Georgetown, IN
Seviren Lang DGC Share
Uploaded By: AdamE Hole #12 (Taken 5/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
I'd love this as my home course

1    12/27/2019   12/27/2019
Review By: Orioles_Lefty
Pros: Played this course while visiting my parents in the Louisville area. Was a warm day, so played it twice. I chose Seviren from local options (having played Charlie Vettiner twice earlier in week) because years ago I played on ultimate team with co-designer, Martin Young. Wanted to see his work. Played my "round" shot from long tee when had option but tried the short concrete tees when present just to see what they offered.

*** The parking lot Google Maps leads to is near H10. The gate was closed that would take you up to the H1 parking lot. I could not tell if that was a permanent change to accommodate walking path or if merely an aspect of seasonal operations. Seemed like locals were starting on 10 as well. My comments are informed by 10-18, 1-9 order of play. There are one and possibly two practice baskets near H1 (still not sure about where 18's basket is) but none near H10 as far as I could tell.

The course was wet in places, but had not been area long enough to know what water it might be holding or why.

Much of what was said in previous reviews applies: well-maintained course; makes most of park space and elevation; nice mix of wooded and open holes.

A good, fair, rewarding, enjoyable challenge for my level -- almost exclusive LHBH 890+ rated intermediate player. The challenges include line hitting as the rough is punishing even in winter months and being out of position on holes, even in the open holes, increases the challenge and risks of the subsequent shot. On some holes this increase is fairly substantial - difference between good birdie look and no birdie look.

As I mention in the Cons there are, for my tastes, too many straight holes. That said, the course designers use angles and elevation effectively and interesting dimensions such as fast and roll-away greens, pinch points, etc.

Multiple basket design on some holes significantly change the hole while others create what amount to left and right greens. Only one basket in ground, so basket rotates. Some of the A/B baskets are not really far enough apart to really matter in terms of shot making but perhaps locals like the course variance they offer?

Comments on specific holes in Other Thoughts area.
Cons: There are a number of course holes that might not be approved in 2019 given safety concerns. As the course runs counterclockwise for most part, the risks tend to be LHBH fade risks and RHBH hyzer risks. 14 in the B position is a strong dogleg left with walkway on right. Not a big fan of throwing around a corner without good sight lines. 18 long also requires throwing over walkway that leads to 1's tee. This wasn't a problem with this parking lot not being used but still not a great design. I actually played to the practice basket near the parking lot in round 1, and then did again in R2 when I couldn't find a different basket to play to. H8 basket is near a parking lot but, again, the gate to the parking lot was closed.

I felt like I was throwing a driver (I throw nothing higher than a 9 speed disc) or a putter on most tees. There are a number of either straight or downhill putter shots: 1, 3, 7, possibly 10 (I threw mid), 17 in short. The alternate pins may change this dynamic -- just felt like a lot of straight putter shots. Other straight holes include 12 in long, 14 in short, 15 tunnel, 16 @ 1,000 ft, and 8 (uphill). That repetition of short shots solidified the 3.5 rating, and not a 4.

I really disliked hole 5, a nearly 90 degree short dogleg. Just seemed a goofy hole made out of necessity given the space available. Maybe if I threw FH better, I'd like it better.
Other Thoughts: I liked the B9 (which played as F9 given where I parked) more than intended front 9. The first five wooded holes are uneven. 1 is a fine putter shot. 2 is a great hole. Requires two really good shots to get to green (perhaps 950-rated players putt for eagle?). 3 is boring. 4 is a good hole in that it has two routes to consider and an uphill green. 5 is as described above. 6 is 1,000 ft straight, though with sloping fairway toward wood line. 7,8,9 have weird flow.

3 favorite holes:
Hole 11 -- maybe signature hole on course. Uphill tee shot over a wooded area that can collect low discs. Hole was set in short position but, in second round, I went ahead and played to the long basket -- which required an uphill to downhill right-to-left tunnel shot, with runaway green. No basket, so I didn't putt, but would have been putting for par from circle's edge. Great view from short basket, if turn back toward tee. Took a picture there.

