• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

Silly to blame the disc. The green he was throwing to is extremely shallow. Between it's size/shape, the short grass, and the angle of the approach, it's a really difficult green to stick on. That especially goes for these guys who are trying to secure the three by nestling close to the elevated basket. Even the best players in the world can overthrow or underthrow a shot while trying to be that precise.

It's entirely possible that if the third shot was a Firebird, he threw that because his two Thunderbirds were already out on the fairway and he didn't have another.

It's also hard to blame the disc when he used it to absolutely park hole 14 a few holes later. Everybody has bad shots every once in a while, we just expect them much less frequently from Paul.

Does anybody have any idea who the 1% of Eagles on hole 15 and 1 eagle on hole 18 last year were? Those must have been either killer drives or pretty awesome second shots from the fairway.

I also noticed watching Marty's video that Patrick Brown was doing a lot of upside-down putting with his putter.

Someone threw in on 15 last year. Forget who. Maybe Schwebby?

edit - nope, Devin Frederick

It's tough landing the shot to the green on 9 from farther away. That pin is deceptively far - most approach shots come up OB short. You have to throw a bit harder than you think. Yesterday there was a tailwind that carried discs long so it didn't take much to send the drives long if you're throwing big hyzers at it.

Last edited:
Lots of guys out here swap a couple molds for this course/tournament. Typically to more overstable drivers to keep it inside the ropes. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I get the players swapping out discs for specific courses and tournaments.

What I don't get is when the sponsored players do an in the bag video, a lot of them (especially Innova sponsored) keep saying "I throw this midrange X mis-stamped as midrange Y & this driver A mis-stamped as driver C, etc"

Seems like a missed opportunity for disc maker and sponsor player to step up to the tee box with all the cameras rolling and hold up the CORRECTLY stamped disc for all to see and make that beautiful "I bet I can make that throw if I have that disc in my bag" shot. Unless it is some sort competitive secret.

It's also hard to blame the disc when he used it to absolutely park hole 14 a few holes later. Everybody has bad shots every once in a while, we just expect them much less frequently from Paul.
QUOTE]

I too was surprised by a few of Paul's shots, but just his putting on the first couple holes in Rd2 - hole 2 was flat ground and inside 25 feet but looked like one of my crap-tastic putts and didn't even hit iron, hole 3 was short but got a nice bounce off the rim and then on 4 he hits an AMAZING hyzer putt from outside the circle from one knee and behind a bush for par. That seemed to settle his putting down and he hit everything you'd expect from him the rest of the day.

Note sure if this will work:
us_se_9regradar_plus_usen.jpg

Works just fine. I've been watching the radar as well. Looks like the performance cards had the awesome weather today but MPO will get rained on.

Looks like an hour and a half -- maybe two -- until it gets to Rock Hill. Right around the time the lead card tees off.

***Don't hassle me -- this is not an exact science!

I get the players swapping out discs for specific courses and tournaments.

What I don't get is when the sponsored players do an in the bag video, a lot of them (especially Innova sponsored) keep saying "I throw this midrange X mis-stamped as midrange Y & this driver A mis-stamped as driver C, etc"

Seems like a missed opportunity for disc maker and sponsor player to step up to the tee box with all the cameras rolling and hold up the CORRECTLY stamped disc for all to see and make that beautiful "I bet I can make that throw if I have that disc in my bag" shot. Unless it is some sort competitive secret.

Most of the "mis-stamped" discs were hand picked from the unstamped stock at the factory and then stamped with whatever stamp pattern was in the stamping machine at the time.

I hope someone has a camera on the chase card today (I would be shocked if they didn't). Not often do you get footage of Jussi playing and just a great card overall.

From looking at the radar, looks like it is just starting to rain and will probably last around two hours.

Latest posts