• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Waco Annual Charity Open presented by Dynamic Discs

If -15 is the low score every round this weekend, I'd be more inclined to call it a "norm". But for one round, it doesn't mean a lot. Koling averaged -11 to win each of the last two years (-34 and -33 for three rounds). That seems reasonable to me.

I know this course looks and feels a lot more like what NT/DGPT level tournaments should be played on, especially compared to the first two events of the season. Even if the hot scores are ridiculously good. Seeing the first round leader shoot a 52 rather than a 40 just feels more appropriate for this kind of tournament regardless of what it is relative to par.

Pars for this course seem to be set for Advanced players. Which makes sense if the idea is to serve run-of-the-mill disc golfers.

Par for Open players should be about 6 lower. That would make Koling's exceptional 1st round -9, while the average of -11 the last two years would be -5, which is what should be expected for the winning score per round of a big event.

Even if the course can't be changed, the pars should be adjusted so they are appropriate for Open players.

Is anyone else really bothered by hole 15? I have no issue with the OB but all those metal bars and thingys in the middle of the fairway is just...stupid. Was there really no other spot to put another hole? I'd had to play a tourney with all that garbage in the middle.

Or am I just being neurotic again?

-Dave

Nope. Memorial hole 4ish, the big hyzer and hope you dont hit the electrical cabinets down in the circle. I could go on with the examples.

Sad to say and dont flame me for it, but seems to be a US thing and especially for established classic status courses. A LOT of parking lots in play. Wintertimw, BSF, USDGC has 2 even. Very rarely have I seen this in Europe.

Idlewild and Maple Hill spring to mind as examples of the opposite.

Nope. Memorial hole 4ish, the big hyzer and hope you dont hit the electrical cabinets down in the circle. I could go on with the examples.

Sad to say and dont flame me for it, but seems to be a US thing and especially for established classic status courses. A LOT of parking lots in play. Wintertimw, BSF, USDGC has 2 even. Very rarely have I seen this in Europe.

Idlewild and Maple Hill spring to mind as examples of the opposite.

I'm not sure why it's sad to say they have parking lots in play. It's just OB. Is your concern that it is unsightly? I've seen plenty of unsightly things in Europe and in the US during disc golf tournaments. Freeways etc.

BSF is one of the better courses in the world, and is quite beautiful, parking and all. Wintertime is meh. Not bad. But not great. USDGC isn't to my liking, but given what it is, I fully complement the Innova boys for a great job.

I think everyone can agree, the big open courses seem too uniform and Un... Memorial.

I guess we aren't the only ones mad about the chat... more thumbs down than up atm...

Well that, and the audio is freaking horrible today...

Bad sound and strange commercial breaks. . and the usual bad zooms and strange angels

They showed the MPO leaderboard when they meant to show the FPO leaderboard. Then posted the wrong graphic of the following hole.

I've been trying not to say anything about how bad this is, because it is free, but my goodness, at least put some passion into it.

I finally figured out what this audio reminds me of. Alien 3 when Ripley talks to the trashed Bishop to find out what happened in the escape pod...

I was thinking it was what it must be like to listen to a call from Beto O'rourke when he's holding his cell phone in his hand.

Wow, can't the DGPT media team just stay out from the YT chat if they don't want to hear critique (commentators do not need to read comments either, viewers should be allowed to choose themselves, and moderators should do their job or why do they have such personel if not for moderating?)... I don't typically read the chat but it is obviously big part of live stream for many. They could remove (or could they?) the comments from the non-live version (haven't actually checked whether they keep the streams or remove them when post-production versions are uploaded) if they don't want people to go back and see all the negativity if that is their concern (I understand that it is not a good look for DGPT if potential sponsors check the videos and see constant trashing of the stream).

Here's what it says if you don't want to follow the link:

The round one post-produced coverage at the Waco Annual Charity Open is going to be delayed. Additionally, for the time being, we are turning off the live chat and the comments on our videos in support of our media team which is working hard and is not helped by the barrage of negative comments. The support we have gotten has helped us focus on the task at hand. Intermixed with the online criticism, we have received many messages with words of encouragement. We are working diligently to improve our media process, and we are not yet where we want to be. Thank you for the passion and care that you have for the sport, it is the reason we will succeed.

We are going to release the edited footage when it is ready and not hurry. The goal is to get the final product as good as we can. Once we have reached that point, we will release the edited shot by shot coverage and work to improve the efficiency of the process.

At the Memorial Championship, it became clear that pulling the video for post-produced coverage from the live stream was not high enough quality. For The Waco Annual Charity Open, we switched to editing the footage directly from the SD cards. In making the switch, we had to adjust our process, and we failed in properly anticipating how the process would play out. We continue to make adjustments and improve. This means the post-produced coverage for at least round one will be delayed.

Update Regarding Live Coverage
At The Memorial Championship, we made great strides to improve the live broadcast after a rocky start with YouTube issues and a new crew. At the Waco Annual Charity Open, we have a new technical director due to our previous technical director being on vacation. With a new technical director comes a new set of processes. This resulted in a lack of advertisements during the day one coverage. We also encountered an issue with the Udisc Live graphics which we are working to resolve. As a result of today's announcements we have chosen to disable the chat on the live video. Disabling the chat will allow for our commentators to focus on the commentary, our viewers to focus on the stellar play, and our moderators not being overworked dealing with negative comments that we have brought on ourselves. As always we are working hard to improve our processes, and we look forward to what is to come.

For the life of me I can't understand why the chat would upset them so much. I would WELCOME feedback from my target customer base, especially if I had much that needed repair. That they are so thin-skinned and read into so much of the comments says a lot. Be strong knowing that you're offering something no one else is, that you're working out the kinks, but OWN what you're doing and let people talk. Shutting down the chat on the live stream really kills a lot of the enjoyment, and I don't just mean the piling on of negaticity, I mean the comradery and keeping up with people and pacing better by letting people chat during a round where, well, it's golf, so it's a few second sof action to many minutes of waiting and walking.

Latest posts