Hole 2 -- Almost a cut above, in good way, in terms of challenge compared with rest of course. Tight wooded fairway moving sharply to the right and then uphill slightly to very tight green. Fairway has pinch sides approaching green, so requires hitting two lines to be putting for birdie. Short par 4, but punishing if on either left or right of fairway, and especially right short of fairway bend.

Hole 16. Par 4, uphill from long tee into a tunnel, then on second shot (for my 300-foot arm) downhill through pinch point to guarded green (basket in longer position). tough birdie. I didn't get it either time.

3 Least Favorite Holes:

Hole 5 -- as described above. Yuck.

Hole 8 -- Kind of a filler hole. Go downhill on 7 and 9, so have to get back up hill from 7 to play 9. Probably harder RHBH given tree and mando but boring played LHBH.

Hole 3 -- the most boring of the straight putter holes. Kind of an obstructed tee of sorts, but that added nothing to hole.

Other hole comments:

I wonder what 13 played like when the course was designed compared to now. The second shot requires navigating a very large clump of trees across most of the fairway and then the green has evergreen trees around it in places. The map does not show the left hyzer line (LHBH) as a designed option. This line, if it is a line, requires hitting a narrow gap while possibly turning the disc over OB to clear this large clump and need distance to clear evergreen guardian trees. On the designed line, the hole plays LHBH hyzer then turnover. Opposite for RH. RHFH and then big RH hyzer is probably easiest route. The hole would benefit from some line clearing.

I'm still not sure if I played to the right basket on 18.

A few final "enjoyment" thoughts that did not affect me but worth mentioning:

The off-fairway rough was punishing to both scramble shots and to the body (thorns!) even in December. In summer it could be a real challenge/frustration.

I would call some of the Par 4s "soft" but I am not good enough for it to matter to my round. Just a design comment.

The busier the walking path is, the more disruption your round will likely encounter. Doesn't impact a ton of holes, but is a factor on a few.

If you are a 875+ player, I'd pass on the short tees. A few holes have second concrete tees and others have rubber pads (that seem to have been deserted in terms of upkeep). All of the long tees are more interesting. The short tees don't have tee signs.

****
My rounds played quickly though the layout requires a fair amount of walking. No transitions are too long -- it's just a course that covers the park perimeter so asks a fair amount of walking.

If I lived in Southern Indiana, I'd play this course all the time. Really good course for practicing hitting desired landing spots and wooded lines and navigating obstructed and runaway greens.

