• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 USDGC Format To Change To Handcap + Stroke Scoring

Who cares for points for 2012 worlds? It is not going to fill quickly with the current course setup planned. Anyone who wants to play will be able to imo.

I think it def would have filled. but now.....Im doubting people are going to come 1500 miles to play 3 average courses. they need to cater to the divisions that will be the most represented.

Are you proposing a change in competitive Disc Golf?

Sounds like you prefer this type of competition more than regular competition. Is this true?

There are handicaps in many sports with payouts much higher than non-handicapped events in other sports like ours. This is reposted from another site:

Here is one of the biggest handicap events in the World:

The Grand National is a world famous National Hunt horse race which is held at Aintree in the United Kingdom. It is a handicap chase containing thirty fences which is run over a distance of 4 miles and 856 yards (7,242 m). It is the most valuable National Hunt event in Great Britain, and in 2010 it offered a total prize fund of £925,000. The race is popular amongst many people who do not normally watch or bet on horse racing at other times of the year.

In the U.S. there are 30 Grade 1 (top level) handicap horse races. Also from Wikipedia: Handicapping is used in scoring many games and competitive sports, including: go, chess, croquet, golf, bowling, polo, basketball, and track and field events.

Just because we don't have the tradition yet for handicapping, doesn't mean it can't materialize. We don't have a tradition for match play either and the Players Cup did pretty well as a format.

Do you think changing the format of the usdgc is good for Professional Disc Golf?

Sounds like you really like this idea. Do you think it would be healthy for all NT and Professional Disc Golf to change to this handicap format?

Tell us how it benefits the men and women that work at being the best in the world at Disc Golf if Disc Golf changed to this new usdgc format?

Do you think it will be more exiting then the 12 previous years?

Do you think there will be more or less interest from the Disc Golf community for this 2011 usdgc?

Do you think the PDGA website will get more or less traffic during that time and will the companies that advertise with them benefit more or less from the new usdgc format.

Do you know if there was more web traffic during the Am Worlds or Pro Worlds this year on the PDGA site? That would be a true indicator as to what is more popular and what is better for Disc Golf and sponsorships for the growth of the sport would it not?

Thanks for your input!

I'm personally neutral on the revised USDGC format. I'm a gamer at heart and like all forms of competition and have created several for the sport. The essence of disc golf has been shown to be addictive for playing it however you do it versus watching it. I see nothing wrong with any promoter or sponsor running major events with different formats and in my mind it adds to the coolness factor for a sport that's already pretty cool.

Top pros currently mean very little to the growth of the sport by showcasing their skill (and only marginally to the sale of discs by the manufacturers). Their best contributions can still be either doing clinics, and much more importantly, installing courses. Those are core activities that really matter at this point in our development. Having been involved in over 100 course designs and installations, not once has the Park Dept cared about top pros playing their course. They cared about whether their local citizens would play their course. In fact, many of our professional designers won't even mention tournament play when installing courses because the Park staff and City Councils want their course supported and used by their tax paying citizens and not so much outsiders. Now the Convention Bureaus care about visitors and tourneys. But it's rare they are involved in the process of getting a course installed.

Based on the popularity of disc golf video clips on YouTube, people just want to watch anything disc golf and sometimes the weirder the better. Similar to Tiger Woods, it's possible that Ken Climo playing at Worlds would have pulled more viewers than the lead card (if he wasn't on it), so quality of play doesn't necessarily rule. If DiscGolfPlanet.tv is showing any disc golf action live, people will watch it since it's still new. I'm thinking a charity disc golf/ball golf challenge would draw big numbers equal to Worlds if people knew about it and it was photographed and produced well.

Last edited:
I'm personally neutral on the revised USDGC format. I'm a gamer at heart and like all forms of competition and have created several for the sport. The essence of disc golf has been shown to be addictive for playing it however you do it versus watching it. I see nothing wrong with any promoter or sponsor running major events with different formats and in my mind it adds to the coolness factor for a sport that's already pretty cool.

Top pros currently mean very little to the growth of the sport by showcasing their skill (and only marginally to the sale of discs by the manufacturers). Their best contributions can still be either doing clinics, and much more importantly, installing courses. Those are core activities that really matter at this point in our development. Having been involved in over 100 course designs and installations, not once has the Park Dept cared about top pros playing their course. They cared about whether their local citizens would play their course. In fact, many of our professional designers won't even mention tournament play when installing courses because the Park staff and City Councils want their course supported and used by their tax paying citizens and not so much outsiders. Now the Convention Bureaus care about visitors and tourneys. But it's rare they are involved in the process of getting a course installed.

Based on the popularity of disc golf video clips on YouTube, people just want to watch anything disc golf and sometimes the weirder the better. Similar to Tiger Woods, it's possible that Ken Climo playing at Worlds would have pulled more viewers than the lead card so quality of play doesn't necessarily rule. If DiscGolfPlanet.tv is showing any disc golf action live, people will watch it since it's still new. I'm thinking a charity disc golf/ball golf challenge would draw big numbers equal to Worlds if people knew about it and it was photographed and produced well.

Well said sir!

I'm thinking a charity disc golf/ball golf challenge would draw big numbers equal to Worlds if people knew about it and it was photographed and produced well.

