Leicester, MA
Maple Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #14 (Taken 6/2013)
3 / 289ft.   3 / 296ft.   3 / 292ft.   3 / 440ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #14 Basket to Tee (White Layout)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11

5+    11/24/2022   11/24/2022
Review By: eakadima15
Pros: Hole 1 is the most iconic starting hole in disc golf

The water carries make the course unforgettable on their own

Perfect variety of wooded technical lines and open rips

Some of the views are out of this world

Wonderful elevation changes

No two holes are even remotely alike

Signage and course design are world class

Outstanding pro shop
Cons: Need a spotter on several holes, especially when the Christmas trees are involved

All of the different layouts means its extremely important to be careful crossing fairways
Other Thoughts: Maple Hill is the crown jewel of disc golf. As soon as you pull into the parking lot, you know you're in for a treat. It's an experience that any passionate disc golfer will take with them forever.

Rich History and Continual Improvement

5+    9/26/2022   10/19/2022
Review By: WD09
Pros: Variety of topography, hole length, left/right hole favorability, open/wooded, water in play or not, and different types of danger on the greens. I think this may be the greatest strength of Maple Hill in comparison to other courses - it has almost every kind of great hole design you have experienced on another course on at least one of the holes and it has multiple great design elements within many of the holes.

The variety also extends to the ways the course can be played, as there are multiple tees on every hole and many different pin positions. Maple Hill can be played as a very short course for beginners or by a group that wants a lot of ace runs and birdies. It also can be played with a card of players using different tees to accommodate their various abilities, while still allowing them to walk most of the fairways together. (Although one or two of the shorter layouts diverge significantly from the paths of the pro tees.) Or, of course, casual players can choose to play the same layout the MPO or FPO division plays. The course adapts to many skill levels and many preferences for fun or challenge (or challenging fun!).

Playing here is almost like playing a series of the signature holes from 18 other courses you might travel to over the course of a year, all collected in one place. The lines to hit (or sometimes to choose from) on the wooded holes are challenging, but fair. The rough in most places is thin enough to allow for scrambling without having to pitch out, but a successful scramble usually requires a very good shot. Artificial OB lines are used sparingly and usually for safety or due to property lines. Water and stone walls create most of the OB on the course.

The flow of the course is very good, with the different hole styles mixed in to create an enjoyable round where it is always exciting to arrive at the tee and see the next hole. There are many "two shot" holes, where the placement of the tee shot to set up the next throw is paramount. There are also many holes with risk vs. reward decisions, where different players on the same card will likely play the second shot differently or try for a different landing spot off the tee.

The beauty of the ponds, the hills, the stone walls, the woods, and the Christmas trees, plus the isolated nature of the course (once you are past hole 3) combine to make the experience of playing Maple Hill something special every time. I have played on few properties that are as enjoyable to visit. Be sure to slow down, look around, and take it all in at frequent intervals.

The tee pads have continued to improve over the years and I find them to be large enough, grippy enough, and attractive in appearance. The baskets are always top quality ones and in good condition. Signage is also top notch, with accurate information and good maps, plus "next tee" signage where needed. Practice baskets and a warm-up net are available near the first tee.

The pro shop on site continues to expand, with extensive selections of discs, equipment, snacks, and drinks. The tap room provides table games and a great view of hole 18. The style, structure, and appearance of everything in the front part of the property welcomes you to New England disc golf and invites you to stay awhile!
Cons: If you are not playing the course during a major event with spotters on hand, keep a sharp eye on all the discs that fly off the pad in your group! In particular, the temptation to throw multiple shots off the hills into the Christmas trees on hole 1 and 11 is high, but be aware that you will need to find them all!

There are many layouts and the course can be busy these days, so the way the various layouts overlap can cause confusion among groups. Despite the fact that many other groups were on the course, we mostly felt spread out from the other players, with the exception of when one of the shorter courses intersected with a hole we were playing and at first we did not realize the other group was playing to the same basket we were, from a different tee down another fairway.
Other Thoughts: The likelihood of losing discs is high. I don't count that a con in ratings, but it needs to be a consideration when choosing what discs and how many discs to carry.

The course is pay-to-pay and requires tee times. It is also closed for a few weeks before Christmas, when locals are trying to buy trees from the fairways that cost them a stroke during the year - or something like that. Be sure to call or check online before you go.

This is one of only a few courses where long-time fans who have never played it before will recognize every hole and remember when one of their favorite pro players landed in that spot, made or missed a putt from that area, went OB over there, etc. It's almost impossible to line up an approach shot on hole 18 without an awareness of all the disc golf history that has happened in that spot. The course is special on its own, but its place in disc golf history certainly adds to the enjoyment.

