• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Today's round featured primarily: Atom, Proxy/Tempo approach, Resistor (the mellow one), Vanish.

No FH Wave (I think maybe a player two shot, but nothing on the scorecard).

One excellent Virus shot, but otherwise nothing from the 9s (I lost my Lift or it may have featured today).

One excellent Hokom Crave shot. Nothing from the Plasma.

No midrange at all.

Scoring reflected the utter lack of a gameplan, but the elbow's also been a mess. I may have to take a closer look at what can be done on that front this winter. We did see a doe and a *very* young fawn, which is always nice.

Last time at Chattahoochee I saw Isaac from a distance. The next time, I may have to be a bit fannish.

I will be curious to hear how the rhythm holds up for you in that kind of wind. I have a good feeling about its usability but I don't think I've really tested it at that mph. 🤔 the characteristics are good though to fight it, I don't know if there's enough beef to bite back enough but I'm hoping for a steady wind player. I'm playing the 172g circuit neutrons and some flat se 167s.

We did get that 10 to 15 mph wind I did use the fission rhythm SE 167g and it faded out on me a few times as a second disc but it was cold turkey without field practice. But that type of wind. so I just need to work on it when that type of wind returns and stronger up on the field, and go from there. the neutron rhythm SE 167g I had from January to May so I'm good to go there in wind 25-35 mph, but didn't get a chance to pull it back on Friday the distance and line just wasn't there. It stays close to line either wind direction, but may waiver end of flight.

Speaking of that the octane and catalyst are both flat or hyzer they can't be cheated in the wind. Too far over or too much headwind just rips ya. You might consider a fission octane same weight, and play it like a flip turd, just hyzer it every time... expect the flip and hope you planned for a fade. The Mayhem works because it can deal with an anhyzer angle, octane/catalyst can't go past 10-15 degrees anny, they are very Wraith. The Mayhem is an improved or faster surge.

I'll take your advice on the Mayhem and octane and just put that out of my mind for now thank you.

I'm curious about the new sexy DOTB but it's not in my wheelhouse, even at 170g, but with-1 turn and 3 fade it is probably a nice wind thrower.

I once had a star destroyer 172 G now in a watery grave that was excellent in a headwind left Center almost a flat disc so I'm hoping just maybe a neutron DOTB that should be flat, so perhaps it'll work out. I had remember seeing a neutron photon in a local pias and I went back to get it to get warmed up for the dotb and actually had four more to choose from so I picked up the heaviest one 168g perhaps that will get me ready for the dotb. if I happen to see a neutron defy, that way I'll go ahead and pick that up as well those numbers match dotb. I threw the neutron Photon twice today as a second disc on the course after my plasma photon it was sweet that will be a keeper, less fade than the plasma.

I stopped at a PIAS on my way home from this morning's rounds, they know me very well. One of the guys who plays, told me they were expecting a delivery of Time-Lapse today, and would split the inventory between two stores with same owner, should be on the shelf in a few days.

So, I looked online and none of my favorite vendors have any on inventory or pre-order. Two other vendors had pre-order at $40, and $35, eh!

I have store credit with PIAS, and perhaps they'll be on the shelf by Monday. Keeping it at 170g-172g hopefully, and I think the neutron will work out fine for my purposes. Trying to think do I really want to trade my backups for it to knock the price down, and my bag is happy putter to 11-speed. If it doesn't work out, I'll do the grip test, and will be patience until OTB has the inventory, have a discount with them.

"This speed 12 is good for all players", Simon is so genuine. Its almost useless sub 400.
^^^^^^^^^
This. Thank you!

This is not a criticism of the player. I think most of them when marketing their signature discs simply have no idea of what sub-400' or sub-350' max power actually feels like.

This IS a criticism of the manufacturers and retailers that perpetuate this line. Sure, I'm bitter. I was sucked in to spending hundreds of dollars my first few years buying high speed discs that did nothing but go left and dump. In my case it was mostly Prodigy, but so many manufacturers do this...

Again, not particularly aimed at Simon or MVP: but, buyer beware!

Or, at least ask yourself before buying: "Honestly, what have I been able to do with 9, 10, 11 and higher speed discs...and why would this one REALLY be different from others I've thrown?"

I am aiming this at Simon because he is being dishonest just to see.a bigger number on his bank account. Everyone is just snakes in the end when it comes to economics.

Is this the appropriate place to jump in and share how I've fallen in love with a new-to-me mold from Streamline? Got ahold of a 168 Neutron Jet and it's just perfect for me. It flips up and glides flat a long way for my physical state of being (just turned 50, hanging in there with the best MA-50 guys most of the time, RHBH off the tee has always been my big bugaboo). I'll add a little more hyzer in a moderate or less headwind and it still behaves well. I've gotten in the habit of pulling it out of my bag and stating, "Once you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way!"

