Leicester, MA
Maple Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #1 (Taken 6/2013)
3 / 265ft.   3 / 355ft.   4 / 670ft.   4 / 785ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #1 White/Blue Tee Sign

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Maple Hill is Marvelous

1    8/1/2018   8/2/2018
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: Maple Hill is what the future of disc golf should be. A private course, manicured to perfection, with extreme attention put into every detail. Until you have played at Maple Hill, you most likely have not experienced anything like it. This course had been on my wishlist for 3 years, just as long as I have been playing. It is the home of some of the first disc golf video I have ever watched, and it is a large reason I took a liking to this sport in the first place. It lives up to my every expectation, and I had a very high bar set.

The first hole is a signature on any course. It starts off with a water carry, then around a rock wall with a guarded green. The water carry is not incredibly intimidating from the blue/white tees, but the gold tees can be terrifying. The water looks smaller in person, but the view is unparalleled, and it is much better to see this in person than a picture or a video.

There are many other signature holes to describe, as I believe most every hole on this course would be a signature hole at even a decent course, it's just that incredible. Most of them you just have to see for yourself. The pine trees, the rock walls, the ponds, the mountains. It's a great experience in the wooded and hilly Massachusetts.

Getting down to the layout, there is so much to be said. The Gold tee to Gold basket is one of the most recognizable layouts in disc golf. It can challenge the top pros at the annual tournament, but from my experience, it is every bit approachable to a player with an average skill level. However, this course is not just the Gold Layout. This course has four, FOUR!, unique layouts, ranging from an all par 3 red tee, and the championship golds. The red tees do not require many, if any, water carries. They are all reachable, and they are kept in just as good of care as the golds. The Whites and Blues are great courses for everyday play, as I'm sure that a local can't play the golds every time. Each layout was perfectly fit, and this course is not just meant for pros, it can be fun for everyone.

Navigation for this course is also well done. Signs pointing to each dedicated color, and paths that are well beaten. There is not a single walk that I felt unnecessarily long.

The new Black Hole Portals caught very well, and I was pleasantly surprised by them, because I have never played on them before. They are visible in the woods, but even if they weren't, the colorful flags atop every basket shows you exactly where to go. The tee signs are incredible as well. Very large, colored to fit the layout, and extremely detailed. The map includes distances, pars, and some added intricacies to make them better than the average.
Cons: Maple Hill is quite possibly the greatest disc golf course on Earth. I have not played every course in existence, and I can't speak for all the other fantastic courses that are sure to exit, but the experience here trumps all my others, hands down. However, every rose has a few thorns, and I am sure they will be trimmed eventually.

The paver tees are fantastic, and they look great too, but the rubber tees for the short tees are not as great. They are better than some rubber tees I have played on, but I think more pavers for all tees would be incredibly beneficial for this course, making it even more suitable for a casual golfer.

The course does not loop back to the parking lot after nine, only after 18. When leaving your car, pack lots of water, snacks, and extra discs for the few that you could lose in the water. I'm not too happy about losing one of my go to putters, but it is what it is. I shouldn't have ran that putt anyways, but you have to during a casual round, for the fear of being called a wimp.

I am not always a fan of a multiple basket course. I don't exactly know why that is, but they are not my favorite. This is executed to almost perfection though, and the other baskets almost never get in the way.
Other Thoughts: I want to write a review that shows that this course is the best that I have played, and a review that shows that this course is worth a trip. It should be common knowledge by now that this course is one of the best, as it is seen all over the place, but it is completely a different, almost surreal, experience in person. If there is a course that should be in everybody's wishlist, Maple Hill has to be one of them.

There are a lot of thoughts that I can describe as other, but the main thought is that this course took my breath away. If there is any other information that you would like to know, let me know, and I will do the best I can to explain to you why you should just make the trip.

Top notch, in every way.

1    4/25/2018   5/25/2018
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Let's get this out of the way: I LOVE Maple Hill. Love it. So much. Almost as much as Elaine.

18 hole course located on a perfect piece of frolfing land. The grounds are immaculate, the feeling is wonderful...I just don't know what else to say about it.

Brand new MVP baskets on every hole. While these aren't my favorite baskets in the world, they did the job just fine. The multiple colored flags on each basket made it easy to discern which basket you were throwing at. Multiple baskets on many holes.

