• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

Watched the front 9 of the lead card on the final day yesterday. Interesting to see people talking about John's meltdown but not mention the 2 10 foot putts he missed on the first two holes.

Sucks for John but situations like that always help me remember even the pros aren't perfect and that you can still have a great round despite dumb mistakes.

The missed putt on hole #2 was not a gimme, but the one's missed on #1 and #3 definitely were surprising. Then again it's the USDGC and the wind was nutty.

Actually, Jamie Thomas (IIRC the other commentator) says this and then PMcB corrects him saying that he saw John do that all week so it was not surprising.

I'm well aware he laid up there every round. But on the other 17 holes, and in watching JohnE play in other events, he's a generally aggressive player. His choosing to lay up on 10, even if he did it every round, is still somewhat out of the ordinary compared to what we could call his "normal" style of play.

Running the green on 16 in general is an aggressive play. That being said, if you have the power to get the Wizard there it is BY FAR the safest disc to throw. If I absolutely need to hit a specific line I will throw a Wizard 10/10 times assuming I can reach the target with the Wizard. The beautiful thing about the disc is how truly stable it is. You can throw it as hard as you want, and the disc will HOLD. It's basically point and shoot. In JohnE's case he had a bit of a tailwind and downhill elevation working for him, so all he had to do was get the correct angle on the disc and throw. The Wizard won't burn or fade out.

The safe play is a midrange/fairway driver down the right side gap straight at the basket. Any Anny shot there is aggressive, well for me, lol.

I'm guessing the layup on 10 is only because the shot to the green doesn't set up to JohnE's bread and butter shot, which is pretty much a power shot on an anhyzer line (see hole 11 tee shot, 16 tee shot, 18 tee shot). He throws that shot better than anyone else in the game.

This is just my guess/opinion.

The safe play is a midrange/fairway driver down the right side gap straight at the basket. Any Anny shot there is aggressive, well for me, lol.

Midranges and fairways have side to side play if you don't execute right. Throwing up the middle (going for the green) introduces risk of the disc skipping OB left if it starts fading out or burning too far right. Wizards don't move around at all when thrown hard, similar to the Nova but less touchy and with more glide. Going up the middle with the Wizard is not an option because of the restricted ceiling, but the anhyzer is wide open. Again, if you have the power to get the Wizard there I'd say that's the safest shot you can throw considering how reliable the disc is. You don't have to worry about the disc deviating from its flight path.

Actually, Jamie Thomas (IIRC the other commentator) says this and then PMcB corrects him saying that he saw John do that all week so it was not surprising.

I'm well aware he laid up there every round. But on the other 17 holes, and in watching JohnE play in other events, he's a generally aggressive player. His choosing to lay up on 10, even if he did it every round, is still somewhat out of the ordinary compared to what we could call his "normal" style of play.

Both of you are correct.

I just watched all the coverage I could find, a little late. And WOW! This game is cruel! I haven't even been playing 6 months yet, and I feel that pain. My heart breaks for JohnE, that was painful to watch, also that playoff. I guess it goes to show, don't ever give up, it's not over until it's over.

I had an experience like that today, I was playing with people way better and way more experienced than me, I had a 3 stroke lead going into 12, and got a triple bogey, then missed 3 birdie chances, got 2 more bogies, and ended last on the card. Lesson learned: when your ahead take the stupid lay up.

I love watching these videos. Picking up so much. I hope I can play in the USDGC someday.

^ You're actually better than you thought. :)
Now you just need some more tourney experience to hone your mental game, and course management.

Thanks man, I already know I'm way ahead of where anyone expects me to be. As long as I'm still learning, still improving I'm happy.
JohnE though, did you watch it? He sunk a 300' skip shot, and then went on a birdie spree, coming out way in front. But then took a 9 on 17, and went OB in the playoff.

Yea, I was able to watch a lot of it live, including his big birdie, and heart breaking collapse. This year had a ton of emotion and drama.

Latest posts