• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

If you look at the discs in his sig it sounds like he is the torque monkey from hell.

Ehh I'll give the benefit of the doubt bc some of the Tar Pits did get a little wavy topped. From my experience though it had no effect on flight but I don't want anyone out there thinking that the Scale isn't as OS as billed.

The Scale is easily as OS as any Rhyno that I've thrown and we want to keep it that way!

If you look at the discs in his sig it sounds like he is the torque monkey from hell.

I mean, I wasn't going to say anything...

Look at me. I'm easy to find on YouTube. I torque pretty much everything, at least a little bit, and I've never had a Scale (and I have many) that wasn't more OS than a Rhyno. I've certainly never been able to hyzer one to flat.

So if I'm not doing it, I would have to say it's probably a fluke disc, not the user.

I throw forehand, yes with torque but very little of it is off axis.

Wasn't throwing this one FH though, and ones in my sig I use for BH are the Hu, Stag, Yao and Touch which aren't exactly OS.

And I'm not knocking the disc, just thought it would dump when it faded instead of the gradual looping fade I'm getting.

Your definition of OS may be a just a little bit different (than the rest of us). You bag a Stilletto, Ape and Firebird. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but you may throw differently. Or, it may have been a fluke...

My Armor Scale can get squirelly if I throw it poorly for sure, but every clean throw myself or others have made was absolutely LOCKED on to the intital angle of release.

If anything I feel floppy plastic when yanked on will flex and cause unneeded flutter. Maybe try a Fossil Scale? Otherwise you are just not throwing it cleanly.

Fossil Scale came through many times for me today at tags. We played at the same course from my last video, so I threw the Scale a lot. I was only 5 down (which isn't great for that course...tied for 4th) but all but one of my birdies were from using the Scale off the tee. I'm partial to my Armors, but I think Fossil is the best rendition of the Scale.

I also got my first chunk out of a Fossil Scale! It's small, but I hit either the pole or the cage (couldn't see from the tee) on a 220 foot hole. Scale still flies nice and OS...really didn't change the flight path at all.

Got three Scales on the way -- two Fossil, one Armor. Reading this thread has me very excited to try them out.

Got three Scales on the way -- two Fossil, one Armor. Reading this thread has me very excited to try them out.

You should be. It's a great disc. It's my favorite release since the Envy...I love putters (as you can tell from my sig) and the Scale just rocks the house.

If you have any short holes on the courses you play, like I do, you're going to love the Scale straight away.

Have you noticed much of a correlation between weight and stability for Scales? The Fossils I got are 175, and the Armor is only 160.

Have you noticed much of a correlation between weight and stability for Scales? The Fossils I got are 175, and the Armor is only 160.

True Stoy: I once threw a 125g Fossil Scale that hyzered out on me...

Morale of the story is that, while weight will always play a factor in stability, the Scale has a ton of inherent stability to the mold regardless of weight. Those lighter weight Armors are some of the best we've produced. Great feel and just a little more added workability due to the weight.

What is everyone's stance on a premium Scale?
We've done two tiny proto batches of Armor plastic and one came out flat and the other domey.

We are about to start running another production run of Scales and I just want to gauge the interest of premium plastic putters? I know I do use my Armor Scale bc I want it to remain glideless and OS for a long period of time. Others, however, seem to prefer base plastics like Fossil to season in to different stages of wear.

I just started throwing my domey white Armor Scale. It's significantly more overstable than the Fossil or Tar Pit scales were. I can only throw it 230 or so; it's almost as overstable as the S Demons I used to throw a long time ago. I like it, and I'm assuming it will stay this way for a while.

I put it in the bag because the Fossil was starting to straighten out a little more than I wanted on full throws. I still really like the fossil for jump putts or headwind putts, and I'm rotating them depending on conditions/mood. The true test will be in the summer, when sweaty hands become an issue. I have struggled with grip on premium plastic putters in the past because of this.

I just started throwing my domey white Armor Scale. It's significantly more overstable than the Fossil or Tar Pit scales were. I can only throw it 230 or so; it's almost as overstable as the S Demons I used to throw a long time ago. I like it, and I'm assuming it will stay this way for a while.

I put it in the bag because the Fossil was starting to straighten out a little more than I wanted on full throws. I still really like the fossil for jump putts or headwind putts, and I'm rotating them depending on conditions/mood. The true test will be in the summer, when sweaty hands become an issue. I have struggled with grip on premium plastic putters in the past because of this.

Those domey whites, while not what we want in terms of profile, feel and fly exceptionally well. Beeeeeeeefy shots with fantastic grip.

Those domey whites, while not what we want in terms of profile, feel and fly exceptionally well. Beeeeeeeefy shots with fantastic grip.

I really like it. I had an old glow E wizard in the bag for a long time that felt very similar, and this flies how I wished it would. Believe it or not, I actually like a little bit of dome on this mold for full-power throws. For some reason I feel like I've got a stronger grip on it. I am also just about 100% sure that I am in the minority on this, so don't run out and make a bunch of domey scales.

I really like it. I had an old glow E wizard in the bag for a long time that felt very similar, and this flies how I wished it would. Believe it or not, I actually like a little bit of dome on this mold for full-power throws. For some reason I feel like I've got a stronger grip on it. I am also just about 100% sure that I am in the minority on this, so don't run out and make a bunch of domey scales.

We have about 20 or blanks at the shop left of those Whites. We will stamp some of them up shortly.

About to roll out two new stamps ;)

Attachments

• JG.jpg
    JG.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Classy.jpg
    Classy.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 40
Those stamps are awesome!

I really don't care for premium plastic putters at all, never have. If I did get one it would probably collect dust as I have 2 unthrown Fossils waiting to earn bag space. The fossils are enough beef for me, even after they get some wear in them.

Though honestly whatever plastic you run those Malcolm stamps in I'm pretty much guaranteed to buy one, maybe for a wall hanger. It would look awesome next to my teerex head.

Haha, I love the stamps.

Also if you do some more crazy OS Armor let me know!

I don't think I would buy a premium plastic Scale. I prefer to cycle OS putters like this (Scales may eventually replace my Pig cycle). However, I would consider a premium plastic Serpent if it still came out flat. I use the Serpent strictly for driving/upshot duties and it already starts out very straight so premium plastic would keep it where I want it longer.

Latest posts