Multiple tees on most hole. Some pavers, some rubber mats. The pavers (which I usually don't like) were kept up very well and we didn't have any issues. Every skill level should be able to find a tee they feel good about throwing from.

No super crazy elevation (depending on your perspective), but plenty of up and down to create some fantastic downhill bombers. There is still more elevation here than most other courses.

Some of the best water shots I've played anywhere. At many courses, water shots are just "throw over this water", and while Maple has some of that, most of the water is punitive of errant shots, not just short shots. There are bail out spots on most, and big risk/reward for being aggressive on others. I'm not usually a fan of multiple water shots on a course, but they're so well done here that I couldn't help but love it. Oh, and hole 1 from blue or gold is probably the coolest opening shot in the 360+ courses I've played.

Tons of New England ambiance all around. The rolling hills, the quintessential rock walls (Hi Dave!), the atmosphere (my disc went real fahhhhh)...it all adds up to a fantastic experience. Playing hole 18 up to the clubhouse, with people on the deck/bleachers watching your shots coming in...that's just fun stuff. Everything here just feels like what disc golf is supposed to be.

Last (but definitely not least), the shot variety is superb. As a guy that throws around 400' and 940's rated, it felt like everything was attainable, but tough. That's my kind of golf! Fair OB's, tight lines, open bombers, technical shorties (this is from the blues)...I left feeling like I had used nearly every disc in my bag. Me likey.

Signage was great, and navigation wasn't an issue, although it didn't hurt that I've seen the course on video about 1000 times. The clubhouse also has scorecards w/ maps to help.
Cons: Any con is very much nitpicking, in my opinion.

Would love to see all concrete tees here.

MVP baskets aren't my favorite, but they're fine, and that's just personal preference.

Some people may see P2P as a con, but seriously...buck up, tiger. It's worth every penny.

If this were your home course, you'd have real issues with traveling to other courses and not being disappointed. That's a con, right?
Other Thoughts: In conclusion, Maple Hill rocks. If you've played Flip City, it's the same vibe, but more bigger and more awesome. It's got everything you could want, and maybe some things you didn't know you'd want.

I have commitment issues, so I don't know if Maple Hill is #1 on my favorite course list, but it's definitely top 3.

Who am I kidding. This is my favorite course. It's the third 5.0 rating I've given, and there wasn't a doubt in my mind. Just get there...you won't be sorry.

Iconic Massachusetts Course

2-4    5/7/2018   5/22/2018
Review By: markmcc
Pros: From Hole 1 featuring a disc-eating pond with the choice to "go for it" or bail out, to the final hole with its iconic rock wall surrounding the green, Maple Hill DGC features fantastic shot variety.

Maple Hills offers a great variety of holes from quite open to tightly wooded, with plenty of uphill and downhill included. Many holes give you more than one route to the basket, often including both FH and BH routes. You'll get a chance to air out a few drives but you will also have several short, technical drives. Holes 1 and 8 feature ponds, with the water carry being mandatory on Hole 8 (except the red course).

This is actually four courses in one, with Red, White, Blue and Gold courses. This variety is accomplished through ever-changing combinations of tee pads and basket positions. Colored flags at the teepads as well as on the baskets makes finding "your" correct hole relatively easy, but you've got to pay attention.

Infrastructure is solid, with good rubber tees at every position, clear tee signs, and brand new MVP Black Hole baskets. I am generally not a fan of rubber tees, but these were well constructed, flat, and level. In many places there is considerable structure supporting the tee, and the day I played the owners were improving one of the Hole 9 teepads with additional concrete block wall.

The Red Course is beginner friendly, with holes lengths averaging just under 250'. The water carries are eliminated, as is the big downhill throw over the Christmas tree nursery at Hole 11. But it still finishes on the walled-in 18th green.

I played my rounds on the White course, which averages about 325 feet per hole and maintains the water carries and the downhill throw on Hole 11. This is the tamest version of the "full" course but provided plenty of challenge.

The Blue and Gold courses stretch things out considerably and add a few more par 4's, with the Gold course having been featured in the past during the Vibram Open. After watching coverage of that tournament for years it was thrilled to be able to play the course, even though I did it from shorter tees. So many signature holes!
Cons: With the various combinations of tees and baskets you have to pay attention to stay on your selected course. I didn't have any issues with it but could see where some confusion might creep in.

Things were a little wet in a few low spots, but I was playing in mid-Spring and I'm sure things dry out.
Other Thoughts: I look forward to returning and trying the Blue and Gold courses.

