Leicester, MA
Maple Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #10 (Taken 6/2013)
3 / 230ft.   4 / 370ft.   3 / 330ft.   4 / 520ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #10 White/Blue Tee Sign

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
It is amazing

1    6/30/2019   8/2/2019
Review By: Horsman
Pros: ***My review is based on the Gold Tees***

- Nice grippy concrete tees

- MVP black hole baskets catch just as expected, this was my first experience with them and I have no complaints.

- Beautifully maintained fairways and if you find the rough it isnt too thick.

- Fully stocked pro shop

- Hole 1 - The huge throw over the pond is one of the scariest first holes I have ever played. I can easily clear the pond but its still in your mind and its a great way to start the course.

- Hole 4 - Straight up down hill, super tight with water behind the basket. Just another tough shot that requires not only skill but the mental ability to succeed here.

- Hole 5 - Another tough skill and mental shot if you want the birdie. Hole 4 and 5 back to back are an amazing combo.

- Hole 8 - Watching this hole on video for years I always thought it was super simple but playing it was much tougher then I thought, trying to park this is a very tough touchy shot and if you go long you have a death putt.

- Hole 9 - Coming up over the crest after your first shot gives you such a beautiful look at the perfectly manicured green.

- Hole 10 - Just as much up hill as you think it is

- Hole 11 - Was much longer then I thought it was, the top pros really make it look easy.

- Hole 13 - Probably one of my favorite shots on the whole course. Just a 400' down hill shot that you just throw your straightest disc at. Watching discs here is amazing.

- Hole 14 - So picturesque, and is one of the holes on the course that you look forward to, even though you know you are probably going to throw it into the water.

- Hole 18 - This is another hole that the top pros makes look so easy. Its a lot further and more uphill then you think. Getting a 3 on this hole is an amazing score.

Cons: - Im usually not a big fan of putting baskets 10' from OB but there is always a safe way to play the hole if you dont want to take chances.

- Honestly, I cant find much of anything wrong with Maple Hill
Other Thoughts: This course is just as amazing as you think it is. This should be on every serious disc golfers hit list. I will say that it played a bit easier then I thought it would. Years of watching video has lead me to believe that I would struggle a lot more then I did during my round. I was also lucky enough to not lose a single disc. Make sure to bring some water discs with you.

1    7/1/2019   7/26/2019
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Maple Hill is one of the more commonly recognizable disc golf course names, and has been on my bucket list for some time, and it did not disappoint.

One of the most distinguishing characters here is with each round you have you choice of 1 of 4 primary layouts: red, white, blue, gold - plus a combo layout "Old Glory" that includes 6 holes from each of the red, white, and blue tees in an alternating fashion. Some of the tees are just longer or at different angles from the other colors, and some are completely alternate/parallel holes. That is a lot of tees, signs, baskets (with all in excellent shape) and designing all that must have taken an insane amount of planning. How the layouts intertwine with the others is very well-thought out, plus with the scorecard/course map that are plentiful at the clubhouse, you won't get lost. I was also amazed that with the many layouts along with many people playing, we rarely saw anyone else or had to wait.

Beautiful piece of property that gives you pretty much everything: woods, open, elevation, water on several holes. Very well groomed, mowed, no trash, clear paths, landscaping, flowers- just overall an enjoyable outdoor experience.

Holes had a nice balance and mix of anything from ace runs to par 4's. Many unique/memorable/signature holes- downhill bombs, over water shots, an island green, and #18 as a great finishing hole set-up for fans to watch during tournaments.

The pro shop is well-stocked with discs (not as good as the big well-known store just down the road), but still good. Excellent prices on food and snacks though! As I mentioned, there were plenty of scorecards neatly arranged for all the different layouts. Friendly and helpful staff.
Cons: Just a few things. My biggest is that even though there was a lot of hole variety, I actually didn't use a lot of discs and shot types. Everything was mostly straight (understand this is coming the perspective of only playing one round- Old Glory, which was recommended by the employee at the pro shop.) I think the blues and golds probably offer more variety, from what I saw of them.

Though the planning for multiple layouts is about as good as it can be, there were still a few times where we had to do some minor seeking to find the correct tee location the first time you play here, totally understandable with all they have going on here (I played one round and did the Old Glory version.)

Hole 11 (white), though a fun downhill bomb, plays over a Christmas tree farm- making even decent tee shots hard to spot and find once they land. It took my group of 4 much longer than usual to find our discs and then we only found 3/4.

