• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Am Worlds, Emporia, KS

Any other GM's coming in on Friday afternoon? I plan to hit Peter Pan. Holler here for the hookup.

Question for the locals.
I am sure that Emporia is a hotbed of culinary delight, so..... Got any restaurant recommendations?

Comfort food/meat 'n three?
BBQ?
Mex-Mex?
Tex-Mex (the default) and I don't mean Taco Bell or the pretenders I call TacoBellOnaPlate??
Burgers and Brew?
Decent cheap breakfast?
What else you got?

Thanks, Ron

Comfort food and the burgers and brew are good at Bruff's bar and grill, Coach's bar and grill, or the Wagon Wheel bar and grill. All three locally owned and similar menus.

BBQ is good at Bobby D's although Bad Ol Bern's is decent and I think they now serve breakfast.

There are several locally owned Mexican restaurants that are quite good and authentic. Emporia has a large Hispanic population because of the meat packing plant so we usually have a few restaurants open at any given time that are good. I don't even know most of them by name they are just spread throughout town. There is one across the skate park on South ave near peter pan that is good and a few on Commercial St. which is the downtown strip that has the DD shop located on it.

Decent cheap breakfast is commercial street diner. Huge plates of biscuits and gravy, pancakes, eggs, whatever. If you can't go there a cheap chain substitute would be Braum's or IHOP. There used to be a place called Chuy's that had mexican breakfast burritos, even tongue. It's closed though. :(

Don't pass up Doobie's. It's a locally owned little restaurant on E. 12th ave. They do probably the best burgers in town now and have great sides and Po'Boys like shrimp or chicken cordon bleu. I could probably eat every day at Doobie's and the Wagon Wheel bar and grill and be happy. Everything else I didn't mention is likely a chain and none of them are great here. There is a Montana Mike's which is a small kansas only franchise I think. It's decent but I never have anything besides their catfish. The steaks at the wagon wheel are much better.

There is a fine dining restaurant and microbrewery opening across from Bobby D's BBQ sometime this year but I don't think they're open yet. They missed out if they don't open for world's.

There is a fine dining restaurant and microbrewery opening across from Bobby D's BBQ sometime this year but I don't think they're open yet. They missed out if they don't open for world's.

Culinary understatement of the year. I brew my own beer so am pretty intuned with local craft beer. They haven't even plumbed in mash tun, fermenters, etc. Been sitting in their windows since March.

Speaking of local craft beer...for those craft beer drinkers out there, you have got to try Tallgrass Brewery. It is made in Manhattan, KS and Jeff Gill is getting more and more involved in disc golf sponsorship. Personally, I like their 8-Bit Pale Ale and their Oasis (Imperial ESB). Their Ethos IPA has a noticable piney flavor if you are into that. The Buffalo Sweat is a great stout as well.

Culinary understatement of the year. I brew my own beer so am pretty intuned with local craft beer. They haven't even plumbed in mash tun, fermenters, etc. Been sitting in their windows since March.

Speaking of local craft beer...for those craft beer drinkers out there, you have got to try Tallgrass Brewery. It is made in Manhattan, KS and Jeff Gill is getting more and more involved in disc golf sponsorship. Personally, I like their 8-Bit Pale Ale and their Oasis (Imperial ESB). Their Ethos IPA has a noticable piney flavor if you are into that. The Buffalo Sweat is a great stout as well.

Yeah I don't even bother looking at their progress now and I'm on that street at least three times a week. They've been really slow considering the write up in the paper about it I think was last summer.

I like the few tallgrass brews I've tried. I'm just way more versed in the Boulevard lineup. :D

Thanks for the update on the eatery's. EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I was told there was some online info concerning when Municipal and Emporia Golf courses would be available for practice, but I can't seem to find it. Any news?

Thanks,
Ron

Thanks for the update on the eatery's. EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I was told there was some online info concerning when Municipal and Emporia Golf courses would be available for practice, but I can't seem to find it. Any news?

Thanks,
Ron

I'm not sure if DD or the PDGA will be doing emailing to keep people up to date but I'll post anything here I see. I hate to assume things but I'm going to say the temp courses will be up almost five days in advance for practice but any sooner would be too expensive.

I'm not sure if DD or the PDGA will be doing emailing to keep people up to date but I'll post anything here I see. I hate to assume things but I'm going to say the temp courses will be up almost five days in advance for practice but any sooner would be too expensive.

According to pdga guidelines, all courses including temp courses, have to be ready a few days before the tournament.

According to pdga guidelines, all courses including temp courses, have to be ready a few days before the tournament.

Awesome. Although I have no intentions of playing the temp GBO courses in July heat and humidity. I got enough of that beat down in April. Wish everyone luck who is playing.

The new teepads at peter pan are great and provide some new challenges.

I have no idea where I'm going to get in my rounds that week. I guess Olpe and maybe a road trip to Ottawa. It looks boring though. :\

I feel so fortunate to have multiple years experience on all of these courses and being semi local, good luck to everyone coming to Kansas for this. DD puts on a great player experience, even if it's 100 degrees and windy as hell. Hope you a'll can handle this Kansas wind ;)

Anybody on the registration list not going, if so you should call it in and move the wait list along.