I first played Maple Hill in 2007 and I have been amazed at how it retains its place in my own list of top courses, visit after visit, no matter how many other courses I have experienced. Disc golf continues to grow and change and this course, unlike some old favorites, just keeps getting better and better.

Bucket List Disc Golf Dreams Realized

2-4    8/13/2022   8/30/2022
Review By: DFrah
Pros: Maple Hill is an icon of disc golf located in central Massachusetts. It's about an hour's drive west of Boston, or only 15 minutes west of Worcester.

Maple Hill DGC has almost every type of disc golf challenge I can think of. Tight technical fairways that wind through the woods in every conceivable shape? Check. Open top-of-the-world downhill bombs? You bet. Uphill treks to harrowing pin placements? Oh my gosh, yes. Memorable water carries? Holy cow.

The course has five signed layouts of varying difficulty. The Gold layout is meant to challenge the top pros in the world, and this form of the 18-hole course is an 8600' par 59 marathon. Signage indicates that if you were to shoot the Golds even par, you just threw a 1015 rated round. The Diamond (7000') and Blue (6500') layouts are challenging rounds for experienced disc golfers. The White (5500') layout is tough enough for 75% of the clientele that visits the course, or at least that's what a pro shop employee told me. The Red (4200') layout offers a par 3 round that is playable for any recreational DG'er who can throw somewhat straight. As if those five options weren't enough, the pro shop also has official scorecards for other layouts that pick and choose holes from the main layouts (for example, there is an "Old Glory" layout that alternates between using the Red, White, and Blue tees every third hole). I played one round from the Whites and a second round from the Reds, and felt that both were challenging enough for the skill level that I am currently at without being overwhelming.

One of the awesome things about my experience on the course was the wide variety of people I met. A young couple, each of whom appeared to be throwing no more than 150' off the tee (but having a grand time doing it) let me play through early in my round. Soon after, I played a hole with what appeared to be a family of four - two young adult brothers playing the Blues and their parents throwing the Reds. Later, I talked to an older man for several minutes who said he was local and just getting into disc golf. This course is really for everyone.

Maple Hill is an active Christmas tree farm (the course is closed from Thanksgiving until New Year's for this reason). The course plays next to, and occasionally over, two different Christmas tree forests. The ponds, rolling wooded hillsides, and these arrays of spruces together created a beautiful aesthetic that was unlike any other course I have experienced.

Most holes at Maple Hill could be the signature hole at your average course, but just to mention a couple that especially stood out for me:
- #1: Step up to the first tee and you will immediately gain some idea of what this course has to offer. The land slopes gently away in front of you. Spread out below is a large patch of the Christmas trees, and off to the right beyond them is the first of many water hazards you will encounter - a pond maybe 200' across. The basket for the Red and White layouts is off to the left, while the basket for the more difficult layouts is beyond the pond. Regardless of your chosen layout, this first hole is very picturesque and a great introduction to the course.
- #8: A water carry over the edge of a different pond for all layouts except Red, with the carry distance varying depending on the layout. From the Whites, it is about 250'. My throw had enough distance, but it turned over a little more than I intended and landed in the very far edge of the pond, within 1' or so from the shore. I was able to reach in and grab it without getting my feet wet. You don't have to throw over the water if playing the Red layout (that's true throughout the course from the Reds), but on this hole it is still very much in play off to your left.
- #11: From all tees except Red this is a bigger version of hole 1, minus the pond. Have you ever gone Christmas tree shopping, walked to the top of one of the rolling hills, and thought "wow this would be a great place to launch a disc"? This is the hole for you.
- #18: The finishing hole plays up a gentle, lightly wooded slope towards the pro shop and an artificial island green that is mostly defined by a short stone wall. There are a couple of really pesky trees guarding the green that will knock your discs down into OB.

There are lots of other really beautiful and well designed holes here. Every layout except the Reds has at least two water carries, and all layouts have several holes where water is in play next to fairways or behind baskets. There is great variety regardless of layout - not only when it comes to distances, shot shaping, etc. but also in the sense that the course effortlessly flows in and out of the woods, towards and away from the water, and up and down the hills that cover the property.

I haven't even gotten to the infrastructure yet, which is top notch. The baskets are orange MVP Black Hole Portal models that stick out well in the woods. Almost all tee pads are perfectly flat, framed, large arrays of patio pavers. The tee signs have been updated since most of the photos here were taken. They are now printed on metal backing and have all of the info you could want, including a map of the hole that shows all of the different tees and baskets (the QR codes for even more hole info on the tee signs seemed to be out of order, but I attributed this to a recent refresh of the course website). The different layouts are achieved by using multiple tee areas on every hole, and multiple baskets on most of them. All of the tee areas and baskets are marked with large colored flags to match the colors of the different layouts. The "Next Tee" signs are also color coded by layout - and while things will always be a bit confusing with this many layouts present, I thought the directional signage was adequate overall. Benches are installed behind most tees, many painted with the course logo. Trash cans appear alongside bottle/can recycling bins periodically throughout the course.

