• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Houston, TX to Cincinnati, OH and back

I am local to the Burns Park courses in North Little Rock so I could show you around them. Also, going from Little Rock back to Houston, if you take I30 you can stop at Hot Springs to play Cedar Glades which was designed by John Houck. I haven't played it, but I plan on it pretty soon.

Thanks for the invite. Have you ever played Horseshoe Canyon Ranch? We're only gonna get one in that day and we've pretty well narrowed down to hauling a$$ down I-55, I-40 to little rock and then playing both burns courses OR head west from St. L on I-44, drop south to HCR, then push south to little rock to crash for the night.

I've heard only great things about HCR so we are leaning that way. I passed it on a motorcycle trip in march - and its beautiful country. I passed russelville and cedar glades that trip too but i was on a cbr1000rr with my gf so there was no room for discs:thmbdown:

Thanks for the invite. Have you ever played Horseshoe Canyon Ranch? We're only gonna get one in that day and we've pretty well narrowed down to hauling a$$ down I-55, I-40 to little rock and then playing both burns courses OR head west from St. L on I-44, drop south to HCR, then push south to little rock to crash for the night.

I've heard only great things about HCR so we are leaning that way. I passed it on a motorcycle trip in march - and its beautiful country. I passed russelville and cedar glades that trip too but i was on a cbr1000rr with my gf so there was no room for discs:thmbdown:

I haven't played HCR, but I too have heard great things about it from people that have. Its hard for me to get away to play since I am going to college. From what I have heard, it sounds like it would be the one to play, but I am biased to the Burns courses ;). If heat is an issue though, then the shade at Burns might be welcomed. IDK, its a tough call, maybe try to contact someone that has played both and ask their opinion if there is anyone that has.

^^^^^As far as I can tell the main draw back from the Burns is that they get real crowded. We'll be coming through on a Fri afternoon. Whatdaya think?

^^^^^As far as I can tell the main draw back from the Burns is that they get real crowded. We'll be coming through on a Fri afternoon. Whatdaya think?

The blue course is NEVER crowded because it is longer and the rec players don't like it. The worst I have seen the red course was on a Sat morning and even then it was ok to play a round in about an hour and a half with a group of 2-3. You can normally count how many people there are on the course. I will go to it in the next couple of Fridays to check it out though if you want.

Three standouts I would definitely work into this trip. 1. Bud Hill near Memphis, TN. 2. Mt. Airy in Cincinnati, OH. 3. Mesker Park in Evansville, IN.
All 3 are very playable, but not easy-cheesey. Elevation is a factor at all of them, which I love. None are so wooded that you can't score well with consistent good throws. Water is minimal or absent at each one. If you want to play some real bruisers, try Lindsay Gold in Tyler, TX and Idlewild in Burlingtion, KY. Have fun!

^^^ Thanks, I'm really looking foward to both. I think we may play the two best courses of the trip in one day.

Has anyone played Hiller in the Hills? Its the only private ocurse we are going to so i was hoping for any info about scheduling a round (i see the phone # the on course page) or the owner. I heard this course is kinda hard to find.

Howie at holler in the hills is great and can guide you there if you get lost...and it us a simply awesome course, but make sure you have fresh legs for it...

Let me start by saying thanks to everyone who has chimed in. All opinions, suggestions, and feedback is much appreciated.

Well…..as expected, everything has not gone as expected. And time flys, I've been so busy with work I haven't had much time to think about the trip. I have just a few more things to tie up here in Houston early in the week and we'll be on our way before the sun rises on Thursday morning.