Anybody on the registration list not going, if so you should call it in and move the wait list along.
Gotta be done by Friday if a player wants money back. From PDGA site:

NOTE: All ENTRIES and REFUND REQUESTS must be received by FRI 6/28/13 8pm EST. REFUND REQUESTS must be submitted through PDGA HQ.

new tee signs are up at Jones West. Unfortunately the same day I realized that is the same day we all wept for the wussification of hole 9 on that course. It was only the removal of one tree but it makes all the difference. There is no longer a gap to hit immediately off the tee. They cut down the little skinny one that is right in front and slightly left of the pad. Doesn't look like a big deal but it's huge for a right handed back hand player. So much easier now.

a27661d8.jpg

SteezeOG new tee signs are up at Jones West. Unfortunately the same day I realized that is the same day we all wept for the wussification of hole 9 on that course. It was only the removal of one tree but it makes all the difference. There is no longer a gap to hit immediately off the tee. They cut down the little skinny one that is right in front and slightly left of the pad. Doesn't look like a big deal but it's huge for a right handed back hand player. So much easier now.

Thats too bad, I was up at emporia 2 weeks ago and got to see the new set of blue baskets out there they looked pretty cool, so in that got to see a lot of long pin placements on west that we had never seen before either.

All three permanent courses have updated photos now, albeit with a few boo boos on Jones East. Hopefully that will be fixed by morning. I should know better than to upload at 3 AM.

Jones East
Jones West
Peter Pan

Scarpfish, thanks for doing this. Very helpful. Some questions:
- On Jones West are the blue circles long baskets? If so, is #18 the only one that corresponds to the Worlds course map on DD's site? What is the red circle on #16? What is par on the Worlds set-up?
- On Jones East what is Worlds par?
- On Peter Pan would it be possible to get circles showing pin locations?

Awesome. Although I have no intentions of playing the temp GBO courses in July heat and humidity. I got enough of that beat down in April. Wish everyone luck who is playing.

The new teepads at peter pan are great and provide some new challenges.

I have no idea where I'm going to get in my rounds that week. I guess Olpe and maybe a road trip to Ottawa. It looks boring though. :\

Sean - play Worlds dude!
If you haven't played Ottawa, you should at least check it out. It's not bad, not great, but not bad.

There is also a C-tier in Salina July 2nd.

SteezeOG new tee signs are up at Jones West. Unfortunately the same day I realized that is the same day we all wept for the wussification of hole 9 on that course. It was only the removal of one tree but it makes all the difference. There is no longer a gap to hit immediately off the tee. They cut down the little skinny one that is right in front and slightly left of the pad. Doesn't look like a big deal but it's huge for a right handed back hand player. So much easier now.

Thats too bad, I was up at emporia 2 weeks ago and got to see the new set of blue baskets out there they looked pretty cool, so in that got to see a lot of long pin placements on west that we had never seen before either.

yeah it's pretty fun with both sets of baskets. Another thing with hole 9 on the west course is that the blue basket went on the alt pin spot for hole 5 of the east course. It's right on the new tee sign map but I don't know if the baskets will be changed before world's or not. I assume all those blue ones are going out to one of the temp courses.

Just sad that the tree was removed. The west course is the easiest in my opinion and that little tunnel on nine was one of the major challenges of the front nine. It's really the sig hole for the front half of the course until you get to 17 and 18.

Not sure if the signs are up at Peter Pan yet but they have the posts and bulletin board up at the start.

Sean - play Worlds dude!
If you haven't played Ottawa, you should at least check it out. It's not bad, not great, but not bad.

There is also a C-tier in Salina July 2nd.

I wish I could but I have something on the 11th that I can't get out of.

Definitely will be playing Ottawa but probably wait until fall and when I am headed that way on the interstate. It looks like it's worth playing but not really good enough to make the trip just for that.

My friend Matt that won rec at the monkey island got married yesterday, giving him a new Stiletto as a gift. :D

Let me know if you're still coming down to practice. I wished I had been in town last time. We had that camping trip planned for months and my friend had never played Eisenhower. It was hot, gusty winds, and the ticks....I would've rather played in town that day. :thmbup:

Scarpfish, thanks for doing this. Very helpful. Some questions:
- On Jones West are the blue circles long baskets? If so, is #18 the only one that corresponds to the Worlds course map on DD's site? What is the red circle on #16? What is par on the Worlds set-up?
- On Jones East what is Worlds par?
- On Peter Pan would it be possible to get circles showing pin locations?

I know the par listed and what we play them as. Well most people in town. There are still a bunch of old school guys holding out calling peter pan a par 54.

Jones West par 54
Peter Pan par 55 hole #4 is only par 4
Jones West par 61 Seven par 4's and the rest 3. That's from the long tees I believe. All short tees I think it's par 54? I don't know the baskets have been in the long tees for a while now and not since the new signs went up.