There is a pro shop on site where you can find a large selection of discs for purchase, a lost disc repository, scorecards for all layouts imaginable, and helpful employees who will happily recommend a layout for you.

Multiple porta potties and practice baskets are available near the parking lot. There are no water bottle fillers, but a pro shop employee told me that both this and indoor bathrooms are planned improvements for 2023.

When I visited, there was even a food truck on site and a small building behind it had several beers on tap. The bison brat was an unexpected lunch treat after my two rounds of disc golf - don't knock it till you try it!
Cons: I had a couple of minor safety concerns. The pro shop and walking path to/from it are in play on errant approaches for hole 18. There are also some bleachers and picnic tables right next to the green behind the OB rock wall. Warning signs are posted, but I thought they could have been a bit more prominent.

From my noodle arm perspective, I had a couple of small gripes about the Red layout. I didn't like that a few of the tee pads exclusive to the Red layout were just rubber mats, and not the nice arrays of pavers found at all the other tees. I also wasn't a huge fan of the way that the Red layout diverges from the other layouts for holes 11-12, then plays to/from some of the same tees and baskets as the other layouts but a hole number behind for holes 13-16, then has a hole 17 that felt like kind of a throwaway (157' on flat wooded terrain, albeit to a raised basket). Besides just being kind of odd, this layout routing also creates a minor safety and major congestion issue (hole 12 red and hole 13 white/blue/diamond/gold play to the same basket, but from completely different directions - the partial saving grace from a safety perspective is that it's line of sight). I think that the designers chose to do this so that people playing the Red tees can avoid the long traverse and potential disc loss of holes 11 and 12 from the other tees. But that is also a very pretty area of the course that the Red layout players kind of miss out on. Again, this is a very minor gripe that I am only spelling out in a ton of detail because I have nothing else to nitpick.

The risk of disc loss potential is high. I discussed the water carries above, but as others have said the arrays of Christmas trees can also hide your discs. Keeping an eye on your disc when these are in play is the bare minimum, but I would recommend also trying to listen to hear whether your disc hits the ground. This isn't a real Con, just more of a warning.
Other Thoughts: This course costs $10/round to play on a weekday, or $18/round to play on a weekend. These prices increase by $2 each if you just show up and claim the first available tee time, versus booking in advance on the course website. I saw a couple walk-ins successfully snag tee times during my visit, but would still strongly recommend booking in advance. Doing so not only saves you the $2/round, but also gives you the peace of mind to know that you will be able to play when you arrive. From my experience, online booking is easy and becomes available about a month in advance of your chosen date. Tee times are sold in 10 minute time slots. Five slots are available per 10 minute period, but you don't have to play with any other groups that book your same time slot - it's just to cut down on course congestion. Likely thanks to this system, congestion on the summer Saturday I visited was no worse than what I have experienced playing popular local courses on weekend days. Depending on the size of groups and whether all the time slots fill up, you may even end up with relative solitude. When I was getting ready to leave, I realized that no one was teeing off at hole 1 so I walked over and sat uninterrupted for several minutes to take in the view. Both the price of admission and the congestion were more than worth dealing with to be able to experience this course.

I reserved tee times two hours apart (9 AM and 11 AM) and that worked out perfectly for me. I played the White tees first at 9 AM and completed a solo round in about 1 hour 45 minutes, playing at a comfortable pace and passing 2-3 groups (plus 5-10 minutes looking for discs in the Christmas tree forests). My solo round from the Red tees took about 1 hour 30 minutes, again playing at a relaxed pace and passing/interacting with several groups. If I had more time, I would have definitely stayed all day and played both layouts again - plus maybe the Old Glory layout. If you are visiting with a larger group and/or playing a longer layout, I would plan on taking an entire day to play 2-3 rounds here.

I do not know why this course is not currently in the DGCR top 10, although my understanding is that it will soon reclaim a spot (RIP Selah Ranch). Out of the 125 courses I have played to date, I would rank Maple Hill #1. Comparing it to the two current DGCR top 10 courses that I have personally played, Maple Hill has the over-the-top amenities of Rollin Ridge PLUS the beautiful scenery of Flip City (although the scenery here is a little different), PLUS more water holes. While I can't quite call this course perfect (see above), it's easily over the 4.75 rating threshold in my book.