Since I have to be back to work on the first Monday of August, I decided to do the trip in reverse order. This way I can cancel out one day of rest with one or two new course and still get home with a day to spare. So here's the new line up:

Day 1(July 22nd) – Houston, TX to Little Rock, AR
• Lake Bistineau SP

Day 2 – Little Rock, AR to St. Louis, MO
• Horseshoe Canyon Ranch – navigation info here is much needed

Day 3 – St. Louis, MO
• Sioux Falls – there's been much debate but I think this is the best course in STL
• Rock Springs – time permitting

Day 4 – St. Louis, MO to Cincinnati, OH
• Patoka Lake State Park – We chose Patoka over Mesker, Old English and the Fun Farm, good call?
• Gonna stop in at the New Albanian Brewing Company in New Albany, IN for some bada$$ pizza and a cold brew
• Mt. Airy – time permitting

Day 5
• Lincoln Ridge Park
• For lunch its gonna be a deli sandwich on rt 42
• Idlewild

Day 6 & 7
• I will still be sitting in front of a computer screen doing software training :wall:

Day 8 – Cincinnati, OH to Memphis, TN
• Holler in the Hills

Day 9 – Memphis, TN – Tyler, TX
• Bud Hill - suggestions for real memphis bbq???

Day 10(July 31st) – Tyler, TX to Houston, TX
• Lindsey Gold

I should have plenty of time in the car to write up some trip updates and I will try and post some pics as well. Again, thanks to all who have contributed to the thread, it has been a big help in planning the trip.

Looks good, except I would DEF play fun farm over patoka, it's closer to the interstate also...what day will you be in new albany?

Looks good, except I would DEF play fun farm over patoka, it's closer to the interstate also...what day will you be in new albany?

First and second out was Old English and Mesker so we had it down to Patoka or Fun Farm. Why do like the farm better? I think we may have to reconsider. The fun farm looks sweet and it would cut out an hour or more of driving.

We will be passing through New Albany on Sunday. Thanks for the info.

can you give me a ballpark for when you're gonna be coming through to play sioux and (maybe) rocksprings?

normally on a saturday i'd be free for the entire day, but this is apparently the weekend to get some remodeling done on the house that i may or may not have to be present for.

fear not however, i WILL bend the housework schedule as much as i can to accommodate showing you folks around town :D

Mike, you are a true ambassador of disc golf. Take him up on the guiding guys; many of the courses in the area it is useful to have a guide.

can you give me a ballpark for when you're gonna be coming through to play sioux and (maybe) rocksprings?

normally on a saturday i'd be free for the entire day, but this is apparently the weekend to get some remodeling done on the house that i may or may not have to be present for.

fear not however, i WILL bend the housework schedule as much as i can to accommodate showing you folks around town :D

Thanks alot mike but, unfortunatly we don't have a schedule planned out yet.

Most likely we will play sioux passage(only) some time in the AM on saturday morning. After that we're gonna do all the tourist stuff: AB Brewery tour, the gateway arch (of course), and someone recomneded the city museum even though it kinda looks like a kid's museum. I wish the red birds were in town :wall:

i'll send you a pm on friday when i get a better idea.

Last edited:
fair 'nuff.

lemme know.

(not a bad idea to only do sioux anyway since the course, especially the back half, takes a lot outta ya.)

Thanks again for all the feedback and comments. We are gettin an early start today and hope to be playing Lake Bistineau SP in about 5 hours or so.

Annnnnnnnnd we offf.......

Thanks again for all the feedback and comments. We are gettin an early start today and hope to be playing Lake Bistineau SP in about 5 hours or so.

HEY!

you gotta clear some messages in your inbox so i can pm you my number!!

Hey I'm from Conroe and I plan on hittin up bud hill Fri 23rd. I already emailed Danny and they said they would try to arrange some locals to show me around. Sat they are having a fundraiser mini.

buddy, i need a number from you or a clear inbox to pm my number to or i can't show you around tomorrow!!!

^^^^ My bad. We've had along first couple of days and its been great so far. We are heading out to sioux passage about 9am this morning. I imagine we'll be stepping on the first tee around 10 or so. It will be a threesome - two white guys who are def not from st. louis and a equally out of place late 20s female.

Sorry about the miscomm, I've been pretty much disconnected with the world for the last couple of days.