Seviren Lang Thang

1    10/24/2016   12/1/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Seviren Lang DGC in Georgetown offers a pretty stout test for the average player, but if you are on your game and have a little luck, cracking par seems achievable. I only played one round, and left with a 64 (+3). This is a longer course, especially if you use the long tees. The fairways are open and grassy on some holes, and more direct lines through trees on some. A bit of elevation change here and there adds another dimension of fun. There are concrete tees with signs, and nice baskets with multiple pin positions. If you like to throw long, there is a 1000'+ hole for you, along with a couple of other big drive opportunities. If you like distance with dense woods, there are a couple of those also. A few shorter and mid range holes with varied shapes, and looks from open to wooded. Not a lot of water, but not out of the question. Some OB, and residential areas lining two fairways. Hole 1 is a fun opener, but short and sweet. 2 gets real. Fast. Longer and thick woods with a hard dogleg right. I also liked 3 and 4 pretty well. 5 is a short an simple putter throw, I aimed for the wrong target first, the practice basket directly in front of the tee. Made a great throw at the wrong target. 6 is the monster, super long but mostly open. 7 is downhill and open until a small gap in a line of trees that protect the green, and I thought is was a fun drive. 8 is a fairly easy hole, but I missed the birdie putt. 9 is fun and 10 is ok, but 11 was one of my favorites. There was some elevation, some distance, and groves of trees that steer you from one end to the other. 12 is another good drive that is a liner through the trees. 13 is kind of long, giving you airspace to throw hard, but still requires some guidance to hit the proper landing zones. 14 is good enough, and 15 is another nice tunnel sort of drive. 16 I really liked, as well. It is another lengthy hole, that winds a bit across gentle elevation change, and the pin is tucked in a tricky little pocket of trees. 17 is another really cool hole. A two here will take a great drive, and/or a nice putt. 18 is another long one, but a dogleg left this time, with more trees as you approach the basket.
Cons: The layout was a little funky, and I had to do a bit of exploring to find my way once or twice. I actually parked in the wrong place and began at hole 10 but everything worked out fine. I thought one or two holes were maybe a bit bland, but do offer some chances to make up shots with an easy birdie or two. May have to wait on other park goers walking near the course occasionally.
Other Thoughts: The first hole gave me a birdie, and I took another with a good drive on 4, but they were not terribly difficult. I was more impressed when my nearly perfect drive on 7 got the right bounce to bless me with a bird there. As nice as that was, I took 3 bogies on the front 9 and 3 more on the back. At least I enjoyed the ride. I would recommend Seviren Lang pretty highly. It was a really solid course in a nice, clean park. Those who play it regularly and take care of it are doing a very nice job maintaining it. Work was going on at hole 18 the afternoon I visited, and the guys there seemed cool, and gladly pointed me to the next hole when I asked for a little help.

3.75...not quite a 4

1    9/19/2016   9/27/2016
Review By: discNDav
Pros: Close to I-64 when on a road trip. Very well maintained and manicured park; the grass was being cut along with weed whacking / trimming by the grounds crew while I was playing on a Monday morning.

Cement tees on the long tees. Trash buckets at each tee sign. Good Mach 5 baskets. A variety of shots were required, from fairly tight wooded holes to a 1011 foot monster open hole #6. Good use of elevation change incorporated into the course which is important to me.

Hole #7 is a beautiful down hill shot. Hole #11 is a signature hole here with a uphill shot over a tree line, uphill some more to a well protected basket, par 4, loved it! I liked the look of #12 but played it poorly. #16 good par 4.

The cut rubber mats directly under the baskets were a nice touch, it prevents erosion and is easy to mow around.
Cons: Finding tee #1 was tricky even though I saw the red arrows, it could still be marked better. I found #2 and #18 before finding #1.

The first 5 wooded holes were through some very tight woods.

The flow between 7, 8 and 9 didn't feel natural. I expected to cross the road after 7 but the course goes back uphill for #8 and backtracks past basket #6 before you find tee #9.

#15 tunnel shot, hated it.
Other Thoughts: This course shines on the back nine. I drove over an hour out of the way because of others I knew highly recommended it, I was disappointed until it opened up on hole 6. Again, props to the landscaping done on the course!

I'm a tough reviewer and can see why others see it as a 4 star course.

Classic course

1    9/4/2016   9/4/2016
Review By: gcoghill
This review was updated on 9/21/2016
Pros: Clean, manicured scenic park. Exclusive course land. Excellent signage. Decent course flow. Good mix of hole types, throw challenges and skill levels. Very easy to access from the highway.
Cons: Course gets a bit bland on the back nine. Some needless fairway overlap on the back nine as well.
Other Thoughts: The course has a lot going for it, and you can tell it was designed by experienced disc golfers. The park setting is beautiful and well-maintained.

The first 5 holes are really superb and set the stage with some excellent technical wooded fairways. Hole 6 felt a bit ridiculous to me at 1100 feet. The backtracking for hole 8 and back to hole 9 felt weird.

The back nine started getting a bit bland, with a few holes just hugging the park drive and were little more than gap-fillers. A couple good technical holes though. For some weird reason, the basket for 18 was placed crossing the path one would take from the parking lot to the tee for hole 1, when it could have easily been placed without that overlap (a mere 20 foot difference).