I was in the New York City area for work and had a Friday afternoon/Saturday available before my flight home. I chose to spend that time battling traffic for 4 hours each direction and book a hotel room in Worcester for one night, to get here and play my two rounds - and I would do the same again in a heartbeat. Actually, no I wouldn't. What I would really do is book the room or camp out for several nights - and get my fill of Maple Hill, then sample other highly regarded courses (Pyramids, 501 Disc Golf, etc.) within a short drive. I really can't recommend highly enough that you do the same.

Maple Hill Lives up to the Hype

1    7/9/2022   7/22/2022
Review By: Why are trees
Pros: I went into my round at Maple Hill expecting to be blown away, and the course exceeded my lofty expectations. Multiple different layouts with different tees and pins give the course a unique feel and allow you to pick and choose what shots to play.
&#8232;
Amenities: All the amenities are first-class. The pro shop was well stocked, and the staff was very friendly. The course itself was impeccably maintained, and it is clear that the staff worked hard to ensure that each of the layouts flowed smoothly and that it was difficult to get lost. Each tee is marked, as are the baskets and there are arrows at virtually every hole pointing to the next tee.
&#8232;
Diverse layouts: I love the multiple layouts and the balance of the course. Anyone, whether a top pro or a brand new player, will find something to enjoy at Maple Hill. While we played our round, we saw both a group of clearly new players and another group effectively playing the Golds, and both groups praised the course.
&#8232;
Aesthetic beauty: As several other reviewers have mentioned, this course is very beautiful. It is on a Christmas tree farm, and many of the holes play through the farm.
&#8232;
Elevation: The course designers do a very good job of using elevation to create interesting holes. For example, one is a fun and open downhill shot with water in play, depending on what tee you play. Four is another downhill shot, this one tightly wooded that requires both hitting your line and controlling speed as well. On the back nine, there are multiple downhill bombs that allow players of all different skill levels to open up on a drive (11, 13 both come to mind). Some of these shots are very scenic, and you could easily throw your whole bag on 13.
&#8232;
Balanced holes: There is an excellent balance between open and wooded holes that ensures the course provides a diversity of holes. Distance throwers will enjoy the long open holes (1, 11, 13, 18), while good shot shaping is heavily rewarded on much of the front nine. The tight wooded holes typically allow for multiple shot types and lines depending on how aggressive you want to play. Hole six is a good example because it is relatively tight, and an errant shot could end up either OB right or in the lake, depending on the pin position.
&#8232;
Signature holes: Several holes stand out as particularly exceptional holes (I played the white layout). Eight is a fun water carry, 10 plays to the signature castle basket and brings in an extra element of putting to an already challenging hole, 13, as previously mentioned, is one of my favorite holes to throw and 18 begins with a big open drive that determines how aggressive you can be to a basket surrounded by rock walls that delineate the ob line.
Cons: Don't have much to say here. The course is very well marked but having so many different layouts leads to some confusion if you don't spot the appropriate markers. Depending on the layout you play, there is a decent chance you lose a disc. I will say that the red tees mitigated that risk as much as possible and didn't have any obvious water carries. Our round went relatively smoothly, but there were bottlenecks on holes 13, 15 and 18.
Other Thoughts: Probably the best course I've ever played, and I'm super excited to go back and play different layouts in the future. I played the white and thought it was a very fair challenge and did a great job balancing birdie holes with more demanding holes where I was happy walking away with par.

Maple Hill DGC

2-4    10/1/2021   10/4/2021
Review By: reezyF
Pros: My Three Pros:

1) The amenities on site at Maple Hill are every thing you could think of and then some. My favorite touch was the potted flowers off the front edges of almost every teepad, adding such a beautiful touch.
There are 5 18-hole courses ranging in difficulty (red, white, blue, diamond, gold) and all holes utilize at least 2 teepads for the different layouts. Teepads were usually brick pavers that looked and felt nice although some of gravel or rubber mats are used on some holes on some of the easier layouts. Each layout has its own signage at every tee making it obvious which tee to use and where to throw to. A colored flag distinguishing which basket to play to makes it totally clear what target you are going for( as there are at least 2 baskets on every hole). The combination of extra baskets and tees make it such that navigating to the next hole can be drastically different between the different layouts - this is solved with next hole signs that are color coded to the each course layout. The proshop was very nice and had everything you could need before or after a round. The parking is pretty large and has porta potties at the parking lot. There is large sign showing the various layouts and course maps near the hole #1 tee.
They have everything here.

2) What really helps separate Maple Hill from any where else is the natural beauty throughout the course. I have watched the course in tournament footage many times but there is allot I had never seen on the footage. I came into the course knowing it was a pretty property and was still surprised many times. I loved the use of the water and having so many holes near or over the water. The rustic structures and rock walls near the first/last holes remind traveling players of the Mass history. The cherry on top is coming out in the fall and getting to play through a colorful forest between the wide open bomber holes.