Broken baskets by the parking area- are these crappy practice baskets? Decor? Not sure, gave me some doubt at first- thankfully the course itself did not resemble that first impression.

Restrooms are just a port-a-pottie. Glad it was there, but the obvious bare minimum despite having a pro shop and being pay to play.
Other Thoughts: $10 to play all day on a weekday even if only playing 1 round ($20 on the weekend). I would have liked to play a 2nd round, but its proximity to the Pyramids course made it a tough choice and we went there for our next round of the day. (I also concluded that, even though DGCR lists these 2 as being "on-site" with the other, they aren't, just real close and separate operations.) It might be a pro that these 2 places are here together, but in some ways it is kind of a con since they competed for my time and $.

Maple Hill is a very complete course/s with something suitable for all skill levels. Locals (if they want to pony up the cash each year) will enjoy lots of options and should never get bored here.

It is between 4.5-5.0 on my scale. Why not a 5.0? From what I played it lacked any real strategy or thought from beginning to end, just lots of: here is the shot (usually a straight shot) -now do it. Regardless, Maple Hill is excellent (a DGCR 4.5=Phenomenal) and should be on your list to play if in the Boston area, as it is worthy of being labeled a destination course.

A Destination Disc Golf Course

1    6/8/2019   6/10/2019
Review By: SpartanDisc
Pros: There really isn't much to not rave about for this course. I've played near 200 courses, and this one stands out ahead of the rest (along with Harmony Bends in Columbia, MO). I'll list some of the amazing aspects of the course below.
-- Amazing shot variety and course design. This course requires it all. Big arms will be able to really shine on some of the longer holes and tree tacticians will find no shortage of tight, demanding lines to hit in the woods. There's elevation, water carries, and well placed OB to really make you think.
-- Multiple layouts, with a variety of tees and pins throughout. I was just there for 1 round while in town for a wedding, so I played golds. The golds are no joke. However, there are blues, whites, and reds that all looked to play quite a bit differently on most holes. I'd love to get back and attack the whites and blues.
-- Gorgeous scenery and well manicured. The course was immaculate when I was there. Wonderfully mowed fairways, clean tees, great signage, benches, baskets, etc... It's well taken care of and visually stunning.
-- On-site pro shop with helpful staff that outlined the various layouts to me. They have a good selection of discs, apparel, and even some awesome disc golf artwork. The kid working there explained to me that they send divers in after discs about once a month, and will put found discs on a spreadsheet you can check online, will call you, and if needed ship your disc to you once found (obviously you cover shipping).
-- I was out there on a gorgeous Satruday (everyone in Boston said it was the first really nice day of the year) and I basically had the course to myself. No waiting. No backups.
Cons: There really aren't any notable cons for this course I can think of. If I have to nit-pick, I can really only think of one. And this is only because of my love for Harmony Bends and my constant comparing to that course to see which I like more. In the end, I think Harmony slightly edges out Maple Hill for one reason: the risk/reward shot selection. Maple Hill is by no means easy, but a lot of the holes had a pretty obvious way to attack them that you just had to execute. When I compare to the only other course of this caliber I've played, HB has more lines where you really have to pick a way to dissect a hole based on your game and how much risk/reward you want to take. This is such a minor difference though, and HB is currently the #1 rated course in the world, so this does not take anything away from Maple Hill.

Others on here have complained about unfriendly staff (the complete opposite of my experience), being told their discs would be sold if found (the complete opposite of my experience) and the $20 pay to play. On this last note, I have NO PROBLEM paying $20 for a day at one of the best courses in the world. As disc golfers, I think we've become a bit spoiled. Where else can you participate in what you love in one of the most iconic spots on the planet for it and only pay $20 for a day? Would I pay $20 a day for a lot of my local courses? Wouldn't love it. To pay $20 here given all the upkeep and the general beauty of the place? Hell, I'd pay $50.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area (I drove in from Boston on a Saturday before a 6pm wedding back in Boston), then do yourself a favor and PLAY THIS COURSE. Ideally, give yourself enough time for two rounds (or more).

Maple Hill is Marvelous

1    8/1/2018   8/2/2018
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: Maple Hill is what the future of disc golf should be. A private course, manicured to perfection, with extreme attention put into every detail. Until you have played at Maple Hill, you most likely have not experienced anything like it. This course had been on my wishlist for 3 years, just as long as I have been playing. It is the home of some of the first disc golf video I have ever watched, and it is a large reason I took a liking to this sport in the first place. It lives up to my every expectation, and I had a very high bar set.