Or how about Paige Pierce vs. Dr. Rick Voakes as a reprise of Billy Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs? :)

Sorry, to all the naysayers but I think that it has been a resounding success thus far. Had no interest in going or playing in an usdgc and never bought a video, or cared, but i'll be honest i'm wanting to try and qualify for this in a bad way. I'm going to enter more tourneys which I had all but given up, and have been back out on the course playing again, almost everyday and buying discs. I'm having fun again as i'm working hard to achieve something. People run marathons, ironmans, etc to achieve something. Of course there are always going to be pros that are better than me at every activity I take up, but I get a piece of this expierance, which in turn is making go back to a sport that I pretty much didn't really care to play tourneys anymore. Tired of the giving up 8 hrs of my day for a disc that I didn't care to even have, and pros showing up and complaining and cussing so pretty much didn't care to support them either. At least now I enter to try and earn a spot and achieve a goal. People act like these ppl that are going to the USDGC are TDD's or something, you still have to qualify and work hard to get a spot. And if I do then i'll buy a hotel, a ROC, and blow allot of money on Beer and wings somewhere in Charlotte i'm sure which I doubt to many pros are going to do! I'm pumped and who gives a crap what all these pros think honestly. Think the name needs to be changed, but I hope that it's a huge success.

Also, if the pros did care about growing the sport then they would show up and do a clinic, maybe a distance competition, something to help polarize all these people that look up to them, but from the general consensus they only give a crap about us growing their prize purse so they can win it. Which to me they don't care about the sport, etc. If Nikko or someone went to this event and made his presence known who would sell more discs, and all he would have to do is give up an A-Tier, which would probably be negated from him selling a ton of discs for gateway or Dynamic Discs. I've seen the touring pros twice know and honestly I was less than impressed in how they acted and so where just about everyone else that has seen them.

It seems some Pros are going for the clinic purposes. Just realize that the Pros don't make much money at all so when the biggest chance to get some cash is yanked out from under them they're going to get upset. Also realize that most people who pay attention to tournament DG revere the USDGC as the best one out there. The massive changes are completely startling to the whole scene and the handicapping system is in real way disrespectful to anyone who's won the tournament in the past. It's a very big deal to the touring pros.

It seems some Pros are going for the clinic purposes. Just realize that the Pros don't make much money at all so when the biggest chance to get some cash is yanked out from under them they're going to get upset. Also realize that most people who pay attention to tournament DG revere the USDGC as the best one out there. The massive changes are completely startling to the whole scene and the handicapping system is in real way disrespectful to anyone who's won the tournament in the past. It's a very big deal to the touring pros.

Agree and I know that it's a killer for them no doubt, but for their sponsors, etc would be pretty big deal for them to help pedal their sponsors products. Just would say that even though the monster paycheck is gone, seems that the paid Pro Tour Players would help there sponsor and this is a biannual event right? Will still be a pro open event? Hate to say it but get 200 + ams down there who will be buying plastic like crazy most likely. Feel bad for them but in this economy everyone is struggling and you have to be very wise with your money.

Question do you think that AM Event will raise more money that the open pro event?

By default, yes. There's no payout whatsoever this year so all the money is going into the td/innova's pocket. I know a fair few ams are gonna wanna play the tourney and there may well be disc sales, but you also have to realize that most ams are even more broke than the pros. They'll cover lodging and food and the entry. The collectors will buy some but many will just stick with the player's packs. Also you won't see nearly as many spectators out there as spectators want to watch the best golf, not some 880 rated am who shot 950 to qualify. Most DG tourneys don't really get spectators but the USDGC is a bit of an exception due to the depth of the scene in the Carolinas as well as the fact that it's on a college campus.

After planning on not volunteering this year...not because of the format change but because of some other reasons, I decided to head to Rock Hill and volunteer. I'm only doing to 2 days versus the normal 3 or 4. I'm looking forward to being part of the excitment again this year.

Remember when there wasn't enough money to support the USDGC being the top-tier event it was each year and they went to this format for a year? Seems like ancient history with the recent boom in demand.

Remember when there wasn't enough money to support the USDGC being the top-tier event it was each year and they went to this format for a year? Seems like ancient history with the recent boom in demand.

Innova not having money for USDGC is one of the great cons / lies ever told in disc golf.

If you think Innova had issues with money before Prodigy, Dynamic Discs were making discs, Discraft was kinda not relevant and MVP wasn't even known, you are crazy.

USDGC format change was because they were tired of pros complaining and they were pushing their new scoring format as a business move.

But money? 100% not the case.

Holy Crap! Necrobumping a 10 year old thread to make a completely false statement! WTFF?

Highlighted the most relevant facts from MTL:

Innova not having money for USDGC is one of the great cons / lies ever told in disc golf.

If you think Innova had issues with money before Prodigy, Dynamic Discs were making discs, Discraft was kinda not relevant and MVP wasn't even known, you are crazy.

USDGC format change was because they were tired of pros complaining and they were pushing their new scoring format as a business move.

But money? 100% not the case.

The only thing worse than lies are people that force me to agree with Robert....Fricking Necrobumping Crap....

Holy Crap! Necrobumping a 10 year old thread to make a completely false statement! WTFF?

The only thing worse than lies are people that force me to agree with Robert....Fricking Necrobumping Crap....

I had bad info. Does that justify jumping all over me?

I had bad info. Does that justify jumping all over me?

Don't worry about it. I'm not sure where the strident reaction came from.

I can confirm that the explanation you posted was the narrative pushed. Why wouldn't you think it true? You'd think you could take Innova at face value, but apparently we couldn't.

As Robert said, it was a great con to avoid calling out pros for being unreasonable, most of whom were sponsored by them at the time. I thought the money issue was true for years until the topic came up at a monthly, when a local pro told me about the real conversations that happened.

Latest posts