• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 River

Bringing back a blast from the past with this thread....if I want to use the River as a straight, longer then my current mids, disc...similar to a longer comet (which I love)...

Should I be looking at Opto or Gold and what weights are best? I've tried to discern that through this thread, but there's a lot of stuff in it that is somewhat contradictory.

I throw comets at 172g

I'd go with goldline in the 170-172 area. My GL is pretty worn in and annys very nicely, but holds those straight shots quite well when powered down.

It depends on your power level. An Opto is going to be more stable than a Gold Line, but not hugely so: there used to be serious consistency issues with the River so that there was a large variation in flight, but I feel like recent runs have been pretty consistent. Without knowing more about your power level, I'd recommend the Opto, just for the extra bit of HSS to help ensure a straighter flight. The heavier the better is my personal thought.

It depends on your power level. An Opto is going to be more stable than a Gold Line, but not hugely so: there used to be serious consistency issues with the River so that there was a large variation in flight, but I feel like recent runs have been pretty consistent. Without knowing more about your power level, I'd recommend the Opto, just for the extra bit of HSS to help ensure a straighter flight. The heavier the better is my personal thought.

Power level is definitely something other then huge :)

I'm hoping to use the River on a few holes (and perhaps it will gain a few other uses) where I need a straight line due to cover, ceilings and tunnels, etc... etc.... where the hole is just out of reach for the Comet. For me, those holes are in the 290-320 range. I am much more of a finesse player then a power player. I will always prefer a nice, glide based line over throwing a spike hyzer, etc... if all options are present.

I bag Gold Line Rivers in these weights...161,161,162,172. With my power level I can drive my lighter ones off the tee to 275' and on a good day I might max at 300'. I can hyzer-flip my blue 161 out far (pushing that almost 300) and lazer straight and low when I do my part right. The heavier one is more stable and fades more for me. I also started with a 166 to introduce me to the mold, and dont bag it any more. I also have a few lighter (and hard to find) un-thrown backups :D.

These things have noticeable glide and can also get a decent skip if the grass is nice and short.

Starting out it can be nose angle sensitive when you first get to throwing it.

This disc is well worth the money to try out, even if you don't mesh with it, you will have no trouble reselling/trading it if you need to move it later.

I never clicked with the River until I scored a couple 164 GLs off the market place. This disc sings as a lighter weight disc. It isn't Diamond Underworld flippy, but the glide is something else. I don't get over 300' regularly, but I have managed it most often with a clean River shot, and some of those go well past that.

I like a gold line around 168. It can be powered down for finesse shots, flipped up from a hyzer or thrown for long turns.

I have an opto that's a little heavier, and it's a tick more stable and likes a little more power. I'd say the lighter Gold line is all around more versatile.

That said, I throw the FD a lot more than the River.

Just for clarification - when we are talking about the Gold line being a touch more stable - we are talking about it holding a straight line or whatever line you put it on as opposed to turning over or being overstable and hooking;correct?

The thing about Rivers and most L64 molds is dome. Dave Feldburg talks about it in his ITB. I carry a flat 160 gl and a 171 domey gl. They cover a lot of my straight and turnover shots. Opto for me seems to have a touch less glide. Oddly enough Joe's Flight Chart has the River with the same numbers as the Eagle. If you find a domey max weight it sorta makes sense but to me the River is a "Leopard class" disc with that magical Scandinavian carry.

I have a goldline river and I've been told it's a meathook compared to optos
pearly kinda lavashift 'ish

I have a pearly white GL that was my first river and I thought it seemed more overstable than it would be.

What Rivers are more overstable/understable, flat or domey?

If I can throw my mids around 250'-260' what River will be best for me to execute a sweeping turnover? The kind where it goes straight then turns over late and finishes right (RHBH)?

I know with Underworld that the TP is more stable; my experience with River has been the opposite, although I've never thrown a light Opto or a heavy GL.

The thing about Rivers and most L64 molds is dome. Dave Feldburg talks about it in his ITB. I carry a flat 160 gl and a 171 domey gl. They cover a lot of my straight and turnover shots. Opto for me seems to have a touch less glide. Oddly enough Joe's Flight Chart has the River with the same numbers as the Eagle. If you find a domey max weight it sorta makes sense but to me the River is a "Leopard class" disc with that magical Scandinavian carry.

Do you find your flatter River more flippy?

Do you find your flatter River more flippy?

I do. I like 168 flat optos for my turnovers. I have a dark blue flatty (early run) and picked up a pink new stamp (halloween stamp, werewolf?) that is nice and flat. Domey doesn't turn as easily for me. Never messed with GL much.

Are light weight GL Rivers sought after? Cause I have a white 161g with a shatter stamp and a pearly outer edge I'd be willing to trade/sell.

I have a Light Blue GL river that is just ridiculous. Does anyone else have GL rivers that are stable to OS, what characteristics, if any, can show if the disc is OS

i have a flat lavashift GL river, it's pretty OS.
but on the right throw it goes pretty straight.
just not really super consistent unless you are...

Latest posts