The first hole is a signature on any course. It starts off with a water carry, then around a rock wall with a guarded green. The water carry is not incredibly intimidating from the blue/white tees, but the gold tees can be terrifying. The water looks smaller in person, but the view is unparalleled, and it is much better to see this in person than a picture or a video.

There are many other signature holes to describe, as I believe most every hole on this course would be a signature hole at even a decent course, it's just that incredible. Most of them you just have to see for yourself. The pine trees, the rock walls, the ponds, the mountains. It's a great experience in the wooded and hilly Massachusetts.

Getting down to the layout, there is so much to be said. The Gold tee to Gold basket is one of the most recognizable layouts in disc golf. It can challenge the top pros at the annual tournament, but from my experience, it is every bit approachable to a player with an average skill level. However, this course is not just the Gold Layout. This course has four, FOUR!, unique layouts, ranging from an all par 3 red tee, and the championship golds. The red tees do not require many, if any, water carries. They are all reachable, and they are kept in just as good of care as the golds. The Whites and Blues are great courses for everyday play, as I'm sure that a local can't play the golds every time. Each layout was perfectly fit, and this course is not just meant for pros, it can be fun for everyone.

Navigation for this course is also well done. Signs pointing to each dedicated color, and paths that are well beaten. There is not a single walk that I felt unnecessarily long.

The new Black Hole Portals caught very well, and I was pleasantly surprised by them, because I have never played on them before. They are visible in the woods, but even if they weren't, the colorful flags atop every basket shows you exactly where to go. The tee signs are incredible as well. Very large, colored to fit the layout, and extremely detailed. The map includes distances, pars, and some added intricacies to make them better than the average.
Cons: Maple Hill is quite possibly the greatest disc golf course on Earth. I have not played every course in existence, and I can't speak for all the other fantastic courses that are sure to exit, but the experience here trumps all my others, hands down. However, every rose has a few thorns, and I am sure they will be trimmed eventually.

The paver tees are fantastic, and they look great too, but the rubber tees for the short tees are not as great. They are better than some rubber tees I have played on, but I think more pavers for all tees would be incredibly beneficial for this course, making it even more suitable for a casual golfer.

The course does not loop back to the parking lot after nine, only after 18. When leaving your car, pack lots of water, snacks, and extra discs for the few that you could lose in the water. I'm not too happy about losing one of my go to putters, but it is what it is. I shouldn't have ran that putt anyways, but you have to during a casual round, for the fear of being called a wimp.

I am not always a fan of a multiple basket course. I don't exactly know why that is, but they are not my favorite. This is executed to almost perfection though, and the other baskets almost never get in the way.
Other Thoughts: I want to write a review that shows that this course is the best that I have played, and a review that shows that this course is worth a trip. It should be common knowledge by now that this course is one of the best, as it is seen all over the place, but it is completely a different, almost surreal, experience in person. If there is a course that should be in everybody's wishlist, Maple Hill has to be one of them.

There are a lot of thoughts that I can describe as other, but the main thought is that this course took my breath away. If there is any other information that you would like to know, let me know, and I will do the best I can to explain to you why you should just make the trip.

Top notch, in every way.

1    4/25/2018   5/25/2018
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Let's get this out of the way: I LOVE Maple Hill. Love it. So much. Almost as much as Elaine.

18 hole course located on a perfect piece of frolfing land. The grounds are immaculate, the feeling is wonderful...I just don't know what else to say about it.

Brand new MVP baskets on every hole. While these aren't my favorite baskets in the world, they did the job just fine. The multiple colored flags on each basket made it easy to discern which basket you were throwing at. Multiple baskets on many holes.

Multiple tees on most hole. Some pavers, some rubber mats. The pavers (which I usually don't like) were kept up very well and we didn't have any issues. Every skill level should be able to find a tee they feel good about throwing from.

No super crazy elevation (depending on your perspective), but plenty of up and down to create some fantastic downhill bombers. There is still more elevation here than most other courses.

Some of the best water shots I've played anywhere. At many courses, water shots are just "throw over this water", and while Maple has some of that, most of the water is punitive of errant shots, not just short shots. There are bail out spots on most, and big risk/reward for being aggressive on others. I'm not usually a fan of multiple water shots on a course, but they're so well done here that I couldn't help but love it. Oh, and hole 1 from blue or gold is probably the coolest opening shot in the 360+ courses I've played.

Tons of New England ambiance all around. The rolling hills, the quintessential rock walls (Hi Dave!), the atmosphere (my disc went real fahhhhh)...it all adds up to a fantastic experience. Playing hole 18 up to the clubhouse, with people on the deck/bleachers watching your shots coming in...that's just fun stuff. Everything here just feels like what disc golf is supposed to be.

