• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dave242

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Paul McBeth just recorded the highest rated round ever! There is no disputing that and no minimizing that amazing accomplishment. Nothing but congratulations are in order!

Since it is winter and talking about disc golf is more fun for me than playing, I dispute that 20 deadly hyzers in a row and a handful of good putts sprinkled in makes it the best round ever.....taking into account too this round was in the pressure cooker of the final round in an NT event of a player going for the win.

It is simply not the equivalent of setting a world record in the 100M dash (very controlled/uniform evironment) or a marathon (less uniform/controlled).

Paul posted this great video in another thread.

It was highest rated round and was under 40. It is pretty clear it was the best round ever.
this is like your flyboy review, you like to know the best down a peg.

Name a better round.

Since it is winter and talking about disc golf is more fun for me than playing, I dispute that 20 deadly hyzers in a row and a handful of good putts sprinkled in makes it the best round ever.....taking into account too this round was in the pressure cooker of the final round in an NT event of a player going for the win.

It is simply not the equivalent of setting a world record in the 100M dash (very controlled/uniform evironment) or a marathon (less uniform/controlled).

I agree that it may not be "the best round ever." But PDGA ratings are the most objective way we have to measure round quality, so it's the best we have to go on.

It would certainly be more impressive on a course like Maple Hill where line shaping and positioning are much more important. But the scoring spread just isn't good enough to produce such high ratings.

The bottom end of the pack likely scores similarly to the bottom of the pack at the Memorial, but at the top, the scores just can't get as low because setting up putts at Maple Hill is harder. Getting into the circle isn't enough, you have to be lined up properly as well.

It was highest rated round and was under 40. It is pretty clear it was the best round ever.

Name a better round.

Skinner's 42 on the Darkside.

And what were the ratings? I do not want to take away from those hot rounds, but a 39 is pretty amazing and until some other system comes up, round ratings is they way we judge a round.

While it's true there wasn't much shot variety off the tee other than distance and height, we know Paul has all of the shots based on winning Worlds in the Charlotte woods and his overall rating. I think the way you can look at this awesome round is it's currently our version of rolling 18 frames in bowling, getting 9 pins with the same curve to start each frame and converting 17 spares. Paul had to be in a groove to get close each hole and do what's necessary to make the conversion.

I would like to reference the memorial thread where the discussion about that tournament inflating round ratings for the top pros but I have no idea where the discussion starts in that giant thread.

MJs 41 and Skinners 42 are on courses that require a person to have more than one shot working for them that day.

Why is the highest round ever automatically the highest rated round?

How can you not argue that Kenny's perfect round in the semi finals in 2002 Houston worlds to seal his 11th world title is the best round ever? Why does this never get mentioned (well the answer is because it prior to ratings).

Blame the course not the player. He dominated the course. It doesn't matter if he threw 20 chicken wings in a row. When you step up to the tee it is up to you how you throw it. Are you discrediting Hokems world championship b/c she throws sidearm 99% of the time off the tee?

And McBeths was higher, however that is an insane accomplishment that probably demonstrated a wider variety of shots, but if we look at round rating McBeth is still on top.

So I'm wondering if every post of yours in this thread is gonna be some variation of "mcbeth's is rated higher" cuz that is gonna get old quick and misses the point that Dave is trying to make.

Name a better round.

For all you know, I very well could be an anonymous internet dweeb with an big old Oedipus complex that spills over into anger and jealousy towards the best of the best in areas of life that I will never attain. :confused:

Or, maybe I just like chewing over the philosophy of how you qualify and quantify the very subjective term/concept "best" into the most meaningful terms possible.

Avery Jenkins is on record saying MJ's round at Bradford during Worlds was simply him being dialed in and throwing the same shot over and over. Is there merit to his thoughts?

Apples and Oranges.
These are all great rounds, but debating about which is best is an argument that nobody wins.

I doubt most of us could shoot 39 at Putt-Putt, much less at any tournament-worthy venue.
Give it a rest.

What difference does it make if it was 18 hyzers, 18 anhyzers, 18 straight drives, or any combination of the above? Paul executed the required shots that the course demanded nearly perfectly, regardless of what kind of shots they are. Golfers that like the woods always piss and moan about our types of courses, commonly saying they are too easy. Yet, when they show up for tournaments they are usually out of the cash, but still pissing and moaning that its just a bunch of hyzers.

This thread is just a testament to how easy he makes it look. There are plenty of the top players throwing flicks and lefty backhands on many of these shots to ensure they cut into the hills and stop and don't roll into the plethora of OB on this course. He is not only placing his shots he's landing them softly on each differently sloped fairway or green. Your telling me that's not finesse? Calling 20 of these shots hyzers is way too big of a sweeping generalization.

Latest posts