• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 European Open coverage thread/split from Tournament thread

So wait, is Jussi saying that people are being allowed to film and publish to youtube and nobody is stepping up to do so? If that's the case wow, that would never happen here in the states; somebody would be filming and uploading rounds.

Though he might be saying there is a reason why youtubers aren't being allowed to film rounds and money isn't that reason.

So wait, is Jussi saying that people are being allowed to film and publish to youtube and nobody is stepping up to do so? If that's the case wow, that would never happen here in the states; somebody would be filming and uploading rounds.

Though he might be saying there is a reason why youtubers aren't being allowed to film rounds and money isn't that reason.

I interpret what Jussi says as there are rules and limitations involved with filming and publishing to Youtube and to this point, no one has agreed to go along with them.

From the Media Rights document he referenced: "Category 3 operators are entitled to film at the venue but only in areas reserved for the audience in the course area." Category 3 operators appears to be the category for youtube channels, and it would appear they aren't allowed "inside the ropes" to shoot. They can only shoot from spectator areas. I'd imagine that doesn't make for the best shot-by-shot coverage, live or edited.

About Media rights. If you study them, you can see that we are not asking money for YouTubers to cover our event. Money was not the case with lgcm8.

hmmm, was unaware that they would not have to pay ... but the other reason I heard that lcgm8 chose not to film still makes sense

We are not making play-by-play videos from Rounds 1-3. We are concentrating to make The Insider Show as good and enjoyable as possible. This is a completely new format we go for.

That's a shame :\ ... you would only need like 3-4 people to make it happen

Gotcha, thanks for catching me up, I tried to go back a few pages but it was all:

cry-face-james-van-der-beek1.jpg

about coverage.
What coverage? Name another sport that their "coverage" doesn't include the games/rounds. Who do they think will get hooked to disc golf by watching people talk around a couch? It's silly at best.

One way to look at it is hopefully an American wins, takes the moneys, and comes on home. Then we celebrate the Europeans paying part of our pros salaries and forget about the event. It's hardly being documented so "forgettable" is probably the best way to describe it. Might as well make sure all the best tournaments are in the states with my main man Terry anyway. Now let's step into the smashboxx.

Seems there are a lot more videos coming in on instagram than yesterday...I'm at least feeding the addiction better than yesterday. Nybo is really making a strong push today.

One way to look at it is hopefully an American wins, takes the moneys, and comes on home. Then we celebrate the Europeans paying part of our pros salaries and forget about the event. It's hardly being documented so "forgettable" is probably the best way to describe it.
They pretty much cover the lead card play-by-play on Instagram, and all those posts are automatically going on Twitter (@opendiscgolf and #opendiscgolf). Seems to be their media of choice for rounds 1-3.

Paul stepped on a disc and messed up his upshot, by the way. I guess no one called the foot fault.

Not following this one too closely.. but it sounds like no coverage now but a better product in terms of coverage late.

I'm game for the long term thing.

Presidents Cup 2015 and European Open 2015 Media Rights said:
Category 3 operators are entitled to film at the venue but only in areas reserved for the audience in the course area. Please note that Sunday's television holes are reserved for Category 1 operators only. Its possible to conduct player interviews in a separate mixed zone. Upon request, operators will give copies of the material for the organiser's free use without limitations. The materials must be transferable using Apple-compatible equipment. Materials that can be utilised in digital media must identify the name and location of the event. In addition, the hashtag(s) provided by the organiser must be used with all contents shared in social media.

Category 4 operators are entitled to film at the venue but only in areas reserved for the audience in the course area. Please note that Sunday's television holes are reserved for Category 1 operators only. Its possible to conduct player interviews in a separate mixed zone. Category 4 operators are entitled to use the footage they film for commercial purposes, providing they take account of the rights of the event and the players taking part in it. The operators must, on a daily basis and before leaving the venue, give a full copy of their footage for the organiser's free use without limitations as remuneration for the right to use the materials for commercial purposes. The materials must be transferable using Apple-compatible equipment. Materials utilised in digital media must identify the name and location of the event. In addition, the hashtag(s) provided by the organiser must be used with all contents shared in social media.

Sounds like if anyone takes vid ... from some of the limited audience viewing areas ... then Innova/SpinTV can claim it as their own if needed which makes sense on their part in case something amazing happens.

... but having to film from limited areas and potentially having to give up their own "film" probably was the discouraging factor if money wasn't, which is reasonable to see why others decided to pass on filming if those are the restrictions in place.

... or having to deal with Apple-compatible equipment :sick:

Is there any President's Cup round video coverage?

No you can't watch actual footage. But, you can watch people talk about playing disc golf. And if you close your eyes you may just be able to visualize it... It's the future ;)

Sounds like if anyone takes vid ... from some of the limited audience viewing areas ... then Innova/SpinTV can claim it as their own if needed which makes sense on their part in case something amazing happens.

