too.

3. Plastic handle could bother the users head, especially if looking up into a tree for a fellow golfers disc.

4. What about a semi-hidden zippered pocket between the putter and the main bag? If someone is using the other pocket as a putter pocket, it could be a excellent place for putters, phone, etc.

5. Towel attachment? On my bag, I added clips to the top (near the handle) so the towel drapes off the side.

theabacus,

Thanks for the kinda words! Yeah, my first idea was to have the zippered flap from the top but I figured that I would present it this way since it was more reminiscent of the Cabela. It's something that could be revised and I do like you're idea better. The plastic handle would be tilted away from the body and wouldn't be an issue i think, plus when tilted away it makes it more easier to grab and go. I like your #4 question on pocket space. That is an alternative to more pocket space. Towel clips can be an add-on during production specs but I do see the need for them in my sketch.

What about a bag specifically for glow golf? I don't know if there is a big enough market, but it could work. I would start with a smaller backpack design, enough for 14 discs max because people don't have as large glow bags. (think a shorter challenger without the side pockets) I would then add very reflective fabric like on bicycle vests to the back and side. The top and sides would be dedicated to EXTREMELY easy access pockets for the phone and flashlight because nobody wants to fumble in the dark getting their necessities out. There would also be a mesh pocket positioned on the front of the putter pocket for quick access to bug spray and other items

The real kicker though would be an array of UV lights in the disc section, powered by a removable rechargeable battery that sits in the bottom of the bag, in a cushioned compartment accessible by a zipper. Depending on how long the batteries last, you could make a compartment for additional batteries to replace yours if it dies mid-game. The switch would be located on the very top of the bag, near the bag handle.

Last edited:
What about a bag specifically for glow golf? I don't know if there is a big enough market, but it could work. I would start with a smaller backpack design, enough for 14 discs max because people don't have as large glow bags. (think a shorter challenger without the side pockets) I would then add very reflective fabric like on bicycle vests to the back and side. The top and sides would be dedicated to EXTREMELY easy access pockets for the phone and flashlight because nobody wants to fumble in the dark getting their necessities out. There would also be a mesh pocket positioned on the front of the putter pocket for quick access to bug spray and other items

The real kicker though would be an array of UV lights in the disc section, powered by a removable rechargeable battery that sits in the bottom of the bag, in a cushioned compartment accessible by a zipper. Depending on how long the batteries last, you could make a compartment for additional batteries to replace yours if it dies mid-game. The switch would be located on the very top of the bag, near the bag handle.

Great idea! this light/led idea makes me think of pimp my ride except it would be called pimp my bag. :hfive:

I know this is against the rules. But hey, I was bored. This is NOT my entry. I am just tossing it out there.

I call it The Gas Mask. It's a medium sized bag built for quad hook-ups. 2 external putter pockets on either side of the front angle 2 small dividers into the bag. 6 in each divider + 2 putters = 14 discs. One insulated bottle holder is dead center behind the dividers to keep the weight symmetrical. There is a large zippered pocket inside front between the dividers. The back corners also offer miscellaneous storage for towels, birdie bag, etc. Each side on the outside offers a large mesh pocket and a mini/pencil holder on one side, with a scorecard pouch on the other. The front is clean, with the PF logo. The back is padded. There are rubber feet on the bottom to protect the bag from mud/moisture. The top flap does fold back behind the bottle holder/dividers. It's not a bag fit for a lot of stuff, but it will carry the necessities with ease and a little extra room.

The discs are not angled up like The Howitzer design; they go into the bag level. I just had to put an angle on sketches because the bag is not a rectangle, so it offered extra dimensions to account for.

Attachments

• WP_001054.jpg
    WP_001054.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 187
I know this is against the rules. But hey, I was bored. This is NOT my entry. I am just tossing it out there.

I call it The Gas Mask. It's a medium sized bag built for quad hook-ups. 2 external putter pockets on either side of the front angle 2 small dividers into the bag. 6 in each divider + 2 putters = 14 discs. One insulated bottle holder is dead center behind the dividers to keep the weight symmetrical. There is a large zippered pocket inside front between the dividers. The back corners also offer miscellaneous storage for towels, birdie bag, etc. Each side on the outside offers a large mesh pocket and a mini/pencil holder on one side, with a scorecard pouch on the other. The front is clean, with the PF logo. The back is padded. There are rubber feet on the bottom to protect the bag from mud/moisture. The top flap does fold back behind the bottle holder/dividers. It's not a bag fit for a lot of stuff, but it will carry the necessities with ease and a little extra room.

The discs are not angled up like The Howitzer design; they go into the bag level. I just had to put an angle on sketches because the bag is not a rectangle, so it offered extra dimensions to account for.
Cool design! Almost looks like the short lived "Santa Cruz" bag. I like it!

You would have problems charging flight plates that were up against other discs. Though you'd have nice bright rims...
I'd add a capacitor and flash bulb on the end to quick charge said plates.

