• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 USDGC Format To Change To Handcap + Stroke Scoring

I see 1 major problem with this.

It caters to players that are improving or new to the sport. I can see the intermediate and Rec players who have the ability to play 50-100 pts above their rating snatching up all the qualifying spots. How does a 1000 rated player qualify? Its easier to shoot a 920 rated tournament as a 880 rated golfer (especially with 10 months of practice until the event) than it is for a 1000 rated golfer to average 1040 in the qualifying events. Just make it an Novice to Intermediate level event...thats who it obviously caters to anyways... If it werent for automatic qualifying, I don't see how any highly rated player can qualify.

With low payout compared to past USDGCs, not too many top players if any will care to enter which allows more players to qualify who would never get to the USDGC otherwise. And that's the purpose of the format, allowing lower rated players who are improving the chance to play there.

Last edited:
I wonder what rating point they'll use as scratch? Seems to me that the unique scoring pattern created by the rope and punitive throw-and-distance provision will ensure that the highest rated players will win. History says weaker players take more OB penalties at Winthrop than the steadier guys. Making those players weaker to start with, even if you help them with handicap throws, won't raise their chances of winning by much. A few errant throws and a guy's blown 100 rating points worth of handicap. Over the course of four rounds, they'll still screw up enough times that they're out of the hunt, while the scratch players and better will be on top. My early guess (unless they suggest payouts will be really weak, $100 isn't chicken scratch) is that there will be plenty of pros on hand to contest the title.

Hopefully there are some details about the handicapping particulars coming out soon. Regional qualifying starts next weekend.

Joe

This is gonna be like Nascar. Can't wait to watch sub-900 rated players deal with stroke+distance. This could get ugly. :popcorn:

Did they say they were going to use stroke & distance? The time it would take for a full field of ams to play that format would be crazy.

It will not make sense to use "throw and distance" at this USDGC event since player handicaps were not produced using this format all year long at other events.

Is the winner of this one going to have an asterisk next to his/her name?

What is the reason ams would want to play this course? Nothing all that special about it. There have to be 50 courses within a few hours of there, that I would rather play.

I see 1 major problem with this.

It caters to players that are improving or new to the sport. I can see the intermediate and Rec players who have the ability to play 50-100 pts above their rating snatching up all the qualifying spots. How does a 1000 rated player qualify? Its easier to shoot a 920 rated tournament as a 880 rated golfer (especially with 10 months of practice until the event) than it is for a 1000 rated golfer to average 1040 in the qualifying events. Just make it an Novice to Intermediate level event...thats who it obviously caters to anyways... If it werent for automatic qualifying, I don't see how any highly rated player can qualify.

In golf the handicap is used as like a 90% handicap. SO if a 1000 rated player is scratch and a 900 rated player is basically like a 10 handicap The 1000 rated player will get no strokes, and then 900 rated player will get 9 instead of 10. There are positive handicaps however if you are above "scratch: so technically if you were 1040 you would have to give back 4 strokes to the 1000 rated player in essence. It also fluctuates based on the difficulty of the course, so for a 66 ssa course versus a 54 ssa course there might be a few extra or less strokes given in this same circumstance.

Not sure if this helps or hurts anyones arguments, just throwing it out there for some more information.

On another hand, handicapping is fun for most play, but the championship should not be handled with a handicap in my opinion it takes away from the "championship" aspect of it. It brings into account sandbagging moreso than any other tournament. People could easily keep their ratings low on purpose and come out for this tourney and blow it out of the water with awesome rounds. I wouldnt put it past some people. Although i do suppose to qualify you need to play well too. I would much rather the USDGC be played scratch and those who make it make it those who dont dont but then a seperate tourney on the year could be the HUSDGC could also be played, but it still would take a back seat in my opinion to the USDGC. I would want to play in either sure, but for excitement and spectatorship, it just wouldnt be the same.

Just my thoughts and I have no control over any of it, so whatever they decide they decide!

I don't watch the Masters to see ams play.

Exactly. This is a stupid idea.

If they wanted to make it an Am USDGC, that would be fine... The "US Disc Golf Amateur Championships".

But, to make it a handicapped tournament is lame; it would no longer be the USDGC... it would be the "US handicapped championships" or something.

DSCJNKY

^^^^
2011 according to the PDGA post in the link above.
They had said 2010 would be the last of the yearly USDGC championships, moving instead to a Bi-Annual format. Meaning the next one would be in 2012, but, according to the PDGA post it is "2011" unless that is a typo :confused:

The USDGC name is being retained for practical reasons. They have a huge number of signs and banners and more importantly local sponsor connections that understand this as the US Championship not the least which is Winthrop University providing the site each year.

Latest posts