• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT- 2018 Discraft Great Lakes Open

Question: understanding these are the best players in the world, but should hole #2 be a par 4 not a 5?

All of this raises a question for me. How many disc golfers can rest a supporting point on a blade of grass?

When the disc is released, the player must have at least one supporting point within the teeing area, and all supporting points must be within the teeing area. A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support. The player is allowed to have a supporting point outside the teeing area before or after, but not at, the moment the disc is released.

Um, this isn't clear enough to me. If I put on my lawyer hat, support has a definition but the phrase: in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support, does not require that it be supporting your foot/body, bubkus etc. It reads to me that the surface has to be capable of support, but not that it is supporting, just in contact with.

Ten, the number of pages it will take to make this clear to me.

It should be a par 4, even for USADGC.

I've gotta disagree with this.

There were only 5 people that got the eagle each day. Just because these robots can eagle it doesn't mean it should be a par 4. It takes 2 very good shots to get an eagle putt. Sure, it was the most birdied hole each day, but that's because it really isn't a very hard hole unless you make it hard. Hyzer, hyzer, putter/mid, putter.

Day 2 it averaged 4.34 - .66 strokes under par. The same day, hole 7 averaged 3.42 - .58 strokes under par. Pretty similar stats.. does that mean hole 7 should be a par 3? No. They're just the easier holes to birdie on the course.

Just my $.02

IDK why it is a "supporting point" at all. Cant it just be a "point of contact"?

The supporting point is meant to force you to put your weight behind that point, by my thinking. If it's just contact, it changes the positioning a lot. Then Dan Stork Roddick can lean forward with all six foot something of his frame and drop the disc in from twenty feet out because he still has his toe on the ground. FYI, a lot of the putting rules structure is based on what DSR did when he played, IIRC.

Huh? Dont really get what you mean. He still needs to demonstrate balance before advancing. And not have any point of contact any closer than the rear edge of the marker.

I have been in the thick so bad that it actually made sense to put my hand behind the mini. I wasnt going to lean onto it though. It was just one point where my body touched the ground (with no other point any closer).

Hole 2 strikes me as one of those holes that no one is ever going to agree on what par should be for it. Based on the DGLO stats, as a par 5, it was the easiest hole on the course relative to par. With those same scores, it would have been the most difficult hole as a par 4. Bottom line is, as is, it is either going to be an easy par 5 or a difficult par 4. Either number works, but no way is either number clearly going to achieve a consensus "correct" par.

Seems to me that to "fix" the hole, either the tee needs to be stretched back about 100 feet (or angled in some way to add more challenge to placing the drive at the base of the hill) and left as a par 5, or the tee needs to be shortened 50-100 feet and changed to a par 4. I think it's one of those holes that is perfectly suited for what the course has been used for for the last 15 years (USADGC) but not necessarily ideal for an elite pro field. It's a matter of deciding which is the priority.

I think this ^^ is what ball golf does. Preserve par and adjust something to get the desired outcome. PMantle knows more about this than I do.

I've gotta disagree with this.

There were only 5 people that got the eagle each day. Just because these robots can eagle it doesn't mean it should be a par 4. It takes 2 very good shots to get an eagle putt. Sure, it was the most birdied hole each day, but that's because it really isn't a very hard hole unless you make it hard. Hyzer, hyzer, putter/mid, putter.

Day 2 it averaged 4.34 - .66 strokes under par. The same day, hole 7 averaged 3.42 - .58 strokes under par. Pretty similar stats.. does that mean hole 7 should be a par 3? No. They're just the easier holes to birdie on the course.

Just my $.02
Yes, hole 7 and 15 were likely candidates for par 3s based on the stats. When you have just three holes that average 0.6 under par, especially when the scores aren't padded with penalties, your decimal par will be inflated by almost 2 throws (3 x 0.6). Integer values for par do not provide enough information to help evaluate relatively small differences in performance between scores on two different courses.

Thanks for the feedback on the par for hole #2. Maybe it is a par 5, I don't know, but from the casual viewer's perspective, they sure made 3s look easy, and 4s the default. Do pros get a 5 on the hole and feel like they stayed even with the field, or that they lost a stroke.

I'm actually a "I don't care what par is" guy, but when it comes to declaring PMb down 18, he sure made that eagle look like a gimme.

Seems to me that to "fix" the hole, either the tee needs to be stretched back about 100 feet (or angled in some way to add more challenge to placing the drive at the base of the hill) and left as a par 5, or the tee needs to be shortened 50-100 feet and changed to a par 4. I think it's one of those holes that is perfectly suited for what the course has been used for for the last 15 years (USADGC) but not necessarily ideal for an elite pro field. It's a matter of deciding which is the priority.

Right. Brought up in the "Michigan New Course Updates" thread or whatever it's called, someone mentioned just moving the basket the to the right or left (right would be best IMO so you can walk by the top of the hill to clear the next group on your way to hole 3).

It is a very easy par 5. I got 8 rounds in at Toboggan this year including my 3 dglo rounds and I got the 4 each time. I definitely didn't birdie any other hole every time.

Paul's round still gets my vote for the best or one of the best ever, but if you were showing it off on say, ESPN, looked more like a -17 to me.

Based on my observation that declaring hole #2 a par 5 is "giving" a stroke away. This is why I don't care what a scorecard says "par" is.

Why? It's not like PGA players don't ever get eagles.
They basically get them on similar par 5 holes that even the hard core ball golfer would say is "soft" and is now intended to have an eagle chance. But when it first started happening with a putt rather than holing out from off the green, there was much anguish over this happening as driving distances increased.

Latest posts