• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

United States Disc Golf Championship 2022

The only thing I can't quite read about Gannon is if he has that deep, raw, insatiable bloodlust of McBeast.

Killer instinct, will to win, hates to lose, etc. are intangible traits that dominant champions are imbued with by the fans/commentators.

All the best competitors have some kind of fire in their belly, but it can manifest itself in different ways. Some like Jordan/Kobe/Brady/McBeth exhibit that killer instinct.

Others, like Joe Montana, seem to get it done with a somewhat "looser," more relaxed attitude.

The other thought is what drives him more--financial gain (nothing to condemn for sure), or being the best and winning the most?

Buhr's speech after winning showed him to have a good head on his shoulders.

I've gone from questioning to a believer. I spliced two of my favorite genres together for my penance & your entertainment. Stay for the end:

There seem to be more examples of the former than the latter, but surely somebody knows of other champions who did their best while exhibiting a more laid back personna.

Roger Federer, David Robinson, and Arnold Palmer are a few that immediately spring to mind. Andre Agassi is someone who had a resurgence once he got perspective. Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Tim Duncan are examples of more clinical than killer approaches to dominance. Plenty of examples, I think.

That is what made KC's dominance so impressive, is he did it all while working a regular full time job as well. We cannot even fathom someone doing that today.

That sword has two very sharp edges, though. Most sports that are not yet established have some early dominant figures, and part of the reason they dominate is precisely because they got better earlier, and others aren't in a position to put in the work to overtake them. Sure KC had to work, but he was in a way better position as far as knowing whether any work he put in, tournament he showed up to, would pay off. Others had to make the choice whether to tour, etc. without the advantage of it being at least a viable path to scraping by. Some people chose to take those proverbial weekend double shifts instead of going to a tournament, and who knows whether they could have been better than him?

Roger Federer, David Robinson, and Arnold Palmer are a few that immediately spring to mind. Andre Agassi is someone who had a resurgence once he got perspective. Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Tim Duncan are examples of more clinical than killer approaches to dominance. Plenty of examples, I think.
Excellent examples! Thanks for chiming in.
For some reason, I was drawing a blank.

*kicks himself for not thinking about Duncan, Robinson or Jabbar*
:doh:

"Killer instinct" a not such a useful phrasing for me. It works for me only in the sense of killing my limitations, fears, self applied chains, etc. "Warrior" resonates much more with me. Winning the war within wins.

Adopting an alter ego has been very, very effective for me. The alter ego is particularly effective when a pattern interrupt is need to break a bad cycle.

The rocks seemed to produce less anomalies than I anticipated. One reason, i believe, was that we set the line itself several feet off the rocks a few feet. We may increase that a bit more next year. Some areas may also get more rocks so that it becomes more of of solid obstacle to fly or clear. Hold 9 and Hole 10 on the straight flight line on the way in come to mind.

Excellent examples! Thanks for chiming in.
For some reason, I was drawing a blank.

*kicks himself for not thinking about Duncan, Robinson or Jabbar*
:doh:
Duncan had more of a "killer instinct" than people give him credit for. A lot of the examples provided are famous for how outwardly fiery they were, but players have repeatedly brought up Duncan as the guy they hated getting trash talked by the most during games. Kevin Garnett famously noted the way that Duncan would slice you up all night long verbally with short phrases or quick exchanges that wouldn't get picked up on broadcasts: "Nice try!" "Almost!" etc. as he diced you up as a defender or scorer.

Latest posts