• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Mayhem: 23mm Distance Driver

May-hems come back to you :)
Sorry couldn't resist, I feel for you

EPIC story! Well, kinda.

So I was just annoyed yesterday thinking about my disc lost on the hillside in the treetops and bushes. I looked pretty good the day it happened. I went back last night with some hedge clippers and work gloves and a heavy dose of bug spray.

I hacked my way to the base of the big tree that I was pretty sure it hit.

I looked around the trench, the rocks, the bushes, chopped down the weeds, made some paths but still, nothing :\

Then I concluded that....its NOT on the ground...it cant be, I looked EVERYWHERE. So I started ONLY looking up.

I guessed that it clipped the top and either fell and got tangled on the top end of the tree, or got through a little and hyzered out on top of the medium trees. It was like a birds nest with leaves and dead branches, like a legit canopy....kept looking up.

Juuuuust when I was almost going to give up I see a liiiittle sliver on an angle up there. And at first I'm like...."is that just a leaf turned to show the pale side next to another disc looking leaf?

Sure enough I saw the rim and I was like "Thank God / No Way"

I climbed up a little bit and shook the hell outta that branch...eventually it fell. It was actually only like 50ft from the pin, if it hyzered over those branches it woulda been an Ace...mark it a 1 bro.

I played out the hole and took my par. Time to update that scorecard.

I found it!!!! :thmbup::thmbup:

I got one of these in players pack. I threw it in the bag to try while playing Jones East in Emporia. What a great disc, I have never had any interest in Axiom because of the goofy colors, but this disc is a bomber! I ended up throwing it most of the round and was just immediately in sync with it. The wind picked up as a front moved in halfway through the round, but it still performed well even with the wind!

I used it twice on the way to birdie on hole 13, a tough hole that was playing somewhat into the wind. Nice smooth drive, then a good rip on a low line under trees guarding the basket. For my arm (probably about 370 avg, 400 absolute max), this is about the perfect general purpose driver. Enough turn that distance is good, but stable enough to handle moderate winds and have that reliable fade. I can rip it flat and get a little turn, put a touch of anny on it to stretch distance, or hyzer to hold that line the whole way. I think MikeC said like a beat Destroyer, and that is exactly how I would describe it ... or a brand new Lucid Trespass maybe. To me, it seemed to have a little extra glide though ... like the Shryke.

Now I think it might fight its way into my bag. I've been bagging a max weight Lucid Sheriff and a 168 Star Shryke to cover my general driver duties (with Enforcers for beef and a Bolt for understable), but this could take the place of both!

I got one of these in players pack. I threw it in the bag to try while playing Jones East in Emporia. What a great disc, I have never had any interest in Axiom because of the goofy colors, but this disc is a bomber! I ended up throwing it most of the round and was just immediately in sync with it. The wind picked up as a front moved in halfway through the round, but it still performed well even with the wind!

I used it twice on the way to birdie on hole 13, a tough hole that was playing somewhat into the wind. Nice smooth drive, then a good rip on a low line under trees guarding the basket. For my arm (probably about 370 avg, 400 absolute max), this is about the perfect general purpose driver. Enough turn that distance is good, but stable enough to handle moderate winds and have that reliable fade. I can rip it flat and get a little turn, put a touch of anny on it to stretch distance, or hyzer to hold that line the whole way. I think MikeC said like a beat Destroyer, and that is exactly how I would describe it ... or a brand new Lucid Trespass maybe. To me, it seemed to have a little extra glide though ... like the Shryke.

Now I think it might fight its way into my bag. I've been bagging a max weight Lucid Sheriff and a 168 Star Shryke to cover my general driver duties (with Enforcers for beef and a Bolt for understable), but this could take the place of both!
Welcome to the Gyro side

I've only been throwing their stuff for about a year n half or so and honestly if you look at my signature I throw everything. I still do, but Gyro discs are really growing. Some of them are super good for their duty.

If I had any other recommendations it would be :
Atom - in electron and proton to get that 4/3/-0.5/0.5 and 4/3/0/1 flight
-----also proxy and envy are sweet but for me the atoms are working, envy is killer tho 4/4/0/1.5

Alias - Soooo dammmmn straight

Inertia - 10/5/-2/2
Wrath - 10/4/0/2

Mayhem you know
Octane is like a more Stable at high speeds mayhem, if you are ever a little worried of the mayhem turning TOO much, just Octane yo

So would you say the Octane is like a new Destroyer, or could play like a Fuzion Enforcer that I currently bag?

Also, have you had a chance to throw the Panic? It seemed like it might be the natural OS complement to the Mayhem...

So would you say the Octane is like a new Destroyer, or could play like a Fuzion Enforcer that I currently bag?

Also, have you had a chance to throw the Panic? It seemed like it might be the natural OS complement to the Mayhem...

The Octane I have is more like a slightly worn or lighter GStar Destroyer. It definitely has some turn at ~400 feet of power where most fresh Star Destroyers do not. It has a very nice flight though, great dependable distance lines with it. I haven't thrown the Mayhem yet, but my guess is that the Panic will be a better OS compliment, closer to a Star Destroyer or your Enforcer. Then again it depends on how you set up your bag. Some people don't mind having different molds for every slight variation in stability whereas others want to cycle fewer molds or get them in different plastics/weights to cover more lines.

In my Eyes it goes like this:

Nitro - OS beef Destroyer
Panic - I would assume an OS Destroyer
Octane - a Star Destroyer that's seen about 3 months of use
Mayhem - a Worn Star Destroyer - some flip, not turn and burn

Also FYI --- Proton Plastic is typically more stable-OS than Neutron.

