• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pros and Their Manufacturers

Happy ain't real? :confused:

Tiger dominated the tour on par 5s.

Jack said that in spite, not to be nice. He wanted longer courses where Ams have zero chance to beat him.

Having read "my story", I don't see this in Jack's perspective. His early goal was to emulate Bobby, and win a grand slam as an amateur player.

Jack's strength was his distance, but he has said, in many occasions and in his books, that technology is hindering the game. Specifically, the ball. Read his philosophy on course management and design. He is absolutely not against par 3s, neither does he think they equalize an "am" to a pro.

I'd like to see the actual passage you are referencing, been a while since I read his book.

Here are two Jack Nicklaus quotes. Although he was initially into power designs, once he got more experience, he came around to these points of view:

1. Golf is primarily a game of precision, not power. As Jack always says, "It's a thinking man's game. That's what makes it fun." And his belief is that length in itself does not spell quality, let alone fun. All Nicklaus-designed courses demand that a golfer play powerfully only as an occasional variation from playing accurately and with finesse. "I want a player to use his brain, his guile and his courage much more than his muscles," says Jack.

2. "Build par-3's that can be reached with iron clubs. "Most of the par-3's I've designed are between 140 to 210 yards - 220 is as far as I go," says Jack. "I like par-4's that are within the reach of most golfers if they hit two good shots. And I prefer par-5's that aren't automatic two-shotters for the strong hitter, yet offer the average player a birdie opportunity if he thinks and strokes well."

Having read "my story", I don't see this in Jack's perspective. His early goal was to emulate Bobby, and win a grand slam as an amateur player.

Jack's strength was his distance, but he has said, in many occasions and in his books, that technology is hindering the game. Specifically, the ball. Read his philosophy on course management and design. He is absolutely not against par 3s, neither does he think they equalize an "am" to a pro.

I'd like to see the actual passage you are referencing, been a while since I read his book.
Pretty sure it was a video/documentary and he was young. I didn't say he was against par 3 totally. He just said they were the great equalizer.

Found a similar quote:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=48428.15;wap2
"I read somewhere how very short-hitting Corey Pavin makes up most of his strokes (on the course, and against the best players in the world) on par 3s. Yes, the lowly Par 3 - the great equalizer! "

Also found this old thread about equalizer courses:
https://discussion.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=19692

Here are two Jack Nicklaus quotes. Although he was initially into power designs, once he got more experience, he came around to these points of view:

1. Golf is primarily a game of precision, not power. As Jack always says, "It's a thinking man's game. That's what makes it fun." And his belief is that length in itself does not spell quality, let alone fun. All Nicklaus-designed courses demand that a golfer play powerfully only as an occasional variation from playing accurately and with finesse. "I want a player to use his brain, his guile and his courage much more than his muscles," says Jack.

2. "Build par-3's that can be reached with iron clubs. "Most of the par-3's I've designed are between 140 to 210 yards - 220 is as far as I go," says Jack. "I like par-4's that are within the reach of most golfers if they hit two good shots. And I prefer par-5's that aren't automatic two-shotters for the strong hitter, yet offer the average player a birdie opportunity if he thinks and strokes well."

Reachable with irons, because better players will 2 with irons more than lesser players. Better players with woods will 2 more equally with lesser players. Same line of thinking with the power comments. It really says it in the first part of #1; golf is more about precision. Better players have more precision. So golf should test precision, not power. Because power is not a golf skill.

And Nikko's throwing mixed. Take that fascist single brand sponsorships!

Pretty sure it was a video/documentary and he was young. I didn't say he was against par 3 totally. He just said they were the great equalizer.

Found a similar quote:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=48428.15;wap2
"I read somewhere how very short-hitting Corey Pavin makes up most of his strokes (on the course, and against the best players in the world) on par 3s. Yes, the lowly Par 3 - the great equalizer! "

Also found this old thread about equalizer courses:
https://discussion.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=19692

Corey Pavin was a Top 10 PGA player for about 11 years, and made over 16 million. He was hardly just a "lowly am", he's was one of the best in the world for over a decade. "The great equalizer" does not mean that a standard hacker can beat a PGA player even 10% of the time. Par 3's have also been the bane of the best in the world, to lose their shot at a major championship (a la DJ & Mick, in recent years).

And let's be real, an "am" playing in a PGA tour event does not indicate that their game is like ours. Bobby Jones was an AM all his career.

Prodigy only updates their website about once every six months.

Seriously.
haha yeah that was kinda what I was getting at. Not an offering of proof but rather a statement of whether or not Prodigy's webmaster is earning his paycheck.

haha yeah that was kinda what I was getting at. Not an offering of proof but rather a statement of whether or not Prodigy's webmaster is earning his paycheck.

changing the game?

easy release technology?