• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 European Open coverage thread/split from Tournament thread

Thanks! that's even a better point-- a platform ive never even heard of got millions of views and we are worried about TV.

something doesn't make sense at all.
Twitch is a site that started out for streaming gaming/e-sports. They are 4th as far as 'total bandwidth' used on the entire internet behind Netflix, Google and Apple. Amazon just purchased the site for $970 million in straight. cash. homie.

The community is HUGE and top tournaments easily eclipse 100,000 concurrent viewers at any time. Some events have approached a million users connected and watching at any time.

I'm honestly surprised somebody hasn't tried streaming disc golf on the site. They have recently opened things up a bit by allowing things like poker, live music and such into the site. Just the exposure of being listed would probably attract more viewership than a normal youtube live stream.

I think that DG can still be presented both ways to cater to multiple "visions" of the "sport".

I :clap: Jussi and his actions to usher DG into a professional package to showcase the sport to the casual viewer, non player. This man is putting 110% into what he loves and he is getting the results that he wants for his intended actions.

I also totally believe that the filming aspect should be available to the core fans. I will watch 4 hours of coverage if I can, I will watch the edited down coverage too and enjoy them both. I really wanted to see some card following action from the EO :(. We were short changed on so much action and we were "updated" about how awesome it was on the aftershow :confused:.

I did enjoy the aftershows, as I watched all the "coverage" or lack there of. I just felt shortchanged when the recap we got to see was followed by NO view of the "show" itself.

Well, after the last post form Jussi:

"I have hired my good friend Jamie Thomas full-time for SpinTV starting on August 1st. He is a talent that I wanted to have on my team. We have also agreed that we are not going to comment on this forum anymore".

I am sad to see him and JT depart from DGCR. I liked JT being around here and enjoy his work for the SpinTV. Sure he can kick out the soap box and piss people off but you cant hate somebody for having passion for what he is doing. Trust me, I can get fired up and piss off people too!

Well growing a "sport" means the hardcores will ultimately hate what DG will become. When/IF the mainstreaming happens...you will continue to play for no one but you and remember how awesome grassroots DG used to be.

Enjoy DG as you see fit, big or small, mainstream or underground, care or dont care, as for me I will be throwing regardless to the course of... " The Disc Golf Future"!

I agree with Aim, it has been a long running series of events on why people don't like Jamie. Part of the reason I won't watch anything spintv, I was insulted by the guy behind it a while back and made the decision it wasn't worth it. He also stated I wasn't needed either.

I've kept my mouth shut on this issue since practically the beginning of our existence, but I'd like to address it briefly here.

In order to have a better understanding of what we're all about, it's best to not use other "round coverage videographers" as a comparison tool. From the beginning we (and I was the strongest voice on this opinion) never wanted to do round coverage at all. We only have undertaken it as a temporary measure to beef up our tournament coverage video numbers so that we have a more comprehensive library.

Let me say, I'm very sincerely happy that there is a need being satisfied by The Disc Golf Guy and McFly (among others), however we are not here to compete in the same space. In other words, we are here to change the media scene, not join it. To be very blunt and candid with all of you, I have no desire to do what they do or be encroaching on their style. They do a GREAT job, and other than approaching the same idea of round coverage with small stylistic differences (i.e. a different editing pace, our signature professional "polish", and a unique commentary style) I do not feel that there is much to be added to the game's media-sphere in the big picture sense. It would basically be re-inventing the wheel.

:|:rolleyes:

You know its bad when NOLAN, of all people says this:

jtacoma for someone that makes money off discgolf (or at least i hope you do) i think you ought to act more professional. ive thought this for awhile. also being employed by innova it isnt surprising that you defend dunipace.

I'm employed by Innova? Does everyone know this but me? Is this your way of throwing me a surprise congratulations party???...aww you shouldn't have! I feel so under-dressed!

(aside) I wonder if I should tell him...but maybe he bought me a cake...maybe it's a face cake...I do love face cake...

Aww hell, guilty face cake doesn't taste as good...OK Sorry guys, I'm not employed by Innova. Party is over, leave the six packs and head home...watch the flowers though on the way out I just planted those! .

well I guess he was only partly correct. as if that wasn't your end goal this whole time :doh: Duces! Good luck...

And this is why we can't have anything nice guys :thmbup: :clap:

:doh: :doh: :doh:

I hope SpinTV won't stop youtubers from filming in USDGC.... or any other future event for that matter.

Siiiigh.

Nothing more ungrateful than disc golfers. I deal with this all the time with Hucking Aces. People blasting us on YouTube saying we need better cameras, microphones, tripods, editing software, etc. Telling me I'm "too fat to be a disc golfer" or telling Pete he sucks because he throws lever arm. People telling me my voice is annoying. My favorite was the classic "**** the troops" on our Gateway Chief review. The saga of my Dagger video. People telling me I should be reviewing different discs, or more discs. it goes on and on. People super critical like it's my job to give them free YouTube videos. I've quit a few times with Pete talking me back into doing videos.