3) It truly felt like half the course were incredible signature holes. On the Gold course this was:1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9,10, 14, 18 - and a few others are close.
The use of big water carries, small little streams, the rock wall features, up hills, down hills, play from wide open to wooded tunnels, play from wooded tunnels to wide open - every shot is here. The water carries are thrilling - bring extra discs and be prepared to lose a few. The wooded gaps are tight but fair. The wide open crush holes are as fun as they look on footage - even if you dont quite throw it as far...Fun transitions from open long holes to wooded short holes and vice versa. I really liked that the Red, Whites and Golds all played very differently even though they are overlapping layouts on essentially the same track.
Cons: My Three Cons:

1) Disc risk is high at this one - bring your back up discs. Maple Hill is an active Christmas tree farm and as other have mentioned the Xmas trees are a pain in the butt to search through for discs. Many of the xmas tree holes are downhill bombs and keeping track of where your discs went can be very tough. There are fair landing zones provided so a few rounds of practice could get a player dialed in enough to miss the trees. The water carries are no joke and will gobble up discs without sympathy.

2) The course is on private property (and in New England) so its pay to play and now reservation only. This site and the course webpage state "closed from thanksgiving to Christmas" which is a bummer in itself. I showed up in 2019 the weekend before thanksgiving and found out the course was already closed and no amount of pleading would allow my party of 1 to disrupt the tree operations and was turned away. Luckily now there's a reservation system so these kind of things can be avoided now hopefully.
The new reservation website is a bit clunky but works well enough . I reserved a 730 and 12:30 tee time before hand and was able to play quick enough and squeeze in an extra round between; which was setup on the spot at the proshop. It seemed like the teetimes werent really being enforced too strictly just by the nature of the shop being located at 18 and not in the way of hole #1. The early AM tee times are on the honor system as the tee times are reservable as early as 6am but the shop doesnt open until 9. My tree time was for 730, I showed up at 750 and no-one was around to raise any issue.

3) A few amenities related comments would be that the navigation can be tricky at times with all the next tee signs and multiple tees - hopefully over time the navigation gets more obvious. With udisc on hand its no trouble getting around. There could be a few more trash cans, I only recall seeing one at hole 17. The 5 overlapping courses can flow a bit odd with groups playing the different layouts.
Other Thoughts: Wow - this course impressed me more than Harmony bends, bucksnort, selah, beaver ranch, IDGC and every other highly rated course I have visited so far. I cant understand how this isnt in the DGCR top ten but hopefully it works its way up there with some of the recent additions - including the new daiamond layout and reservation system. I dont know if its #1 as udsic purports but its gotta be close.
I came into the day hoping to see a 5 star course and expecting to be let down - and the only let down was having to leave.
I played the white layout at 8 am and had the course almost to myself. it was crisp and quiet- wet and soggy. absolutely beautiful. I played ok but poorly and shot +7 in about 1.5 hours.
Next I played the gold layout. I measured over 5 miles of walking, about 2 hours of playing, and shot +20 - lost 3 discs - brutal stuff. I will always have a deeper appreciation of what the pros throw down at the MVP open.
Finally, I played the red layout with a beginner friend. This round was right at par, and though its implied the red is the beginner course at Maple Hill - it is no beginner course.

I was amazed in the end with how differently all three rounds played considering they are the mostly the same holes with altered tees and or baskets. I would recommend the white layout for best mixture of gettable holes with many holes that are similar to the pro holes. All the courses demanded good shot after good shot. Bad shots are punished, good ones are rewarded. Go big or go home.

Maple Hill #100

5+    10/24/2020   11/24/2020
Review By: wolfsbro
This review was updated on 12/2/2020
Pros: I've been playing Maple Hill for 10 years and it's an honor to be writing review #100 for this amazing course!

~ The variety between the layouts is the best of any course I've ever played. Any adult disc golfer can find their level at Maple Hill and push themselves to the next level as well. Red is a true beginner course, one of the easiest non-kiddie courses out there while also built to make new players excited about what's possible. Over the years I've taken about 20 first-time disc golfers to MH to play Red for their first round ever and they all came away hooked. The leveling from Red to White to Blue to Gold is evenly spaced in difficulty. Gold challenges world-class players, as you're probably aware. And the new Diamond layout fits nicely between Blue and Gold for difficulty. No matter where you fit on the spectrum from novice to Paul McBeth, Maple Hill has a layout where you'll be comfortable and a layout where you'll be challenged.

~ The whole course is gorgeous, spotless, and immaculately maintained. If there's an Augusta National of disc golf, this is it. I wanted to have my wedding here. Beautiful any time of year. If you can come in October the foliage makes it especially impressive. There's never any litter. Something about paying a few bucks to play and seeing a perfect course keeps people on their best behavior. (That and there's a public course about 3 miles away where people go to trash a disc golf course if that's their thing.) The staff are out around the course every day keeping it perfect.

