• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

So I was able to throw these at my local pitch and putt yesterday. They won't replace my pa2's. They just don't have the distance in them. I actually really liked them for putting, though not for upshots. It really reminded me of a buzzz os in putter form.

From just the little while I was outside throwing my scale I fell in love. Very comfortable in the hand no grip issues, flew just like I was praying for. Handled the slight headwind in my back yard perfect. It flew like my rancho roc powered down just so much more comfortable in the hand. This is just a small review from throwing in my back yard 200 ft.. I will continue to throw off and on outside today and will report back again, can't wait to take it to local course and try it out

I got my first round in today with a Tarpit Scale...loved it. The wind was very gusty and I was very confident throwing this. I throw my 1x Champ Roc3 300' This had a similar flight path for me and landed 240-245....and stuck. The shallow thumbtrack is very comfortable. I never once wished I had my PA1 or PA3 in the bag. I also bought this in the Fossil plastic - have only thrown it in the backyard. It is very stiff and I expect would make a great driving putter. The other disc in their lineup which got the most play today was a Serpent. Great straight flyer with just a little fade at the end. Like the Scale, it is very comfortable in my hand which led to confident releases.

One of the local club guys is in St. Louis and swung by the Gateway warehouse to stock up on Wizards for himself and others. I had him pick up a pair of Fossil Scales and a pair of Armor Scales. I love my Armor Scale but it's a brownish orange color that really blends in around these parts. I was super happy when he sent me this picture:

11005539_1541960206093117_1892254196_n.jpg

That white Armor is sick! I'm thinking of flag dying that bad boy, but the stamp looks awesome as well!

Should be getting my 2 Fossils and 2 Armors from my connect on Saturday at a tournament. Also have a Tar Pit and Fossil in the mail. I'm thinking of passing the love on by adding these to to ace pot or as prizes for our weekly tags. Already gave away a Serp to our Juniors winner last week, so maybe it's time to spread the Scale love.

Got my armor scale in the mail today- unfortunately too snowy and cold to throw it. Quite a huge dome on this one compared to the fossil plastic- is that normal for the plastic type??

Attachments

• DSmpOfO.jpg
    DSmpOfO.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 141
Got my armor scale in the mail today- unfortunately too snowy and cold to throw it. Quite a huge dome on this one compared to the fossil plastic- is that normal for the plastic type??

We didn't know what was normal for the mold. We only made about 20 of these. Typically I would have ground these up bc I don't really want the Scale to have dome issues like Rhynos but this blend was dangerously nice feeling and performing. Some off he most buttery feeling urethane I've felt come out of a gateway machine. I would say going forward however to not expect to see this plastic as a staple for us. While these fly like Scales, they don't feel or look how I want the full production runs to go.

Damn, doesn't even look like the same mold...

The Armor did shrink up a ton. The diameter is noticeably different.
That said, they fly really nicely. Now it'll be up to Dave to develop a premium polymer mix that will stay flat like our other runs. :popcorn:

The armor plastic does feel fantastic- like a combination of trilogy's premiums- grippy but noticably durable- the dome isn't bad- just different- and if that wasnt the intention, do i now have a rare domey version that wasn't supposed to exist?

Last edited:
My armor scale has just a hint of a dome compared to my fossil version but much less of a dome than yours.

Disclaimer: This statement is not a judgement of your dome or a challenge to the rarity of your dome. :D

The armor plastic does feel fantastic- like a combination of trilogy's premiums- grippy but noticably durable- the dome isn't bad- just different- and if that wasnt the intention, do i now have a rare domey version that wasn't supposed to exist?

I would say in the future the Domey Scale will be a rarity. If it happens again I just won't sell them. I was very leery of even letting these loose but that plastic was just so strong and their flights are so nice that I figured it couldn't be bad to get some testing done with them.

All that said, I hope we can dial in a blend similar to our orange Armors that were both flat and durable. But time will tell on that matter. Dave has never had a high priority in developing premium blends. My suggestion for anyone wanting a more durable Scale at this time is to check out the softer plastics. While Fossil feels incredible, it was developed to season up consistently. I've found that the softer the Scale, the more aggressive the fade. It's odd because that is typically opposite of most Gateway putters but I swear that my beat to heck RFF Scale is still reliable on a forced OAT anny in a headwind.

My Armor Scale is honestly pretty darn flat! I have one of the Orange/ Oklahoma Red Dirt colored ones. Does everyone with an Orange have a pretty flat dome? After throwing the Armor Version for a bit, I wish I had a stiff version, as I don't have full confidence in floppier discs.

My S Wiz is basically PFN KC Pro. Very stiff with very slight give in flight plate. I found myself gravitating toward stiffer plastic in the middle of last year. At first because I was getting more snap, and firmer versions of discs seem to fly more HSS, but now It's just a trust thing.

With what I have in my Wiz, I will probably just try and grab a Fossil Scale once I finally have consistent income. My Aero honestly feels like an 11x KC Aero as well, for what that's worth. Stiff/ firm white base plastic is where it's at. :)

My Armor Scale is honestly pretty darn flat! I have one of the Orange/ Oklahoma Red Dirt colored ones. Does everyone with an Orange have a pretty flat dome? After throwing the Armor Version for a bit, I wish I had a stiff version, as I don't have full confidence in floppier discs.

My S Wiz is basically PFN KC Pro. Very stiff with very slight give in flight plate. I found myself gravitating toward stiffer plastic in the middle of last year. At first because I was getting more snap, and firmer versions of discs seem to fly more HSS, but now It's just a trust thing.

With what I have in my Wiz, I will probably just try and grab a Fossil Scale once I finally have consistent income. My Aero honestly feels like an 11x KC Aero as well, for what that's worth. Stiff/ firm white base plastic is where it's at. :)

Yeah the Fossil Scale & Serp combo will become your best friend :D

The Orange Fossils molded up flat but a little too gummy for my taste as well. I still bag it for really OS shots or shots that are likely to result in a tree smash.

Yeah the Fossil Scale & Serp combo will become your best friend :D

The Orange Fossils molded up flat but a little too gummy for my taste as well. I still bag it for really OS shots or shots that are likely to result in a tree smash.

It absorbs impact from FH rollers really well. I have shaped some INSANE lines due to the OStability of this disc. Rolls a MILE.

Yeah LOVE how Armor feels. Equal to Legend plastic in how much I like fondling it imo. Great grip. Even in below freezing temps was it grippy.

Pretty Off Topic: Jamie, what GW blend of plastic is the closest to Fossil? I have heard Dog Toy is what I would need to pick up. Any insight? I am down to one putter due to taking the Touch out of my bag, as my putting has suffered since putting it in. So it's panic time! Haha.

It absorbs impact from FH rollers really well. I have shaped some INSANE lines due to the OStability of this disc. Rolls a MILE.

Yeah LOVE how Armor feels. Equal to Legend plastic in how much I like fondling it imo. Great grip. Even in below freezing temps was it grippy.

Pretty Off Topic: Jamie, what GW blend of plastic is the closest to Fossil? I have heard Dog Toy is what I would need to pick up. Any insight? I am down to one putter due to taking the Touch out of my bag, as my putting has suffered since putting it in. So it's panic time! Haha.

Fossil is like a mix between Medium and Dog Toy. This latest batch of Fossil Serps is ridiculously nice. Almost G9i stiff but has a velvety surface.

The Fossil Scales have all been stiff, super flat and slightly slick. They develop a great velvety complexion quickly though.

Latest posts