I don't know anything about jTacoma, but I can assume he makes money off SpinTv. I think the Disc Golf Guy might as well, but I'm sure it isn't much. Point is: there is very little money in disc golf coverage. It's not something that people can make a true living off of; not yet. There is a huge amount of bitching in this thread about FREE DISC GOLF COVERAGE. Like it's your God-given right to get free live tournament coverage from Europe, with professional English commentary on each hole.

And the people who say "oh I'd rather pay for it" then why haven't you in the past? Disc Golf Planet and Smashboxx aren't making money...that's why they don't cover ever Major.

I suggest we ALL get over ourselves. People who create content: do the best you can, and don't tie your ego to what random internet people say. If you don't enjoy making videos anymore, then quit. There are not enough internet disc golf fans to mourn your loss.

People who view content: disc golf is not a viable "sport," especially from a filming/broadcasting standpoint. Speak with your views. Don't like SpinTV? Don't watch. Want to pay for live coverage? Donate 100 bucks to Smashboxx to allow them to do more.

Face it: disc golf is small potatoes. And we, the internet DGCR collective, are too self-important and egotistical for our own good.

And for the people saying they were "shortchanged:" you can't be short changed when you didn't pay for something in the first place.

And for the people saying they were "shortchanged:" you can't be short changed when you didn't pay for something in the first place.

Regarding this and the post above it by AndyJB:
I couldn't agree more, and you expressed yourself well.
As I've said before (along with a few others), it's why we can't have nice things...

I don't think I saw anyone say they were "shortchanged" so why would you quote that word? Most people just said their super genius next level strategies were stupid. How does discmania pay for the coverage then? Customers. Think before you type, and don't twist things for your agenda.

My perception of the whole thing: the coverage was geared toward Finnish disc golf fans, not the international audience. They could either target the smaller audience and provide a really good product, and thereby show what disc golf on TV could be, OR they could cater to the international market and produce an inferior product that would be complained about and wouldn't showcase disc golf or disc golf coverage. They succeeded in what they set out to do. The problem is that most of us wanted the other option.

If we want international coverage (or at least North American coverage), we need to do the work networking like Jussi did. We need to get the sponsors and the equipment and the media contacts to get it done. I think that the European Open coverage can help with that, if we let it.

I don't think I saw anyone say they were "shortchanged" so why would you quote that word? Most people just said their super genius next level strategies were stupid. How does discmania pay for the coverage then? Customers. Think before you type, and don't twist things for your agenda.

Hook, I did use the term "shortchanged" in my post from this morning :D.

Andy, Streets and everyone else...this was just an expression to prove how I felt about the "after show" covering the "main show" that was not presented for viewing in the first place.

My perception...

If we want international coverage (or at least North American coverage), we need to do the work networking like Jussi did. We need to get the sponsors and the equipment and the media contacts to get it done. I think that the European Open coverage can help with that, if we let it.

Except no one but us care. Ive pitched DG to local outlets and they dont even know what I am talking about with 5 courses within 5 miles..... Finland must be a DG dreamland.

Not for nothin', but as a guy who is not involved in creating content in any way, I would just like to say thank you. Thank you for the chance to view these events, in any capacity. Thank you for the labor of love that is disc golf. Thank you for the slick 4k whatever camerawork, the commentary, the guest commentators. Hell, thank you punk kids for your crappy video footage of casual rounds in Midwest hell. Thank you all, because I am grateful for the chance to fall asleep on the couch at 5am watching this game.
That is all.

Finland is NOT the USA. Finland IS a "Disc Golf Dreamland". Please take 2 minutes to read this. Especially those of us that seem to know everything about Finland.
http://allthingsdiscgolf.com/want-disc-golf-to-grow-follow-finlands-lead/

I may not throw Discmania. I may not like their product. I may have had a poor customer service experience with them. I don't have to like Discmania, But, I will not go on and on talking S!@# about things I have no idea about. This thread is just asinine.

If you think you know what Jussi has done for Discmania, disc golf in Finland, or anything else people think they seem to know better than Jussi on, give him a jingle. I am sure he would Love to hear your expert opinion.

Jussi has been a huge part of Finland "growing the sport" the way it has there. If you don't like his approach, so be it. But, don't talk like it hasn't been successful and he doesn't know his stuff.

Oh, and the reason disc golf doesn't grow in the USA like it does in Finland is because the general attitude of the sport here is well represented in this thread. Not the best business model for anything, IMO. :clap::clap::clap:

Three people in this thread have used that exact word.

Maybe you should READ before you type, hot shot.

I think that DG can still be presented both ways to cater to multiple "visions" of the "sport".

I :clap: Jussi and his actions to usher DG into a professional package to showcase the sport to the casual viewer, non player. This man is putting 110% into what he loves and he is getting the results that he wants for his intended actions.

I also totally believe that the filming aspect should be available to the core fans. I will watch 4 hours of coverage if I can, I will watch the edited down coverage too and enjoy them both. I really wanted to see some card following action from the EO :(. We were short changed on so much action and we were "updated" about how awesome it was on the aftershow :confused:.

I did enjoy the aftershows, as I watched all the "coverage" or lack there of. I just felt shortchanged when the recap we got to see was followed by NO view of the "show" itself.

Hey hook_nuts...here's just one instance from mere hours before you posted. Hmmm...peculiar....