Nothing against Sharks, especially the 20+year-old Champion one a nearby MA-40 guy to me throws really well...

I am aiming this at Simon because he is being dishonest just to see.a bigger number on his bank account. Everyone is just snakes in the end when it comes to economics.
I think when presented with 7 digits + some most people would say disingenuous things. It's inevitable.

I don't know why they can't just be honest and say it in plain English that this disc has a wide rim and stability to handle high power throws, if you max out at 300 you will never see the potential of this disc except for utility shots.

It's not like they would sell any less of them. Think about the average disc golfer, most who have a couple years under their belt never touch 400 yet the destroyer is still one of the best selling discs.

If someone has played a few years and sampled Destroyer/DD3 type discs, they should know whether or not they have the arm speed to throw them. I'm not even tempted, Wraiths and Graces are plenty of disc for me. If you throw 300' and still think you need a Time Lapse, good for you and Simon.

Simon is awesome, I supported him with my Lizottle purchases.

I'm not sure what they are thinking either about the time lapse and trying to sell 12 speeds to "everyone" maybe they just forget what it's like to be stuck at 300'. Maybe it turns more than the -1 indicates, like if it flips over like an octane or catalyst on a steep anhyzer angle but could actually fight back out.

That said, I'm not touching it. I might grab a wave se though, I thought that was a cool mold choice that should appeal to every level of player. I like the art Michael Ramanauskas did with the trees blowing out of the way.

I got a tempo in the mail, I was talking to the guy, turns out he was introduced to disc golf last year over here by one of my friends. It's a small small world.

4 months playing, and only 225' regular max - 245' very rare with a light weight Tern when I get a miracle throw. I really only purposely bought a few discs that I can't throw - that dump hard left. They are not just high speed, but also heavy (170-175g). I still can't get much out of heavy Sapphire, Saint, Undertaker, Ballista, and even borderline on River. That said, I expect to grow into most of those. My son throws the Ballista about 280' and decently straight. I have found a Destroyer and a Venom with no ink, and the Destroyer dumps hard left, and I haven't even tried throwing the Venom. I also got Innova F2 Freebies - a Destroyer, Dominator, and a Wraith coming now, that I won't even try to throw - but I ordered discs I can throw, and just got the free discs as a bonus to help offset the $6 cost of shipping. At some point my son may try some of them, or I may try to sell or trade them. They are upgraded plastic F2s, so $9-15 to buy new. But, two points - first, the fast ones I purposely bought were recommended to help beginners get more distance, and the issue is the weight. Now I know, anything higher speed, I need a light weight to be able to throw them! I throw light weight (137-150g) Terns, Fission Wave, Mambas - and I can throw them longer than my Lat 64 Diamonds, and they don't dump hard left on me. Leads me to, why do so many of you say avoid higher speeds discs, but very rarely say 'get a lighter weight'? Yes, I need to work on form - I know that, and do it at a practice field regularly. But, when I play, I love the added distance the light weight, high speed discs get me! Bonus - they are fun to throw, too! I just don't use them in heavy wind (though I would love to try them in heavy wind blowing with me).

. Leads me to, why do so many of you say avoid higher speeds discs, but very rarely say 'get a lighter weight'? Yes, I need to work on form - I know that, and do it at a practice field regularly. But, when I play, I love the added distance the light weight, high speed discs get me! Bonus - they are fun to throw, too! I just don't use them in heavy wind (though I would love to try them in heavy wind blowing with me).
Well... there is something to be said about wind play... however having a heavy disc generally helps more than the stability. High speed discs generally teach you bad habits but can also help you achieve more spin. It all comes down to the smooth is far. Once you have proper motion turfing a putter 200'+ is easy. It pains me to see people throw a 9 speed on a 150' hole without ever trying a putter. You can probably read back on my stuff from 10yrs ago and see how long it took me to come to grips with this 😄

That said if I was setting up a noob with a bag of MVP I would still encourage a disc to grow into.

Pick a putter based on hand feel... if it works then
Electron envy 170g and a glitch
Uplink and a reactor or Hex if you didn't like the envy..
Relay or my pref Rhythm (155 fission and 170 neutron) BH. A crave for FH'ers. Anyhow same mold but one light one heavy.

Then some random high speed driver in the 150's. The wave comes to mind for bh dominant players or something like a 155 fission octane or 150 motion for fh/oh. Something to grow into and use in the wind. They are going to buy one anyhow haha.