I'm not a fan of asphalt-hugger courses in general. If I can see my car for most of the round, it's not my kind of course.

This is a nice course. It was fun to play, easy to navigate and enjoyable the entire round. Unfortunately, all the personality it built up on the front nine slowly drained out by the time you got to 18.

This is a model for what multi-use park disc golf courses should be like. I'm not sure much else could be done with the land to offer up signature holes or anything else that would make this course exceptional, but it's no doubt a good course and hits most of the marks.

I played Severin along with Iroquois Park and Charlie Vettiner while I was in the Louisville area. Without hesitation I'd recommend Severin if you had to choose one. It's not a destination course, but it's so easy to access from the highway that it's a definite course to play if you're in the area or traveling through. The 4+ rating here is definitely overinflated.

Great Course

1    5/13/2016   5/15/2016
Review By: ajbova
Pros: Course is in the back of a mixed use park that includes baseball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, and a soccer field. Course does not interfere with those courts. Course is an intermediate to advance level course. Not very beginner friendly but would definitely teach someone accuracy.

Baskets - 18 Mach 5 baskets that catch great. Did not have any issues with spit outs. There are also 2 practice baskets on site. Each hole has an A and a B pin position which actually has the current location marked on the sign. Basket locations can drastically change the hole.

Tees - At least 1 concrete tee per hole. There are several holes that have a shorter tee which is a rubber mat. Hole 6 has 3 tees. Concrete tees were grippy. Some of the rubber mats were a little slick.

Signs - Signs include map, distance, par, hole number, basket locations (marked with a washer), as well as the location to the next tee. There was also a course map at the start of the course. There were signs throughout the course pointing to the next hole if it was ever in question.

Variety - This course has a great mix of short and technical shots as well as open bombers. There were several tunnel shots and a few thread the needle shots. Course has it all. Uphill, downhill, valley, wooded, and wide open shots. There were several blind shots due to elevation and woods.

There were bridges when needed!

There were benches or stumps as well as trans cans at every concrete tee.

Course was very clean and spread out.

Easy to get to. Not many nearby options for courses.
Cons: Not many cons that I can think of.

Course could use concrete tees for the alternate tees as opposed to the rubber mats. Rubber tees were a little slick and some of them were not in the best shape.

Signs at the alternate tees would be nice as well.

I noticed there was a tick on me as I was leaving the course!
Other Thoughts: I really loved this course. It is definitely a challenging course and it was well maintained. I am from Indy and wish this course or one similar was in Indy. There are a few that are close but just not the same. Several holes at this course reminded me of some of the holes in Charlotte. It was a nice change of pace. It was my 4th course of the day and by far my favorite.

One of the Best

5+    8/9/2016   5/10/2016
Review By: TheThoughtNinja
This review was updated on 8/15/2016
Pros: This course is amazing! Located at the back of Garry Cavan park, Seviren Lang DGC is a real treat.

Rolling hills are the framework for (in my opinion) the best course around. Each hole presents a unique, difficult challenge. The first five are the most wooded and shorter than most of the others. Six, a 1011' hole, is wide open--except for the expertly placed trees at the end of the fairway. Seven through nine and eleven, fourteen, and eighteen go up and down the hilly landscape on sometimes-tricky lines. Twelve, fifteen, and seventeen are great tunnels (two downhill and one across an unforgiving ridge). Thirteen and sixteen demand accuracy and distance (more so than the others) to master. Ten, the only 'filler' hole, is still enjoyable because it's a break from the challenge of the others.

The course is well-maintained, being mowed often. There's an annual tournament here, and it always puts the great upkeep into overdrive. Most holes have small trash bins and a few have benches. The tees signs have been updated since they were put on this site and now look even better. They now include elevation change as well. Each tee has a marker indicating in which placement the basket is currently. All the pro tees are concrete and are sufficiently large, as well as level. Mandatories are clearly marked, and no out-of-bounds is silly--the course relies on natural obstacles for its difficulty.

