• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

16th ND State Championships - A Tier - Sept 4-6th

On the second day, I opened with 20 strokes in two holes, lol! Later in the round, I gained the sweet story of my 5 consecutive ob strokes on 12 to card a 13. I heard of a 21 on the Candycane hole, but no one topped the record of 24 or so.

Was awesome watching all three on the top Open card land the green in 2 on the candycane/island hole. Pretty sure I carded a double OB 7 on the final round and nothing lower than that in any of the rounds.

Just for reference, what was course par set at for each round?

All rounds had an SSA of 66+. I think first round was par 66, but it went up to 68 for round 2. Then I think it went up another stroke or two for the third/final round. Peter Mcbride shot a 1070 rated round of 56 on the par 66 round 1...making it close to the top 10 rounds ever recorded for a SSA>66. This was one tough layout and is comparable to the USDGC with OB everywhere.

All rounds had an SSA of 66+. I think first round was par 66, but it went up to 68 for round 2. Then I think it went up another stroke or two for the third/final round. Peter Mcbride shot a 1070 rated round of 56 on the par 66 round 1...making it close to the top 10 rounds ever recorded for a SSA>66. This was one tough layout and is comparable to the USDGC with OB everywhere.

Dang, that's some gnar sh*t! That is crazy good shooting. Was pulling for CD as he's a Montanan but that is hard to keep up with. Happy I didn't tag along the way I've been playing :\

Great tourney, great course. Most fun I've had in a long time. Thanks Darrell for putting on a great time!

Hey, another cardmate from the third round! Glad you could make it down, hope I can get up to a tourney up there sometime soon.

As for video there wasn't much of a chance to get a full round covered as there were only about 70 golfers and not many spectators...and by the time the first cards finished their round the top open card had already tee'd off. I was fortunate enough to catch the last 5 holes but the above video is as close as we'll get. Unfortunately next years tourney won't be held at this course...and where it will be is yet TBD.

Unfortunately next years tourney won't be held at this course...and where it will be is yet TBD.
Really hoping they do Jamestown Reservoir next year. I'd love to get my drone out there for EPIC footage.

I hope so too, but that course has been neglected from what I hear. The last ND States I played was held there...quite a few years ago now. Darrell mentioned that he thought it would be in GF or Fargo...but depends on who steps up I suppose. Not that I don't like Fargo or GF courses but I'd be much happier with it at Jamestown...tougher challenge. We need to play a hilly course like Jamestown IMO to separate the field like the distance/OB did with Paterson Lake last weekend. If you have the drone, you must be Joey? If so, thanks for that footage...really helpful in scouting courses...especially since it'd been 6-7 years since I played Paterson.

If you have the drone, you must be Joey? If so, thanks for that footage...really helpful in scouting courses...especially since it'd been 6-7 years since I played Paterson.
nope. i do media production work in fargo and just want an excuse to steal some gear from work for a weekend. ;)

Just for reference, what was course par set at for each round?

Round 1 - Par = 67 - 9119'
Roudn 2 - Par = 69 - 9538'
Round 3 - Par = 72 - 10927'

From preliminary ratings - the course SSA closely matched the assigned par for the 1st two rounds.

The last day (round 3) looks like the assigned course par was low. As looks like SSA was around 78. However, we had a 20-30 mph wind that is attributable to most of that discrepancy. Believe in non-windy conditions 72 for pro par would've been appropriate.

Really hoping they do Jamestown Reservoir next year. I'd love to get my drone out there for EPIC footage.

Unlikely that the Reservoir course at Jamestown will ever hold a state championship event again. The area saw multiple years of flooding and at least 6 baskets are completely rusted due to sitting in the water for months at a time, they've also lost numerous trees and have had a couple of baskets stolen.

When I designed the 27 holes and we implemented with the great help of Doug Hogan and JPR back about 10 years ago, one of the things that I stressed to the Stutsman County Park Board (which is the maintenance/operations entity) was the need to properly maintain and mow the area of the design. They (the Stutsman County Park Board members) all agreed it would be no problem. I should mention that Jamestown Parks and Rec (Doug Hogan) went above and beyond to help get the course in even though he didn't have a dog in the fight, but he bent over backwards to help make the course a reality. The true reality is that Stutsman County Park Board, has never mowed it correctly. They barely have done anything other than what they were already doing for the other park user on the island. If it hadn't been for the help of JPR (Doug Hogan) supplying equipment for us to mow it, it probably never would've even gotten implemented. I, along with Brandon Balzer's help, mowed it 2 or 3 times correctly, and Chris Witkop also did it once and I think even Charles Sullivan did it once in the early years in order to be able to run tournaments. Unfortunately the best stretch of holes on that course is 13-19 and the Park Board has never mowed it (other than a narrow walking path).

In retrospect, I probably should've toned it back and only have done 18 holes completely on the island portion - which still would've been a killer course. I heard Tom is planning on running something out there in a week or two. But with all the trees gone on 10-11-12, 21 and 25, it definitely isn't the same epic course.

It is in such run-down shape that Joey and I have actually asked the PDGA to remove it from the list of courses in the directory - I don't know why they haven't, but they should. It is an embarrassment to see what was such a great course in such sad shape.