Last (but definitely not least), the shot variety is superb. As a guy that throws around 400' and 940's rated, it felt like everything was attainable, but tough. That's my kind of golf! Fair OB's, tight lines, open bombers, technical shorties (this is from the blues)...I left feeling like I had used nearly every disc in my bag. Me likey.

Signage was great, and navigation wasn't an issue, although it didn't hurt that I've seen the course on video about 1000 times. The clubhouse also has scorecards w/ maps to help.
Cons: Any con is very much nitpicking, in my opinion.

Would love to see all concrete tees here.

MVP baskets aren't my favorite, but they're fine, and that's just personal preference.

Some people may see P2P as a con, but seriously...buck up, tiger. It's worth every penny.

If this were your home course, you'd have real issues with traveling to other courses and not being disappointed. That's a con, right?
Other Thoughts: In conclusion, Maple Hill rocks. If you've played Flip City, it's the same vibe, but more bigger and more awesome. It's got everything you could want, and maybe some things you didn't know you'd want.

I have commitment issues, so I don't know if Maple Hill is #1 on my favorite course list, but it's definitely top 3.

Who am I kidding. This is my favorite course. It's the third 5.0 rating I've given, and there wasn't a doubt in my mind. Just get there...you won't be sorry.

Iconic Massachusetts Course

2-4    5/7/2018   5/22/2018
Review By: markmcc
Pros: From Hole 1 featuring a disc-eating pond with the choice to "go for it" or bail out, to the final hole with its iconic rock wall surrounding the green, Maple Hill DGC features fantastic shot variety.

Maple Hills offers a great variety of holes from quite open to tightly wooded, with plenty of uphill and downhill included. Many holes give you more than one route to the basket, often including both FH and BH routes. You'll get a chance to air out a few drives but you will also have several short, technical drives. Holes 1 and 8 feature ponds, with the water carry being mandatory on Hole 8 (except the red course).

This is actually four courses in one, with Red, White, Blue and Gold courses. This variety is accomplished through ever-changing combinations of tee pads and basket positions. Colored flags at the teepads as well as on the baskets makes finding "your" correct hole relatively easy, but you've got to pay attention.

Infrastructure is solid, with good rubber tees at every position, clear tee signs, and brand new MVP Black Hole baskets. I am generally not a fan of rubber tees, but these were well constructed, flat, and level. In many places there is considerable structure supporting the tee, and the day I played the owners were improving one of the Hole 9 teepads with additional concrete block wall.

The Red Course is beginner friendly, with holes lengths averaging just under 250'. The water carries are eliminated, as is the big downhill throw over the Christmas tree nursery at Hole 11. But it still finishes on the walled-in 18th green.

I played my rounds on the White course, which averages about 325 feet per hole and maintains the water carries and the downhill throw on Hole 11. This is the tamest version of the "full" course but provided plenty of challenge.

The Blue and Gold courses stretch things out considerably and add a few more par 4's, with the Gold course having been featured in the past during the Vibram Open. After watching coverage of that tournament for years it was thrilled to be able to play the course, even though I did it from shorter tees. So many signature holes!
Cons: With the various combinations of tees and baskets you have to pay attention to stay on your selected course. I didn't have any issues with it but could see where some confusion might creep in.

Things were a little wet in a few low spots, but I was playing in mid-Spring and I'm sure things dry out.
Other Thoughts: I look forward to returning and trying the Blue and Gold courses.

The pro shop was closed when I arrived, but I was able to give it a look at the end of my second round. Nice selection of discs and gear. With Marshall Street Disc Golf less than a minute down the road, you won't have any trouble finding something to buy!

Decent parking lot with bathrooms available at the start. I don't recall bathrooms out on the course itself.

Can I live here??!

1    4/9/2018   4/18/2018
Review By: Schreuds2.0
Pros:
-Tee areas are phenomenal, signs are helpful and tees are great, there are sometimes benches to sit on also.
-Baskets have flags on them and are very visible, Baskets are also high quality.
-The Fairways are well maintained, and clear.
-Elevation is used really well when present, many holes play down hills, a few play up.
-Paths are great, and Navigation is intuitive and easy
-This course has an extremely professional vibe, because it is one of the most prestigious courses ever.
-Water is used really well here, you have to throw over Water a couple times, this is a cool challenge you don't often face.
-This course is super pretty, it would be fun just to walk around it and not even play disc golf
-Equal representation of forehand and backhand lines
-No garbage lying around
-This course gets a 4/4 on the new Shoe Index.
Cons:
-The rough is super rough, hard to get out of, easy to lose something.
-if you play on a week day, it is $10, which is reasonable and worth it, on weekends $20 is pretty steep, even for this amazing course, especially if you want to play more than one round.