Restrooms, water fountains, and a shelter house are all present. There are also two practice baskets at the parking lot.

A league meets at the park on Thursdays.
Cons: The amateur tees are rubber mats which are unlevel and probably not too grippy.

A few of the wooded holes may be muddy after rains.

There have been reports of car robberies at the parking lot. A policeman does patrol the course at times, and I have never seen any "sketchy" people, though.

Some players may find this course discouragingly challenging. I am not that good of a player, but I enjoy the challenge.
Other Thoughts: Hole sixteen is my favorite. It goes across a gentle slope, around some large patches of trees, before entering an "evergreen gateway" to the "end circle." Cool!

When Barry Schultz played this course in 2013, he said it was definitely in his top ten list and he would be glad to play it again soon. His testimony verifies my belief that it couldn't get much better!

Awesome Course

2-4    5/11/2014   5/13/2014
Review By: Joel138
Pros: Challenging course. A great mix of hole locations and different types of shots needed. Very well kept up course and a lot of fun to play.
Cons: Placement is huge! As an Am 3 player I wish I had a forehand shot. Would have lowered my score. Not much negative other then to say it's a tough course. Don't expect a record low.

Watch out for ticks in some of the rough, our group had about 10 ticks between 3 people from the woods on hole 10.
Other Thoughts: Holes that I loved...
1 - short but fun hole that required a nice mid range shot.
8 - Not easy, but a fun well place pin spot makes an interesting hole.
10 - An easy hole, the only one I birdied twice in the tournament :)

This is a great course, tough but a blast to play. As a disc golfer this had to be one of my top 20 course I have ever played.

Gem in Georgetown

2-4    5/3/2014   5/4/2014
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
Pros: Seviren Lang is a very nice park in a residential area. You can be at the course in less than 5 minutes from the exit at I-64. There was plenty of parking and a nice practice area and basket near the parking lot. Just looking at the baskets as we were driving in to the park, I wasn't all that impressed with what I saw.. that soon changed.

The course has very nice concrete tee pads that had very good grip.

Most of the holes have places to sit and trash cans are available.

The Mach 5 baskets were all in good shape and the areas around the baskets was well groomed.
The hole signs were top notch. They gave a very accurate yardage of the hole and the different basket placement. Each sign does have a marker to tell you if the basket is in "A" or "B". You might want to check just to make sure.
The next tee signs make navigation VERY easy on this course. This was my first time to the course and I had no problems at all.

The course starts in the woods. Holes 1-5 are in what I would call moderately wooded. most of them are very short but require PRECISE shots to make birdies. I needed a straight shot, a large anny/forehand, a big hyzer and a power fade just to play those holes.

The course opens up big time next few holes. Most of the time open means easy. Not here. You will need distance and the ability to work your disc to make birdies. Alot of the open holes have very tricky approaches. (Slopes, Ledges or Fall Offs)

Holes 12-18 would be lightly wooded but are very difficult closing holes.

Some holes that stuck out to me...

Hole #5 - It's an easy hyzer that needs to go about 150 ft out and about 60 feet left. Make the shot and it's and easy duece. Miss the opening and 5 comes into play REALLY quickly.

Hole #6 - Anytime you get to chuck it 1011 ft into the wind, it has to be memorable. There are only a couple of trees that come into play on the entire hole, but they are VERY well placed to catch your approach shots.

Hole 11a- It's an uphill hyzer to an open area. The appoach shot was a 250 ft very tight hyzer to a well tucked basket. You will need to put your drive in the right spot to have any run at the basket.

Hole 13- I have a love/hate for this hole. It seems so simple, but it beat me up both times I played it. We were playing in a right to left cross wind at about 20 mph and it made the tee shot extremely difficult. The hole looks so easy, yet it beat me up pretty good.