Round 1 - Par = 67 - 9119'
Roudn 2 - Par = 69 - 9538'
Round 3 - Par = 72 - 10927'

From preliminary ratings - the course SSA closely matched the assigned par for the 1st two rounds.

The last day (round 3) looks like the assigned course par was low. As looks like SSA was around 78. However, we had a 20-30 mph wind that is attributable to most of that discrepancy. Believe in non-windy conditions 72 for pro par would've been appropriate.

Par that matches SSA is a lot better than most pars out there. However, true par, according to the definition, should be lower than SSA. SSA includes OB, other penalties, and too much wind. Par does not.

It looks like SSA was about 67, 71, and 79. I might have gone with pars of 62, 63, and 74. Hard to tell with so few players. Might be able to pin it down more with hole-by-hole scores.

Unlikely that the Reservoir course at Jamestown will ever hold a state championship event again. The area saw multiple years of flooding and at least 6 baskets are completely rusted due to sitting in the water for months at a time, they've also lost numerous trees and have had a couple of baskets stolen.

When I designed the 27 holes and we implemented with the great help of Doug Hogan and JPR back about 10 years ago, one of the things that I stressed to the Stutsman County Park Board (which is the maintenance/operations entity) was the need to properly maintain and mow the area of the design. They (the Stutsman County Park Board members) all agreed it would be no problem. I should mention that Jamestown Parks and Rec (Doug Hogan) went above and beyond to help get the course in even though he didn't have a dog in the fight, but he bent over backwards to help make the course a reality. The true reality is that Stutsman County Park Board, has never mowed it correctly. They barely have done anything other than what they were already doing for the other park user on the island. If it hadn't been for the help of JPR (Doug Hogan) supplying equipment for us to mow it, it probably never would've even gotten implemented. I, along with Brandon Balzer's help, mowed it 2 or 3 times correctly, and Chris Witkop also did it once and I think even Charles Sullivan did it once in the early years in order to be able to run tournaments. Unfortunately the best stretch of holes on that course is 13-19 and the Park Board has never mowed it (other than a narrow walking path).

In retrospect, I probably should've toned it back and only have done 18 holes completely on the island portion - which still would've been a killer course. I heard Tom is planning on running something out there in a week or two. But with all the trees gone on 10-11-12, 21 and 25, it definitely isn't the same epic course.

It is in such run-down shape that Joey and I have actually asked the PDGA to remove it from the list of courses in the directory - I don't know why they haven't, but they should. It is an embarrassment to see what was such a great course in such sad shape.

It's too bad really, your team did a great job (played the 2007 two rivers/surface of the sun open there) and i'm forever a fan of any course you've had a hand in.

Is that 9000-10000 feet for an 18 hole layout?

Anyone know what USDGC is?

And why in the hell wouldn't you have the states their again?

About the Reservoir course in Jamestown.

All three of the stolen baskets have been replaced. And it is being maintained slightly better this year than last.

I wasn't here when the course was put in but when I got involved and before the flooding there were a lot of us that did what we could to maintain parts of the course but without the proper equipment it was nearly impossible. I don't know why we weren't able to use the parks and rec equipment. At that point we actually had a league of sorts and a decent number of people who cared enough to do work. And when Charles ran his tournament he did fix up most of the course—with help from a few of us—and got chastised by the players for it because he used tournament funds to do it.

The rusting baskets are not exclusively caused by being under water; some of the worst baskets have never been under water. I suspect that the chemicals from the flooded fields evaporating had a lot to do with the rusting. Flooding in Jamestown was not like the flooding in Fargo. In Fargo the river rose and then went away. The reservoir, as intended, held the flood waters for 3 months three years in a row.

Now there is no organized disc golf in Jamestown. The number locals who play the island is very small and the number of people who are willing to do work is even smaller. It has been maintained a little better this year but honestly I don't think it is worth it for the park department to put in the labor to maintain the course for the four people who may actually play it.

I am very disappointed with it all too but the last times I tried to find anyone to organize a work weekend to improve the course no one was interested. I got busy with other things and gave up. Neglect, Flooding and time have a resulted in a course that will never again be what it was.

My wife and I try to play it at least once a week and we are making plans to do some work but because we live in an apartment we do not have the tools required readily available. But I have never seen anyone else out there playing. I think the baskets that are salvageable—I am not sure exactly how many aren't rusted—should be used at a course that would actually get played. I know it is not likely but McElroy park in Jamestown would be a nice area.

And I agree that it is very embarrassing. It feels like it is all our (the locals) fault for losing this magnificent course. How many other courses are only playable if the locals mow it regularly? Not that it matters now.

Mandan Parks and Rec keeps the course there neatly mowed all summer long...if we'd put concrete tees in we'd have much more useage i'd guess. But any work outside of that we must do or request it (which takes longer exponentially).

Is that 9000-10000 feet for an 18 hole layout?

Anyone know what USDGC is?

And why in the hell wouldn't you have the states their again?

Yes, 18 hole layout...USDGC is 9896ft. Not 100% sure of WHY, but Darrell is a family man and this years tourney took a lot of time away from that i'd guess. I did however hear Peter Mcbride, Christian Dietrich, and Tim McGill groan and say the same thing when Darrell mentioned that it would not be held at Paterson Lake next year. They liked the challenge and said great things about the course. Mcbride said it's in his list of top courses now. Regardless, it's up in the air still...no idea where it will be next year yet.