... but having to film from limited areas and potentially having to give up their own "film" probably was the discouraging factor if money wasn't, which is reasonable to see why others decided to pass on filming if those are the restrictions in place.

... or having to deal with Apple-compatible equipment :sick:

Those terms/conditions :\

No you can't watch actual footage. But, you can watch people talk about playing disc golf. And if you close your eyes you may just be able to visualize it... It's the future ;)

^HA now that... That's funny :hfive:

First, I think Jussi has a clear vision for the future of disc golf. From "Deep in the Game" to the formation of Discmania, his course design, etc etc, I don't think anyone can doubt his love for the game. He has our best long-term interests at heart and I can't wait to see how he continues to promote our sport. If anyone is going to get us on national TV in the US, I think it's going to be via the efforts of Jussi.

Second, the voice of disc golf is going to be Jamie Thomas. His passion comes through in every video he does, along with his professionalism. He has the best on air play-by-play confidence of anyone doing it right now. The future is Thomas on the air along with one of the older pros (Schultz, Doss, Feldberg, Jenkins, or Brinster) doing color commentary. The inside show with him, Doss, and Feldberg was actually really good and informative. Although I do think Feldberg could've promoted HukLub via clothing rather than a hat (which puts his face in shadow) and wearing sandals was completely unprofessional given the attire of Thomas and Doss.

That said, given the explosion of on-line coverage in the last 2-3 years, and the "relatively" exceptional live coverage we've enjoyed in just the last month from Maple Hill (via smashboxxtv) and Lat64 for the Scandinavian Open, the fact that SpinTV is not doing any direct filming of the President's Cup, an EO round 1 featured card or EO round 2-3 lead cards (men and women), is frustrating to say the least. I can understand not wanting to do live coverage, but I can't accept having limited video of the first three rounds.

While I understand that Jussi et al has/had a clear vision for media rights, I think it was/is shortsighted (in the short-term only) to not have given a long-standing disc golf video producer with the track record of LCGM8 the right to film the EO from an optimal vantage point (if that was in deed the issue). We need as many willing and able people producing high quality disc golf videos to disseminate to the public as possible.

I hope that these issues do not manifest themselves to bigger degree next month at Worlds or in October at USDGC, and deny us extensive coverage of these events. Watching the inordinate amount of videos CCDG et al produced for last year's Worlds was a treat, as was the USDGC coverage via Terry Miller, McFly, and SpinTV.

The PDGA and the major manufacturers (Innova, Discraft, Gateway, Legacy, Prodigy, Lat64, and Vibram) and all of the subsidiaries they assist (Discmania, Millenium, DD, Westside, etc etc), need to take stock and re-evaluate how we're presenting ourselves to the public. Find a way to make it realistic for the big video producers (McFly, CCDG, SpinTV, Smashboxx, DiscEye, PHP, DGM, Jomez) to band together and get us near real-time coverage of all of the big A-Tiers, NTs, and Majors. Disc golf is nearing a significant tipping point, and it's in the best interests of all of us to work together.

It not realistic that someone would watch 4-hours of slow-pace play-by-play and get hooked to this.

Well, call me a freak, but that's exactly what hooked me :\.

This coming from a German, where the sport is taking a tiny tiny bit of momentum, with a big potential to rise, but also big potential to stall IMO.

Footage from the european major (also delayed or shortened) would be an excellent opporunity to add to that momentum. My not-yet-disc-golf-hooked friends can't care less about an interview show at this stage.

Which they can't access anyway because of rights restriction - any info on this :confused:?

But all respect for what you're doing for the sport :thmbup:! I'm sure you will take the right lessons and I'm glad there will be footage from the final round - hopefully accessible in Germany.

I read through those media rights as well ...

While I have no problem with the intent of that document, and I actually think the basis for it is needed when it comes to filming top level events, I think it is incredibly short-sighted (even more so than I thought) to not allow a legit disc golf video production crew access to the course and players for filming.

I think an equitable compromise consisting of "We let you film from anywhere and at anytime BUT we need copies of your film (we'll acknowledge you as the creator and owner) and you need to wait X amount of time before releasing your video" could have been reached amicably.

I hope that these issues do not manifest themselves to bigger degree next month at Worlds or in October at USDGC, and deny us extensive coverage of these events. Watching the inordinate amount of videos CCDG et al produced for last year's Worlds was a treat, as was the USDGC coverage via Terry Miller, McFly, and SpinTV.

Doubt it. There have been media rights agreements in place for most of the big stateside events this year and that hasn't slowed anything down.

Still not up to date here on this thread..

But from what I am gathering it sounds like their is some type of ban on filming.

What?

Desperate for coverage on this one because of the beauty of the course. Someone should be fliming this one despite anyone's great plan.

You can do both: film in the short term and having something layed out for the long term improvement.

Depriving fans of coverage causes you to loose fans!

Latest posts