• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] 10 speed 6 glide

So can somebody tell me the difference between a glide of 5 and a glide of 6?

I always thought it was funny that Innova would describe a disc with a 4 rating as having "amazing glide".

A 135g fission tesla has crazy glide when measured with the glideometer.

But like Quantum Physics, the glide properties change when one tries to measure them.

So can somebody tell me the difference between a glide of 5 and a glide of 6?

The glide 6 is one unit of glide higher, a.k.a. more glidey.

I always thought it was funny that Innova would describe a disc with a 4 rating as having "amazing glide".

A 3,4,x,x disc is high glide. A 9,4,x,x... not so much....

As to Innova's marketing license... we're back to quantum physics again...

True, PMantle. Again, the flight ratings are and have always been very subjective. Example, I find that PDs have solid glide at a "4" yet I have a Leopard 3 that I got from a tournament that I swear has no glide. It doesn't fade hard, it doesn't turn, it just loses altitude and settles to the ground quicker than I'd ever expect.

But like Quantum Physics, the glide properties change when one tries to measure them.

The glide 6 is one unit of glide higher, a.k.a. more glidey.

A 3,4,x,x disc is high glide. A 9,4,x,x... not so much....

As to Innova's marketing license... we're back to quantum physics again...

Exactly how many feet are there in a unit of glide?

But did you hear him. He said it was 1 higher.

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

Also sometimes things go up Base 10 per unit, not one single unit. Example, the richter scale.

If that was the case a Saint would go like 600 feet for a casual.

These discussions remind me that Discraft's simplistic rating system has its merits. I think it would be perfect with the addition of speed. I have no use for a glide rating, although it's something I do notice when throwing a disc.

Whenever I pick up a driver, I already know it's at least a 4 on the glide scale (unless it's something designed to have meathook properties). 5 versus 4 means almost nothing to me, and to see a 6 would only strike me as a marketing gimmick, much like the whole silly "race to speed 14!" thing.

Some discs have that extra glide factor, but I have to throw it to believe it. Assigning an integer for a disc's glide does seem arbitrary to me as well...

I feel like I would answer any question with the same answer these days, but the answer is Thunderbird. I love the glide on it.

But I feel like if you would have said, "I need a really glidey putter", I would have said, "Thunderbird." :)