The pro shop was closed when I arrived, but I was able to give it a look at the end of my second round. Nice selection of discs and gear. With Marshall Street Disc Golf less than a minute down the road, you won't have any trouble finding something to buy!

Decent parking lot with bathrooms available at the start. I don't recall bathrooms out on the course itself.

Can I live here??!

1    4/9/2018   4/18/2018
Review By: Schreuds2.0
Pros:
-Tee areas are phenomenal, signs are helpful and tees are great, there are sometimes benches to sit on also.
-Baskets have flags on them and are very visible, Baskets are also high quality.
-The Fairways are well maintained, and clear.
-Elevation is used really well when present, many holes play down hills, a few play up.
-Paths are great, and Navigation is intuitive and easy
-This course has an extremely professional vibe, because it is one of the most prestigious courses ever.
-Water is used really well here, you have to throw over Water a couple times, this is a cool challenge you don't often face.
-This course is super pretty, it would be fun just to walk around it and not even play disc golf
-Equal representation of forehand and backhand lines
-No garbage lying around
-This course gets a 4/4 on the new Shoe Index.
Cons:
-The rough is super rough, hard to get out of, easy to lose something.
-if you play on a week day, it is $10, which is reasonable and worth it, on weekends $20 is pretty steep, even for this amazing course, especially if you want to play more than one round.

When I think Disc Golf...

1    8/27/2017   3/15/2018
Review By: jrodkelly1
Pros: Design- Maple Hill has all the variety you could ever want in a course. You will need to execute every shot in your bag to make it through. Unlike some courses Maple Hill never gets repetitive every hole seems fresh and new when you step on the tee.
Course Flow/ Navigation- The course has a nice flow to it and it doesn't absolutely kill you to hike it. The Navigation is solid for the most part The front 9 is easier to navigate than the back
Fairness- There weren't any fairways to me that were poke and hope you will get rewarded with good shots here.
Difficulty Level- There is a challenge for every player at every skill level, It is amazing in that regard
Beauty- Beautiful Lakes, Beautiful woods, Rolling Hills, Heck even Christmas Trees. Easily the prettiest course I've ever played.
The facility here is great plenty of benches and even a disc shop
New Englands Pride and Joy for Disc Golf
Cons: There are very few cons about the course so I'll just name a few ways I think the course can get better.
The navigation could be a little easier to follow on the back 9 if you are in a rush and its your first time playing you could get a little lost if you don't follow the map carefully, I struggled mostly between 14 and 15. Other than a few more arrows here and there I think you wouldn't have any problems
The main problem right now is the new Hole 10 they changed it to get rid of the wooden fortress hole I can see why they may have done this, but I think they got a little happy cutting down trees on the fairway, its very stumpy and a bit of an eye sore now. I know they will fix this in the future so I'm not too concerned. My hope is that Maple Hill will lengthen and turn hole 10 into their first Par 5. If they don't go that route I can understand because Maple Hill has its own vibe and doesn't really need a par 5 per say.
Some people complain a little bit about the water, I'll admit it sucks being a visitor who may not be able to get there disc back, but honestly as an intermediate player I played from the Gold Tees and didn't lose a single disc in the water when I played. Just play safe and smart!
I'd happily play 20 dollars again to play but I wish they had a deal if you bought a disc from the store you would get a discount entry fee, just a thought
Other Thoughts: This course has some of the most memorable and unique holes that you can't find anywhere else. It's amazing what they did with just some farmland. I live in Florida and if I ever travel to Massachusetts again I'll gladly go out of my way to play it again and again. To date its the best course I've ever played.
Memorable Holes (practically all of them) 1,8,9,11,12,14,18

Great experience for the inexperienced

1    6/28/2017   6/30/2017
Review By: snoho
Pros:
* Fantastic tee signs & pads
* Easy to navigate
* Well-maintained
Cons:
* No driving range
Other Thoughts: Had a blast playing the full 18 here. Love love love the red tees: you feel like you're playing a course just like the pros but actually have a chance of a reasonable score. Some of the gold tees just looked... insane!

The layout is fantastic. Every tee is clearly marked, and the baskets have big obvious flags so you know which basket to aim for.

It's obvious the money paid to play goes back into improving the course. Little touches everywhere, like custom benches, really make the course a joy to play.

Highly recommended. If you're in the area, even if you're a noob, stop by and play.

