• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Tsunami

Tsunami is OOP.

I live near DGA and talked with one of their employees at St Judes, and he confirmed Tsunami is OOP, he said it would be tweaked to be less overstable and released later on, I got the impression it would be about a year from now, so not sure if the Pipeline is the new tweaked Tsunami or not.

Part of the thinking for taking the Tsunami OOP was the idea it overlapped with the Hellfire, and that is kind of nuts, the Hellfire is not nearly as playable as a Tsunami.

:eek: :thmbdown: :wall:
(^ in honor of World Emoji Day)

Seriously?! Overlap with the Hellfire??!! Give me a break. I don't think I'll ever be able to beat a Hellfire down as straight as my Tsunamis are flying. My 7/10 Proline Hellfire is almost down to a fresh SP Tsunami flight at full speed, but it still has a mean hook up at low speeds.

If this new Pipeline is a 8/10 Proline Tsunami out of the box, maybe I'll get over it, but right now I'm pretty bummed. I guess I need to start stocking up.

I doubting the Tsunami is OOP. Why would DGA create a new stamp for it and be advertising it? It's also on the new disc selection guide.

Sorry threevok. I've been told the same. Maybe if there's enough support then they could be convinced to keep it around?

The dude that helped me at the DGA shop told me they were OOP. They are down to just a couple SPs.

I think if DGA releases anything similar in the future it'll be a new mold, a super beefy SP Flex Pipeline or a glidey-er Glow Hellfire.

That is sad. I have always like the pl tsunami and am surprised they a not more popular.

I've noticed some new SP Tsunamis popping up online (I checked Marshall Street and Infinite). Is this just old inventory or were the OOP rumors wrong?

since DGA just did a give-a-way of glow "Midnight Flyer" Tsunamis on facebook, I'm guessing, just guessing, they are NOT oop

since DGA just did a give-a-way of glow "Midnight Flyer" Tsunamis on facebook, I'm guessing, just guessing, they are NOT oop

They're back! I still can't believe DGA went with the Tsunami for their #5 Midnight Flyer. It flies great, too. It's like a 8.5/10 Proline Tsunami out of the box with a touch less hookup. I've been bagging it for a few months now, and it's kept a straight flight. Thank you DGA!

So I just picked up a couple SP Tsunami's because I recently lost a Z Predator from ~2005 (aka Tsunami). The one I lost was like a long Teebird since it was so beat, and even had a little high speed turn, especially when thrown into a headwind. These new SPs are so much more overstable... that's not too surprising, but they also seem to be flatter and lack that glide that I was hoping for. Any chance that would change? Or should I just go for base plastic or Proline?

So I just picked up a couple SP Tsunami's because I recently lost a Z Predator from ~2005 (aka Tsunami). The one I lost was like a long Teebird since it was so beat, and even had a little high speed turn, especially when thrown into a headwind. These new SPs are so much more overstable... that's not too surprising, but they also seem to be flatter and lack that glide that I was hoping for. Any chance that would change? Or should I just go for base plastic or Proline?

The SP were very overstable. I did not see much difference between a Predator and the SP Tsunami. The disc you're looking for is a Proline Tsunami. They came in different variants from run to run (some more like stiff ESP some more like opaque Z) with various domes, so they fly a bit different from run to run (I also prefer the ones with a bit of dome), but for the most part fly as you describe when beat in. Brand new they fly like a more stubborn and wind resistant PD.

These new SPs are so much more overstable... that's not too surprising, but they also seem to be flatter and lack that glide that I was hoping for. Any chance that would change? Or should I just go for base plastic or Proline?

The SPs do start out pretty beefy. I've found they don't stay that way very long, but they never go as far as PLs. The Glow Tsunami I'm throwing has been money from the first throw. Good glide, straight flight, and long as my PLs. Sun King will ship you one for $18.

The SPs do start out pretty beefy. I've found they don't stay that way very long, but they never go as far as PLs. The Glow Tsunami I'm throwing has been money from the first throw. Good glide, straight flight, and long as my PLs. Sun King will ship you one for $18.

I ended up going to Sun King but then picked up their last Proline instead... How's the dome on the Glow? My SP is relatively flat but I'd like a little dome. Based on the flight you're describing, I'm guessing there's at least a little bit of round on top.

I'd say all the Tsunamis I've had have been more flat than domey, and the Glow Tsunami is no different. That said, I've never had a board flat "FAF" Tsunami either.

PL Tsunamis will be pretty overstable at first, and need a good 50 throws and some tree knocks to really begin to find their sweet spot, so just be patient.

There'll be someone out there who appreciates these:

attachment.php

The dyed SP is exactly what you'd expect: pure beef. It doesn't look quite as "camo" in real life. The orange proline is not quite as beefy, but I can tell it will have plenty of glide as it gets those tree hits. The dyed Pro is the "domey" one I was looking for, and it'll be even glidier I'm sure. Anyways, getting these fellas has me waiting to try a Banzai or Vulture.

Attachments

• 20180419_141208.jpg
    20180419_141208.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 177
My personal favorite windy round fairway......SPs are utterly dependable. My fairway lineup is Hellfire, Tsunami, Vulture, 3x Undertaker, Avenger SS.

I found myself wishing my Champ Thunderbird and Big Z Vulture were just a tad more overstable, and that inspired me to pick up one of those midnight flyers. I think a Tsunami will be back in the bag at least briefly.

I just threw a new Glow Tsunami in my bag after throwing my first one in the lake at Idlewild about 6 months ago. I was beating down a Proline but got impatient. Midnight Flyers are the best. They're pre-seasoned.

Underrated, or at least underthrown mold in my travels. One of the finest windy day fairways. I don't know the details that differ between the Tsunami and the Predator, but the Tsunami has always felt better to me.

Edit-*Looks 3 posts up, yep, still feel the same way a year later* Hellfire and AvSS are out, 2x Vultures in, Tsunami and Undertakers remain.

Last edited:

Latest posts