• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2012 Discraft Ace Race Disc

This makes me laugh. Every year, we sit around for the month or two prior to the release and throw out a million ideas on what they SHOULD put out when they've already told us when they're going to announce it! The only official ace races run August-October per Discraft's rules.

You'd think they'd make a decent hoopla for the Ten Year Anni...

have they ever done a driver?
slipstream????
or was it the spectra

something tells me there was 1

there were two:
Slipstream - dunno how stable this was, never threw one
Impact - understable fairway driver
Both wenet into production, but never saw much commercial success. I've only seen a handfull of Slipstreams, never quite seemed to catch on. I do know a few folks who like the Impact, seen a few of those, but I wouldn't say it's a popular disc by any stretch of the word.

For those who missed this:
This year is the 10th anniversary of the Discraft Ace Race. Below is a list of the previous nine discs.

2003: Breeze
2004: Glide
2005: Slipstream
2006: Meteor
2007: Impact
2008: Nebula (not in production)
2009: Focus
2010: Hornet
2011: Zeppelin (not in production)

The Impact is a good disc until you hit some trees, then it just gets flippy and loses it's purpose. It's hella straight at first though.

This makes me laugh. Every year, we sit around for the month or two prior to the release and throw out a million ideas on what they SHOULD put out when they've already told us when they're going to announce it! The only official ace races run August-October per Discraft's rules.

I guess I need some caffine, you are correct. The ace race I saw advertised was early August, not July.

We have all these killer bees. Wasp, hornet, buzzz. I think ace race is gonna be called the yellow jacket.

As a Georgia Tech alum, your theories are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I absolutely agree with your midrange assessment: Buzzz, Hornet, Wasp, Drone. I would expect another flying, stinging insect name if they think it would be popular. Would be an understable midrange, do you think? I would love a Yellow Jacket. But other options... honeybee? Mud dauber? Bumblebee?

Last edited:
Since glide with speed seems to be the running theme recently, a super fast but glidy mid range? A beadless Comet with a slightly blunter nose to knock some stability back into it? I know they have the Comet already but it is not a part of the Bee Line-up, which is apparently what they are trying to do. You have the Nuke Family in the drivers and the Bee Line-Up in the mids; to them it sounds like a winning bag set-up.

I've been hearing a lot of requests for a understable mid, but honestly there is the buzzz ss and the meteor. How understable are you trying to get??

I've been hearing a lot of requests for a understable mid, but honestly there is the buzzz ss and the meteor. How understable are you trying to get??

I was wondering the same thing. Seems like Discraft is pretty overloaded with mids and putters. Not that more molds is a bad thing. There just doesn't seem to be many gaps for something new to fit in.

As a Georgia Tech alum, your theories are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I absolutely agree with your midrange assessment: Buzzz, Hornet, Wasp, Drone. I would expect another flying, stinging insect name if they think it would be popular. Would be an understable midrange, do you think? I would love a Yellow Jacket. But other options... honeybee? Mud dauber? Bumblebee?

Africanized Honey Bee

DC could definitely use a more teebird like fairway driver in its lineup. The current crop doesn't quite cover that spot (though some are close). It might make for a more difficult ace race, though.

Africanized Honey Bee

thats-racist.gif

...not to mention the Comet, and I'd even throw the Stratus in that mix.

Gimme a 1.4 - 1.6 stability fairway driver :thmbup:
:popcorn:

We have all these killer bees. Wasp, hornet, buzzz. I think ace race is gonna be called the yellow jacket.

That's the project name of a course I'm working on near my hometown. It also is the name of our school's mascot.

I do like DC's bee logo over the GTech-like logo we have now. If the ace race disc were to be called Yellow Jacket, it would be sweet.

What about the Queen? Maybe the Soldier? They could make a large diameter mid called the leafcutter (largest bee in the world at a max of 39cm) and maybe make it understable and high weight. Kinda like an understable, faster Condor. While they're at it, they should make a disc bag called the Hive.