~ The lost disc program is the best around. Which is great because there's a lot of water on the course and lost water shots are common. From April through October they dive regularly for discs. I've gotten back I would guess 20/25 discs that I've ever lost here. They text you and post found discs on their website and hold them for a year. I've even had two spend the entire winter in a pond and got it back when they found it in the spring.

~ The mandatory tee times that started in May 2020 have actually worked out great. I was skeptical at first. I've never had a tee time at any course and I like to just show up and play. But as with any course this can lead to big backups if a bunch of people happen to show up at the same time. The tee times have gotten rid of that. You'll always have a clear path ahead when you start. The tee times were easy to get all year. I've played at Maple Hill 14 times here in 2020 and you could almost always find a decent tee time if you booked the day before, and if you were planning 3 days or more in advance you could book a tee time basically whenever you want. I still don't think I'd want to see this everywhere, but I am very pleasantly surprised by how well it worked out this year.

~ There's a decent size pro shop. And if you really want to get your shop on, the biggest disc golf pro shop in New England is at the other course across the street.

Cons: ~ As another reviewer mentioned, this is not a particularly strategic course. The course design is still fantastic; every tee box, basket, tree, and obstacle is clearly well thought out and somehow exactly where it should be. But almost all the holes can only really be played one way.

~ Hole 11 W/B/G and Hole 17 G are big open air downhill shots over a Christmas Tree farm. The trees can make it artificially hard to find your disc. It can be quite hard to maintain perspective on which Christmas tree your disc is near as you walk down the hill. Not a problem if you can reliably throw 425 on a big air shot though.
Other Thoughts: If you are a disc golfer and you find yourself within 100 miles of Maple Hill for any reason, what are you waiting for?? Get yourself to Maple Hill!!! You won't forget it!

Challenging but nice variety of landscapes

1    10/1/2020   10/1/2020
Review By: runjet
Pros: - Challenging but 4 different tees offer diff options
- Different landscapes (forest, open, lakes)
- Elevation changes
- Straight, left, right turns requiring diff throws
- Well marked holes and signs to next tee
- well maintained grounds
Cons: - Might lose a frisbee into the water if you're not careful or over confident near the lakes.
- Can we windy, which will affect throws
Other Thoughts: Simply the best course I've ever played and I've played over 20 courses in the US (haven't found any top 5 courses oustide the US).

