• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2/20/2020 Wysocki Returns

I do not agree with Ricky's decision, but respect his right to do what he wants to his own body
I do agree with some of what's being said here, but do not respect the abuse of the right to say so.

What I've seen sustained over the last few months basically amounts to internet bullying. It reminds me of when kids would gang up on the one Jehovahs Witness kid in public school. Most of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

What comments should cause us shame? Looks to me like he's mostly being criticized fairly, and that people are kind of holding back out of respect or cracking a joke for the sake of levity.

Home schooled with religious convictions. So his choices are not unexpected.

Chuck,
That is an uninformed gross generalization.
I'm a little surprised coming from you.

Let me assure everyone, kids coming from home schools for religious reasons don't hate doctors.
Some do, sure.
But PLEASE people, stop with the gross generalizations.
I know quite a few religious home schoolers parents, and every one of them takes their kids to the doctor.
\ rant

What comments should cause us shame? Looks to me like he's mostly being criticized fairly, and that people are kind of holding back out of respect or cracking a joke for the sake of levity.

Ribbing someone a few times is not the same thing as blowing them up on social media for over half a year. I see no reason to defend that.

Nobody on the internet is causing Ricky more damage than he's causing himself by eschewing appropriate treatment.

You know the old saying:
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Lyme disease can cause permanent neurological damage if not addressed by modern medical standards.

Chuck,

Let me assure everyone, kids coming from home schools for religious reasons don't hate doctors.
Some do, sure.
I know quite a few religious home schoolers parents, and every one of them takes their kids to the doctor.
\ rant

Homeschool grad here (parents homeschooled for religious reasons): I am a business manager at our university health system. I work with doctors, see doctors for health issues and my homeschooled children see doctors too. Continued rant over. :hfive:

However, that "professional" that is consulting Ricky? That's a different story.

I hear you. But, Ricky seems to have completely bought in, and he is normalizing taking this route, and I think that's dangerous. I think Ricky seems like a good person, but he is acting really irresponsibly.

Interesting part of the interview -- he says he took doxycycline for a finger infection around the same time he would have been infected with lime, and his nutritionist seems to have told him that that should have knocked out the Lyme if it was going to work. He's correct that that is the same antibiotic he would have taken for Lyme, but he probably took a smaller dose over a shorter period of time. I was on doxy for about two months. It wasn't pleasant, but it worked.

"Yes, I believe that once a person contracts Lyme, it stays in their body forever." -- Ricky's nutritionist. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. This is so offensive.

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/diseases-conditions/chronic-lyme-disease

Has NIAID looked at whether infection persists after antibiotic therapy?

Several recent studies suggest that B. burgdorferi may persist in animals after antibiotic therapy. In one study, NIAID-supported scientists found that remnants of B. burgdorferi remained in mice after antibiotic treatment. Another team of NIAID-supported investigators found that intact B. burgdorferi persist in nonhuman primates after antibiotic treatment. It was not possible to culture these bacteria and it is not clear whether they are infectious. More recent work by Hodzic et al. replicated the earlier finding of persisting DNA but non-cultivatable B. burgdorferi after antibiotic treatment using a mouse model. In 2017, scientists at the Tulane National Primate Research Centers, funded in part by an NIH research resources grant, reported evidence of persistent and metabolically active B. burgdorferi after antibiotic treatment in rhesus macaques.

In a first-of-its-kind study for Lyme disease, NIAID-supported researchers have used live, disease-free ticks to see if Lyme disease bacteria can be detected in people who continue to experience symptoms such as fatigue or arthritis after completing antibiotic therapy). This study remains underway.

NIAID has not limited its efforts to animal studies, and researchers have proposed the existence of drug-tolerant, persistor cells of B. burgdorferi in cell cultures. Additional research is needed and continues to be supported by NIAID to learn more about persistent infection in cell culture and animal models and its potential implication for human disease.

Content last reviewed on November 21, 2018

Nobody on the internet is causing Ricky more damage than he's causing himself by eschewing appropriate treatment.

Well that settles it then, since we aren't literally assaulting him, anything goes.
Harassment will do lasting damages to people's well-being, and sustained duress eventually leads to trauma symptoms.

Home schooled with religious convictions. So his choices are not unexpected.
We homeschool our kids and have 'religious convictions' too, but also think God uses doctors for a reason! This isn't an inconvenience we are dealing with here, its potentially career-ending. See a doc, Rick. At least get that opinion, THEN decide. But please don't leave a qualified doc out of your recovery protocol.

Chuck,

Some do, sure.
\ rant
I merely said his choices were not unexpected, not a mandate. However, Ricky is known to have stated religious convictions biased toward homeopathic solutions.

Chuck,
Perhaps I was a little harsh, I apologize.
My frustration came through, more loudly than was necessary.

Anyways, I hope my point was clear:

Ricky is making these choices not because he was home schooled for religious reasons.
He's making these choices because he was raised by parents who apparently don't like doctors.

Chuck,
Perhaps I was a little harsh, I apologize.
My frustration came through, more loudly than was necessary.

Anyways, I hope my point was clear:

Ricky is making these choices not because he was home schooled for religious reasons.
He's making these choices because he was raised by parents who apparently don't like doctors.
I wish I had access to the actual quotes last fall but pretty sure Ricky explicitly stated religious convictions were the foundation of his choices which presumably his family has held. I agree there was no need to connect that point of view specifically with home schooling.

Untreated Lymes Disease can lead to neurological disorders, but yes, please tell us more.

Pretty much everybody here is aware of that at this point.

This thread is about Ricky and his return, and I am specifically addressing the environment he is returning to. I feel bad for him. He has to deal with the illness he has contracted, and he has to deal with the mob of angry "fans" waiting for him if he turns on his phone. Internet bullying is an epidemic, and I am taking the time to explain that I am disappointed in my peers here and in other corners of the community. I am also partially at fault, I got on him back in October, but this is getting ridiculous at this point. It's not our call what he does, and it's not our job to tell him what to do.

My point is this. It is dangerous to have an example where someone is intentionally eschewing modern scientific practice. Lyme Disease is serious stuff. This isn't a laughing matter. However, that interview was laughable. I feel like he is being stubborn, and he dug in on this choice so he won't ever get the help he so desperately needs. I have talked to several very educated people in the medical industry about this. Unanimously they said Lyme cannot be treated holistically and that it is dangerous for him not to seek help. Not to mention what a simple Google search will tell you. He needs to GET HELP. He is an absolutely filthy disc golfer, we are better with Rick in the game than not. He is an unreal talent, but that doesn't exclude him from criticism in this matter. I don't think anyone has gone to the bullying level that I have seen. However, people that support him need to realize you may be hurting him instead of helping.

I wish I had access to the actual quotes last fall but pretty sure Ricky explicitly stated religious convictions were the foundation of his choices which presumably his family has held. I agree there was no need to connect that point of view specifically with home schooling.

Agreed. Having been in a home schooling community growing up, I can tell you that parents don't make strange decisions (like not allowing their girls to go to college or having an aversion to modern medicine) because they homeschool. Rather, most of the time, they make these decisions based on religious reasons. I pray for Ricky's sake that this course of action won't damage his long-term health.

I did find it interesting in the interview that his nutritionist specifically stated he doesn't diagnose patients and then Ricky proceeded to say he did not see a doctor for this. So my question is, who exactly diagnosed him with Lyme if the nutritionist doesn't diagnose people and Ricky never saw a physician???

Last edited: