• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 European Open coverage thread/split from Tournament thread

Except no one but us care. Ive pitched DG to local outlets and they dont even know what I am talking about with 5 courses within 5 miles..... Finland must be a DG dreamland.

What exactly did you pitch these outlets? Did you say "hey, here's a sport to broadcast, hop on it" or did you say "hey, here's a fully produced product for you to put on the air"? Their response is going to differ based on how much effort/expense they have to put in to get the show on air.

From what I gather regarding the EO, Jussi contracted a production company to make the broadcast then went to the television outlet and offered them live (and probably relatively cheap) programming for their airwaves. No idea what the station normally airs on a Sunday afternoon, but clearly the EO had some appeal to them compared to the alternative, otherwise they wouldn't have aired it. Maybe it wouldn't be a national television station/network in the US, but I can certainly see a similar thing working in the US with a local broadcast station or a smaller profile cable outlet at the very least.

For years we've all wished we could see disc golf on ESPN or some equivalent, but the attitude is always "why don't they come out and cover us" when the answer is probably that we need to create the product and sell it to them instead of hoping they'll come out and do all the work and foot all the bills. For better or worse, that's what the Emerging Sports Network show is trying to do. Maybe someone will come along with something better?

What exactly did you pitch these outlets? Did you say "hey, here's a sport to broadcast, hop on it" or did you say "hey, here's a fully produced product for you to put on the air"? Their response is going to differ based on how much effort/expense they have to put in to get the show on air.

From what I gather regarding the EO, Jussi contracted a production company to make the broadcast then went to the television outlet and offered them live (and probably relatively cheap) programming for their airwaves. No idea what the station normally airs on a Sunday afternoon, but clearly the EO had some appeal to them compared to the alternative, otherwise they wouldn't have aired it. Maybe it wouldn't be a national television station/network in the US, but I can certainly see a similar thing working in the US with a local broadcast station or a smaller profile cable outlet at the very least.

For years we've all wished we could see disc golf on ESPN or some equivalent, but the attitude is always "why don't they come out and cover us" when the answer is probably that we need to create the product and sell it to them instead of hoping they'll come out and do all the work and foot all the bills. For better or worse, that's what the Emerging Sports Network show is trying to do. Maybe someone will come along with something better?

Years back disc golf live pushed to get their stuff out on more local TV outlets. It is a well done production which is just like many others you see on the local access TV channels. I provided data cd's with copies of multiple episodes and then had to fill out applications and other forms. After following up multiple times there was no movement on it and I gave up. Was just something fun to do in the winter but honestly no one really cares about DG or knows what it is.

Years back disc golf live pushed to get their stuff out on more local TV outlets. It is a well done production which is just like many others you see on the local access TV channels. I provided data cd's with copies of multiple episodes and then had to fill out applications and other forms. After following up multiple times there was no movement on it and I gave up. Was just something fun to do in the winter but honestly no one really cares about DG or knows what it is.

Thanks for the efforts, AftC. Local access stations are sometimes easy to work with, other times not so much.

Quick trivia: Which world champion was introduced to Disc Golf via community access television? That would be Nate Doss. True story. Everybody has to start, somehow.

Disc Golf Live remains available on DVD/Blu Ray for folks who want to submit the programs to their local access stations for broadcast. The show is all about bringing DG to new faces in new places and established disc golfers enjoy it as well.

Disc Golf Live also welcomes your video productions. We've featured CCDG, PHP, ClashDVD, SpinTV, and many other productions through the years and welcome all voices to join the mix. Tourney coverage, course tours, player profiles, throwing technique, its all good. With DGL broadcast in several million homes across the country, we like to think at least a few folks are tuning in.

If you have a station in town and want to help bring publicity to our sport, drop me a note and I'll help you through the process.

Best regards,

Joe

sounds like SpinTV listened to the "constructive criticism" and wants to do next-day vids for USDGC

8NNlue0.jpg

... although the final 3 holes live would be pretty sweet :|

sounds like SpinTV listened to the "constructive criticism" and wants to do next-day vids for USDGC

8NNlue0.jpg

... although the final 3 holes live would be pretty sweet :|

So....does this mean Spin has exclusive rights to USDGC?

So....does this mean Spin has exclusive rights to USDGC?

I guess we'll find out. Live footage via Smashboxxtv I think would be the ideal live coverage IMO (plus next day vids via SpinTV ... and if they want to do their wrap-up show using clips from during the day).

If there's no live footage that'd be a shame

I guess we'll find out. Live footage via Smashboxxtv I think would be the ideal live coverage.

If there's no live footage that'd be a shame

Doesn't DGPTV usual do the live coverage? I feel like Worlds and USDGC are both always on their schedule?

Why wouldnt he just contact those who already have proven they can do it and already do for events?!

Partner up jeeez DG what a joke. This media stuff is laughable like we have some fox vs cbs vs nbc vs abc thing..........

Why wouldnt he just contact those who already have proven they can do it and already do for events?!

Partner up jeeez DG what a joke. This media stuff is laughable like we have some fox vs cbs vs nbc vs abc thing..........

Seriously. Let's not turn this into another Emerging Sports Network-at-Worlds fiasco. That was live coverage, this is on site editing, but still. Just team up with CCDG or Jomez and call it a day.

now of course, we must leave open the possibility that this has nothing to do with USDGC as well ... can't go jumping to conclusions all wimbly pimbly like how ratings are

I doubt it. It's still on public property.

If you want to do video/media at USDGC you can't just show up, you need to get the ok from them/whoever is in charge of their media.

I believe last year that John Duesler/Emerging DGPTV was in charge of that and it appears that Spin18/TV is taking over that role this year.

I did learn that "showing up without asking permission and you will get all the crap" during Jussi's first European DG events.

2007 one of the staff members followed me and kept yelling "bossy crap" behind my back. Stay behind the fence, stay out of the road etc. I was behind the fence and off the road. All my footage was just stupid sounding crap.

Gotta say "made impossible by Innova". I can tell there was just handful of spectators.

I still purchased lots of merchandise during last days for supporting events. I did that until European Open 2011.

2009 and 2011 It was Terry Roddy who made me room to film European Open events. Without him there wouldn't have been much Tube vids.

If someone wondered why I did film 2009 second card final, it was Jussi's call. They had few "pro film guys with pro gear" and later the TV event producer asked my footage for 30 minutes YLE program. He saw my Tube vids and wanted same stuff.

about SpinTV works: It didn't cost to Jussi one single dollar. My insurance company paid me.

Why I denied to work with SpinTV after European open? A saw Jussi's feedback to my insurance company what he thought about my work. Just makes my wonder how he got nerves to call me after that crappy backstabbing statement. There's no point to work with someone who constantly thinks like that.

Some of you noticed on this thread Jussi talks another and means something else. I got enough from that too.

Jussi did censor JR's post about European Open 2013 and left his own "info" for everybody to see (Finnish Frisbee Association's forum). After that censorship I stopped posting anything to FFA's forum.

European Open 2013 Round 3 hole 7 I got Simon's ace and I was standing next to the basket. I tried to talk to Jussi about posting Simon's ace to YouTube. He just didn't give me a chance. I waited couple of hours after round as there was distance show case on hole 18. I can understand that YLE live program was priority number one and nothing can look better. Jussi has gone into "mute mode" during previous events so I wasn't surprised.

After reading 2015 media rules I was pretty much sure there will not be any room for me to film. I have too much experience with Jussi's team.

Some of you might not know YLE's funding is paid from government budget. So they have an obligation to make programs about popular sport events. Not just European Open.

Oh' and Jamie's "call out" was just playing blame someone else card. I did visit European Open course during that day and followed top card for 15 minutes. Won't happen again and I only filmed spectators round 9 holes. I promised to help one of the European Open film crew member. Otherwise I wouldn't have touched camcorder or cell phone :).

