• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Now that's a pro call-out

I would place a Marshall on the top 2 cards and have 2 roving about the field

I see zero reason this is not a practical solution for a tiers and NTs if a club cannot provide 4 people to do this do they deserve to call their event an a- tier?

The point isn't that it's possible to do, it's that you're refusing to consider the competitive balance issues. I would love to see a marshall with every card (or on every hole) in a major tournament, but having them on certain cards isn't a good solution IMO.

Because the camera and gallery don't dictate rules enforcement, a full time marshall only with one card would.

My point was pressure

So your solution is to just trust the players to do the right thing

I think my idea at least begins to address the issue for higher level events

I don't expect it at c tiers although I think the td should at least follow the lead card for those as well. But I'm mostly talking about the big cash so called serious events. These need more governing

You ignored my post again. I said it would be awesome to have enough officials to have one with every open division card. I don't like your particular solution, that doesn't mean I don't think there's a place for improved rule enforcement.

I would support something like stationing a few officials at holes where there are often rules questions or spots where they could move between a few different holes. Then all players are getting the same level of pressure and enforcement, just perhaps not throughout the entire course.

I was shocked during a local NT that there essentially was no Marshall outside of a few oob holes

IMO when a club is told to add $ it's just as important to provide qualified Marshall's either volunteers or paid

I don't see the issue I mean the PGA has their own tv viewers calling infractions

I bring that up because as u noted only the top guys are on tv and thus subject to being called on violations

Yup, I brought that up as a negative example. I think that's a poor thing to emulate, where only certain players are subject to increased rules enforcement. If you're going to do it (and I think it's worth doing) it needs to be consistent at least across the top division.

Yup, I brought that up as a negative example. I think that's a poor thing to emulate, where only certain players are subject to increased rules enforcement. If you're going to do it (and I think it's worth doing) it needs to be consistent at least across the top division.

I can live with a few roving Marshall's in the open division and maybe 1 moving about the rest of the field.

There are places on most courses where an official can watch more than 1 hole and just the idea of a fine or penalty might creep into a players mind for misbehavior

I was shocked during a local NT that there essentially was no Marshall outside of a few oob holes

IMO when a club is told to add $ it's just as important to provide qualified Marshall's either volunteers or paid

I don't see the issue I mean the PGA has their own tv viewers calling infractions

I bring that up because as u noted only the top guys are on tv and thus subject to being called on violations

There's a new rule that does not allow that any more. The reason they gave is it's unfair to the few players who are always on TV while most of the field is not.

The solution is to put a Marshall on every card that has a Prodigy player on it.

To put this sport into perspective, the NBA oversees NBA basketball events, the NFL oversees NFL football events, the MLB oversees MLB baseball events, etc., and the PDGA oversees PDGA evnets. These overseeing entities in some manner control player behaviors in their "sactioned" events they have a lot of influence on the culture of the event at hand. In basketball, there are a lot of rules that are enforced and called, travel is a normal call, technical fouls are called all the time and this comes with a financial penalty, a foul is nothing special, the same goes for the NFL and MLB. The PDGA oversees PDGA events and they need to work on controlling their events better when it comes to their different sactioned events, like maybe 5 officiators are required for a B tier, and maybe 8 to 10 for an A tier or whatever, maybe Nikko should be called for a technical and he would pay a minimal fine and that might change his behavior. I don't know the answer to making this sport more lucrative, but if the overseeing body does have a lot to do with it. Blame Nikko, blame anyone, but in the end some of the blame is with the PDGA, maybe not all is within their control. They might respond with legitimate reasons why the sport is the way it is. The PDGA board might say that making it a more professional sport is just not feasable, it costs to much to have rules enforced because there isn't enough money in the sport to pay for officiators. At the same time I think if this sport is going professional, the PDGA has to control their events which would mean doing their bestto controlplayers behaviors in their PDGA events and maybe Barsby has great points on what rules need to be changed, but has he considered that might not be financially feasable to entertain everything that he wants? Does he think about the money aspect of what he proposes? He does say that to be a professional dger is already a cash strapping deal, is Barsby willing to pay more to make this a professional sport (the fees would increase to pay for officators)? I don't know the answer, but very serious professional events deal with some serious money and take their refing very serious and it isn't about who your like and dislike...rules are rules.

My guess is that if the PDGA is going to take this sport to the next level, maybe they have to have PDGA events that have high entry fees to pay for real officiators who will call Nikko or anyother player on anything like a foot fault or any rules for that matter. The PDGA has some contorl over the culture of their events, and most PDGA events that I have been in, all do drugs and drink...very very family oriented and very professional (being faceious). My guess is that most of the dgers don't want a change in the culture...inexpensive and lets drink and do drugs and that is what is important...fun fun fun...it isn't a serious sport, fun is the word of the day, not seriousness. Fun is great, but for the professional seriousness and professionalism are very important.

Maybe the solution to making this a professoinal sport is increasing costs to play PDGA events, pay for refs which would pay for more enforced rules and in the end you are paying more for professionalism. Rules lead the way, enforcement is key to success. If this sport is going to get serious, rules and enforcement lead the way and if enforced propery have an effect on the players, they make the sport more professional by imposing rules without any bias. Michael Jordan has been called for fouls in his time, getting called for a foot fault shouldn't be anything special, it should be normal to get called here and there. In boxing the ref does his best to keep the game civil and under control.

While I agree on a lot of your points and opinions, I can see this backfiring. I question playing certain tourneys or the amount of tourneys I play due to the cost of it. I know and hear about unsanctioned tourneys that pay out better and don't necessarily cost as much. If PDGA raises entrance fees, I could see a dropoff in attendance when other options are available.

Jonah Hill/Channing Tatum joint. Pretty blah and predictable. I don't even remember a disc golf scene...shows how into that movie I was.

Beginning of the movie, it's Lafreniere park in Metarie (New Orleans), LA. I believe it's by hole...12?

Anyway the scene is that they're park security, and they're fishing someone's disc out of the drink.

I didn't think the movie was that bad. It wasn't a cinematic masterpiece by any stretch, but a fun comedy that showed me Channing Tatum actually has some decent comedic timing.

I also probably give movies .5 more stars if they're filmed in Louisiana though...so yeah...This is the end got more love from me too.

Likely that 25%+ of people who recognize a DG basket as such know it from 21 Jumpstreet.

Or in my day, from an episode of MTV Extreme Sports with Dan Cortese!

Or what was that Anthony Michael Hall show where he's all growed up now and he wants to take a chick Disco Golfing and he's about to reach a GrandMaster level? Maybe I'm mixing a couple shows there.

I would imagine marshalls would be volunteers, just like anybody else at the tournament. Make them pass the rules exam just like the TD. I see this mainly as an impartial person who could second a call instead of relying on another from the group. I still like the idea of the players enforcing their own rules, but if its suspected that players are intentionally not calling stance violations on each other then something needs to be done.

I really don't like the idea of certain cards getting a marshall, and roaming marshalls are going to miss instances where they are needed. Say if you make it mandatory at a tiers or nts then you're also requiring the hosting club to drum up more help for the event. Its a good idea on paper, but in reality I don't think it would go over that well.

Latest posts