When I think Disc Golf...

1    8/27/2017   3/15/2018
Review By: jrodkelly1
Pros: Design- Maple Hill has all the variety you could ever want in a course. You will need to execute every shot in your bag to make it through. Unlike some courses Maple Hill never gets repetitive every hole seems fresh and new when you step on the tee.
Course Flow/ Navigation- The course has a nice flow to it and it doesn't absolutely kill you to hike it. The Navigation is solid for the most part The front 9 is easier to navigate than the back
Fairness- There weren't any fairways to me that were poke and hope you will get rewarded with good shots here.
Difficulty Level- There is a challenge for every player at every skill level, It is amazing in that regard
Beauty- Beautiful Lakes, Beautiful woods, Rolling Hills, Heck even Christmas Trees. Easily the prettiest course I've ever played.
The facility here is great plenty of benches and even a disc shop
New Englands Pride and Joy for Disc Golf
Cons: There are very few cons about the course so I'll just name a few ways I think the course can get better.
The navigation could be a little easier to follow on the back 9 if you are in a rush and its your first time playing you could get a little lost if you don't follow the map carefully, I struggled mostly between 14 and 15. Other than a few more arrows here and there I think you wouldn't have any problems
The main problem right now is the new Hole 10 they changed it to get rid of the wooden fortress hole I can see why they may have done this, but I think they got a little happy cutting down trees on the fairway, its very stumpy and a bit of an eye sore now. I know they will fix this in the future so I'm not too concerned. My hope is that Maple Hill will lengthen and turn hole 10 into their first Par 5. If they don't go that route I can understand because Maple Hill has its own vibe and doesn't really need a par 5 per say.
Some people complain a little bit about the water, I'll admit it sucks being a visitor who may not be able to get there disc back, but honestly as an intermediate player I played from the Gold Tees and didn't lose a single disc in the water when I played. Just play safe and smart!
I'd happily play 20 dollars again to play but I wish they had a deal if you bought a disc from the store you would get a discount entry fee, just a thought
Other Thoughts: This course has some of the most memorable and unique holes that you can't find anywhere else. It's amazing what they did with just some farmland. I live in Florida and if I ever travel to Massachusetts again I'll gladly go out of my way to play it again and again. To date its the best course I've ever played.
Memorable Holes (practically all of them) 1,8,9,11,12,14,18

Great experience for the inexperienced

1    6/28/2017   6/30/2017
Review By: snoho
Pros:
* Fantastic tee signs & pads
* Easy to navigate
* Well-maintained
Cons:
* No driving range
Other Thoughts: Had a blast playing the full 18 here. Love love love the red tees: you feel like you're playing a course just like the pros but actually have a chance of a reasonable score. Some of the gold tees just looked... insane!

The layout is fantastic. Every tee is clearly marked, and the baskets have big obvious flags so you know which basket to aim for.

It's obvious the money paid to play goes back into improving the course. Little touches everywhere, like custom benches, really make the course a joy to play.

Highly recommended. If you're in the area, even if you're a noob, stop by and play.

Very disappointing

1    6/3/2017   6/3/2017
Review By: Nantuko
Pros: Nice course, multiple tees and baskets, some great shots you might not find elsewhere. Challenges every type of player.
Cons: The hidden fee. We traveled several hours to play this course, and were very excited after everything we had heard. When we got there, the price to play was increased 100% from what had been posted online. $20 per person is a little steep, even for a great course.

The other con was the terrible customer service of the employees. I was told I would be kicked out if I tried to fish my disc out of the water (which there is quite a bit of) from shore. Not talking about going in the water or anything, but just grabbing a stick and dragging something a foot away in towards me. Then, when I asked about retrieving lost discs, they told me that they will get them, but they won't call, they don't keep a computer system with a list of lost discs and they don't have a phone, so you can't call them either. Only way to get them back is to drive down and ask if they found them (which for me being so far away just isn't feasible). Otherwise, they bragged, they will just sell them to other customers and profit off of my loss. Just an awful kick in the nuts after I just payed $20 to play your course. Glad they can't put that money towards a phone system.
Other Thoughts: The course is nice, but you will be treated much better and won't be robbed of your money elsewhere.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10