I'm sorry to write this kind of post. Just wanted to clear air a bit. I'm not interested to talk about it anymore. Got better things to do.

Luckily we have very good scene here so I can pass all Discmania stuff.

I'd like to apply a little logic to this situation. First, if we acknowledge that coverage has value, then wouldn't we expect the people who are in control of the event to want to control that coverage? Second, if image matters, and if there is one thing North Americans should understand, image matters, then wouldn't you want to control the image of your event and how it's handled?

While many may not like what is going on in disc golf, in terms of media and coverage, the truth is that it shouldn't surprise anyone. It isn't dissimilar from what goes on in any other sport. The notion that it's only disc golf, therefore, is to simplistic. You wouldn't show up at any event for any sport and expect to set up shop. Remember, most football arenas are public property for the most part. They are owned by the tax payer. No one shows up on Sunday expecting to film. Same goes for surfing, an event held on public beaches. You don't get to swim out on your board with a Go Pro and film.

The intrinsic value of event video, relative to marketing, and the quality of that product, has grown exponentially over the last 10 to 15 years. Yep, it's still early in the game. The foresight of Innova, and others in controlling that product, and it's access, is savvy and part of any corporation's business process. The event is for all practical purposes, theirs. For those who don't like it, well, play in your local club's events, and ignore what is happening on the national and international stage since it doesn't fit your notion of what should happen.

Whether we like it or not, we live in a capitalist society. The behavior of Innova, and other people and corporations in this context is very typical. In a non-capitalist society, you wouldn't be told no, you'd be arrested for being a bother.

To the crux of this post. The market drives what happens, if the market was there for live coverage, you'd get it, providing that the event controller felt it was in their best interests. If the feeling was that live coverage was bad, then you wouldn't get it even if it was available. Two factors control this, player behavior, and public comment. When you have a constant stream of inappropriate player behavior, think Nikko, then those in control aren't going to want live coverage, it hurts the event and product sales. When the public commentary is harsh, "man that guy following the lead was really boring," then the event producer and advertisers aren't going to be interested. This is the real world. If we want live coverage, we need to be supportive, no matter how bad it might seem, and we need to encourage the players to present in a professional manner at all times.

Last, I read several times up stream that no one knows about disc golf. Those guys are wrong. There has been a shift in the last 7 years. I frequently carry a disc with me during the day. It is a water test so to speak. It also allows me to introduce the sport to the uninitiated who ask, "what is that?" The number of people who know what a disc is, who show more than a passing interest, and who comment that they've seen disc golf on ESPN, has grown exponentially in the past five years. It does matter.

Yeah, I learned that whatever I would do with JMeresmaa he will have always ways to blame me. If Jussi feels like I'm hurting his image I can take off all European, Discmania and Jussi vids.

There wasn't ANY publicity in the first place here, years 2000 to 2008. I know it felt a bit stupid when event guys set up lots of fences to keep spectators away when there wasn't any spectators. Definitely felt like they don't want any publicity for their events.

Many of us here have put countless hours to help sport growing. Haven't you noticed? It doesn't mean we don't know each other or situation.

I purchased earlier DG events what I did find out. Marshall Streets etc. I wasn't that much happy about DG media products. So I decided to do something about it. Now posting more than 400 Tube vids (not all public) I can say things are getting better.

I sure do hope we get more some real competition.

I had reserved Hotel for 7 days in Skellefteå and bought 400 euros non refundable flight tickets. I was going to film Scandinavian Open 2015. I decided to drop out as Tomas was worried about the publicity. They had their pro media team. There wasn't point to go to make their media team feel themselves uncomfortable.

It's pretty much clear big events have NOW media plans. I'm not going to film those events unless things are water tight clear on paper.

I feel comfortable filming some Euro Tour and local events so I stay there.

Where was the point to blame me not to film European Open? Film to Jussi for free and he can bury all my stuff if he feels like. I'm done with that stuff.