Cons: There are a couple of places where you do have to go back across another hole. Just beware and it's not really a problem.
Other Thoughts: This is a course that offers just about everything. When you stand on each of the tees, you can see what needs to be done. There are no real tricks or gimmicks to the holes. I have never played a course that seemed more open, but yet you HAD to work the disc to score well. This course frustrated me like very few have, but I would play it again anytime. You can see the work that has been put into the course. The holes are extremely well thought out and the maint. was top notch. This place is truly a gem.

The best

5+    4/10/2014   4/10/2014
Review By: connorfinn4
Pros: Great course for the pro level. Big variety of all different kinds of shots. It has open holes and wooded holes. This course tests your Acuracy as well as your distance.
Cons: It is fun and great to compete on for the ams. Not the best course for beginners and players who can't throw as far.
Other Thoughts: I have played many courses throughout the country and this is defffentily in my favorites. Not only is the course challenging and fun to play on but it is also a really beautiful course.

Very Solid, Very Clean, Very Balanced

1    9/28/2013   10/5/2013
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Seviren Lang is set in a nice residential area that has plenty of parking space, a restroom, and a practice basket near the first tee. While the park does have multiple pavilions and playgrounds, it feels that the course is the main attraction. The park is very clean and well manicured, and there are trash cans throughout the course. There are multiple bridges and even a set of stairs to make your walking a little more comfortable.

The signage is superb here, with arrows pointing you in the right direction on multiple occasions. The navigation flows well and you can get along fine without using a map. There is just one part that can be a little confusing (see cons). The tee signs are fantastic and tell you pars, hole lengths, the pin position, and point you to the next tee. The concrete tees and Mach 5 baskets are in good shape.

This is a very balanced and technical course with a well thought-out layout. True par 4's and a par 5! It starts out with some tight shots in the woods, opens up more for the middle holes, and ends with semi-open, technical holes. A great variation of hole distances are present (ranging from 200-1,000 feet) and the little elevation that the park has is used to its maximum potential. The pin positions are very well thought out and add a challenge being behind a set of trees (1,2, 7, and 17), on a slope (8, 13, 14, and 15), and through a tight window (5, 11, 16, 18). These help make some of the more straight-forward holes more exciting. There is also a great mix a hyzer, anhyzer, and straight tunnel-shots, as well as multiple holes that require a hyzer, then anhyzer or vice versa (11, 13, 16, and 18). These long technical holes are what make this course special.
Cons: -While there are multiple tees for each hole, the am. tees are very short and sometimes hard to spot. The pro tees - while in great shape - are too short in my opinion as well.
-Going from 6-7 can be a little confusing, as 9's tee is near 6's basket. I mistakenly walked to 9 first before realizing 7 was to the right not to the left like 9.
-There are multiple simple, straight-forward holes. You may argue that that's what gives this course such great balance, and I would tend to agree with that approach. Because this course is so technical, it needs a few holes that do give you some room for error. However, there are a few holes too many that are open or some that I would even call boring, when comparing to the rest of the course's standard.
Other Thoughts: It is hard to give a course with so little cons "only" a 4 rating. This course is so solid and super clean. Much attention to detail has been given by way of navigation and pin placement. However, as I said, about 1/3 of the holes significantly don't match up to the rest of the course's standard. I loved the wooded holes at the beginning, and the long, technical holes that played through patches of trees. There are simply too many filler holes here though, holes that don't have a lot of character. Holes like 6-10 and 14 are pretty basic, but I do believe the designers use them to their maximum potential. Just a little bit of drop off. My favorite holes here were:

1 - Very tight, straight shot in the woods with a challenging pin position behind trees
2 - Pretty similar as 1, but with a pretty sharp anhyzer
11 - This sets the tone for the rest of the course. Throw a hyzer through a tight window (don't want to get in the rough here) and then a gradual uphill shot to the basket, which is in a tight spot within trees.
13 - Extreme anny then you have to throw through patches of trees to a basket on top of the slope. One of the great anhyzer then hyzer holes on the course.
15 - My favorite of the many tunnel shots in this course, because of the steep slopes on both sides and it's visual striking appearance.

< Prev 1 2 3 4