• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Mayhem: 23mm Distance Driver

Lil Bump for the Mayhem..

Looks like its gonna be Jamie Conrads max distance driver.
Cant wait to see one of these smashed.
2nd to last overmold to leave my bag. Not because of distance issues, just disced down for accuracy.

I feel these have the best combo of speed, stability, and control in the overmold lineup.

My fav were the Proton

The Mayhem is definitely a good distance driver. I feel like the Excite goes a little further, but the Mayhem is still very nice.

The Mayhem wouldn't ever be my main driver, but I could see bagging it for big, understable flex bombs.

Anyone thrown one of the newer swirly plasma Mayhems? I have one on the way. Not 100% sure what I am looking for it to do. Kind of an impulse buy. On a good day (last season) I could get my Waves to about 375'. Hoping for either more sheer distance, or similar distance with more stability.

Or, if nothing else, it's PRETTTTYYYYY lol

Anyone thrown one of the newer swirly plasma Mayhems? I have one on the way. Not 100% sure what I am looking for it to do. Kind of an impulse buy. On a good day (last season) I could get my Waves to about 375'. Hoping for either more sheer distance, or similar distance with more stability.

Or, if nothing else, it's PRETTTTYYYYY lol

One thing I found was that Waves were a little more erratic/flippy than Mayhems. Both have turn, but the Wave turns easier and is less likely to come back.

If you toss a Wave 375', you might crack 400' with the Mayhem.

Coincidentally threw the Mayhem (Neutron) for the first time today. Consistently just over 400' going uphill... not bad at all. I don't like super fast discs but this one seems to be OK. Controllable, perfect HSS for my form, decent glide, etc.

If you have decent form and are looking for a high-speed driver, this could be a solid recommendation.

I like the mayhem, I can't throw it properly but I can see the potential as the "easiest" mvp super max distance driver that you can cheat with anhyzer kinda like my old broken in fr forces. Which I also can't throw anymore haha. Kinda surge-y little turn little fade but very consistent. Best of luck and a solid choice for dabbling beyond your limits haha.

I like the mayhem, I can't throw it properly but I can see the potential as the "easiest" mvp super max distance driver that you can cheat with anhyzer kinda like my old broken in fr forces. Which I also can't throw anymore haha. Kinda surge-y little turn little fade but very consistent. Best of luck and a solid choice for dabbling beyond your limits haha.

I'd say the same thing about the Excite. I've been just bombing the hell out of it.

I'd say the same thing about the Excite. I've been just bombing the hell out of it.

Aha I mean I can't get it up to speed... I haven't tried the excitebut I tried the octane and catalyst, they seem more like a good flat rip kind of disc than an anny torqued max distance S kinda thing. Too much and they just dive.

bit of a necro bump (almost 6 months)

Given that I tried the Envy and Proxy and was suitably impressed with the moulds I've decided to try some others (I should go to each thread)

For current testing I have an Hex, a Tenacity, a Mayhem, and a Crave (I'd like to try the Wrath and Insanity)

So Mayhem thread

My usual distance driver is the DD Raider in: Chameleon (I don't throw much, it's pure beef and I'm at altitude), Proto (nice, seasoned, workable beef), First Run (fresh, needs trees, OS between the Chameleon and Proto), and my absolute favourite pop top light weight Lucids (162-166) just complete bombers.

So the Tenacity and Mayhem are to test against the Raider

There is reasonable online availability in Canada but not much locally in the stores. My impression is that I'd like to have one in hand to feel / assess before purchasing.

However, I did get one from a buddy to try.

Proton metal flake 174gm
I would not say that it has "pronounced dome" like the description states on the Axiom website.

Silly question but what should I expect?
(I'll say I have 375 to 400 feet of power...depending on the day and disc and to not get silly internet distance)

Thoughts on flight differences between Proton, Neutron and Plasma?
favourite plastic?

Bonus...likely differences between the Proton Mayhem and a Nuetron Tenacity (both 174...Marshallstreet's Glight Guide has the Tenacity slightly more HSS than the Mayhem...which seems incorrect to me on flight numbers)

bit of a necro bump (almost 6 months)

Given that I tried the Envy and Proxy and was suitably impressed with the moulds I've decided to try some others (I should go to each thread)

For current testing I have an Hex, a Tenacity, a Mayhem, and a Crave (I'd like to try the Wrath and Insanity)

So Mayhem thread

My usual distance driver is the DD Raider in: Chameleon (I don't throw much, it's pure beef and I'm at altitude), Proto (nice, seasoned, workable beef), First Run (fresh, needs trees, OS between the Chameleon and Proto), and my absolute favourite pop top light weight Lucids (162-166) just complete bombers.