Pack Your Bags And Taste Amazing Here

1    8/20/2020   9/10/2020
Review By: MrFrosty
Pros: If you ever fly or drive to the eastern section of the US , You need to make a stop to Maple Hill . This is what you call a disc golf mecca . It is a private course with a stocked pro shop with a game room/entertainment center , and view of the 18th hole on the 2nd floor . There are Port O Lets near the driveways . Parking can be a little tight but manageable . It is a good idea to call for a tee time here , even on a Thursday mid-afternoon ( When I came in , and did not make one ) . The Pro Shop attendant will do his best to get you on as quick as possible .
The Equipment - Top of the line . There are nice brick paver tees at most of the boxes here ( there are 4+ lines ) . I never saw the red ( short ) tees , so I didn't know if they were still rubber mats . The often decorated tee pads are marked with a flag system that help identify them , Yellow for gold tees ( the hardest ) Blue flags ( hard intermediate ) White ( medium challenge ) and red ( easier ) . The tee signs are fantastic and give needed information on several of the holes at a time . Plenty of Next Tee signs . The baskets are Black Hole Portals and look new . They also have flags on the tops of them to signify which baskets that you are going for . Benches are at the holes along with trash receptacles .
The Landscape - This is a great piece of land . The course and grounds were very clean , the course mowed , and branches and sticks were cut trimmed and picked up when I came here . The course surface varies like the weather . From rolling to extreme uphill and downhill , this course has it all . A pond comes into play immediately , and the lake makes it's presence felt on holes 3,4 ,5 Throwing over it on 8 A couple of creeks , . Even Christmas trees even come into play on this course . There is a hand built rock wall that is part of the 18th hole .
The Highlights - Keep in mind that I was supposed to be on the White course , but I drifted to blue on occasion . I also think it's funny that they have a Scorecard with map on it for an " Old Glory round , where you alternate playing red , white and blue parts of the courses . A lot of this course is a highlight . #1 from the white/blue tee starts you off with a downhill drive over a pond . The basket is right in front of it , and there is heavy rough about 20' behind it . #4 is a tight downhill 250' risk/reward with the lake right behind the basket . #8 is a water drive across the lake to the basket just beyond . Throw too hard to the right ( like me ) and you wind up in a 2nd lake . Play the Blue #10 . Even though it is a 330' straight up drive that plays more like 430' + , this is the "Castle" Hole , where there is a castle turret guarding an elevated basket . #11 throws downhill and over a Christmas tree farm . You might not clear it , and it is hard to find you disc ( take turns spotting ) , but after the trees , the fairway opens up more . #13 is a top of the world open drive to a green that sits in a small opening into the woods . The basket is guarded by little gullies . #18 is a great finishing hole It climbs up a grade , and over a hand made rock wall ( civil war type ) , to the basket near the pro shop .
Disc Risk - medium . You can take the water out of play in all but #8 , but there is also some rough and blind basket holes . Bring a " found " disc or 2 just for these holes .
Time - because of the popularity of Maple Hill There will be some crossing of players , that will slow you down during your round . I figure I played about 6400' of course , and it took me an hour and 30 minutes . Slow down like I did and enjoy this course . It is hard to gauge how long a group of 4 will take because of the different colors they might play . Blue ? maybe 2 1/2 hours + .
The course is magnificent and scenic . It is almost as if the land was made for fitting disc golf into .
Make sure you pack water or something to drink . Once you leave the #1 tee pad , you don't come back until finishing #18. The course pro was nice and helpful of first timers here , suggesting which course to play and giving out informative scorecards with maps on them .
They have snacks , drinks and a large selection of discs at the pro shop and a game room to chill and watch some of the players finish their round .
Cons: #1 the course scheduling - I know the way the course is configured , that there are going to be issues with players arriving at the tee pads at the same time . This is almost unavoidable . The players are cool about it and if you are in a faster group or solo , like I was , they will let you tee off with them and play on . I personally didn't mind , but there are going to be some that pay $20 on a crowded weekend that might be less happy .
#2 Turns - Oddly enough , I couldn't think of a true dogleg here . Not that it is a requirement , but some might prefer a couple .
#3 Pay To Play - Worth a mention . $10 to play all day on a weekday , and $20 to play all day on the weekends . If local , there are yearly rates for single to family . The price was worth it to me , but maybe a family of 3 or 4 visiting on a weekend might feel a bit different .
Lack of a real bathroom on Pay To Play ? Really ?!?!
Other Thoughts: I have reviewed almost 300 courses to date, several listed as a top 20 course , and have only given 1 ( Rollin Ridge ) a 5 rating ,,,,, until now . This course squeezes everything out of you , from strategy , to creativity . Challenge ? Try playing the Golds here . Just try to handle the Blues . These course are so clean and vary from color to color , that you can play a round without frustrating yourself . This is definitely a Destination Course . Forget about wish listing Maple Hill . Just come and play here . You will take a memorable hole or 2 back home with you . It just changes from hole to hole . Even though it is incredibly challenging , Maple Hill still manages to keep it fun . The Fun Factor is way up . Check out the pro shop after finishing , and hang out for a while . Watch how some of the better players work to get par on the 18th hole .Make sure you check the course homepage or check with the course before playing . Maple Hill hosts some prestigious tournaments and you don't want to waste a trip by showing up and missing a chance to play here .
My Recommendation . With its multi pads and multi pins . and color coded courses , Maple Hill eliminates most all of the reasons to keep you from playing here , even making you want to return to play a different color . A bit pricey for newbies , intros or dates , and unless a family that's disc golf crazy on weekends ( try weekday mornings/afternoons , $10 apiece ) , This is a dream world of disc golf that will cater to the locals , and intermediates thru pros . If travelers have some time and something to take their mind off of business , or only entertaining family or wife , this is an opportunity you don't want to pass up if you can find 3 hours to spare . and sits close to I-190 , I-290 and I-90 , about 45 miles out of Boston . Course Collectors will want to play here and cross this destination off their list . They can pick up The Pyramids and Pyramids Pink , right down the street and Newton Hill , a few miles away . After I have talked this course up so much , I can only advise you to PLAY IT !!!!!

It is amazing

1    6/30/2019   8/2/2019
Review By: Horsman
Pros: ***My review is based on the Gold Tees***

- Nice grippy concrete tees

- MVP black hole baskets catch just as expected, this was my first experience with them and I have no complaints.

- Beautifully maintained fairways and if you find the rough it isnt too thick.

- Fully stocked pro shop

- Hole 1 - The huge throw over the pond is one of the scariest first holes I have ever played. I can easily clear the pond but its still in your mind and its a great way to start the course.

- Hole 4 - Straight up down hill, super tight with water behind the basket. Just another tough shot that requires not only skill but the mental ability to succeed here.

- Hole 5 - Another tough skill and mental shot if you want the birdie. Hole 4 and 5 back to back are an amazing combo.

