• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I really can't disagree with this, but can't help but wonder if Prodigy has the money to retain all that young talent.

I have a hard time thinking move nearly as much plastic as Dynamic, Latitude, MVP, let alone Discraft or Innova. I never see anybody throwing Prodigy around here.

That said, I realize some brands tend to be more popular in certain States or regions, and I'm in Discraft/Mvp country.

Does anybody see Prodigy being more popular than even one other big name brand in their area?

In GA/TN there is a lot of Prodigy being thrown and they are selling a whole lot of baskets since people can pick them up and save a couple hundred bucks shipping.

TDs use them a ton as well, I've gotten 40 discs this year in players packs or prizes, 29 have been from Prodigy.

Here is the breakdown if anyone is interested.

29 prodigy
6 DD
2 Westside
1 Axiom
1 Discraft
1 Innova

Prodigy accounts for maybe 3-5% of the discs people play in my area (northern upper michigan).

Discraft, Innova, MVP, Dyanamic Discs, Westside, Lat64, Discmania probably account for +90% of plastic in my area with Kastaplast, Mint, Prodigy filling the remaining 10%.

In my area I see zero Prodigy in caual bags, unless it's an all prodigy bag (one guy). All or nothin. Heavy DD, Innova and Discraft with MVP on the rise. I'm an oddball with Discmania.

On the FPO, you really don't need more than Kristen. She'll keep your brand front and center.

But who's their biggest name in MPO?

Emerson Keith (the Worlds Whisperer)? JohnE McCray (the Ageless Wonder)? Linus Carlsson? Connor O'Reilly? Lauri Lehtinen?
Not really guys we see on a consistent basis on lead cards.

If this is true, I'm already asleep.

He doesn't post a ton but Alden's YouTube channel isn't bad. The videos are all fairly short and it's mostly them joking around on tour…at least it's something a bit different than the generic practice round videos like everybody else.

I agree though, not super exciting but in a few years I think you'll see a few of those guys consistently in the top 10. Obviously Gannon has the highest ceiling out of the bunch.

On the FPO, you really don't need more than Kristen. She'll keep your brand front and center.

But who's their biggest name in MPO?

Tristan Tanner, Emmerson Keith, JohnE Mcray . Albert Tamm and i think Linus Carlsson is highest on Udisc world rankings of their team players . . .but hes "only" on 22nd place.

They have the money to sign a top 10 player. . if they want.

Lat 64 got really "lucky" with Kristen. . they took a chance and it payed of so no reason they wont do the same on the MPO side

Emerson Keith (the Worlds Whisperer)? JohnE McCray (the Ageless Wonder)? Linus Carlsson? Connor O'Reilly? Lauri Lehtinen?
Not really guys we see on a consistent basis on lead cards.
Not many brands consistently on MPO lead cards - Innova/Discraft/Prodigy/DD/Discmania is pretty typical.

Tristan Tanner, Albert Tamm, Jakub Semerád, Kevin Kiefer, Silver Lätt are also recognizable names. Among these I think they've had a number of injuries to US players and limited touring in the US for EU players the past couple years.

Lat64 has a bit more of a balanced EU/US team. They somewhat benefit from Wysocki and Orum throwing Lat64 discs. DD is more US focused and doesn't have many EU sponsored players. Westside is still growing their team a bit.

Not sure what would drive more sales/profit for Lat64 - Sponsor a current lead/chase card MPO player or hope one of their current 1010-1030 players jumps up/improves their game.

Last edited:
As many of the DD players throw Lat 64 disc (Rive is popular) wonder if they get any pay from Lat64 or if that is "free"?

i dont really remember how the Lat 64/DD ownership works. . and Who really in the end pays the pros

Maybe, but there may be some push to keep 'the kids' - Harris, Buhr, Babcock and Robinson - together to represent the hot young players that Prodigy mostly now represents.

They made a ton of lead cards and hit some huge shots, not to mention taking down a couple of big-time events. I kinda can see Prodigy matching any sensible offer another company might make.

Do they have the funds to keep all of their newer, young talent after announcing that huge contract for KJ last year though?

Have to wonder if they're a bit concerned about his drop off, especially after the emergence of Buhr as their top player.

More predictions:

Philo moves from Innova Star Team to All Stars team. Randon Latta moves up from Sponsored Team to Crew team.

Hannum from Prodigy to Discraft. Lykke Lorentzen from Prodigy to Innova.

Brody and Gossage get promotions from Tour Team to Elite Team, bumping down Barham and Fry.

Jakub Semerad Promoted from Lat64 Tour Team to Pro Team.

These are all guesses obviously, but one thing I know will be true, Michael Johansen will be striping fairways with comets.

Do they have the funds to keep all of their newer, young talent after announcing that huge contract for KJ last year though?

Have to wonder if they're a bit concerned about his drop off, especially after the emergence of Buhr as their top player.

As a KJ fan, I was disappointed in 2022. Regardless how he performed relative to his rating, he was definitely on more final round lead and chase cards (i.e. viable chance to win Elite Series events) in 2021 than in 2022.

Hope he has a better 2023 season.

Since I've seen Hannum brought up twice now, I could see him moving to DGA.

I could also see DGA cutting some players as well.

It'll be interesting if konas horrible play results in a reduced contract so they can pay tattar properly.

Tattar gets performance bonuses for winning/podiums and she'll get a signature disc/mold from Lat64 for her Worlds win as well. I'm guessing the duration of her contract also allowed her to obtain a more permanent U.S. visa which she can now compete in the full DGPT schedule.

Panis' contract has the guaranteed $125k per year so no 'reductions' to that number with the current contract. She missed out on the performance bonuses & potential commemorative/signature discs from this past year. I don't see any reason why Panis would accept a lower guaranteed contract.

Past 'handshake' agreement/contracts between brands & players were likely mutual options at the end of every year with a chance to renegotiate. Either party could walk away at the end of the year. Hard to say how these newer multi-year contracts are being structured.

I'm interested to see if Blomroos/Salonen both remain together and with Innova next year. Both had signed 2 year extensions back in Dec 2020.

Tattar gets performance bonuses for winning/podiums and she'll get a signature disc/mold from Lat64 for her Worlds win as well. I'm guessing the duration of her contract also allowed her to obtain a more permanent U.S. visa which she can now compete in the full DGPT schedule.

Panis' contract has the guaranteed $125k per year so no 'reductions' to that number with the current contract. She missed out on the performance bonuses & potential commemorative/signature discs from this past year. I don't see any reason why Panis would accept a lower guaranteed contract.

Past 'handshake' agreement/contracts between brands & players were likely mutual options at the end of every year with a chance to renegotiate. Either party could walk away at the end of the year. Hard to say how these newer multi-year contracts are being structured.

I'm interested to see if Blomroos/Salonen both remain together and with Innova next year. Both had signed 2 year extensions back in Dec 2020.

Pains and Tattar are sponsored by different companies in any case. Intertwined ones to be sure, but ones budget shouldn't relate to the other.

Latest posts