• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2012 Discraft Ace Race Disc

Everybody keeps saying a new fairway driver, and I would love to see a new fairway driver from Discraft, but honestly how good would that disc be for an Ace Race? I guarantee the ace count would be way down if they did this. With the distances they would have to make the holes to accommodate a fairway driver, clubs would be lucky if there was one ace during their Ace Race. Just my thoughts..

Last edited:
a Ti Zone won't happen

it will be something "new"

edit: in time you might get a Ti Zone but NOT for an Ace Race

a Ti Zone won't happen

it will be something "new"

edit: in time you might get a Ti Zone but NOT for an Ace Race

I know, but they could call it the tone. It will be slightly over stable to overly stable, and great for skips.

I absolutely agree with your midrange assessment: Buzzz, Hornet, Wasp, Drone. I would expect another flying, stinging insect name if they think it would be popular. Would be an understable midrange, do you think? I would love a Yellow Jacket. But other options... honeybee? Mud dauber? Bumblebee?

Bumblebee sounds like some super understable midrange that glides even more than a Comet.

Everybody keeps saying a new fairway driver, and I would love to see a new fairway driver from Discraft, but honestly how good would that disc be for an Ace Race? I guarantee the ace count would be way down if they did this. With the distances they would have to make the holes to accommodate a fairway driver, clubs would be lucky if there was one ace during their Ace Race. Just my thoughts..

This year will be my 3rd Ace Race as TD. To date, we've never had an ace--just metal hits. The course we play on is basically a pitch-and-putt course (which works out great for the event). However, it would be virtually impossible to throw off the tee with a fairway driver unless I put the flags way behind the tees. I'd be very happy with a stable midrange this year.

This year will be my 3rd Ace Race as TD. To date, we've never had an ace--just metal hits. The course we play on is basically a pitch-and-putt course (which works out great for the event). However, it would be virtually impossible to throw off the tee with a fairway driver unless I put the flags way behind the tees. I'd be very happy with a stable midrange this year.

Wow that is crazy. I'm not sure of an exact number, but we had plenty of aces during last year's Ace Race at my home course.

Just 'cause it's a fairway driver doesn't the holes have to be 275' or longer, even if that is the disc's intended use.

Our TD adds temp baskets and shortens holes to make sure every hole is aceable, but not so close that every good player will necessarily hit. Works pretty well, because anyone can get a lucky one or two, but it usually takes about 3-5 Aces, plus a couple of metal hits to win his Ace Race any given year. Shouldn't that kind of consistent accuracy win this type of event rather than one or two lucky shots?

While they're at it, they should make a disc bag called the Hive.
^ I love it!

Just 'cause it's a fairway driver doesn't the holes have to be 275' or longer, even if that is the disc's intended use.

Our TD adds temp baskets and shortens holes to make sure every hole is aceable, but not so close that every good player will necessarily hit. Works pretty well, because anyone can get a lucky one or two, but it usually takes about 3-5 Aces, plus a couple of metal hits to win his Ace Race any given year. Shouldn't that kind of consistent accuracy win this type of event rather than one or two lucky shots?

This is the exact same way it is at the Ace Race around here, but if it ends up being a fairway driver I am sure they would make the holes longer, resulting in less aces. And who really wants to throw a fairway driver on short 200 ft. holes anyways? I'd feel like I'm regressing back to a noob for the day;)

The overstable fairway driver is the only disc Discraft does not currently make. If they use an overstable fairway driver it would rival discs such as the XXX, teebird, eagle, banshee just to name a few. Discraft has the Tracker, Talon, Xtreme, and Reaper however they are not currently in production (Tracker being the only one on discgolfcenter.com qty 7) and the Tracker is a 9 speed. I think of fairway drivers in the 6 - 8 speed. So basically a slower Pred would be sweet.

It is the logical choice but then again they made the Zeppelin last year and that thing was junk so I'm not sure what those Discraft guys are thinking.

Latest posts