Discmania Spore

wolfhaley

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Discmania Glitch it seems?

Just noticed this on Infinite a minute ago. Flight numbers 1/7/0/1.

I haven't thrown a Glitch yet, but the spore I have is not stable. I mean, maybe I'm not supposed to throw full power on these types of disc, but that's what I was hoping it could handle.

I threw a buddies spore around. The plastic his was molded in was some kind of soft goo plastic that reminded me of a rubber cake spatula I bought my wife that got soft after going through the dishwasher.

It was more stable than the glitches I have thrown and did not stand up much on higher power throws and would hold a hyzer nicely and it would softly splat wherever it hit the ground.

I don't know what the disc golf application is for discs like this but it's probably cool as a catch disc.

I haven't thrown a Glitch yet, but the spore I have is not stable. I mean, maybe I'm not supposed to throw full power on these types of disc, but that's what I was hoping it could handle.
They can handle a lot of power, just not without being completely smooth. Colten was throwing these well past 300 with ease and not a ton of hyzer. Same for the glitch, they handle a surprising amount of power.

I picked up a spore as my players pack disc at a fundraiser near the factory this weekend. I am guessing it's technically lux plastic? Like neo but quite a bit firmer than the stock neo soft spores. I only tossed it a couple times walking it back to the car. If the glitch is a neutral 0-0 disc the spore is probably a 0, 1. I could see the spore being a bit touchier than the glitch at high speed, but I haven't ripped into it yet. I will toss it a bit more next time I am out. I love these kinds of discs, but I tend to have better results in round throwing either a beat wizard or a polecat.

Last edited:
They can handle a lot of power, just not without being completely smooth. Colten was throwing these well past 300 with ease and not a ton of hyzer. Same for the glitch, they handle a surprising amount of power.

I am thinking some 1 disc rounds with this will do me some good then. Maybe cleanup my form a little more.

I understand why Discmania made the Spore. It's a fun disc, light, easy, popular. It just isn't a disc I need. Maybe if it was base plastic I could try it for really long putts. I'd rather see a 1, 1, 0, 1 kind of disc. Glide = unpredictability for me.

This one looks fun, The Discmania Lux Vapor Spore

evlvspordgpt.jpg

I am thinking some 1 disc rounds with this will do me some good then. Maybe cleanup my form a little more.

Putter or Glitch/Superclass rounds are my go to tune up. They work wonders unless your struggle is with nose angles specifically.

I understand why Discmania made the Spore. It's a fun disc, light, easy, popular. It just isn't a disc I need. Maybe if it was base plastic I could try it for really long putts. I'd rather see a 1, 1, 0, 1 kind of disc. Glide = unpredictability for me.

I agree. Its not often that a glidey approach disc, especially a light (wind susceptible) one, is the best shot. Even for soft runs at the chains.

Its too bad that the Whitler came out over a decade ago, they tried to kick off the dea of premium plastic smaller golf/catch hybrid disc. The Whitler was one of the most indestructible discs. I would spin full power 360s at brick walls to show em off. Once I had one crease a little bit (still have it somewhere) but generally they just bounced off and made a spring sound. Still think that hardly anyone would be throwing whitlers if they were available now, they feel like mini ultra stars and fly much slower than a glitch or spore. They came out just before pdga let us all know about the new tier of event for superclass (and the separate rating!), which was too bad because much like the gateway "big dog" they came in just under the minimum diameter for play. . . Man, I wish superclass events took off. The concept was sweet.

Back to the spore... (I still haven't thrown mine more so no new info)

Threw it around a bit both in the back yard and course yesterday. For glitch comparison I am finding that despite the spore being more stable it is also more sensitive to poor releases when powered up. I was not getting as clean of throws as I do the glitch possibly due to the depth. It is consistently shorter than the glitch as well.
On slower shots I am not having any trouble throwing it clean and it is proving more versatile than the glitch using that fade to pull out of touch annys and land flatter. I am not having the same issue I have with the glitch "locking in" on the line IE: an accidental slight hyzer when you are trying to throw flat? The glitch is going to hold that hyzer and miss left. This is especially apparent trying to spin putt the glitch.
Still very preliminary as far as testing goes, but I think the Spore may have a more useful golf purpose for me than the Glitch, though I imagine neither will become staples.

Some friends and I threw the Spore around this weekend at a tournament we were watching. We threw both the stock version and the mystery box vapor plastic version. Definitely a cool disc. We all kinda agreed that it was a slightly better version of a Glitch just because it has a touch of stability that the Glitch lacks. The mystery box version definitely has a touch more stability and stiffness to it. I think if you were actually going to bag one of these, the Vapor plastic version from the mystery box would be the way to go. But if you just want to throw around with your friends for fun, the stock plastic is great.

Never owned a Glitch so when I saw the Spore I figured I'd give it a try to see why these discs are so popular nowadays.

Played a one disc round with it yesterday and I get that it's fun to watch it float in the air on a rope. It actually handled all the power I could give it no problem, maybe 280' or so without any flip up so it's stable if you throw it clean. I just don't see any reason to bag one unless you just wanna have some fun or show off to your friends.

I have traditional putters that fly that same straight line without a fade, but can throw them on lower lines and with less surprises in the wind.

Never owned a Glitch so when I saw the Spore I figured I'd give it a try to see why these discs are so popular nowadays.

Played a one disc round with it yesterday and I get that it's fun to watch it float in the air on a rope. It actually handled all the power I could give it no problem, maybe 280' or so without any flip up so it's stable if you throw it clean. I just don't see any reason to bag one unless you just wanna have some fun or show off to your friends.

I have traditional putters that fly that same straight line without a fade, but can throw them on lower lines and with less surprises in the wind.
It's not the full power stuff that these modern Lids really shine on, it's the super easy and floaty 80-150' stuff. Basically you can just gently throw them and they go quite far with little effort, and for me that makes them easy to range and also they double as a great C2+ putter.

It's not the full power stuff that these modern Lids really shine on, it's the super easy and floaty 80-150' stuff. Basically you can just gently throw them and they go quite far with little effort, and for me that makes them easy to range and also they double as a great C2+ putter.
Of course if that works for one, then great. Personally, I think that range is already better covered by jump puts, *glideless* putters and flicks, which give you way more consistent results if you have those shots in your bag.

I guess my biggest issue with it is the weight, because 1) it's more sensitive to wind and 2) the feel of the throw is just so different.

Btw, do the MVP pros actually throw the Glitch on meaningfull tournaments or are they more for social media ace runs? At least none of the DM pros seemed to be too impressed by the Spore for competitive play.

EDIT: I mentioned the power just to higlight that the disc has all the stability you need and it's not an ultimate frisbee or anything. More like a fat light weight putter.

The glide surprised the hell out of me. You really don't have to give them much to get them going far. I use mine for upshots where I need the disc to die quickly (sort of like a Berg). The first few upshots went well past the target with very little effort. They also take tree kicks extremely well. I was using my Spore at a local, wooded pitch-and-putt and soft tree hits didn't really disrupt the flight too much. The soft Neo plastic doesn't always release cleanly for my baby hands, though. Throwing my buddy's Lux Spore is a bit easier. I'm going to pick up one of the PG/DGPT ones to play with