• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2015 Ace Race Disc

This is definitely true for the majority of the DGCR community, and of most competitive clubs. I know Discraft is interested in "Growing the sport" not by catering to the base, but trying to attract new players. It's a tough one - the base community is where they can drive immediate sales on an event, but if 3 new people have fun that's better then the local league doing Ace Race Day vs. League day

Popularity pulls in people. A popular event in itself is marketable. Discraft knows this because they REWARD the most popular events. And thus my point is all ace races can be even bigger! A buzz in the hand of an experienced player is a formidable tool. A buzz in the hand of new player is an exciting experiment. Both players benefit. Discraft benefits. Everybody is happy. Everything is awesome! :D

That's actually not a bad idea. It's fairly well agreed that they should focus on expanding their putter line, a faster, more glidey putter with a more neutral flight path would round out that lineup. Most of their putters (Mag, Chally, Focus) are slower with little glide. If they put out something to compete with the Ions, Envys, and Daggers that had a bit more float, it'd fill a gap that they have.

They already have the second biggest disc lineup, but, a longer putter would actually be something new instead of rehashing old molds under new names...

Just my 2¢

Cheers.

What are you talking about?

Magnets may not be fast but they have plenty of glide and are neutral flying.

It's also been explained to death, Discraft has done drivers lately because it's easier for new players to throw them 150-200' and get better results than struggling to throw a putter that far.

APX is a glidey putter too

I always forget the APX. That does have some decent glide.

I used Soft Magnets for years and while they served me well, they were never putters that could really take a drive. You can get them up to speed, but, they like to drop when they slow down. Aeros, Aviars, Ions, Judges, Envys... They all take their time to come down.

It's also been explained to death, Discraft has done drivers lately because it's easier for new players to throw them 150-200' and get better results than struggling to throw a putter that far.
Maybe the Zombee and Heat were good Ace Race discs (I missed both events), but no-one was throwing the 2013 Ti Mantis particularly well at the Ace Race I attended. I know, I know, they re-tooled it to fly more like they wanted it to, but almost everyone was frustrated with that disc.

The Ace Race needs to be about fun for newbs but filling holes in their lineup as well. The only real gap I see right now in Discraft's lineup is their putter selection. They have absolutely nothing I want to try, and I'm someone who's actively looking for a new putter at the moment. The challenge is convincing newer players that they can throw a putter for distance, and with the right disc I think the word of mouth from a successful Ace Race could help that out quite a bit.

The only real gap I see right now in Discraft's lineup is their putter selection. They have absolutely nothing I want to try, and I'm someone who's actively looking for a new putter at the moment.

I see people saying this, and really don't get it. What type/shape/flight is missing?

I see people saying this, and really don't get it. What type/shape/flight is missing?

They have a great line up of putters, if you say Discraft's putters are lacking then literally every company is lacking in putters, except maybe Gateway.

As I said earlier, something modern and shallow. Colt, Envy, etc... I'll admit I haven't handled every Discraft putter out there, but every one I've touched has been on the deeper side. Ok, maybe not the Zone, but most people seem to regard those as OS mids rather than putters.

I'm just not sure where else they would go at this point. They've done tweener drivers twice with the Heat and Zombee. They've done fast mids like the Meteor and Hornet. They tried to do an understable control driver and didn't get the mold right for the event when they did the Mantis. Pmantle mentioned Zone SS, and I think he's on to something there. I could find room in my bag for something more OS than my Envy but not as beefy as a Zone.

As I said earlier, something modern and shallow. Colt, Envy, etc...

Ringer_D-Line_Standard.jpg

Obvious Ringer is obvious.

You know, I've literally never seen one of those anywhere? Maybe I need to check it out. From what Inbounds says it looks like they'll even fly similar. Inbounds link:

As far as deep/shallow go (for me at least): Feel a Magnet and a Colt side by side. Or an Envy and Ion if you want to stick to one brand family. The Ion and Magnet are deep putters with more distance between the flight plate and bottom of the disc than the shallower Envy or Colt. For me I like a shallow, premium plastic putter to drive and approach with

Last edited:
For me I like a shallow, premium plastic putter to drive and approach with

The Ringer is one of the shallowest putters I've ever felt. Fly kind of like a Rhyno, but they can be beat straight. Also the DGA Breaker is based on the Ringer mold and comes in premium.

Missed the edit window: No interest in the Ringer after all, and looking through their putter lineup I just realized why I don't like Discraft putters in general. It's either Pro-D or nothing for most of their putters, and Pro-D is one of the worst baseline plastics out there for durability. It's as bad or worse than Electron! So that only makes me think even more a Zone SS would be a good thing. Churn it out in ESP like the regular Zone and I'd be all over that baby!

The Ringer is one of the shallowest putters I've ever felt. Fly kind of like a Rhyno, but they can be beat straight. Also the DGA Breaker is based on the Ringer mold and comes in premium.

Now that might be worth tracking down! Thanks Streets.