• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Am Worlds, Emporia, KS

Rondpitt

Par Member
If I have missed a General Questions Thread -- well.... sorry.

I have some questions about the courses?

I am looking at the hole length/par info for the Worlds courses --- both on DGCR and the DD website.

Questions???
Peter Pan -- Looks like the hole lengths got re-measured for accuracy and maybe #4 shortened about 50'? Yes?

Jones East-- What changed on #18? Has it been shortened to 336'? I am not sure what par value DD will assign these holes. If they match DGCR, I read a par 64(with the possibility of 18 becoming a par 3 and the total going to 63)

Are these pars inflated? 5 of the par 4's are under 500'. Just wonder how many of them are make-able 3's for the 920-930 rating range?

Jones West-- Did this one get re-measured also? What about the change from 375' to 465' on 18? So, this is a typical par 54 course?

Emporia -- DD shows the same par 61 for both sets of tees (8936' and 8171') Hmm?? What is the hole by hole breakdown? When will we be able to practice this course?

Municipal --Same questions. Par 65 for either set of tees? What is hole by hole numbers? When will the course be set up for DGers?

Thanks,
Ron Pittman

I am so sorry.

In my feeble attempt to start a discussion about the Am Worlds courses --- I got off to a very bad start. Once again, I am sorry. I don't know what got in to me. :doh:

Apparently one is supposed to call someone a DB to appropriately launch a discussion. So, yeah. He is a DB. :D

Ron

Questions???
Q; Peter Pan -- Looks like the hole lengths got re-measured for accuracy and maybe #4 shortened about 50'? Yes?
A: Not sure – I do know they put in new signs (or at least were working on it awhile back)

Q: Jones East-- What changed on #18? Has it been shortened to 336'? I am not sure what par value DD will assign these holes. If they match DGCR, I read a par 64(with the possibility of 18 becoming a par 3 and the total going to 63)

A: They changed the numbers to ease congestion.
Hole Info. Notes: As of 4/7/13, holes were relabeled.
Hole 12 became Hole 1
Hole 13 became Hole 2, etc.
Hole 1 became Hole 8.
Kept holes in order above because pictures and maps prior to 4/7/13 correspond to old hole information.
Holes #5 (12) and #8 (15) share a conjoined teepad. Position 'C' on Hole 18 (7) is the island position by the tree.

Q: Are these pars inflated? 5 of the par 4's are under 500'. Just wonder how many of them are make-able 3's for the 920-930 rating range?

A:pars listed are from PDGA standards. "Updated Pars per www.pdga.com/files/documents/ParGuidelines.pdf” They are however, not official for the course. I believe official course par is 61(?). Par setting is not an exact science and can fluctuate based on level of player (see guidelines pdf).

Regarding other Q, I'm not sure. I would think though that as Par can fluctuate from Gold level to White level, etc., that the "Par" may be the same, but the tees used and distances fluctuated for the ages, gender.

For previous GBO (Glass Blown Open), Emporia CC and Emporia Muni only had one set of tees and one set of baskets. So the course layout obviously is changing a bit for Worlds.

Regarding other Q, I'm not sure. I would think though that as Par can fluctuate from Gold level to White level, etc., that the "Par" may be the same, but the tees used and distances fluctuated for the ages, gender.

For previous GBO (Glass Blown Open), Emporia CC and Emporia Muni only had one set of tees and one set of baskets. So the course layout obviously is changing a bit for Worlds.

I believe it was PDGA that wanted a second set of tees at Municipal & Country Club, hence some play CC-Red and Muni-Red.

I will be passing through Emporia sometime this week to reshoot pics of all three courses and update distances as needed....weather permitting.

The latest DiscGolfer mag has notes and maps of the five courses.

Yep. Chuck that is what sorta sparked my questions. The mag pics are the same as on the DD Worlds Web info page. Good stuff.

I was just trying to make as many notes as I can on what to expect before I get there. * I may or may not get to preview each course.

Thanks Rob and crew. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

* Hmmm.... let me see. 5 different courses --- that would be roughly 90 different holes to play/preview/walk/play blind. If you are starting a survey of ams concerning how many courses we want to experience at Worlds; I suspect the old farts will disagree with Advanced. I would be quite ok with a number lower than five. But, if nobody is asking. Then nevermind.

Ron

For those who've never been to Emporia, it was be flat-out great if someone could do a video preview of the courses. Short of that, links to any tourney videos (other than the one on Jones West page) would be helpful, too.

The courses have been changed slightly even from GBO this year. For instance, at GBO Jones East #18 played to a long basket position. On the worlds map it is in a shorter location. There are a few of these but I think I counted at most 4 of these over the five courses. Then again I have not played Jones West yet since it wasn't part of GBO or the one round challenge before GBO.

Expectations will be dependant on weather conditions. Note that even in DiscGolfer, they mention a difference between windy conditions and non-windy conditions. The wind will make things very tough, especially because there are some very tight OB lines.

For those who've never been to Emporia, it was be flat-out great if someone could do a video preview of the courses. Short of that, links to any tourney videos (other than the one on Jones West page) would be helpful, too.

YouTube GBO highlights. There should be plenty of video's of all the courses we will play. Just think disc golf on ball golf courses with crazy wind. Bring your overstable plastic!!

To see video's of Peter Pan YouTube Monkey Island Open.

I did get a reshoot of all three courses last week. Hopefully I will have them all uploaded by tonight.

I did get a reshoot of all three courses last week. Hopefully I will have them all uploaded by tonight.

That's awesome. I was going to see if you or anyone wanted me to do that a few weeks back but it seemed like a lot of work. Yesterday while playing peter pan they got the posts up for the new teesigns and have put up a large bulletin board style sign at the course start. They are not going to put up the signs until right before the tournament which I think is silly. The value of them up now while people practice outweighs the risk of vandalism but I guess they assume the worst.

I can snap some pics after the signs go up and send them to you to update if you wish. After I get all the mounts I need for the gopro I could maybe edit together a small video clip of the jones and peter pan course. The two temps aren't up until probably the week before and you can find maps and video of those on youtube.

Thanks, i will need it. Will be there 2 days early and havent played there yet so having an up to date reference will be nice

While not directly related, you may want to be aware that there are no alcohol sales in Emporia on Sundays. No beer, wine, spirits from any retail stores. I'm not sure about restaurants.

While not directly related, you may want to be aware that there are no alcohol sales in Emporia on Sundays. No beer, wine, spirits from any retail stores. I'm not sure about restaurants.

Restaurants can serve on Sunday. Olpe is also ten miles south and sells at their one liquor store from at least 1-7pm on Sundays. If someone can't make it the day I guess.

Just my two cents, but I were the drinking type, and from out of state, I would load up on the good stuff before I even entered Kansas.

what up 27 days till worlds competition who is staying at the rv park/campground?

Any other GM's coming in on Friday afternoon? I plan to hit Peter Pan. Holler here for the hookup.

Question for the locals.
I am sure that Emporia is a hotbed of culinary delight, so..... Got any restaurant recommendations?

Comfort food/meat 'n three?
BBQ?
Mex-Mex?
Tex-Mex (the default) and I don't mean Taco Bell or the pretenders I call TacoBellOnaPlate??
Burgers and Brew?
Decent cheap breakfast?
What else you got?

Thanks, Ron