As long as you know what you should be trying to achieve (slower speed discs going further) it doesn't hurt to dabble to practice getting extra snap before you have the accuracy and flow to throw real lines. Just knowing you have the right discs and it's your fault they don't work is a great starting point.

I have over 70 discs already. Buying them is addictive - I think kind of like women buying shoes! Innova F2 Friday deals are irresistible to me, even though I know I don't need more discs! I know my form/technique needs work, and I keep studying and practicing - trying to get better. I guess my form is terrible, to the point I can't really throw putters and mids with a power grip at all - only with a fan grip. I thought maybe my small hands was the issue there, but beginning to think that is unlikely - was just an easy excuse. I will keep working on it. I like playing, and I am improving, and sooner or later I will figure it out! Pretty sure my form is not letting my body turn into disc speed, and I probably have a lot of OAT - not smooth enough. I have video on my phone now - might see if I can figure out the technology side of getting it onto this site for help.

Well... there is something to be said about wind play... however having a heavy disc generally helps more than the stability. High speed discs generally teach you bad habits but can also help you achieve more spin. It all comes down to the smooth is far. Once you have proper motion turfing a putter 200'+ is easy. It pains me to see people throw a 9 speed on a 150' hole without ever trying a putter. You can probably read back on my stuff from 10yrs ago and see how long it took me to come to grips with this 😄

That said if I was setting up a noob with a bag of MVP I would still encourage a disc to grow into.

Pick a putter based on hand feel... if it works then
Electron envy 170g and a glitch
Uplink and a reactor or Hex if you didn't like the envy..
Relay or my pref Rhythm (155 fission and 170 neutron) BH. A crave for FH'ers. Anyhow same mold but one light one heavy.

Then some random high speed driver in the 150's. The wave comes to mind for bh dominant players or something like a 155 fission octane or 150 motion for fh/oh. Something to grow into and use in the wind. They are going to buy one anyhow haha.

As long as you know what you should be trying to achieve (slower speed discs going further) it doesn't hurt to dabble to practice getting extra snap before you have the accuracy and flow to throw real lines. Just knowing you have the right discs and it's your fault they don't work is a great starting point.
Since this is MVP thread, I have a 148g and a brand new 149g Fission Wave (about to throw it for first time today). Also have a Spin that I like okay, and an Atom, but I think I like my new Fierce (not MVP - lol) even better - may become my putter of choice - I already ordered a second one so it gets double slots in practice. I have been putting primarily with two Soft Magnets until now, but practice with a ton of putters searching for a favorite. Also have a Watt, which is my longest flying fan grip putter for approach shots. I have to figure out the actual distance, but pretty sure I get up to 100', maybe even a little more, and when I played yesterday I parked about 3 out of 4 long approaches with it, that I can't reach with any of my other putters (fan grip). I had a few decent power grip shots with it in practice - about 180', but then the next time I did field work, I couldn't throw a decent power grip with it. Ugh. I do like MVP stuff - but definitely not exclusive to it. Open to playing with whatever seems to work best for me in practice. My longest disc right now is a light weight Innova Tern, and it is fun to throw.

Last edited:
Is this the appropriate place to jump in and share how I've fallen in love with a new-to-me mold from Streamline? Got ahold of a 168 Neutron Jet and it's just perfect for me. It flips up and glides flat a long way for my physical state of being (just turned 50, hanging in there with the best MA-50 guys most of the time, RHBH off the tee has always been my big bugaboo). I'll add a little more hyzer in a moderate or less headwind and it still behaves well. I've gotten in the habit of pulling it out of my bag and stating, "Once you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way!"

Nothing against Sharks, especially the 20+year-old Champion one a nearby MA-40 guy to me throws really well...
Did a little reading - sounds like a really fun disc to throw. But, lightest weight seems to be 165g. To throw that 11/5/-3/2, experience tells me I would need to be down at 150g max. How far do you throw? I max at 245', but very rare for me, and that only with a fast, light weight Tern (update, still rare for me, but my 147g Mamba starting to reach 225-245', too). Most often I max at 225', though. Maybe they make a lighter Jet in the future, or I wait until I start getting snap to buy one…

Last edited:
What are MVP's 'slower Volts'? The Servo and Reactor have some turn, and Resistor/Pyro are pretty meaty. Anything at 5-7 speed fit a true X,X,0,2 flight?

What are MVP's 'slower Volts'? The Servo and Reactor have some turn, and Resistor/Pyro are pretty meaty. Anything at 5-7 speed fit a true X,X,0,2 flight?
I have one meaty and one neutral Resistor. Gotta run the racks but if you can find under 170 with a little dome, that'll have potential. Eclipse Reactors might also fit the bill.

Latest posts