• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Amateur Championships at Bowling Green

The intermediates might complain since historically they had 4 instead of 3 rounds. But there are events all the time where Int will play fewer or different courses than Advanced. I also suspect the reason HB added three courses but only one pool is he only had one TD or team to handle it. He(they) can move from course to course with that pool. Like I said, there are usually practical reasons why a TD will make certain choices.

The fact of the matter remains that the only reason there isn't a public outcry is bc it doesn't affect many readers of this board...if instead the same decision was made for men's int lots of people would be up in arms.

I'm sure you are right that no matter which group had this setup there would be some in that group that would complain about it. But, there would be a lot more in that group that would appreciate the efforts of the TD to accommodate more people overall and would be fine with it. Some of those who are unhappy would say nothing and just not sign up and others would take their place.

bc it doesn't affect you personally you don't care....and see anyone who does as a complainer.

That's nonsense - most of us are looking at the big picture and appreciate that someone takes the time to organize this tournament. Don't paint yourself as a selfless, altruistic defender of human rights. If you didn't have a dog in this fight you would never have posted in the first place.

The worst part is this could be fixed so easily and everyone could get exactly what they want.

This is my favorite part - it's not that everyone would get what they want - you (and your wife I suppose) would get what you want. If you weren't so intent on insisting that you are speaking for everyone in these groups then your posts would be taken more seriously.

Everyone assumes that if they were in charge, it would be easy and they would make everyone happy. Seriously? Do you know the amount of work that goes into running a tournament this large? No, you don't, because this is regularly the largest tourney of the year

You win guys....I will take my complaint to the horses mouth and go from there...it's obvious I don't have any support from the board. Maybe I can still convince him to change his mind.

Just make holler fri and play one of the other 2 courses twice....done. I would love to hear someone argue these points.

Maybe Holler wasn't available/ready on Friday, it is on private land so it could be possible that whoever was responsible for getting the course competition ready didn't think they could on Friday by noon.

I know that at the Kentucky State Championships they had an extra 9 so this could possibly be an option as well.
http://hollerinthehills.com/ky-state-championships-extra-nine/

Maybe Holler wasn't available/ready on Friday, it is on private land so it could be possible that whoever was responsible for getting the course competition ready didn't think they could on Friday by noon.

I know that at the Kentucky State Championships they had an extra 9 so this could possibly be an option as well.
http://hollerinthehills.com/ky-state-championships-extra-nine/

The ams are in prime baseball season, doubtful that would work

I have played the BG Ams a handful of times over the years. This is my first year as a Senior Grand Master. And yes. I am very disappointed to see we have only 3 rounds on the schedule.

Do I understand/appreciate the struggles a TD has in managing an event this large? Yes.

Will I vote with my feet and not go this year? No. With BG Ams (just like Worlds) that vote will not count. Somebody else will take my spot.

Do I wish it wasn't so? Sure. Absolutely. Duh - of course.

Is it a stinking shame that the women divisions got lumped in the same pool as the ThreeRoundOldFarts. You know it.

My point to make is simple; The sport is getting older. I was hoping to see more spots available for the older divisions than less.

In 2007, I was well past 50, but signed up for Advanced Masters instead of for Advanced Grand Masters --- only measly bunch of 8 or 10 signed up. When the dust settled there was still only a total of 16 for the Advanced GRAND Masters. Wow. NOW look at that pool. That pool of 72 now fills up quickly. So, yes the sport is getting older fast.

I have bumped my gums many times about the lack of spots for the Old Farts, and the Really Old Farts at Worlds. I can now say I have done the same for BG Ams.
Ron Pittman

Last edited:
They'll be more spots for MM1, MG1 and MS1 at the upcoming Am Worlds in Kalamazoo but you may need to play more than four different courses.

FWIW, I asked my wife what she thought of this, we both played BG ams a few years ago. She instantly said that playing 3 rounds including HitH and skipping White is far preferable to playing 4 but having to play White. Also, the carpooling is ridiculously easy if you stay at one of the hotels or campgrounds right in town, when I played it was no problem for me to catch rides to and from a few of my rounds and for my wife to get from one of her rounds back to Wah Bah.

Everyone is safe......the schedule will not change. I cant say I like it but HB brought up a very good point about making changes once the schedule has been posted....if only I had known in advance I could have started my petitioning when it actually mattered. There is always next year.

I have replied to the one e-mail I received on the subject, and appreciate the suggestions from all interested and the suggestions will be considered in the future, as we do all suggestions prior, during, and post event from players, retailers, manufactures, and staff.

Making changes over the past 38 years based on the overall experience presented to each player (for the whole week of events), presenting our major manufacturing and retail sponsors in the best light with opportunities to interact with their customers, and being sure much fun is available for the vacation week that a lot of the staff takes to help /play /score /stuff /stripe/ ect. is a balancing act for any TD.

We felt that the positives of opening up pools for all divisions with this move, the time change on Friday's round one, and by incorporating by far the best course in the area for players to experience tournament week would enhance the whole experience for most players, in and out of the divisions in the new pool.

The new pool with have the 6265 foot Franklin course (that is from the short tees) a gently rolling relatively open fairways with the river running looming on a few holes. Then move to the full experience of the top rated curse in the region - with the added holes (I think 6 but Howie is always improving and adding to that course better) Hills, woods, rocks, caves . . . you must play this course to understand the demand and track of land. Then Sunday morning the pool gets their duce or die course - playing that course so they can make it to the final 9 by noon for lunch and 1pm finals. The top three plus ties in each of these divisions (that have at least 10 players) will move on to the finals at the Wha Bah Course.

We will keep the schedule as planned and published, and hope that the efforts and decisions made by the BG Club keep allow this event to improve each year.

HB TD - 2015 BG AMs

Regtration Opens for all players Dec 2nd

We moved registration opening up this year to allow players to plan early (this is a week of fun and competition), and to allow your spouse or friend to give you the registration as a Christmas gift!

The costs for all divisions is $75.00

The link: http://www.discgolfunited.com/disc-golf-tournaments/tournament-dashboard.cfm/tourn_id/2622

You can sponsor a hole (actually three holes - so all divisions can see your name. business logo, comic remark, etc.) for only $30.

You can purchase a fly mart "players table" for $50. One 6' table in the conference room by the gym. Only bring what fits on top of or under the table. Flymart tables in the big gym need to be purchased separately-$150 for two tables.

You have the chance to pre-order fund raising discs - they will be announced as the manufactures come up with them. You can also order them from web pages using pay pal as they are announced - that info will be posted here and send out in the almost monthly newsletter (pm me a e-mail address if you want on that list). The discs will be mailed out as we get them in so you can have them early.

Full refunds of entry fee will be available until March 24th, after that players package (with out shirt) will be mailed to any one who needs to withdraw.

What pool is that...every year women have played with the corresponding men's pool...ie adv with adv etc.

i played INT, not sure of pool, but played white and it may me feel violated. Part of that was trying to throw 400 feet with everyone on my card as opposed to playing my game.

My game = not 400 foot

i played INT, not sure of pool, but played white and it may me feel violated. Part of that was trying to throw 400 feet with everyone on my card as opposed to playing my game.

My game = not 400 foot

Playing White in the afternoon with 30mph winds has that effect on most of us...

Mellow Mushroom Sponsoring early registration!

Again . . . once a week on Mondays we will do a random drawing of pre-registered players for a $25 gift certificate to Mellow Mushroom!

Drawings will be Monday mornings, and winners will be posted here and on the event web page.

Register early to get in drawings early while the odds are better!

Registration opens in 76 days - 8 am on Tuesday Dec. 2nd.

Latest posts