So, what, no one wants a bag they can adjust and alter for a given day's playing style? Has there already been a bag that tried this and failed, that I missed? Otherwise, I thought it was a decent, and unique idea. Not more derivitive bags that just re-arrange features already on lots of other bags...(no offense, the designs still look cool, with some cool ideas)

Last edited:
Take a golf mahals top loading middle section including putter pocket, yoke, rainfly and main disc compartment. Add the grip side pockets and water bottle holders. Reattach the small side pockets from the mahal to those. Finally add the stacked disc design from big hyzer in the dead space above the main disc compartment. I guess you get about 3-4 disc stacked in this area. Bag should hold 18-20 total.

Bag should also have rails on the bottom like the grip to help keep it upright.

Here's a sketch of my idea:
D44C7B3B-B22B-49E3-9728-46B030A5B2C7-6099-00000A82FD0FB61E.jpg

Not more derivitive bags that just re-arrange features already on lots of other bags...(no offense, the designs still look cool, with some cool ideas)

More often than not, great designs are based on or inspired by others. Sometimes rearranging one piece of another design is all that is needed to create a better one. :)

Believe me, If I wanted to I could create a bag design that would probably blow everyone else's out of the water. That type of work requires time and I get paid to design things. As an artist, if something takes several hours or more to complete it no longer becomes a cool or fun project to receive a freebie for. As someone pointed out in an earlier post about incentives or compensation for work rendered it does make a good argument for what type of work is being done here. On the other hand, I understand PF's expenses and costs of what goes into making a bag. That being said, a designer's concept or design work can sometimes be the most expensive part of a project. So, tread lightly on artistic designs that may be a derivative of a bag that just re-arranges features already on lots of other bags.

By the way, you misspelled derivative. :D

My idea would be for a 2-piece modular design. The main bag would be like a standard top entry tourney bag but with an integral backpack back/straps. Then you'd have a smaller bag that could attach on top of the main bag and to the back, to create a full backpack. this way you have 3 bags in one - a full backpack for when you have to lug tons of stuff, a small bag for quickie rounds/glowie etc and a medium size bag for anything in between.

Currently I use a PF Chally for tournaments so I can carry extra discs, towels, clothes, food, etc etc, a Fade Crunch Box for casual/league rounds where I don't need all of the 'stuff' but I want to carry 10-12 discs and a Discraft Weekender for quick rounds or smaller courses.

I'm not even going to attempt a drawing, I think the idea is pretty straight forward. Now, go make my bag :)

I call her the Kitchen Sink.
555215_388154124610734_1429937851_n.jpg

23328_388154137944066_1267775735_n.jpg

I thought about my design all day and finally settled on a scout packish idea. The whole design is built around the idea that I hate bending over to pick discs pretty much off the ground. So my idea, move the discs to the top.

The main problem with this is the fact that 20 to 30 discs sitting 2-3 feet off the ground is unstable so I have opted for a smaller compartment at the top. This would hold 8-9 discs comfortably with two putters. This allows for easy access to those top discs we always through. I carry 22 at the moment in my grip, 12 of those are specialty discs I might no even need during a round.

This is where the bottom storage come into play. Those discs like a hornet that you might to throw every time but is nice to have for those intense mid hyzers would be on you but not taking up space. This would store around 20 discs adding some bottom weight to this bag.

Open space in the middle could be used to store anything, primarily jackets for these fall days that start out freezing by the end of the round. In front of that would be two smaller pockets for essentials that don;t take up too much room. Finally we have two 32oz water bottle holders, a small cell phone pocket, and a stool band and bottom holder.

The main advantage though of this bag is the ability for the top part to be removed for those weekday games that come out of nowhere. you already have you most important discs ready, plus small pockets for keys and a small water bottle.

The bottom would consist of a plasti dip version of the grip feet. They work great for any grade of hill and would add some stability to the bag.

Any critiques would be awesome.

Let me clarify for those who have now taken issue to what we are trying to do. Physical Flight would like your "ideas" or "take" on what you feel a bag should look and function like.

We will then take the best 3-4 "ideas" and vote to see who has the best one.

Physical Flight will then go thru the design process and incorporate the winning "idea" into one of our bags. Of course the bag we make will have our own design cues that we incorporate into each of our bags (i.e. dimensions, size, materials etc.) to make it functional.

The best "idea" wins one of our new bags.

We already have one bag on the horizon called the "Contender" that will be out shortly. The new bag that we are going to make AFTER the contender will be called the "Champ".

Looking for ideas and concepts, not full design work.
Idea: The disc storage and orientation of The Howizter. Or Putter pocket that's on the strap, on your chest, like a shoulder holster!
Personal Desire: I want this pocket here, and this space THIS big, with a thingy RIGHT HERE, cause that's how I'd like it.

Or maybe I'm just off-track, and this is a "what my perfect bag should look like" thread.

Edit: Putter Shoulder Holster...quick-draw putt! Awesome!

Last edited:
I would take the Kitchen sink and build in a two person dome tent and small stove. Some courses you can camp at. Looking forward to winning this! Great idea, thanks for the opportunity.