• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 USDGC Format To Change To Handcap + Stroke Scoring

One practical question -- how does the final nine work? Do they apply the handicap at the start of the finals ("Dave Feldberg is at 204 after four rounds, and Joe Nobody is at 187") then let them duke it out with actual scores, as Feldberg gains a couple of shots each hole? Or is there no finals drama, with everyone huddling around a calculator in the officials tent instead?

No final 9 at USDGC. Since each player will have a projected score for each round, I suspect the scoring will be live with updates after every six holes like it's been done for several years now. So there will be live standings updated as the groups come in. I'll talk with them about how to do projected scores for each player on a 6-hole basis so we could track true "under/over projected score" as the 6-hole segments progress throughout the day and rank accordingly.

That's always been the plan from what I understand. But the player pack, parties and meals are always top notch and worth the entry fee alone in addition to the overall cool experience of playing in the USDGC itself

How long does it take them to process the scores from each qualifier? There were two last weekend (Great Milwaukee Open for one of the regions and the SOKY Championship for the KY state rep spot) and I'd like to know who got in.

I heard they were doing round by round updates on who the qualifiers were at Milwaukee. Not sure about SOKY but they should know them by now.

I'm glad they did decide to actually do a USDGC just now sure how big a fan I am of the format. Wont know till we see how it goes though.

Thanks Chuck. I saw the results from Milwaukee. Guess I'll have to wait about the KY spot.

Hole5Guy qualifies how awesome for WI!!!! And Hot Shot Scott Slauson a personal friend of mine too . .. that is awesome, I hope to be watching them both during the tourney!

Yep, it's a business decision and it's his business.

But you know, if it were changed to the US Disc Golf Cashcow (which is a more accurate name),

Fixed

as an am about to pass 900 I would not like strokes taken away If I do worse than someone better. Ams want to get better do not scare away all the better people.

have 2 events

1 for open
1 for am open

Last edited:
After seeing how the scoring works and watching interviews of Climo/Schultz I doubt many if any of the top players attend this event. Climo and Schultz said they would be there to support their sponsor but both were hesitant when the question was asked if they were going to play. They said that is TBD.

Here is a response from Avery when I asked him if he was going to play and what he thought of the format change.
Avery Jenkins: Not sure about any of that yet. I don't really agree with the format of this year's event.

Last edited:
After seeing how the scoring works and watching interviews of Climo/Schultz I doubt many if any of the top players attend this event. Climo and Schultz said they would be there to support their sponsor but both were hesitant when the question was asked if they were going to play. They said that is TBD.

Here is a response from Avery when I asked him if he was going to play and what he thought of the format change.
Avery Jenkins: Not sure about any of that yet. I don't really agree with the format of this year's event.

i've heard similar sentiments from pros I've asked as well

Course SSA will strongly be influenced by the tournament rules for OB and OB penalties, no?

I have a feeling that those lower rated AMs will shoot well below their rating if all of the ropes and stroke + distance penalties are the same from 2010.

One question I have for Chuck or anyone involved in the tournament.. Will the top XX players from 2011 qualify for the 2012 USDGC? Maybe go by raw score for that one? There is some motivation right there (if you want some) for the good players to attend..

Thanks!

Last edited:
One question I have for Chuck or anyone involved in the tournament.. Will the top XX players from 2011 qualify for the 2012 USDGC? Maybe go by raw score for that one? There is some motivation right there (if you want some) for the good players to attend..
Haven't heard about that possibility.

Who cares for points for 2012 worlds? It is not going to fill quickly with the current course setup planned. Anyone who wants to play will be able to imo.