Very disappointing

1    6/3/2017   6/3/2017
Review By: Nantuko
Pros: Nice course, multiple tees and baskets, some great shots you might not find elsewhere. Challenges every type of player.
Cons: The hidden fee. We traveled several hours to play this course, and were very excited after everything we had heard. When we got there, the price to play was increased 100% from what had been posted online. $20 per person is a little steep, even for a great course.

The other con was the terrible customer service of the employees. I was told I would be kicked out if I tried to fish my disc out of the water (which there is quite a bit of) from shore. Not talking about going in the water or anything, but just grabbing a stick and dragging something a foot away in towards me. Then, when I asked about retrieving lost discs, they told me that they will get them, but they won't call, they don't keep a computer system with a list of lost discs and they don't have a phone, so you can't call them either. Only way to get them back is to drive down and ask if they found them (which for me being so far away just isn't feasible). Otherwise, they bragged, they will just sell them to other customers and profit off of my loss. Just an awful kick in the nuts after I just payed $20 to play your course. Glad they can't put that money towards a phone system.
Other Thoughts: The course is nice, but you will be treated much better and won't be robbed of your money elsewhere.

5+    5/6/2017   5/16/2017
Review By: Thoro32
This review was updated on 6/7/2017
Pros: -4 courses for all skill levels
-Course is always well maintained
-Nice benches and tables at almost every hole
-Good sized pro shop on site with another huge disc golf store across the street
-Amazing game room and deck overlooking 18th hole
Cons: - Closes for a month in between Thanksgiving and New Years
- Price increased from $10 to $20 to play

Don't Go Solo

1    9/26/2016   11/5/2016
Review By: Discette
Pros:

I played this course as part of a road trip playing 12 States in 12 Days. I played Marshall Street and Pyramids while traveling across Massachusetts. Since there are already plenty of reviews pointing out all that is good about Maple Hill, I will keep this short.

Amazing facility

This is absolutely a five star disc golf facility. There are four completely different courses on site. There are four tees and targets for every hole, although some tees and targets play double duty. Everything is clearly marked. Players can play White, Red, Blue or Gold tees to White, Red, Blue or Gold targets. The possibilities are truly endless. I wish there was such a versatile course near me. The course is set up to play an 18 hole loop and return to the parking lot. Be sure to bring all the water and supplies you need when you head out.

Cons:

Don't go Solo
This course would have been far more enjoyable if I was not playing alone. There are just too many opportunities to lose a disc on this course when you play by yourself. I imagine there are hundreds of discs hiding among the Christmas Trees. This doesn't include the possibility of losing discs to the water holes, with or without a spotter.

Four Course Confusion
With four sets of tees and targets, at times it was difficult to tell which target I was throwing to or which target I wanted to play. I started playing from the Gold tees, then moved to Blues and finally ended up playing from the tees that looked least dangerous to the most straightforward target. It got more confusing at the end when some colors are on a different hole number from your color.
Very Challenging
I am glad I got the opportunity to play all the courses on Marshall Street and cross this course off the personal bucket list. Hopefully I can return some day.

What dreams are made of

2-4    8/5/2015   7/5/2016
Review By: whitefedora
Pros: 4 awesome unique layouts to give lots of different options of play.
Beautiful views and gorgeous scenery. I've never played here when it wasn't immaculate conditions.
Baskets and tee pads are all in great repair.
Proshop has anything you would need.
Scorecards for each layout have the different course maps.
Navigation is super easy and signage is great. I just love the colored bricks and flags to point you towards
The right layout.
Huge elevation changes and tons of variety. Water shots gets the juices flowing.
Just spectacular golf at it's best and great people looking after it.
Cons: I can't think of any. Unless of course you don't like paying a small fee for premiere courses.
Other Thoughts: This course just has a way of letting you know you are somewhere special as soon as you walk out the car. Not many courses I've played have done this in the way Maple Hill does.

I love the flow and how different each layout looks without actually being 4 courses. It's really an impressive design and never does it feel cramped or crowded. The nature is gorgeous and while you definitely don't want to get off course with your throws, unless you throw into water it's pretty hard to lose a disc. And if you do, it seems that people primarily do return discs to the proshop.

It doesn't hurt that there are some other pretty great courses within the area including Marshall Street's own course Pyramids that you could practically walk over to.

All in all, I love Maple Hill. One of the few courses that when I sleep, I literally will have dreams of.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10