• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 loop - 9 hole course proposal

Billipo

Birdie Member
Anyone seen a successful 9 hole course that has two options on a hole (same skill level) on some of the holes that can provide a different look?

Not a long /short two tee set up!

1.) Playing 9 holes twice with variation to make 18
2.) Two nines with different names naming the two configurations
3.) Players pick and choose as they go. It's a casual course.

The proposal is for a small campground course which plays quickly (red level). Most players play multiple rounds when at park. Park is adding cement tees so I want to be sure we are finished with development. Park is not interested in adding advanced tees.

I have a design that provides an alternative for 5 of the 9 holes only adding one target and three additional tee boxes.

Looking for ideas such as how to name and configure. Thx

Brockway and Red Oak in the Twin Cities, MN were designed with two red level tees per hole playing to 9 and 10 baskets, respectively. The tees have different looks with some roughly the same red par 3 length and other holes where one tee is a longer red par 4 and the short is a red par 3.

I played one like that many years ago, and thought it was a cool idea for the right property. The course has since been expanded to 18 holes.

Looking at examples best I can tell - Red Oak example is the most similar to what I am explaining.

It is shown as two reds, both configurations very similar in length. But indicated as two 9's not an 18.

If I go the two 9's route - would need to differentiate by name, color , some method. Probably not he conventional colors since white, blue, gold are not appropriate.

First thoughts (not necessarily good) Original / Extra Crispy, Hyzer / Anhyzer, Randy / Tito, 1.0 / 2.0, 2012 / 2021 (design year of layouts).... looking for suggestions if going this route.

Go with red bird names: Cardinal 9 & Tanager 9

So you want to name them after transmission line conductors.

Maybe birds for one 9 and fish or some other critter type for the other.

The bird cage and the bear trap.

How congested is the park? We have one here in Calgary at Forest Lawn that once was 9 holes and was later converted to an 18 setup with a front and back setup.

It's pretty nifty, but once you get a lot of people on the course you get some crossfire action going on.

I only mention as, aside from a couple holes, the approaches on the other baskets vary considerably. E. g. one basket is in a small copse of trees, and one approach is a short one from the West while the other comes from a Northerly direction.

The map on this site seems outdated? But the Udisc one should be okay.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for but should be able to get some ideas.

Course is not very busy. typically casual play.

Only hole #2 comes from completely different direction to a common pin. The rest would be clear.

Good thought! Because that could be an issue if it got busy if alternative holes were blind to each other.

If you anticipate very low player counts at any given time -

Thousand Pines in Crestline, CA did it in an interesting fashion - they have two 9 basket courses, where after hole 9 you walk about 200 feet past that hole to get to hole 10's tee, and holes 10-18 are playing the layout backward along the same fairways in reverse.

Was an absolute blast for me, being the only worker on site who played disc golf, and having guests only very rarely playing the layouts!

Brickyard in Menomonie Wisconsin is a good example of how it could work. Each hole has two tees and two pins. It plays as blues and whites. The blues do play appreciably longer, but it wouldn't of had to, as it could have been done as two similar length layouts easy enough. There are also several holes that could have shared a tee or a pin. It's definitely two different courses. I played two 9s there this morning, one loop of each. It's like playing two similar but different courses.

Last edited:
If you anticipate very low player counts at any given time -

Thousand Pines in Crestline, CA did it in an interesting fashion - they have two 9 basket courses, where after hole 9 you walk about 200 feet past that hole to get to hole 10's tee, and holes 10-18 are playing the layout backward along the same fairways in reverse.

Was an absolute blast for me, being the only worker on site who played disc golf, and having guests only very rarely playing the layouts!

That sounds like how the first ball golf course ( St. Andrews) originally played. You'd play the hole, move away from the pin play the next hole, after you played all holes then you'd play the holes backwards.

Billipo,

Groves Park in Tucson, AZ has something like what you're suggesting. The course has 9 pins, but plays clockwise for one loop (tees marked red) and counterclockwise for the second loop (tees marked yellow). After reviewing the map, there is also a second set of tees for a more challenging layout. The map below is slightly confusing, but if you ignore the blue it's easier to see the one layout. The locals play different layouts and it seemed like they were fairly active. There are occasional places where the tees for the same pin are far enough apart that you may miss that someone is teeing off from the opposite direction, but if the course isn't too busy it works just fine.

Here's a pic of the map I took:
d2cca84f.jpg