- Hole 8 - Watching this hole on video for years I always thought it was super simple but playing it was much tougher then I thought, trying to park this is a very tough touchy shot and if you go long you have a death putt.

- Hole 9 - Coming up over the crest after your first shot gives you such a beautiful look at the perfectly manicured green.

- Hole 10 - Just as much up hill as you think it is

- Hole 11 - Was much longer then I thought it was, the top pros really make it look easy.

- Hole 13 - Probably one of my favorite shots on the whole course. Just a 400' down hill shot that you just throw your straightest disc at. Watching discs here is amazing.

- Hole 14 - So picturesque, and is one of the holes on the course that you look forward to, even though you know you are probably going to throw it into the water.

- Hole 18 - This is another hole that the top pros makes look so easy. Its a lot further and more uphill then you think. Getting a 3 on this hole is an amazing score.

Cons: - Im usually not a big fan of putting baskets 10' from OB but there is always a safe way to play the hole if you dont want to take chances.

- Honestly, I cant find much of anything wrong with Maple Hill
Other Thoughts: This course is just as amazing as you think it is. This should be on every serious disc golfers hit list. I will say that it played a bit easier then I thought it would. Years of watching video has lead me to believe that I would struggle a lot more then I did during my round. I was also lucky enough to not lose a single disc. Make sure to bring some water discs with you.

1    7/1/2019   7/26/2019
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Maple Hill is one of the more commonly recognizable disc golf course names, and has been on my bucket list for some time, and it did not disappoint.

One of the most distinguishing characters here is with each round you have you choice of 1 of 4 primary layouts: red, white, blue, gold - plus a combo layout "Old Glory" that includes 6 holes from each of the red, white, and blue tees in an alternating fashion. Some of the tees are just longer or at different angles from the other colors, and some are completely alternate/parallel holes. That is a lot of tees, signs, baskets (with all in excellent shape) and designing all that must have taken an insane amount of planning. How the layouts intertwine with the others is very well-thought out, plus with the scorecard/course map that are plentiful at the clubhouse, you won't get lost. I was also amazed that with the many layouts along with many people playing, we rarely saw anyone else or had to wait.

Beautiful piece of property that gives you pretty much everything: woods, open, elevation, water on several holes. Very well groomed, mowed, no trash, clear paths, landscaping, flowers- just overall an enjoyable outdoor experience.

Holes had a nice balance and mix of anything from ace runs to par 4's. Many unique/memorable/signature holes- downhill bombs, over water shots, an island green, and #18 as a great finishing hole set-up for fans to watch during tournaments.

The pro shop is well-stocked with discs (not as good as the big well-known store just down the road), but still good. Excellent prices on food and snacks though! As I mentioned, there were plenty of scorecards neatly arranged for all the different layouts. Friendly and helpful staff.
Cons: Just a few things. My biggest is that even though there was a lot of hole variety, I actually didn't use a lot of discs and shot types. Everything was mostly straight (understand this is coming the perspective of only playing one round- Old Glory, which was recommended by the employee at the pro shop.) I think the blues and golds probably offer more variety, from what I saw of them.

Though the planning for multiple layouts is about as good as it can be, there were still a few times where we had to do some minor seeking to find the correct tee location the first time you play here, totally understandable with all they have going on here (I played one round and did the Old Glory version.)

Hole 11 (white), though a fun downhill bomb, plays over a Christmas tree farm- making even decent tee shots hard to spot and find once they land. It took my group of 4 much longer than usual to find our discs and then we only found 3/4.

Broken baskets by the parking area- are these crappy practice baskets? Decor? Not sure, gave me some doubt at first- thankfully the course itself did not resemble that first impression.

Restrooms are just a port-a-pottie. Glad it was there, but the obvious bare minimum despite having a pro shop and being pay to play.
Other Thoughts: $10 to play all day on a weekday even if only playing 1 round ($20 on the weekend). I would have liked to play a 2nd round, but its proximity to the Pyramids course made it a tough choice and we went there for our next round of the day. (I also concluded that, even though DGCR lists these 2 as being "on-site" with the other, they aren't, just real close and separate operations.) It might be a pro that these 2 places are here together, but in some ways it is kind of a con since they competed for my time and $.

Maple Hill is a very complete course/s with something suitable for all skill levels. Locals (if they want to pony up the cash each year) will enjoy lots of options and should never get bored here.

It is between 4.5-5.0 on my scale. Why not a 5.0? From what I played it lacked any real strategy or thought from beginning to end, just lots of: here is the shot (usually a straight shot) -now do it. Regardless, Maple Hill is excellent (a DGCR 4.5=Phenomenal) and should be on your list to play if in the Boston area, as it is worthy of being labeled a destination course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11