So the Tenacity and Mayhem are to test against the Raider

There is reasonable online availability in Canada but not much locally in the stores. My impression is that I'd like to have one in hand to feel / assess before purchasing.

However, I did get one from a buddy to try.

Proton metal flake 174gm
I would not say that it has "pronounced dome" like the description states on the Axiom website.

Silly question but what should I expect?
(I'll say I have 375 to 400 feet of power...depending on the day and disc and to not get silly internet distance)

Thoughts on flight differences between Proton, Neutron and Plasma?
favourite plastic?

Bonus...likely differences between the Proton Mayhem and a Nuetron Tenacity (both 174...Marshallstreet's Glight Guide has the Tenacity slightly more HSS than the Mayhem...which seems incorrect to me on flight numbers)

Mayhems vary a little. IMO they're like a Shryke that doesn't quite glide as well. I don't see a ton of difference in Mayhems over various plastics either. Proton and Neutron are both good options. At 400' distance you should notice some turn with a Mayhem, but it probably won't flip entirely unless you throw it into a headwind.

Tenacity is WAAAYYYY flippier than any Mayhem I've thrown. The Tenacity works OK for big downwind bombs, but will turn over violently in calm or upwind conditions. I've thrown 2 Tenacities, and they're about -4 high speed turn.

I did some field work with the discs last night (played the course by my house throwing 3 or 4 off the tee)

I took the Mayhem, Tenacity and a fresh gummy Raider. I threw downwind FH and BH and upwind BH.

Mayhem and Raider were similar. Near same HSS and LSS.

The Tenacity was fine downwind. Was touchy on anhyzers. Worked well for hyzer flips.

Neither disc did anything that would make me pull the Raider.

I did also test a Crave. I liked its slower stable flight. Hyzer flips, turnovers, and straight shots. I need more work with this.

Was it your comment in the Envy thread about the overmold dong good things on putters but questionable on the high speed stuff?
I'd agree. Potentially might also impact the slower fairways positively.

I'm going to need to source an Insanity and a Wrath to test.

I'm digging the crave a lot. Mine are newer runs, which I think are supposed to be straighter than older runs?

Stupid long for a fairway. I figured insanity would be similar flight a couple speeds up, just haven't thrown them enough to be confident in how much I can give it to get some high speed turn but still able to come out at the end. I'll get it dialed in though, I've been throwing plasmas…initially ordered cosmic neutrons and they were board flat and are massive meat hooks. Avoid those.

I've got a couple mayhems but haven't really thrown them at all until I get the insanity dialed in.

I bought Mayhem on a whim, wondering if I could sneak out a few more feet of distance over my Waves. I can't. It's too fast for me. However, it's the best FH disc I've thrown. My FH technique is faaaarrrrrr from pretty. But I can easily put my plasma mayhem out 340' regularly, straight with a moderate fade. That's far and away better and more reliable than anything else I've tried FH.

I've got some cosmic insanity light weight... l like em.

I also have a Mayhem I can't throw but it is an awesome "out of my range" disc to "cheat" with. And by cheat I mean some Torquay shots, like 45 degree hatchet BH and FH. Glad you got some sweet FH out on it JB

I bought Mayhem on a whim, wondering if I could sneak out a few more feet of distance over my Waves. I can't. It's too fast for me. However, it's the best FH disc I've thrown. My FH technique is faaaarrrrrr from pretty. But I can easily put my plasma mayhem out 340' regularly, straight with a moderate fade. That's far and away better and more reliable than anything else I've tried FH.

Yeah, 340' isn't really enough to get anything out of a Mayhem. 400' is when you start seeing some good turn/S curve out of them.

The Wave is definitely flippier than the Mayhem.

Yeah, 340' isn't really enough to get anything out of a Mayhem. 400' is when you start seeing some good turn/S curve out of them.

The Wave is definitely flippier than the Mayhem.

Ha very true, but if someone insists on throwing a speed 13? Driver that's out of their speed range I would say the mayhem is an excellent choice. I use it occasionally for windy days and to swiftly beat down any notions of nostalgia I have that I might still be able to throw something like that or a force.