Order of stability from my experience

--OS-------S----Slightly US--US
Proton, Neutron, Plasma, Electron

So I have 2 Octanes, 1 is proton 1 is neutron, Proton is more OS, Neutron is still plenty OS for me, it will turn just enough for distance, a 174g Neutron Octane is a dream for a power thrower. For me for max D I use the Mayhem, Octane in headind or to guarantee a more LEft finish.

I also use a Tern or DDX or understable, Outlaw for slightly overstable, Stiletto for REally OS. I like all discs that are good so im not saying just MVP stuff is good. But I think the Mayhem, Octane combo is solid as F

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Thomas and Hughes! I am going to start minimalist, so will try probably a Neutron Panic. If I need something in between then I will add the Octane...

Good to know on the Nitro, I play in some insane winds in Texas sometimes where you need all the beef you can get! I played one tourney with like 40mph winds and the most stable disc I had with me was a Prodigy D1. I was hyzering it into the wind and still getting big S flights out of it :eek:

After that I learned to always have a couple of super beefy discs on-hand. I keep a Fluid Enforcer and an Opto Trident for that now.

Thanks for the input Thomas and Hughes! I am going to start minimalist, so will try probably a Neutron Panic. If I need something in between then I will add the Octane...

Good to know on the Nitro, I play in some insane winds in Texas sometimes where you need all the beef you can get! I played one tourney with like 40mph winds and the most stable disc I had with me was a Prodigy D1. I was hyzering it into the wind and still getting big S flights out of it :eek:

After that I learned to always have a couple of super beefy discs on-hand. I keep a Fluid Enforcer and an Opto Trident for that now.

If you want just 1 mold I say go Octane, but I haven't used a Panic so idk....but I feel the Panic will be TOO OVERSTABLE to be a workhorse driver. Proton Octane, Neutron Octane, lighter weight neutron Octane would be a good set if you want just 1 mold. but hey do whatever and let us know!

In my Eyes it goes like this:

Nitro - OS beef Destroyer
Panic - I would assume an OS Destroyer
Octane - a Star Destroyer that's seen about 3 months of use
Mayhem - a Worn Star Destroyer - some flip, not turn and burn

I'd agree with that, assuming you had a consistent stack of Destroyers ;)

Panic is too OS to be my go to distance driver and I'm putting Octanes and Mayhems 550-600'. It and the Nitro are both beefy discs that are more for stiff headwinds, flex lines etc. IMO than general purpose max D.

Octane, Mayhem and Teleport are what I'd look at for that slot, with the Octane having the least amount of turn of those three and Teleport having the most.

I had a bunch of tourney credit at a local disc shop, so stopped in and picked up a 172 proton octane based on your input. Wind was 10-12mph today so good to test. Threw mayhem flat and it turned quite a bit and never fought back, octane stayed almost straight and nice fade at end. Good call, I think these two discs can handle most every general shot. Great disc and complement to the mayhem!!

I also picked up a proton crave and matrix to play with. I can tell I'm going to love that crave, awesome control disc both BH and FH.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah my max weight proton Octane is dumb... flat release with 450 feet of power that sucker is going straight then fading. Makes no sense. Wondering if I should get a 167ish neutron Octane or one of these??

Yeah my max weight proton Octane is dumb... flat release with 450 feet of power that sucker is going straight then fading. Makes no sense. Wondering if I should get a 167ish neutron Octane or one of these??
My proton/eclipse Octanes are quite overstable at first too but develop a nice turn after taking some damage. After that they keep that worn in phase for a long time

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

So, I finally broke down and got one of these guys. It's a pink on pink Proton with a good dome and it looks like a bomber. Hoping for a big time hyzerflip machine that can cope with some wind.

attachment.php

Welp if i dont sell out should make a nice distance driver! Have nearly lost all my octane/catalysts. Maybe replace both with 1 mold?

Attachments

• linked_image.jpg
    linked_image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 201
I have two, and they look completely different, yet don't really fly much different. First one I bought was flat like the lesser speed molds. The second is domey like the newer high speed stuff. I need more back to back throws with them. Just haven't had the time because every round I have played lately actually meant something.

Just wanted to say this is still my main workhorse driver, I have three of them that I rotate, all 169g and fly identically. This disc, for my arm speed, is close to perfection. It flies for me like a destroyer does for the big arms. Enough stability to be reliable, even in some wind, but enough turn to allow me to hit many lines. Not only that, but the distance is incredible. I also carry a Destiny, which I can get more turn and distance out of ... but the Mayhem is usually very close and much more reliable/controllable. Fantastic disc!

I've been having problems with the neutrons. I grabbed 2 neutrons and a proton. I LOVE the proton. It has that beautiful slight turn out of the box but consistent fade. It's been great for hitting lines. I would not try and throw this for pure hyzers though, it has too much stretch in the middle portion of it's flight.

That being said, for some reason I can't get the neutrons to do anything consistent. They seem to have that problem of having a magical amount of turn/fade where I either hit it and it ends up hyzering or I go too hard and it flips. I don't know, they just don't gel with me the same way the proton does. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm currently sorting through all of the Axiom/MVP drivers. I love my PD2s and don't think they'll move. However, finding good wraiths is a challenge and moonshine havocs are already OOP (although they haven't officially announced it). I picked up Mayhems, Excites, an orbital and an octane.

Proton Mayhems fly like my star wraiths did. The Excite seems to be a cluster (kinda like a slightly less OS westside world). The Orbital is uber flippy, like my seasoned mooshine havoc. And the Octane flies like my ken climo wraiths.

I'm debating picking up a Wave and a Catalyst to see if I like either of those better, I think the Catalyst could replace the Mayhem and the Wave the Orbital but time will tell. Still working through all of these gyro plastic. Envys were a no-go and buzzz/buzzzOS is a dandy combo. Resistor may stick as a xxx alternative.

Latest posts